Healthy fast food

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Compound

Healthy fast food

Post by Compound » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 pm

I’m back on the bandwagon with trying to be careful with what I eat. This is fairly easy to accomplish when at home, but when out on trips, family trips in the car in particular, it is much harder for me to control caloric intake. It seems that most convenient on the road food options are loaded with calories.

With that in mind, are there any reputable restaurant chains you seek out for a healthy (/healthier) meal when you’re on the road?

Thanks for the help!

Impromptu

Re: Healthy fast food

Post by Impromptu » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:41 pm

For restaurants, most of them have healthier options, you just have to request it. Even at fast food places simply requesting no mayonnaise goes a long way.

In the car apples, baby carrots, diet drinks, pretzels (salty food that is difficult to eat an entire bag, unlike potato chips and Doritos).

If you are so used to the junk food that eating healthy during the day means you will binge at night, then ease into this. For those used to their comfort foods, asking for a healthier option is an acquired trait which will be difficult the first multiple times. Just tell yourself that small and simple steps.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:42 pm

I travel a lot. When traveling, I consider Chick-fil-A and Subway health. I do not consider McDonalds, Jack-in-the-Box or Taco Bell healthy.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm

What about Chipotle: Bowl, brown rice, black beans, black beans again, sofritas, no cheese, no sour cream, but everything else including corn, lettuce, guac, salsa ? Split the bowl among 3 people, too, or 3 meals for one person.

My local Tex-Mex will substitute grilled vegetables for the rice & beans in any dish, but once again one should only eat one-third of what is served and eat the rest over the next 2 to 4 meals.
Last edited by livesoft on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Compound wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 pm
I’m back on the bandwagon with trying to be careful with what I eat. This is fairly easy to accomplish when at home, but when out on trips, family trips in the car in particular, it is much harder for me to control caloric intake. It seems that most convenient on the road food options are loaded with calories.

With that in mind, are there any reputable restaurant chains you seek out for a healthy (/healthier) meal when you’re on the road?

Thanks for the help!
What we did when going on road trips with the family:

Subways chop salad. (no starch/bread/carbs)
Get a large cooler for the car for road trips. Fill with healthy snacks and salads and non sugar drinks.
Avoid processed meats, sugar and convenience foods, pizza, and about 90+ % of what Wallmart/Safeway sells as food.
Zero fast foods: McDonalds, etc. Pure calories, zero nutrition.
Empty carbs: pancakes, breads, pizza, etc.
A fairly healthy meal can be had a most restaurants with careful ordering and substitution. IE: Grilled salmon plate, steamed or sauté vegetables instead of starch (potatoes, etc). Eat a salad. Delete bread, gluten, cheeses, sugar drinks, desert. Put half of the meal in a "take out" box "before" you eat.
Beef fats, animal fats, gravies, dairy, etc.

Pay attention to portion control. One can still get chubby with nutritious food.
Largest meals, breakfast, lunch. Smallest meals toward dinner because there's no activity after that to burn it so it gets stored as we sleep. Also, evening snacking. . . every calorie gets stored at night in places that expand the waistline.

FWIW: Eating well is a lifestyle rather than an on and off thing to control weight, etc.

It has been mentioned that one's baseline total daily caloric intake is 10 X Weight and adjust a bit up or down depending on the person. That is for maintaining weight. I went to WeightWatchers a million decades ago and learned this. (Once learned, I was able to keep my wonderful figure into retirement) :oops:

So, all of the above carries over from home to work to on the road.

j
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:54 pm

Chipotle salad with a meat and quac is a great option. Another option is something like flame broiler subtract out the rice and add veggies. Basically try to limit the simple carbs, find something with veggies and a protein. Obviously skip the soda.

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:00 pm

I was going to recommend Koo Koo Roo, but remembered I hadn't seen one in awhile. Upon checking I discovered they are defunct. So sad. This was fast food at its healthiest. It was an LA based restaurant and really awesome and quick.

RIP Koo Koo Roo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koo_Koo_Roo

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Another vote for the chipotle salad.

Also, grocery stores with prepared food bars often have an array of salad and veggie options. Pair it with a rotisserie chicken and you have a very affordable healthy meal.

A bit tricky to eat in the car but makes for a great picnic lunch or dinner back at the hotel!

