Healthy fast food

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
livesoft
Posts: 68608
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Yes, I have seen a Chipotle bowl. It is not pure salt, but definitely has salt. Don't eat an entire bowl. Split it over 3 meals.
https://www.chipotle.com/nutrition-calculator
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by Elsebet » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:32 pm

When I travel by myself for less than a week, I make sure to get a hotel room with a mini fridge. Then after I check in I go to a nearby grocery store and buy an assortment of easy to eat finger foods like hard boiled eggs, hummus, whole wheat crackers, sandwich wraps, cheese, olives, nuts, chopped carrots, and fresh/dried fruit. I usually eat breakfast/lunch from this in my room. Dinner is usually a treat and eaten out, with friends/family I like to go to a sit-down place but if it's just me I'll get take out from a local non-chain place.

When my husband and I travel for vacation we always rent a place with a kitchen and cook almost all of our meals. I think it's fun to grocery shop and cook in another country. We prefer cooking at home to eating out in general.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

tim1999
Posts: 3629
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by tim1999 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:53 pm

I go with the grilled chicken items at Chick-Fil-A, and instead of fries, get a yogurt and granola parfait.

User avatar
Gort
Posts: 519
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:07 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by Gort » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:07 pm

JBTX wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:06 pm
*Comparatively* healthier fast food selections:

In all cases skip the fries/side, unless you can get fruit (and want the fruit)

Skip sugar drinks

Most cases grilled chicken sandwiches are OK, but skip the mayo. However most fast food grilled chicken sandwiches are pretty bland

Jack in the box chicken fajita pita (kind of expensive for what you get, but about 300+ calories)

Whataburger chicken fajita taco - actually fairly tasty and filling, 350+ calories
Whataburger chicken melt - not horrible around 400 calories fairly tasty
Whataburger chicken sandwich - OK. Skip the mayo- mustard is ok.

Chicken express - catfish - surprisingly low calories.

Taco bell - chicken tacos- soft- can get without cheese if you really want to go light. Even 2 regular tacos aren't bad. About 170 calories a piece.

Chick fil a - many of the sandwiches are pretty good. The fried ones even aren't that bad calorie wise. But they have many high calorie things on menu. Also good healthy salads (careful on dressing)

McDonald's - slim pickins
- filet of fish - hold tartar - not bad, but is usually kind of nasty
- double filet o fish - hold tartar-more satisfying, usually fresher (made to order) and manageable calorie wise.
- egg white delight less than 300 calories
- egg mcmuffin. - 300 calories

Wendy's - grilled chicken sandwich, chili, some salads (again watch dressing)

Burger King - nothing.

Occasionally even a burger isn't bad, if you skip mayo. 500 calories give or take.
McDonald's egg white delight is discontinued. The egg white was pre-cooked by the supplier and reheated at the restaurant. I don't think it will be missed.

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 741
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by LilyFleur » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:12 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:59 pm
Subway is a good suggestion but you have to watch for the dressings, mayo, cheese and the like. Look at the nutritional info posted - there's a huge range for the calories for any given sandwich because of this.
I like the Subway chopped salad but I opt for a large amount of the vinegar so I can make do with less of the actual salad dressing. Vinegar = no sodium, and really good for blood lowering sugars.

randomguy
Posts: 8402
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by randomguy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 pm
Yes, I have seen a Chipotle bowl. It is not pure salt, but definitely has salt. Don't eat an entire bowl. Split it over 3 meals.
https://www.chipotle.com/nutrition-calculator
Most people need more than 200-300 calories per meal so splitting it into 3 parts doesn't work out.

livesoft
Posts: 68608
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:20 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 pm
livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 pm
Yes, I have seen a Chipotle bowl. It is not pure salt, but definitely has salt. Don't eat an entire bowl. Split it over 3 meals.
https://www.chipotle.com/nutrition-calculator
Most people need more than 200-300 calories per meal so splitting it into 3 parts doesn't work out.
How many calories do they need? I see that Chipotle meals are 1500 and more calories each.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 13947
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Tom Noughton ate only fast food (and no salads either!) for a month, mostly McDonalds...and lost 12 lbs. He limited his calorie intake to 2,000 per day, 100 grams of carbs per day, and walked six evenings a week. Also, he completely refuted Morgan Spurlock's claim that he was eating 5,000 calories per day in his own 'experiment'; Spurlock was consuming far more food than he said he was to reach such a caloric intake.

