New company spinoff - how to handle on LinkedIn?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JD2775

New company spinoff - how to handle on LinkedIn?

Post by JD2775 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:32 pm

For simplicity sake...

I worked at MegaCorp Company A for 15 years, 2 years ago it merged with Company B (another Megacorp), and changed the name of the company slightly but that was it. Fast forward to 2 months ago and a 3-company spinoff from Company A and Company B concluded, each new company it's own entity now and not related at all anymore to Company A or Company B. So I now work for Company C. My job is the same, nothing really changed aside from benefits

How would you update this on LinkedIn?

Couple options I can think of:

Option 1 - add a new entry starting from 2 months ago with new Company C name. Old Company A employment dates stops at 15 years.
Option 2 - edit current entry (which says 15 years at Company A) to say Company C instead
Option 3 - add new entry, but date it back to my current position (which didnt change with all this spinoff stuff) so I would have 10 years at Company A and 5 years at Company C.

This seems kind of ridiculous to even worry about this but I can't think of the best way to handle it.

renue74

Re: New company spinoff - how to handle on LinkedIn?

Post by renue74 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Option 2.

Keep it simple.

Nobody says on their Linkedin they were a pilot for Piedmont Airlines Then USAir Then American Airlines.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:06 pm

renue74 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm
Option 2.

Keep it simple.

Nobody says on their Linkedin they were a pilot for Piedmont Airlines Then USAir Then American Airlines.
This. You could put a line in the description for that position that says something like "Company A - 2002-2017, Company A slightly different 2017-2019, Company C - 2019-Present"

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:36 am

JD2775 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:32 pm
For simplicity sake...

I worked at MegaCorp Company A for 15 years, 2 years ago it merged with Company B (another Megacorp), and changed the name of the company slightly but that was it. Fast forward to 2 months ago and a 3-company spinoff from Company A and Company B concluded, each new company it's own entity now and not related at all anymore to Company A or Company B. So I now work for Company C. My job is the same, nothing really changed aside from benefits

How would you update this on LinkedIn?

Couple options I can think of:

Option 1 - add a new entry starting from 2 months ago with new Company C name. Old Company A employment dates stops at 15 years.
Option 2 - edit current entry (which says 15 years at Company A) to say Company C instead
Option 3 - add new entry, but date it back to my current position (which didnt change with all this spinoff stuff) so I would have 10 years at Company A and 5 years at Company C.

This seems kind of ridiculous to even worry about this but I can't think of the best way to handle it.
My industry goes through a lot of that and most of my (former) colleagues have chosen option 1. I've left companies after which time they got gobbled up. I've kept the old name but added "acquired by XXX"...

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:43 am

I suspect your company now treats you as a 15+ year employee so Option 2 makes sense. You can always add something about the corporate changes for full disclosure if you're worried, but it is not like you're trying to mislead anyone.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:49 am

I worked at a company A, which got acquired by company B, and within the same year B got acquired by C, at which point I got laid off. To make it worse, C does not have a good reputation for having well qualified, competent employees, and I never would have gone to work for it voluntarily.

I actually was told at an interview that my being employed by C was not viewed favorably. Now my LinkedIn profile has that time as company A. If someone asks, I will explain.