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:03 pm

What's a road trip across this wonderful country without the occasional over-indulgence? Are you going to opt for pretzels and carrots over that roadside stand selling pecan pie? And what about all those microbreweries? Or coffee and a sundae at McDonald's? I have no guilt when I'm on the road, because I do penance when I get home.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:22 pm

If you are careful Chinese, and other oriental foods, can be fairly healthy if you avoid the fried entrees.

You can likely find local restaurants and reviews on your phone and or go with the Panda Express chain.

You would also need to watch the portion size.

Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:32 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:03 pm
What's a road trip across this wonderful country without the occasional over-indulgence? Are you going to opt for pretzels and carrots over that roadside stand selling pecan pie? And what about all those microbreweries? Or coffee and a sundae at McDonald's? I have no guilt when I'm on the road, because I do penance when I get home.
+1

I try to eat healthy at home. On the road though, give me a good BBQ joint. You can live a healthy life and still do things in moderation.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Just go to any grocery store and buy some real food. You know, things like almonds, apples, avocados, bananas, cashews, oranges, etc. Even if you want prepared food, many grocery stores will have far better options than fast food restaurants. Some will even have fresh sushi.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Subway is a good suggestion but you have to watch for the dressings, mayo, cheese and the like. Look at the nutritional info posted - there's a huge range for the calories for any given sandwich because of this.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Panera Bread.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:12 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:57 pm
Just go to any grocery store and buy some real food. You know, things like almonds, apples, avocados, bananas, cashews, oranges, etc. Even if you want prepared food, many grocery stores will have far better options than fast food restaurants. Some will even have fresh sushi.
A cooler with fruit in it is handy. McDonalds. Has scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I’m a member Of WW and fruit, vegies (not starchy ones), non fried chicken and chicken are high on the healthy list.

Chick-fil-a has grilled chicken, salads and I think even fruit salad.

OP have a great vacation.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:15 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:12 pm
CFM300 wrote:
A cooler with fruit in it is handy. McDonalds. Has scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I’m a member Of WW and fruit, vegies (not starchy ones), non fried chicken and chicken are high on the healthy list.

+1 for WW.
Highest benefit is learning about one's eating habits, etc.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Wishskates

Post by Wishskates » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:20 pm

We carry snacks and drinks with us in an ice chest, that helps a lot.

If we have to stop, I always look for a Subway. On their website, you can find a great nutritional calculator with check boxes allowing you to check mark a custom sub sandwich and watch the total calories change as you check and uncheck boxes.

I can make a 6" turkey sub with no cheese (can't eat cheese anyway) for either 280 or 290 calories, depending on my veggie choices that day. I strongly recommend playing with the calculator and building something as close to normal for you as possible.

The sub-300 calorie sandwich I always order now is one I already ordered, but before playing with the calculator I ate the sandwiches about 3 different ways. Seeing the calorie count really opened my eyes to what I was eating and now I just stick with turkey since it's such a low calorie option compared to the others.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:15 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
CFM300 wrote:

+1 for WW.
One of the biggest benefits for the retired me on WW is to try out the recipes. I’m learning to cook better with a lot of flavor but less calories. I recommend the new WW program very much.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:53 pm

It's more difficult to make suggestions when you don't say what you're being "careful" about eating.
People have lots of different nutritional needs, and there are lots of different diets. There are lots of contradictory ideas out there about what constitutes a "healthy" diet... and they might all be right in different situations.

FWIW, most fast food gives me the feeling I'm eating garbage. Most sandwich shops and El Pollo Loco I feel a bit better with.
On the road I like to eat a big full breakfast that's heavy on the proteins (not donuts), and skip the other meals... maybe snack on some fruit and nuts later in the day, maybe a V8, maybe a smoothie.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

LeviMama

Post by LeviMama » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:56 pm

For a wide variety of “clean eating” and plant based or low fat protein options - try Chipotle, Panera Bread, Zoe’s Kitchen. In a pinch, I will get a salad (dressing on the side) from McDonalds or Chick Fil A when getting the occasional food for my kiddo. Most every outlet offers some sort of side salad with grilled chicken option. Grocery stores are also now a treasure trove of quick eating but healthy prepared options that you can eat bento or lunchable style. Think hummus, cut veg, cut fruit, hard boiled eggs, etc and then the hot/ salad bars.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:26 pm

There is not much actually healthy about Panera. Look at the calories, sodium etc. I recently lost a bunch of weight and eating out is really hard when you are trying to lose weight especially fast food. If you can't bring stuff try to minimize the dairy and processed food, and try to maximize the veggies. Your best bet is a salad without cheese, and dressing on the side.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:40 pm

Stick something healthful in and you will tend to displace the unhealthful. An apple, some grapes, celery and carrot sticks - all take up room with fewer calories and are gosh darn good and good for you. All available in the grocery store. Might need to wash them though.