One of the healthiest fast food restaurants I've personally been to is Pita Pit. They have many really tasty and filling items that are under 500 calories.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

JBTX
Posts: 5539
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Gort wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:07 pm
JBTX wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:06 pm
*Comparatively* healthier fast food selections:

In all cases skip the fries/side, unless you can get fruit (and want the fruit)

Skip sugar drinks

Most cases grilled chicken sandwiches are OK, but skip the mayo. However most fast food grilled chicken sandwiches are pretty bland

Jack in the box chicken fajita pita (kind of expensive for what you get, but about 300+ calories)

Whataburger chicken fajita taco - actually fairly tasty and filling, 350+ calories
Whataburger chicken melt - not horrible around 400 calories fairly tasty
Whataburger chicken sandwich - OK. Skip the mayo- mustard is ok.

Chicken express - catfish - surprisingly low calories.

Taco bell - chicken tacos- soft- can get without cheese if you really want to go light. Even 2 regular tacos aren't bad. About 170 calories a piece.

Chick fil a - many of the sandwiches are pretty good. The fried ones even aren't that bad calorie wise. But they have many high calorie things on menu. Also good healthy salads (careful on dressing)

McDonald's - slim pickins
- filet of fish - hold tartar - not bad, but is usually kind of nasty
- double filet o fish - hold tartar-more satisfying, usually fresher (made to order) and manageable calorie wise.
- egg white delight less than 300 calories
- egg mcmuffin. - 300 calories

Wendy's - grilled chicken sandwich, chili, some salads (again watch dressing)

Burger King - nothing.

Occasionally even a burger isn't bad, if you skip mayo. 500 calories give or take.
McDonald's egg white delight is discontinued. The egg white was pre-cooked by the supplier and reheated at the restaurant. I don't think it will be missed.
It wasn't very good, but I didn't think it was precooked.

The egg mcmuffin is the only fresh cooked egg item on the menu. If calories are the concern it only has 300 calories and was only 40 more than the eqq white delight.

https://www.rd.com/food/fun/mcdonalds-eggs/

JBTX
Posts: 5539
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:19 pm

victw wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:07 pm
The trick with limiting portion size - is to limit the heavy calorie stuff. You want to load up on low calorie dense items. Vegetables are your friends. And nutritious. Then when you hit the fast food and restaurants you won't be so hungry that your good intentions go out the window.

I like subway - skip the cheese and the other heavy cal things.
Chipotle - I take the middle ground here. I get the hard shell tacos - but only 2. Costs less than 3.
Chinese - have you ever weighed out a serving of rice and veggies? Turns out my local take out is 3 servings. Not 2. Again loading up on the veggies. Limiting the oils and skipping the fried stuff.

Whole foods has a great salad bar. 9 bucks for a lb of food. Turns out 3 lbs of food a day is about average for most people.

Learn more about calorie density. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gTLpTq1nQk This is the short version. Full length is also available.

Vic

Just went to Panda Express, they have several items under 200 calories and many 300 or less. The wok fired shrimp is really good. Key is to skip the rice. You can substitute vegetables side less than 100 calories.

I get what you are saying above but the problem for me is fat satiates hunger.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8475
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:24 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:20 pm
randomguy wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 pm
livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 pm
Yes, I have seen a Chipotle bowl. It is not pure salt, but definitely has salt. Don't eat an entire bowl. Split it over 3 meals.
https://www.chipotle.com/nutrition-calculator
Most people need more than 200-300 calories per meal so splitting it into 3 parts doesn't work out.
How many calories do they need? I see that Chipotle meals are 1500 and more calories each.
Nutritional sites often quote a "rule of thumb" of 10 X "Weight" per day. With adjustments if one is over or under ideal weight.
This to maintain weight.

