Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
A440
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:46 am
Location: NJ

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by A440 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:03 am

Mr.BB wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:52 pm
Life is short, enjoy your ice cream, enjoy your life!
+1 I can give up many things, but ice cream is not one of them. Good ahead and treat yourself!
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

Tdubs
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Tdubs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:46 am

dustinst22 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:51 pm
I rarely buy ice cream, so when I do I'm willing to pay more for quality. Chunky Monkey a few times a year is worth the slightly extra cost.
Love my Chunky.

gretah
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by gretah » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 pm

If the ice cream has any kind of gum in it, I won't buy it. Real ice cream freezes hard. Remember that?

If you have an ice cream maker, it is super easy to make. Freeze part of the machine the night before.

Add a few ingredients, push the On button.

Soon you have real ice cream that is fabulous!

Lot of recipes on the internet and in the library cookbooks.

Alcohol inhibits freezing so add it 10 minutes before machine is done. I like to add Frangelico or Grand Marnier to chocolate ice cream.

tesuzuki2002
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 pm
https://www.talentigelato.com/

You’ll never go back.
That's good stuff!!! Expensive... but good. I pick it up on sale.

dmncs
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by dmncs » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:14 pm
Tillamook is my new grocery store favorite.
Tillamook is my go to if I need a full sized tub of ice cream. They don't sell anything smaller where I live. I tend to go with Ben and Jerry's (or Talenti) if I'm buying ice cream because if I bring it home I'm going to eat it and I'd rather bring home less and have higher quality.

The in-laws bought us an ice-cream maker as a gift this summer so I've been using that instead lately. Homemade sorbet is extremely refreshing this time of year and super easy to make.

Cycle
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Cycle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:07 pm

We only get ice cream at ice cream stores. It's $1-$7 a serving, depending on which one we walk to. 3 options within a mile.

Having ice cream in the house would be a constant temptation.

I save my money on housing, transportation, free grad school, tax efficient savings. Ice cream expenses are in the weeds, for us anyways.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Random Poster
Posts: 1887
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Random Poster » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 pm

dmncs wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:03 pm
Random Poster wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:14 pm
Tillamook is my new grocery store favorite.
Tillamook is my go to if I need a full sized tub of ice cream. They don't sell anything smaller where I live.
Funny that you say that.

In my dusty, remote, and barren West Texas town, the grocery store of choice only offers Tillamook in pints.

I never knew it came in any other size until I was in Amarillo wandering the frozen aisle and saw half gallons of Tillamook for sale (and in new-to-me flavors too).

Caduceus
Posts: 2104
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Caduceus » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:36 am

I used to eat lots of Ben and Jerry's but I've since come to find many of their offerings quite artificial in taste. I prefer the simpler Haagan Daaz versions these days - like the Haagan Daaz plain vanilla, which i think is really nice

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 pm

ohmygoodness. Ya'll are lucky if you can eat ice cream regularly and not gain too much weight.

To me, the only budget I'm worried about is the calorie budget, when it comes to ice cream...

I get a Baskin Robbins two-dip sundae once a year. Other than that, no ice cream for me.

Calico
Posts: 389
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Calico » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:19 pm

I am embarrassed to say the ice cream I buy is $12 a quart. It's one of my indulgences. I get it from a local creamery farm (they make it there). This stuff is so rich and full of butter fat that after you eat it, if you let the dish sit out, the melted leftover stuff separates.

The nice thing about it, is I don't eat much of it (And I can eat ice cream, it's one of my favorites). It's so rich I only eat about a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup at a time. I usually get strawberry, peach, or sweet cream (they use fresh fruit to make the fruit ice creams... like home made ice cream). The vanilla is okay too.

I don't like "things" in my ice cream (like chips, nuts, candy, etc). I like smooth ice cream. So I almost never buy Ben and Jerry's.

rbaldini
Posts: 1049
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by rbaldini » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:40 pm

catdude wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm
it's outrageously expensive.
Is it, though? If you bought a Ben and Jerry's ice cream quart every other week, it would amount to $143 per year. Maybe that amounts to a difference of ~$70 compared to alternatives. I bet that won't make a dent in your financial situation in the slightest.