Not that I eat that way all the time, but I am undoubtedly healthier as a result of doing it some of the time.

Many grocery stores or Trader Joes also have salads and healthier items.

I find I usually want something warm and stick-to-the-ribs. That's where the fast food gets you. Not digging the grocery soup bar and who knows what fingers have been in there. Thinking in terms of wanting to be free and agile can help. An extra apple for 4:00pm can help.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:42 pm

What's your personal definition of "healthy"?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:55 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:42 pm
I travel a lot. When traveling, I consider Chick-fil-A and Subway health. I do not consider McDonalds, Jack-in-the-Box or Taco Bell healthy.
+1

My go-to fast food restaurants.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:06 pm

*Comparatively* healthier fast food selections:

In all cases skip the fries/side, unless you can get fruit (and want the fruit)

Skip sugar drinks

Most cases grilled chicken sandwiches are OK, but skip the mayo. However most fast food grilled chicken sandwiches are pretty bland

Jack in the box chicken fajita pita (kind of expensive for what you get, but about 300+ calories)

Whataburger chicken fajita taco - actually fairly tasty and filling, 350+ calories
Whataburger chicken melt - not horrible around 400 calories fairly tasty
Whataburger chicken sandwich - OK. Skip the mayo- mustard is ok.

Chicken express - catfish - surprisingly low calories.

Taco bell - chicken tacos- soft- can get without cheese if you really want to go light. Even 2 regular tacos aren't bad. About 170 calories a piece.

Chick fil a - many of the sandwiches are pretty good. The fried ones even aren't that bad calorie wise. But they have many high calorie things on menu. Also good healthy salads (careful on dressing)

McDonald's - slim pickins
- filet of fish - hold tartar - not bad, but is usually kind of nasty
- double filet o fish - hold tartar-more satisfying, usually fresher (made to order) and manageable calorie wise.
- egg white delight less than 300 calories
- egg mcmuffin. - 300 calories

Wendy's - grilled chicken sandwich, chili, some salads (again watch dressing)

Burger King - nothing.

Occasionally even a burger isn't bad, if you skip mayo. 500 calories give or take.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:10 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:59 pm
Subway is a good suggestion but you have to watch for the dressings, mayo, cheese and the like. Look at the nutritional info posted - there's a huge range for the calories for any given sandwich because of this.
You can get high calories there if not careful. All calories quoted are usually without toppings or even cheese.

Fudgie

Post by Fudgie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Wendys is cheap and easy:
These are good items for me. I want fat, protein and fiber to power my journey! YMMV
Southwest Avocado salad. Only 600 calories, but it has 41g of fat, 7g of fiber and an incredible 42 grams of protein. The fat and protein are very satiating.

Sour Cream & Chive Baled Potato. 320 calories, 2.5g of fat, 6g of fiber and 8g of protein

Chili 160 calories, 4g of fat, 7g of fiber and 4g of protein

There's significant sodium in the salad and chili, so if you're sensitive to that I'd stick with the potato.

Have fun!

Topic Author
Compound

Post by Compound » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:22 am

So many great ideas — thank you all for replying!

For some reason the idea of hitting the grocery store salad bar had completely skipped my mind when I put together my post. I think that’s an excellent idea and something I certainly will implement when on the road. Lots of other very helpful suggestions for restaurants as well, which will come in handy.

To those asking what healthy is to me: right now I’m focused on limiting total daily caloric intake. I’ve been using MyFitnessPal to count calories and find it very effective.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 am

Impromptu wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:41 pm
Even at fast food places simply requesting no mayonnaise goes a long way.
I'm fortunate that I find mayonnaise disgusting. Especially the drenching hose of mayonnaise that seems to be installed at every Jimmy John's sandwich shop.