Similar to 110 -- 'Age" = equities, maybe.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

JBTX
Posts: 5539
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by JBTX » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:26 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:34 pm
Tom Noughton ate only fast food (and no salads either!) for a month, mostly McDonalds...and lost 12 lbs. He limited his calorie intake to 2,000 per day, 100 grams of carbs per day, and walked six evenings a week. Also, he completely refuted Morgan Spurlock's claim that he was eating 5,000 calories per day in his own 'experiment'; Spurlock was consuming far more food than he said he was to reach such a caloric intake.

One of the healthiest fast food restaurants I've personally been to is Pita Pit. They have many really tasty and filling items that are under 500 calories.
You can lose weight on fast food. I have lost 20 lbs before on mostly fast food,mainly just limiting portions and sticking to items in my prior post. Track calories on my fitness pal to stay 2000-2200. You could eat 4 500 calorie meals and stay within that. The problem is I fall off the wagon and eventually gain it back. For me it isn't so much the fast food but nighttime snacking.

david99
Posts: 658
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by david99 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Whole Foods has some healthy options such as burritos or salad bar.

Calli114
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 12:54 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by Calli114 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:34 pm

A second for the Wendy’s chili unless sodium is a concern - I eat it even in hot weather, but avoid the crackers.

If I get a grilled chicken sandwich, I usually take off at least one side of the bun and can still eat it by hand in the car.

The Southwest salad at Chick-fil-A is good BUT the salsa dressing packet has >300 cal by itself so beware.

gnujoe2001
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:21 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by gnujoe2001 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 pm

+1 on packing a cooler for traveling by car, and a box with pre-selected foods. Works better for our family due to food allergies and sensitivities, but even without those restrictions the usual limited fast-food choices get old fast.

If you want some ideas on packing, we'll usually go with some hard boiled eggs, oranges, apples, berries, tortillas, lunch meats, crackers, cheeses, yogurts, , hummus, and the like. Pretty much eats between meals, or smallish lunch if we're not going to stop to get out to eat because 1 or more of the kids are napping. If you have a hot water insulated jug, you can certainly plan to make instant oatmeal, coffee, tea, instant noodles (watch the sodium), etc.

Counting calories or not, keeping a 6-7 gallon water container and filling up water bottles throughout the day is super convenient and could be a life saver if you get stuck somewhere.

Alternative to fast food places is the deli section at a grocery store. Some have pretty good sushi, as well as sandwiches, and other already hot options. Helpful to pack some small plastic plates and utensils.

For restaurants. We've done Panera. They have soups/salads. You can usually also get lite and tasty meals at Japanese restaurants. Mom & Pop shops are good finds too. If you end up at a McDonalds or Wendy's and don't want their salads, go with smaller entrees (cheeseburger instead of Big Mac), and reach for the bag of mixed nuts after you've finished the fries.

jlawrence01
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:13 am

El Pollo Loco

2 piece roasted chicken
Tossed salad which I topped with salsa
Broccoli - large portion
Tortilla

$5

Inexpensive, healthy, satisfying

------------------------------------------

Frys Food

One chicken breast, rotisserie
Two sides - squash and green beans
Roll

$4.75

More food than El Pollo Loco.

olliema
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by olliema » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 am

To letter of your question, I would add Starbucks as a place to grab a quick bite of food (Sandwiches and coffee for breakfast or lunch)

But I might reconsider the the question - how can I avoid road trips from impacting my health?

Make at least 18 of your 21 principal weekly meals a week healthy, unrefined food, consume less than 50 grams of refined sugar in a day, and over time the calorie counting and deal-a-meal way of thinking will go away - your weight will remain stable, and you will not be worried about road trips.

'Tactics'
1. Bring food in the car: walnuts, cashews, peanuts, bananas, oranges, apples, cacao nibs, 80% chocolate, fennel, carrots, olives, pita bread, mineral water. Add a cooler and you can bring yogurt, cheese, kefir, hard boiled eggs, sliced meats, hummus, grape leaves. You will never be hungry, and if eaten in the right proportions, you would struggle to overeat. Note almost all the food is not processed. You want to avoid processed food, especially sugar.

2. Be deliberate when you eat: If you do not eat for 12 to 16 hours your body will process the food you eat very differently. If you have your last meal at 7PM and wake up, have some coffee, water, and hit the road, when you eat at 12PM your body will metabolize the food differently. EDIT: I would consider this 1-2 days per week, not daily, or when you end up off the path e.g. you have sustained 2-3 lb weight gain and cannot seem to lose it. Also monitor how this may impact your mood or overall judgement, e.g. operating a motor vehicle.