People make the mistake all the time of thinking "oh no! this extremely cheap consumable is 3x more than a competitor! how foolish!", when, in absolute dollars, it's a triviality. Don't sweat the small stuff.

johan_s
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by johan_s » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Yes, it is. Especially when it’s on sale for $2.99 a pint. Freezer gets much more tightly packed.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3498
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:28 pm

I would rather have custard, myself.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

fposte
Posts: 1730
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by fposte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:32 pm

rbaldini wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:40 pm
catdude wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm
it's outrageously expensive.
Is it, though? If you bought a Ben and Jerry's ice cream quart every other week, it would amount to $143 per year. Maybe that amounts to a difference of ~$70 compared to alternatives. I bet that won't make a dent in your financial situation in the slightest.

People make the mistake all the time of thinking "oh no! this extremely cheap consumable is 3x more than a competitor! how foolish!", when, in absolute dollars, it's a triviality. Don't sweat the small stuff.
That's my take. If it's within my food budget and I enjoy it, I'll get it, or local frozen custard, or local dairy ice cream. I really enjoy food, and I don't live in a restaurant-intense area, so I'm generous with my supermarket spending.

ETA: I see Broken Man has also mentioned custard. I like our local frozen custard better than the Talenti's of the same flavor, but I haven't found anything local to compete with Talenti's black raspberry chocolate chip.

exoilman
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by exoilman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:39 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 pm
https://www.talentigelato.com/

You’ll never go back.
I like both. But they are very different. B&J. Have great combos. Talenti is smooth with deep flavor.
+1

randomguy
Posts: 8422
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by randomguy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm

fposte wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:32 pm
rbaldini wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:40 pm
catdude wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm
it's outrageously expensive.
Is it, though? If you bought a Ben and Jerry's ice cream quart every other week, it would amount to $143 per year. Maybe that amounts to a difference of ~$70 compared to alternatives. I bet that won't make a dent in your financial situation in the slightest.

People make the mistake all the time of thinking "oh no! this extremely cheap consumable is 3x more than a competitor! how foolish!", when, in absolute dollars, it's a triviality. Don't sweat the small stuff.
That's my take. If it's within my food budget and I enjoy it, I'll get it, or local frozen custard, or local dairy ice cream. I really enjoy food, and I don't live in a restaurant-intense area, so I'm generous with my supermarket spending.

ETA: I see Broken Man has also mentioned custard. I like our local frozen custard better than the Talenti's of the same flavor, but I haven't found anything local to compete with Talenti's black raspberry chocolate chip.
The other theory is that spending an extra 100 bucks (versus buying the cheap store brand at 1/3rd of the price) 50 times over a year adds up to 5k. Enough small stuff can add up to real money. In the end you have to decide if spending the extra money here maximizes your happiness.

Texanbybirth
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:44 pm

exoilman wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:39 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 pm
https://www.talentigelato.com/

You’ll never go back.
I like both. But they are very different. B&J. Have great combos. Talenti is smooth with deep flavor.
+1
Never had/heard of Talenti, but I'm going to swing by the store otw home and pick up some for my wife for today's Feast. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

User avatar
JamalJones
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 12:53 pm
Location: Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by JamalJones » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:47 pm

It was worth it for me - many years ago...

The regional grocery store chain in the city I lived in during the early 2000s would have B&J's ice cream on special in the winter - 2 pints for $5!! I used to go once a week to buy those pints, then go home and eat them in one sitting!

I weighed 40lbs more back then. Not sure why though....
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA + Vanguard Taxable: 80% equities / 20% bonds | Yap, yap, yap, yap, - the bottom line is ya gotta buckle up the chin strap!

marcwd
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by marcwd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:54 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:22 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:45 pm
https://www.talentigelato.com/

You’ll never go back.
I enjoy almost any frozen dairy treat, but that stuff is probably the most delicious grocery-store-bought I've ever had. :sharebeer
I thought that too for awhile. But then my grocery store started carrying Alden's....

fposte
Posts: 1730
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by fposte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:47 pm

randomguy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm
fposte wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:32 pm
rbaldini wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:40 pm
catdude wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm
it's outrageously expensive.
Is it, though? If you bought a Ben and Jerry's ice cream quart every other week, it would amount to $143 per year. Maybe that amounts to a difference of ~$70 compared to alternatives. I bet that won't make a dent in your financial situation in the slightest.

People make the mistake all the time of thinking "oh no! this extremely cheap consumable is 3x more than a competitor! how foolish!", when, in absolute dollars, it's a triviality. Don't sweat the small stuff.
That's my take. If it's within my food budget and I enjoy it, I'll get it, or local frozen custard, or local dairy ice cream. I really enjoy food, and I don't live in a restaurant-intense area, so I'm generous with my supermarket spending.