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:59 am

My go tos:
Chick Fil A, southwestern salad
Panera Bread, vegan quinoa bowl or one of their soups + fruit side
Noodles and Co, salad
Wendys, salad, baked potato
Cracker Barrel, lunch special country chicken salad w/baked potato side, beans & greens, 4 choice sides (carefully chosen)
any Mexican, chicken taco salad light on cheese and sour cream and don't eat the taco bowl
any Asian, steamed rice lots of veggie choices
any TexMex, bowl or burrito - custom pick your ingredients
many grocery stores, salad/food bars

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:10 am

I eat very low carb, and once or twice a day. In a pinch like that, being out on the road, I would order several ground beef patties only (no bun, fixens, fries, drinks) from any of the major burger chains. All will sell them à la carte if you ask.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:37 am

We like Panera. While considered "fast casual" and not true fast food, with their app you can easily order ahead of time and have the food ready for you when you get there. Then just grab the bag and go. Great selection of salads and sandwiches.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:46 am

I also agree on packing healthy food for the trip.

Something I've also done with success, just because I don't like most fast food, is to use Yelp on my smartphone to identify local restaurants further off the highway when I want to stop for food. That way I can pick places that have healthy options. It really only takes a little longer, and I think the enjoyment of finding a pleasant restaurant in a new place far outweighs the extra time it takes to eat at a non "fast" restaurant. Another component to a healthy meal is to sit down with family or whoever you're traveling with and enjoy their company.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:10 am

Tamarind wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:46 am
Another component to a healthy meal is to sit down with family or whoever you're traveling with and enjoy their company.
Another component to traveling is to be stuck in a car with family or whoever you're gonna have a healthy meal with and enjoy their company.

!! Sorry, I could not resist. :)

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:47 am

Don't forget to watch the sodium content. Many restaurants are ridiculous when it comes to this, even for "healthy" options.

I usually order a plain burger with no salt.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:48 am

Zoe's Kitchen, Pita Pita, Rotis Mediterranean and similar, are flavorful and can be very healthy. Also look for Indian and Middle Eastern spots, especially for the vegetarian options, again full of flavor and healthy.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:13 am

I am a low carb, higher fat eater. My go-to food while traveling is hard-boiled eggs. I can find them in most convenience stores. If at a restaurant I will order a hamburger with no bun and a side salad with blue cheese dressing.

Also, when I am traveling, I do a lot of fasting.

Best wishes,

Lily

Audioarc

Post by Audioarc » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:18 am

Fast food restaurants don’t serve healthy food. They lie to you. Look up what McDonalds and IHOP actually serve you for “scrambled eggs.” for example. It’s tricky but there are small restaurants that actually fry eggs and have bacon and coffee and sometime fruit. BBQ places avoid sugary sauces, at places like Outback etc... order off the menu. Small steak, chicken or salmon w no “special seasoning (sugar), salad w dressing on side use little or none.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:45 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:15 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
CFM300 wrote:

+1 for WW.
We go on at least two longer 7+ day family road trips a year. My wife usually is successful in talking me into stopping at one restaurant, otherwise our stops are at grocery stores. We're never driving more than 10 hours at a time without being somewhere we can prepare a meal. I haven't had fast food in literally decades, but even what I think is decent casual restaurant food usually makes me feel so bad that it at least ruins that day.

playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:53 am

A good ol’ Fashioned PBJ sandwich!!
Cheap and a good mix of carbs, protein, and sugar. If you use quality peanut butter (should have one ingredient: peanuts!)

A lot of grocery stores now have an ahi poke station which I’m a big fan of.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:05 am

Trader Joe wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:42 pm
+1 on Chick-fil-A and Subway.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:05 am

What do you eat at home? I'd guess you can make modifications to menu food to conform to your normal diet just about anywhere. Don't eat what you don't want. If you order a chicken sandwich and don't want to eat the bread ask for no bread or if they won't do that throw it away. Don't order fries. Don't order sodas. Have the kids sit at a different table if the temptation of reaching across to grab their fries is too great. Don't feel you need to eat food you don't want to eat to avoid throwing it away.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:11 am

Notwithstanding my aforementioned exhortation for roadside pecan pie, etc., I've just packed some roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds from Trader Joe's for a quick trip to Denver today. They are surprisingly filling. TJ's has a lot of trail mix options.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:20 am

We stay at places that have a kitchen if we're on vacation so we can make half our meals or about.