3. Start your trip at a good weight: 2 weeks before your trip, plan to sustain your current weight for 10 days, or even better, a 1-2 pound loss. Your body will have a reserve and if you stack this with the fasting step above, you buy 1-3 days of buffer.

4. Exercise while on your trip: If you walk or do some physical activity that gets your pulse over 90 for 30 minutes in a day, you will activate systems in your body that change the way you process food. Stacking Step 2 and Step 4 will help your endocrine system work much better.

5. Water + Fiber: Travelling can disrupt bathroom routines from stress, lack of movement, and refined foods. When the digestive system slows this impacts your body in many ways, including weight. 3 liters of water and a ton of fiber will prevent this from happening. You want equal or slightly more trips to the bathroom than at home. 3 large fibrous fruits a day will fix this, and 2 tablespoons of ground flax meal also gives fiber & other nutrients.
Last edited by olliema on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

lostdog
Posts: 2048
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by lostdog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:17 am

Subway.
Total World Stock and Total World Bond. The simple two fund diversified portfolio. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

stoptothink
Posts: 6520
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by stoptothink » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 am

olliema wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 am
2. Be deliberate when you eat: If you do not eat for 12 to 16 hours your body will process the food you eat very differently. If you have your last meal at 7PM and wake up, have some coffee, water, and hit the road, when you eat at 12PM your body will metabolize the food differently.
Ha?

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 803
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by snackdog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:43 am

Watch your total caloric intake, exercise fanatically and you can eat whatever you like. Even the 34g fat Impossible Burger.

DesertDiva
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: In the desert

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by DesertDiva » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:51 am

Jimmy Johns now offers sandwiches in lettuce instead of bread (in my area at least - YMMV)

olliema
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by olliema » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:54 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 am
olliema wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 am
2. Be deliberate when you eat: If you do not eat for 12 to 16 hours your body will process the food you eat very differently. If you have your last meal at 7PM and wake up, have some coffee, water, and hit the road, when you eat at 12PM your body will metabolize the food differently.
Ha?
I would consider this 1-2 days per week, not daily, or when one ends up off the path e.g. a sustained 2-3 lb weight gain and cannot seem to lose it.

magazinewriter
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:39 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by magazinewriter » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 am

Compound wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:22 am
So many great ideas — thank you all for replying!

For some reason the idea of hitting the grocery store salad bar had completely skipped my mind when I put together my post. I think that’s an excellent idea and something I certainly will implement when on the road. Lots of other very helpful suggestions for restaurants as well, which will come in handy.

To those asking what healthy is to me: right now I’m focused on limiting total daily caloric intake. I’ve been using MyFitnessPal to count calories and find it very effective.
Hitting the grocery store is a must for me when I travel. In addition to the salad bar, stock up on fresh fruit, dried fruit and nuts. Most recently I enjoyed shopping at Sobeys in Canada, a really nice grocery store. If I’m going to be at a hotel for several days, I try to find one with a mini refrigerator - even in cities like London.

Of course I do indulge also with the local specialties.

stoptothink
Posts: 6520
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by stoptothink » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:37 am

olliema wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:54 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 am
olliema wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 am
2. Be deliberate when you eat: If you do not eat for 12 to 16 hours your body will process the food you eat very differently. If you have your last meal at 7PM and wake up, have some coffee, water, and hit the road, when you eat at 12PM your body will metabolize the food differently.
Ha?
I would consider this 1-2 days per week, not daily, or when one ends up off the path e.g. a sustained 2-3 lb weight gain and cannot seem to lose it.
I'm curious as to how you are suggesting the body processes food differently dependent on the length of time between meals.