ETA: I see Broken Man has also mentioned custard. I like our local frozen custard better than the Talenti's of the same flavor, but I haven't found anything local to compete with Talenti's black raspberry chocolate chip.
The other theory is that spending an extra 100 bucks (versus buying the cheap store brand at 1/3rd of the price) 50 times over a year adds up to 5k. Enough small stuff can add up to real money. In the end you have to decide if spending the extra money here maximizes your happiness.
Sure, but that’s true of every expenditure that gets discussed here, from houses to cars to vacations, from coffee to watches to TP. There’s nothing special about ice cream; some of us budget for the kind we like in one category, some in others.

randomguy
Posts: 8422
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by randomguy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:01 pm

fposte wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:47 pm


Sure, but that’s true of every expenditure that gets discussed here, from houses to cars to vacations, from coffee to watches to TP. There’s nothing special about ice cream; some of us budget for the kind we like in one category, some in others.
which is why the whole discussion is useless. Nobody can tell you what luxury goods are worthwhile to you. You need to decide how much you want to spend on luxury and where the spending will maximize your happiness. Personally I think I get more happiness out of 3k of B&J than I would out of 3 hours in a first class airplane seat. Other people might feel the reverse. And I sure wouldn't want to bet on if B&J, Haag-Daaz, Talenti, or whatever would win a taste test. I also wouldn't want to bet on my tastes buds being the same as the rest of the population.

fposte
Posts: 1730
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by fposte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:28 pm

randomguy wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:01 pm
fposte wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:47 pm


Sure, but that’s true of every expenditure that gets discussed here, from houses to cars to vacations, from coffee to watches to TP. There’s nothing special about ice cream; some of us budget for the kind we like in one category, some in others.
which is why the whole discussion is useless. Nobody can tell you what luxury goods are worthwhile to you. You need to decide how much you want to spend on luxury and where the spending will maximize your happiness. Personally I think I get more happiness out of 3k of B&J than I would out of 3 hours in a first class airplane seat. Other people might feel the reverse. And I sure wouldn't want to bet on if B&J, Haag-Daaz, Talenti, or whatever would win a taste test. I also wouldn't want to bet on my tastes buds being the same as the rest of the population.
So one could similarly say that to some of us, the discussion is worth the time for its enjoyment value :D .

NightFall
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by NightFall » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm

I'm of the opinion there is no bad ice cream. However, I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned Blue Bell ice cream (or I missed it). It's only available in half the US though. I'm a purest and measure ice cream by how well their vanilla tastes. For me, Blue Bell is quite literally the best ice cream in the country by a large margin.

User avatar
chickadee
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by chickadee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 am

Do you like the Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla or Vanilla Bean? (or both)....

NightFall
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by NightFall » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 am

chickadee wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 am
Do you like the Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla or Vanilla Bean? (or both)....
Homemade vanilla... best selling flavor they sell. :)

Texanbybirth
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 am

NightFall wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm
I'm of the opinion there is no bad ice cream. However, I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned Blue Bell ice cream (or I missed it). It's only available in half the US though. I'm a purest and measure ice cream by how well their vanilla tastes. For me, Blue Bell is quite literally the best ice cream in the country by a large margin.
I'm the only native Texan I've met who thinks Blue Bell is disgusting. It's a good thing I can stand up for myself because that opinion regularly gets me in a lot of trouble, but I've had 34 years worth of suffering Blue Bell at parties and family get togethers and BBQs to form it. I was over the moon when they went out of business (or bankrupt, or whatever) a few years ago, and I was sorely disappointed to hear they were coming back into business a couple years later. It might be one of the most over-rated products (in general) in history.

:sharebeer
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

Random Poster
Posts: 1887
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Random Poster » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:25 am

Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 am
I'm the only native Texan I've met who thinks Blue Bell is disgusting. It's a good thing I can stand up for myself because that opinion regularly gets me in a lot of trouble, but I've had 34 years worth of suffering Blue Bell at parties and family get togethers and BBQs to form it. I was over the moon when they went out of business (or bankrupt, or whatever) a few years ago, and I was sorely disappointed to hear they were coming back into business a couple years later. It might be one of the most over-rated products (in general) in history.