Just go to a grocery store and pick up some fruit, bananas, maybe half a sandwich and call it good. If you do stop at fast food, just remember you DON'T HAVE TO EAT THE WHOLE PORTIONS. Generally I eat until I stop feeling as hungry, I'll happily through away the rest. Fast food is just loaded with garbage and I'll feel like garbage if I eat too much of it. I sincerely doubt there's any fast food place that's "healthy", it's more like some are just not as bad as others.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:28 am

Any kind of "restaurant" is a problem. Any honest attempt to run the numbers shows it. Even Subway. If you order a salad, which is basically ordering a sandwich without the bun, the Subway price structure give you a huge incentive to include meat, cheese, normal-calorie dressing. And they put the dressing on for you, and they know people like a lot. And the potato chips are right there, while the packaged apple slices are across the room in a refrigerator case.

Our partial "solution" is supermarkets and, oddly, gas stations with big convenience stores like QuikTrips. The key, I think, is to personally control the ingredients of your meal. Restaurants of any kind are pretty hopeless because they always are heavy on fats, oils, sugars, carbs, and things that cause you to overeat (salt), as well as temptation issues (fries with that? Oh, hell, I'm tired and I want a reward...)

We ignore price. We ignore the cost of "convenience" packaging and the possible evils of whatever is done to things to give them shelf life. Remember the comparison is with restaurants, not "normal" supermarket shopping. As others have mentioned, prepackaged peeled hard-boiled eggs are great. More and more supermarkets and even convenience stores have more and more plastic tubs with pineapple chunks or carrot and celery sticks or fruit cups. I think it was in Pennsylvania, the gas-station convenience stores all had pickled beet eggs and we got to really like them. Depending on your dieting theory... turkey breast is a Weight Watchers zero-point food, and you can buy prepackaged sliced turkey breast and put it into a pita or something with less bread than a sub roll. Even if you get something truly vile, like a ramen instant lunch in a cup, you can usually accompany it with a little pre-packaged thingy of carrots instead of french fries.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:33 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm
What about Chipotle: Bowl, brown rice, black beans, black beans again, sofritas, no cheese, no sour cream, but everything else including corn, lettuce, guac, salsa ? Split the bowl among 3 people, too, or 3 meals for one person.

My local Tex-Mex will substitute grilled vegetables for the rice & beans in any dish, but once again one should only eat one-third of what is served and eat the rest over the next 2 to 4 meals.
Rice, beans and meat are all healthy and 500-600 calories for a meal is reasonable. The problem is sodium. It is really easy to get up to 1500+gms if you do things like add cheese, gauc and salsa. Subway and pretty much every restaurant tends to have the same issues.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:39 am

Maybe you meant milligrams and not "gms" of sodium. 1500 gms of sodium is 3.3 pounds of sodium. :)

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:05 pm

I had an "avacado veggie bowl" at Del Taco yesterday. Very good and filling. Rice, beans, onions, tomatoes, avocado and lettuce. :P

Del Taco is in California, Oregon and Washington. Del Taco also operates in other western states (including Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah), and has locations sprinkled around areas east of the Mississippi.

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Basically, all restaurant food is intended to get you to come back, not serve your health. So though I try to eat carefully, Im not gonna deprive myself from a decent filling meal. Poison is poison so you can only moderate it.

Some of my go to's are Crackerbarrel, grocery store salad bars and cafeterias. Lean meat with a lot of veggies & cut the salt. A little butter is ok, but sometimes I will put mustard or lemon on a baked potato. (I find Chickfil-A a little too salty). Grilled pork chops, grilled fish, greek salads. I often use lemon & vinegar in lieu of salt. If the restaurant has plan unadulterated oatmeal, I love putting unsweetened apple sauce on it.

My ice chest includes boiled eggs, bananas, unsweetened apple sauce, peanut butter and naturally flavored, pure sparkling water. Im addicted to Osarka.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:54 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:39 am
Maybe you meant milligrams and not "gms" of sodium. 1500 gms of sodium is 3.3 pounds of sodium. :)

Have you seen a chipotle bowl? Pure salt:) And lets be clear it is a general problem where you have to work really hard to get way too much sodium in your meals.