stan1
Posts: 7715
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by stan1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:37 am
olliema wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:54 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 am
olliema wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 am
2. Be deliberate when you eat: If you do not eat for 12 to 16 hours your body will process the food you eat very differently. If you have your last meal at 7PM and wake up, have some coffee, water, and hit the road, when you eat at 12PM your body will metabolize the food differently.
Ha?
I would consider this 1-2 days per week, not daily, or when one ends up off the path e.g. a sustained 2-3 lb weight gain and cannot seem to lose it.
I'm curious as to how you are suggesting the body processes food differently dependent on the length of time between meals.
olliema: he has a Ph.D. in nutrition/obesity studies. Tread carefully, you probably won't win.

donfairplay
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:16 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by donfairplay » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:37 am
olliema wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:54 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 am
olliema wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:05 am
2. Be deliberate when you eat: If you do not eat for 12 to 16 hours your body will process the food you eat very differently. If you have your last meal at 7PM and wake up, have some coffee, water, and hit the road, when you eat at 12PM your body will metabolize the food differently.
Ha?
I would consider this 1-2 days per week, not daily, or when one ends up off the path e.g. a sustained 2-3 lb weight gain and cannot seem to lose it.
I'm curious as to how you are suggesting the body processes food differently dependent on the length of time between meals.
I read an article on intermittent fasting in the WSJ, and hadn't considered what you just typed.

Username checks out. :D

jks1985
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by jks1985 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:56 am

I guess this all depends on your definition of healthy.

Vegans think only vegan food is healthy.
Low-fat diet advocates think only low-fat is healthy.
Carnivore diets think eating meat is the only healthy thing.

For me, if I want healthy, I'll just go to a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods and get something that's as unprocessed as possible, or make my own salad from the bar.

livesoft
Posts: 68608
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:01 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:37 am
I'm curious as to how you are suggesting the body processes food differently dependent on the length of time between meals.
I'll throw this out there: Maybe the body can't do anything different, but the microorganisms in one's gut can certainly change over time and/or with diet or drugs that one consumes. And these microorganisms can have an affect on the compounds and molecules that they come in contact with. Does Intermittent Fasting of one or two days a week make a big difference in the kinds and amounts of species in one's digestive track? Who knows? It is something perhaps to be studied.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 7788
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by JoMoney » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:02 am

Pretty sure a period of fasting changes (a otherwise healthy persons) blood sugar levels, resulting in metabolic changes in breaking down other stores of energy to survive, and insulin levels in the body - which impacts how it "processes food" ... ( No ?)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

stoptothink
Posts: 6520
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by stoptothink » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:01 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:37 am
I'm curious as to how you are suggesting the body processes food differently dependent on the length of time between meals.
I'll throw this out there: Maybe the body can't do anything different, but the microorganisms in one's gut can certainly change over time and/or with diet or drugs that one consumes. And these microorganisms can have an affect on the compounds and molecules that they come in contact with. Does Intermittent Fasting of one or two days a week make a big difference in the kinds and amounts of species in one's digestive track? Who knows? It is something perhaps to be studied.
Possibly, we don't know a thing about the gut microbiome at this point. I'm just curious if someone has come across some research that I haven't and the initial post was pretty ambiguous (I really am not sure what it meant). I'm a huge proponent of fasting.

randomguy
Posts: 8402
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by randomguy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:17 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:20 pm
randomguy wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:13 pm
livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 pm
Yes, I have seen a Chipotle bowl. It is not pure salt, but definitely has salt. Don't eat an entire bowl. Split it over 3 meals.
https://www.chipotle.com/nutrition-calculator
Most people need more than 200-300 calories per meal so splitting it into 3 parts doesn't work out.
How many calories do they need? I see that Chipotle meals are 1500 and more calories each.
A chipotle bowl is 500-700 calories. I think it would be healthier to eat that instead of eating sour cream, quesu, and chips and what ever else you need to mix in to get the calorie count up to 1500 and just eating half of it.

livesoft
Posts: 68608
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 am

randomguy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:17 am
A chipotle bowl is 500-700 calories.
Ah, I see. You haven't learned the trick of asking for "extra" of many of the components at no additional charge. My millennial son taught me that trick. I don't get sour cream, nor queso, nor chips at Chipotle.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

randomguy
Posts: 8402
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by randomguy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:38 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 am
randomguy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:17 am
A chipotle bowl is 500-700 calories.
Ah, I see. You haven't learned the trick of asking for "extra" of many of the components at no additional charge. My millennial son taught me that trick. I don't get sour cream, nor queso, nor chips at Chipotle.
You don't get enough extra rice, beans, veggies, cheese (they charge for meat) or salsas to turn your 600 calorie bowl into a 1500 calorie one. You might get to 800.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 7788
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by JoMoney » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:26 am