:sharebeer
I don't hate it, but I do think that it has a particularly gummy mouthfeel to it, that the chocolate flavored offerings are rather weak on actual chocolate flavoring, and that the ice cream doesn't feel substantial in any way.

All in all, though, it works in a pinch, and if you sandwich it between two chocolate chip cookies, it serves its purposes.

I suspect its popularity though is more of a function of its relatively niche status, at least historically, and the whole "we're Texan; buy Texan" thing that goes on around Texas.

stoptothink
Posts: 6549
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by stoptothink » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:31 am

Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 am
NightFall wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm
I'm of the opinion there is no bad ice cream. However, I'm quite surprised no one has mentioned Blue Bell ice cream (or I missed it). It's only available in half the US though. I'm a purest and measure ice cream by how well their vanilla tastes. For me, Blue Bell is quite literally the best ice cream in the country by a large margin.
I'm the only native Texan I've met who thinks Blue Bell is disgusting. It's a good thing I can stand up for myself because that opinion regularly gets me in a lot of trouble, but I've had 34 years worth of suffering Blue Bell at parties and family get togethers and BBQs to form it. I was over the moon when they went out of business (or bankrupt, or whatever) a few years ago, and I was sorely disappointed to hear they were coming back into business a couple years later. It might be one of the most over-rated products (in general) in history.

:sharebeer
No, that title belongs to Salt Lick BBQ.

SrGrumpy
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:38 am

rebellovw wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:10 am
Ben and Jerry's used to be great - now it is garbage. Really shocked at how bad it went down hill -found it it was bought. A real bummer - Cherry Garcia used to be my favorite.
I seriously doubt all this. They still make it in Vermont - where you can visit the plant. It's not like Unilever outsourced it to India. If you have ice cream from the alleged good old days vs. the "garbage" ice cream, maybe we can get a lab to run tests.

My personal fave, though, is Swensen's - though these days it's mostly found in Southeast Asia. It was all I ate in Laos.
Last edited by SrGrumpy on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dknightd
Posts: 1878
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by dknightd » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:40 am

If you like it, and can afford it, why not?

Texanbybirth
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:38 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:25 am
Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 am
I'm the only native Texan I've met who thinks Blue Bell is disgusting. It's a good thing I can stand up for myself because that opinion regularly gets me in a lot of trouble, but I've had 34 years worth of suffering Blue Bell at parties and family get togethers and BBQs to form it. I was over the moon when they went out of business (or bankrupt, or whatever) a few years ago, and I was sorely disappointed to hear they were coming back into business a couple years later. It might be one of the most over-rated products (in general) in history.

:sharebeer
I don't hate it, but I do think that it has a particularly gummy mouthfeel to it, that the chocolate flavored offerings are rather weak on actual chocolate flavoring, and that the ice cream doesn't feel substantial in any way.

All in all, though, it works in a pinch, and if you sandwich it between two chocolate chip cookies, it serves its purposes.

I suspect its popularity though is more of a function of its relatively niche status, at least historically, and the whole "we're Texan; buy Texan" thing that goes on around Texas.
It ranks below Kroger's store brand (not even Private Selection) in my household. With any luck, it will never touch my childrens' tongues.

I'm quite thankful for this thread, though, if only for introducing me to Talenti.
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

User avatar
One Ping
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by One Ping » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:14 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:13 pm
My guests and my bad days appreciate whiskey.
:thumbsup

A little Talisker Distillers Edition with just the teensy-est drop of water ... and then gently warmed to around 115°F to bring out the aromatics .... aaaahhhh ....
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

SC Anteater
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by SC Anteater » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:23 pm

catdude wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm
So lately Ben & Jerry's ice cream has been on sale at the local grocery store... I've bought the stuff several times. I love it. The thing is, at the regular price (around $5.50 for a 16-oz tub) it's outrageously expensive. I imagine that, ounce for ounce, it's 3 or 4 times as expensive at other brands of ice cream. But when it's on sale (say $3.50 for 16 ounces) I think it's worth spending the money. What do y'all think?

My favorite varieties of B&J's are strawberry cheesecake, and peanut butter cup. Yummy. YMMV... If you have a favorite, please let us know!
I love B&J chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. No other brand's version tastes as good. But, it's gotten too expensive. I can occasionally find it on sale for $4.49 but that's still too much for me, so I've sadly given it up. But I'm bummed about it.

testing321
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:46 pm
Location: kansas city

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by testing321 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm

I think the question is, does buying better ice cream or wine motivate you to consume more or less? If the latter, spend more on better.

Texanbybirth
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:35 pm

testing321 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm
I think the question is, does buying better ice cream or wine motivate you to consume more or less? If the latter, spend more on better.
What if it's the former? :)
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

testing321
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:46 pm
Location: kansas city

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by testing321 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:35 pm
testing321 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm
I think the question is, does buying better ice cream or wine motivate you to consume more or less? If the latter, spend more on better.
What if it's the former? :)
That's a tough one.

rebellovw
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by rebellovw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:16 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:38 am
rebellovw wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:10 am
Ben and Jerry's used to be great - now it is garbage. Really shocked at how bad it went down hill -found it it was bought. A real bummer - Cherry Garcia used to be my favorite.
I seriously doubt all this. They still make it in Vermont - where you can visit the plant. It's not like Unilever outsourced it to India. If you have ice cream from the alleged good old days vs. the "garbage" ice cream, maybe we can get a lab to run tests.

My personal fave, though, is Swensen's - though these days it's mostly found in Southeast Asia. It was all I ate in Laos.
It tastes terrible now - I'm not making this up - you can use google. I actually did search as I was so shocked at how terrible it was - how much it had changed - I thought - am I imagining this? Found out I wasn't.

it used to melt nicely - almost a sweet cold milk - now it melts thick and goopy warm mess - it doesn't at all have the texture of quality ice cream.

Thanks Unilever!
Last edited by rebellovw on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protagonist
Posts: 6049
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by protagonist » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:24 pm

catdude wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:44 pm
So lately Ben & Jerry's ice cream has been on sale at the local grocery store... I've bought the stuff several times. I love it. The thing is, at the regular price (around $5.50 for a 16-oz tub) it's outrageously expensive. I imagine that, ounce for ounce, it's 3 or 4 times as expensive at other brands of ice cream. But when it's on sale (say $3.50 for 16 ounces) I think it's worth spending the money. What do y'all think?

That depends on four things:
1. How much you like Ben and Jerry's compared with other brands.
2. What are your alternatives. (Where I live there are many high-fat "gourmet" alternatives to B+J's, some locally produced).
3. The bottom line....how much is your budget strained, and in the long run, will spending $5.50 on a pint of ice cream make a difference that matters.
4. If the money does matter, would you get more pleasure out of eating B+J's a third as often as you would eating your ice cream that sells for 1/3 the price? (That is actually an unfair comparison, because the cheaper ice cream probably contains much more air and much less fat/calories, and thus you would eat much more of it in one sitting).

audioaxes
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by audioaxes » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:06 pm

i love ice cream but not a big fan of Ben and Jerrys. My rule of thumb on grocery store ice cream is $3.50 or less for a pint of gourmet ice cream and $3.50 or less for 2 quarts of Breyers or similar quality ice cream. On occasion I do splurge on a couple that I think are truly comparable to what you could get at a gourmet ice cream shop.

straws46
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:12 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by straws46 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:14 pm

Two things about this thread made me smile. Just thinking about B & J Phish Food and RadAudit's post.

Texanbybirth
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Texanbybirth » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:15 pm

Tried Talenti double dark chocolate with my wife last night. Wow, that stuff is good.
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

Starfish
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Starfish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:19 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:38 pm
Random Poster wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:25 am
Texanbybirth wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:54 am
I'm the only native Texan I've met who thinks Blue Bell is disgusting. It's a good thing I can stand up for myself because that opinion regularly gets me in a lot of trouble, but I've had 34 years worth of suffering Blue Bell at parties and family get togethers and BBQs to form it. I was over the moon when they went out of business (or bankrupt, or whatever) a few years ago, and I was sorely disappointed to hear they were coming back into business a couple years later. It might be one of the most over-rated products (in general) in history.

:sharebeer
I don't hate it, but I do think that it has a particularly gummy mouthfeel to it, that the chocolate flavored offerings are rather weak on actual chocolate flavoring, and that the ice cream doesn't feel substantial in any way.

All in all, though, it works in a pinch, and if you sandwich it between two chocolate chip cookies, it serves its purposes.

I suspect its popularity though is more of a function of its relatively niche status, at least historically, and the whole "we're Texan; buy Texan" thing that goes on around Texas.
It ranks below Kroger's store brand (not even Private Selection) in my household. With any luck, it will never touch my childrens' tongues.