Diet/Nutritional habits can be a funny thing. Since people act out their beliefs on diet on the regular basis they can hold their beliefs with a almost religious fervor. Lots of widely varying advice with "expert" advocates suggesting all sorts of extremes of what you should or should not eat to be "healthy".
I'm a strong advocate for moderation and balance. I don't always know what's right, but my experience has been that any extreme is usually wrong (in a broader context).
I miss Dr. Dean Edell of talk-radio and "Eat, Drink, and be Merry" (book) fame...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

kacang
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 am
Location: CA

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by kacang » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:44 am

Minimize carbs and portion control. Eg, In & Out (California burger chain) will replace the buns for their burgers with lettuce wrap. It's not on their regular menu, but they will do it if asked.

Jim Beaux
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by Jim Beaux » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:58 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:13 am
El Pollo Loco

2 piece roasted chicken
Tossed salad which I topped with salsa
Broccoli - large portion
Tortilla

$5

Inexpensive, healthy, satisfying

------------------------------------------

Frys Food

One chicken breast, rotisserie
Two sides - squash and green beans
Roll

$4.75

More food than El Pollo Loco.
Depending on diameter & recipe tortillas often rival the calories found in some small donuts. IE Tortilla 100 - 200 calories.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8475
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:53 pm

gnujoe2001 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 pm
+1 on packing a cooler for traveling by car, and a box with pre-selected foods. Works better for our family due to food allergies and sensitivities, but even without those restrictions the usual limited fast-food choices get old fast.

If you want some ideas on packing, we'll usually go with some hard boiled eggs, oranges, apples, berries, tortillas, lunch meats, crackers, cheeses, yogurts, , hummus, and the like. Pretty much eats between meals, or smallish lunch if we're not going to stop to get out to eat because 1 or more of the kids are napping. If you have a hot water insulated jug, you can certainly plan to make instant oatmeal, coffee, tea, instant noodles (watch the sodium), etc.

Counting calories or not, keeping a 6-7 gallon water container and filling up water bottles throughout the day is super convenient and could be a life saver if you get stuck somewhere.

Alternative to fast food places is the deli section at a grocery store. Some have pretty good sushi, as well as sandwiches, and other already hot options. Helpful to pack some small plastic plates and utensils.

For restaurants. We've done Panera. They have soups/salads. You can usually also get lite and tasty meals at Japanese restaurants. Mom & Pop shops are good finds too. If you end up at a McDonalds or Wendy's and don't want their salads, go with smaller entrees (cheeseburger instead of Big Mac), and reach for the bag of mixed nuts after you've finished the fries.
+1
Panera's is excellent.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57788
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:55 pm

I removed several posts discussing (or linking to youtube videos) the health benefits and effects of certain diets. This constitutes medical advice and is off-topic. See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

livesoft
Posts: 68608
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:58 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:38 am
You don't get enough extra rice, beans, veggies, cheese (they charge for meat) or salsas to turn your 600 calorie bowl into a 1500 calorie one. You might get to 800.
That makes me feel better about eating only one-third of a Chipotle bowl for each of 3 meals. I thought I might be getting too many calories, but now I can be unconcerned about that. Thanks!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
AAA
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by AAA » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:03 pm

As Chick-Fil-A was suggested here as a healthy alternative, I without comment and for information present the ingredients of their Nuggets, as listed on their website:

Chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breast meat nuggets, seasoning [salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, spices, paprika], seasoned coater [enriched bleached wheat flour {with malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid}, sugar, salt, monosodium glutamate, nonfat milk, leavening {baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate}, spice, soybean oil, color {paprika}], milk wash [water, nonfat milk, egg], peanut oil [fully refined peanut oil, with Dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foam agent added]).

Also from their website, 4 count of nuggets has 490 MG sodium; their Deluxe Sandwich has 1590 MG.

josehde
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by josehde » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:44 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:13 am
El Pollo Loco

2 piece roasted chicken
Tossed salad which I topped with salsa
Broccoli - large portion
Tortilla

$5

Inexpensive, healthy, satisfying
Amen to this! I am a huge fan of EL Pollo Loco. Salsa and chicken and freaking delicious.

Bacchus01
Posts: 3182
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:46 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm
What about Chipotle: Bowl, brown rice, black beans, black beans again, sofritas, no cheese, no sour cream, but everything else including corn, lettuce, guac, salsa ? Split the bowl among 3 people, too, or 3 meals for one person.

My local Tex-Mex will substitute grilled vegetables for the rice & beans in any dish, but once again one should only eat one-third of what is served and eat the rest over the next 2 to 4 meals.
That Chipotle is a LOT of carbs

victw
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by victw » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:51 pm


EnjoyIt
Posts: 2879
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:19 pm

I think most people on this thread are confusing low calorie with healthy. Just because the calories are low does not make it a desirable food. This should rule out pretty much almost all fast food which is full of chemicals and preservative. [Removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]

We road trip often, use a cooler and willing to cook using a hot plate. As CFM300 pointed out, just stop at the grocery store and pick up some real, non processed food.
CFM300 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Just go to any grocery store and buy some real food. You know, things like almonds, apples, avocados, bananas, cashews, oranges, etc. Even if you want prepared food, many grocery stores will have far better options than fast food restaurants. Some will even have fresh sushi.

jdb
Posts: 1609
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by jdb » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:44 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:19 pm
I think most people on this thread are confusing low calorie with healthy. Just because the calories are low does not make it a desirable food. This should rule out pretty much almost all fast food which is full of chemicals and preservative. Also, diet drinks are not healthy since nutrasweet actually increases your glycemic index. Nutrasweet makes your body increase fat stores. Crazy huh?

We road trip often, use a cooler and willing to cook using a hot plate. As CFM300 pointed out, just stop at the grocery store and pick up some real, non processed food.
CFM300 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Just go to any grocery store and buy some real food. You know, things like almonds, apples, avocados, bananas, cashews, oranges, etc. Even if you want prepared food, many grocery stores will have far better options than fast food restaurants. Some will even have fresh sushi.
Amen. Eat Real Food. From grocery store. Not processed high sodium from chain fast food joint. Or eat at good local non chain restaurant where locals eat. Look for police cars in parking lot. They know good local food. I love local bbq joints when traveling. And microbreweries. And family owned local restaurants. Where natives eat. Healthy Fast Food is an oxymoron. Have not eaten in fast food joint past 5 years. Too easy to purchase real food. Good luck.

livesoft
Posts: 68608
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:19 pm

jdb wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:44 pm
.... They know good local food. I love local bbq joints when traveling. And microbreweries.
Yes, the food is great in BBQ joints. The average BMI of folks you see in these places is unfortunately off the charts. Check it out the next time you are in one.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

criticalmass
Posts: 1318
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by criticalmass » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 pm

jdb wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:44 pm
EnjoyIt wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:19 pm
I think most people on this thread are confusing low calorie with healthy. Just because the calories are low does not make it a desirable food. This should rule out pretty much almost all fast food which is full of chemicals and preservative. [Removed -- mod oldcomputerguy]

We road trip often, use a cooler and willing to cook using a hot plate. As CFM300 pointed out, just stop at the grocery store and pick up some real, non processed food.
CFM300 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Just go to any grocery store and buy some real food. You know, things like almonds, apples, avocados, bananas, cashews, oranges, etc. Even if you want prepared food, many grocery stores will have far better options than fast food restaurants. Some will even have fresh sushi.
Amen. Eat Real Food. From grocery store. Not processed high sodium from chain fast food joint. Or eat at good local non chain restaurant where locals eat. Look for police cars in parking lot. They know good local food. I love local bbq joints when traveling. And microbreweries. And family owned local restaurants. Where natives eat. Healthy Fast Food is an oxymoron. Have not eaten in fast food joint past 5 years. Too easy to purchase real food. Good luck.
I disagree. Cava Mezze, Sweetgreen, Soupersalad, pollo loco, and many other fast food restaurants have excellent healthy options.