I'm quite thankful for this thread, though, if only for introducing me to Talenti.
Talenti is good and honest, but middle of the pack and nothing to write home about. Don't set your hopes too high.
It's much better than B&J though.

Potential
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:10 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Potential » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:25 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:46 pm
Graeter's, ,Cincinnati ice cream, is my go to treat. We are Bogleheads so we can enjoy the finer things not to prohibit them.
+1 on Graeter's. I've had it a few times and it was delicious. Free Pint coupon made it all so better too.

centrifuge41
Posts: 1206
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by centrifuge41 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:26 pm

MJS wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:27 pm
Note that ice cream is sold by volume-ounces, not weight-ounces. Read the labels to compare grams (mass) per half-cup serving (= 4 volume-ounces) -- see how much ice cream ingredients you're buying (rather than air) with a premium frozen dessert product vs inexpensive. Sometimes there's a significant difference. And sometimes there's not.
Yep, this is important to keep in mind! A 16 oz super premium, like Ben & Jerry's, may have 2/3 the weight of a 1.5 gallon quart normal ice cream. While it may seem like you're getting 1/3 the ice cream, you're actually getting 2/3, so the price to ice cream ratio isn't so bad.

With that said, if you have Aldi/Lidl stores nearby, try their not-Ben & Jerry ice cream varieties. Some are surprisingly good.
Haagen Dazs is routinely sold for $2.50 at Safeway. Granted, it's not a real pint, as mentioned above. It's 14 oz.
I'm not a fan of Talenti. It's just not that good, and it routinely sells for $4.x... unless you have a Harris Teeter around that Bogo's the Talenti.

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Ice cream is something (1) I like but (2) I readily recognize is easy to abuse.

Therefore, my ice cream policy is as follows. Only eat ice cream:
(a) if out and about and it's convenient and fun to get a single portion at an ice cream (or frozen yogurt) place - often a "kid's size cone"
or
(b) if a really good ice cream like Ben & Jerry's is on sale and I haven't had it in a while (works out to maybe twice a year)

The super-economical gallon containers of ice-cream are absolutely off limits. I'd end up having some after every meal until it was gone.

The above may not be most economical in dollars per ounce of ice cream, but it keeps me in check, and I still get to enjoy ice cream from time to time.

Starfish
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Starfish » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Cost of ice cream is not in $ paid for ice cream but in diabetes, obesity etc.
Why would anybody buy those buckets of ice cream - except for a party - is beyond my understanding. What I want is the minimum amount of the best ice cream (and this applies to many other food products).

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3498
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:59 pm

I temper my intake of ice cream by eating the small cups DW keeps in the freezer for the grandchildren.

The portions are very small, so that doesn't shock my blood sugar levels as much as my preferred much larger portion. Regulates my intake nicely. I can enjoy ice cream without worry.

I use the same regulated intake of salty snacks by buying 1 ounce bags that parents throw in the children's school lunch boxes. I'm working my way through a box of 1 oz servings of Cheetos Flaming Hot flavor washed down by low-carb beer.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

protagonist
Posts: 6049
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by protagonist » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:00 pm

Starfish wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:19 pm


Talenti is good and honest, but middle of the pack and nothing to write home about. Don't set your hopes too high.
I agree with that assessment but there is a caveat.

They are the only ones I know with a screw-on container, which prevents the inevitable refreezing and freezer burn that you get even with high end ice cream. For that reason alone, if we didn't have so many good local homemade producers to choose from, I would buy Talenti over Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dazs or most of the other premium commercial brands.

That has to be worth something. Why the others have not caught on is beyond me.

miles monroe
Posts: 1279
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by miles monroe » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:01 pm

i rarely buy store ice cream as it is unhealthy, but when i do i almost always get B&J cherry garcia.

(i feel the need to say i hate the music of jerry garcia and the grateful dead.)

when i thru hiked the appalachian trail years ago there was a B&J store in manchester center, vermont. in addition to the normal offerings, they also sold "seconds" for an unbelievably low price. we ate so much while we were in town...

User avatar
blaugranamd
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:57 pm
Location: D-lux apt in the sky

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

Post by blaugranamd » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:44 pm

B&J is really good. If you have Graeter's in your area even better. I prefer expensive ice cream mainly so that I will eat less. A small spoon eating a smaller amount keeps me from gorging myself fat. Same approach to beer, he the pricey stuff so I can't afford to be an alcoholic
:sharebeer
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

Post Reply