When I'm traveling for fun, I'm usually doing strenuous activities like hiking mountains, skiing, swimming, etc. so getting enough calories is important. Some places like Boston Market are decent if you watch the menu carefully. Chick fil A is also a decent choice and I'll even go to In and Out (not so healthy) once in a great while.

There are plenty of healthy options in every category if you look, although not every small town or village has good options or good supermarkets when traveling away from populated areas.

RobLyons
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by RobLyons » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:30 pm

Compound wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 pm
I’m back on the bandwagon with trying to be careful with what I eat. This is fairly easy to accomplish when at home, but when out on trips, family trips in the car in particular, it is much harder for me to control caloric intake. It seems that most convenient on the road food options are loaded with calories.

With that in mind, are there any reputable restaurant chains you seek out for a healthy (/healthier) meal when you’re on the road?

Thanks for the help!

The thing is, there is no healthy or unhealthy food.
Calorie deficit = lose weight
Calorie surplus = gain weight

So with the above in mind, one could lose weight while eating solely mcdonalds, ice cream, pizza, cookies, etc..
My approach has been to track macros, while aiming for 2-3 fruits and veggies per day.
So I aim for the smaller, cheaper burgers at fast food joints with a salad.. I don't avoid the "bad" food, just limit its consumption, or make up for it the day before/after. I also drink beer..

This has kept me +/- 10lbs 195lbs for over 5 years! Where in my 20s I was 215-235..
Best of luck! :D
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"

EnjoyIt
Posts: 2879
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:26 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:21 pm
jdb wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:44 pm
EnjoyIt wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:19 pm
I think most people on this thread are confusing low calorie with healthy. Just because the calories are low does not make it a desirable food. This should rule out pretty much almost all fast food which is full of chemicals and preservative. Also, diet drinks are not healthy since nutrasweet actually increases your glycemic index. Nutrasweet makes your body increase fat stores. Crazy huh?

We road trip often, use a cooler and willing to cook using a hot plate. As CFM300 pointed out, just stop at the grocery store and pick up some real, non processed food.
CFM300 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Just go to any grocery store and buy some real food. You know, things like almonds, apples, avocados, bananas, cashews, oranges, etc. Even if you want prepared food, many grocery stores will have far better options than fast food restaurants. Some will even have fresh sushi.
Amen. Eat Real Food. From grocery store. Not processed high sodium from chain fast food joint. Or eat at good local non chain restaurant where locals eat. Look for police cars in parking lot. They know good local food. I love local bbq joints when traveling. And microbreweries. And family owned local restaurants. Where natives eat. Healthy Fast Food is an oxymoron. Have not eaten in fast food joint past 5 years. Too easy to purchase real food. Good luck.
I disagree. Cava Mezze, Sweetgreen, Soupersalad, pollo loco, and many other fast food restaurants have excellent healthy options.

When I'm traveling for fun, I'm usually doing strenuous activities like hiking mountains, skiing, swimming, etc. so getting enough calories is important. Some places like Boston Market are decent if you watch the menu carefully. Chick fil A is also a decent choice and I'll even go to In and Out (not so healthy) once in a great while.

There are plenty of healthy options in every category if you look, although not every small town or village has good options or good supermarkets when traveling away from populated areas.
I think you are trying to say "healthier options" Unfortunately to be a chain, all food must come from a processing warehouse which also means it is full of things to help preserve it from spoiling, to keep its intended color or consistency, and whatever else they may need to do to make sure the product is exactly the same among all the restaurants in the country. Sure you can get a salad at McDonalds, but you can just as easily get a better salad at a grocery store where the veggies are fresher and its not mostly lettuce which has practically no nutritional value anyways.

Fast food and healthy just don't jive together. And yes, I said jive :)

The surefire way to eat healthy is to make it yourself or go to a restaurant that ensures good fresh ingredients. On the road it's hard, but reviews help. Traveling and eating healthy is not easy, but if you travel a lot, it is worth the effort.

User avatar
AAA
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:56 am

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by AAA » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Restaurant food is designed to attract and retain customers. As such, the levels of fat, salt and sugar are usually quite high. It's also designed to maximize profit, so the quality in many cases is low i.e. white bread, white rice, preservatives, etc.

Locked