Do You Order "the Special" at Restaurants?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
capitalhockey

Do You Order "the Special" at Restaurants?

Post by capitalhockey » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:50 am

My wife and I enjoy eating out at various places....from casual to upscale dining. At most places, the waiter or waitress will always start off going over the restaurant's specials dishes. They will list the name of the dish, ingredients, cooking techniques and pricing. I would let them finish their speech and politely decline so I can order from the menu.

I always assumed that these "specials" were from food ingredients that the chef is trying to get rid of. For example, excess meat and veggies becomes tomorrow's soup of the day. Anthony Bourdain mentioned that weekend brunch was also a favorite method to dump the week's excess stuff. He also recommended not to eat fish on Mondays since they are usually leftover from the weekend. That's mainly why I am wry of specials at restaurants.

The only specials that I partake are: 1) Lunch specials (usually comes with extras like a soda and chips/side dish that you get with regular order) and 2) Happy hour specials (lower priced alcohol and appetizers). Even in those cases, my boglehead mind would compared the itemized food at special prices vs. regular prices on the menu to make sure it's a legitimate discount. This past Valentine's day, I took my wife out to nice local steakhouse that offered a special fixed price 3-course dinner. I scanned regular menu and add up prices for each item. To my surprise, the "Valentine special" total was higher than if I order the same dishes from regular menu. So we ended up paying less by itemizing same dishes but only because I checked prices!!

What are you views?

daheld

Re: Do You Order "the Special" at Restaurants?

Post by daheld » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 am

I am a huge fan of Tony Bourdain and I miss his presence immensely. However, his take on "the special" is somewhat old and outdated. It depends on where and what you're eating, but tons of restaurants that source food locally will run a special featuring ingredients that are only available for a short time or are in short supply.

Like most things in life, it's silly and just plain wrong to draw a hard and fast rule that the special is ALWAYS made with some old ingredient the chef is trying to use up before it's encompassed in mold. Sometimes that might be true, lots of other times it's not.

funktor

Post by funktor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:55 am

I usually don't order anything from the specials because the price is not made clear beforehand
It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time. The losses are what define a man's faith

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:03 am

I've eaten out a lot on business travel. Most chain restaurants that I eat at do not have a "special of the day". What I have found at the few that do is the "special" is actually a premium meal. It is more expensive than the average entrée on the menu. Since I don't care about cost while on business travel, I often order the special. When I have to pay, I never order the special.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:05 am

daheld wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:54 am
I am a huge fan of Tony Bourdain and I miss his presence immensely. However, his take on "the special" is somewhat old and outdated. It depends on where and what you're eating, but tons of restaurants that source food locally will run a special featuring ingredients that are only available for a short time or are in short supply.
Agree. Many nicer restaurants these days print daily menus so there really aren’t off-menu items. For other types of restaurants, they have more of a fixed menu with non-menu items presented by the server. I don’t think of these special items as cheaper, but rather something seasonal and not regularly offered. So, I often order these special items while available. But not because of the price.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:31 am

funktor wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:55 am
I usually don't order anything from the specials because the price is not made clear beforehand
+1 I agree. I've noticed the "special" tends to be slightly higher than the regular item I would purchase and the server never tells the price unless asked.

I also agree with the others about locally grown food being the special. We used to have an awesome local restaurant who would source local beef, vegetables and fruit from the area. Every August, you could get an awesome peach cobbler for dessert because of peach season. (Unfortunately, the business is no longer. I'm a big advocate to supporting local, "good" restaurants.) . But unfortunately, "good" is very subjective in the restaurant business.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:37 am

Nope. I tend to order the same exact thing at a restaurant I've been to before. So much so that when I walk into Subway at lunch, they don't even ask. They make it and even know how I pay (first the subway card to earn points, then a subway gift card to pay).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:38 am

I order what I like or not, special or not. Some places have a fish or ingredient which is not on the regular menu & I want to try it, so I order it. Other times, it is just a more fancy presentation of something on the regular menu, I go with the regular menu. when it is something I don't care for, I don't order it.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:43 am

Only for things in season. We live in a waterfront community. If the local restaurants are featuring crab, rockfish, perch or any other locally sourced fish it was probably still alive the day before so it will be fresh.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

rbaldini

Post by rbaldini » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:45 am

I tend to order specials at restaurants I've been to a few times. I usually know the menu by then, and want to try something new.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:48 am

funktor wrote:
My experience has been that the price of "specials" is always clearly disclosed.

Some places have a regular, repeating line of daily specials. So, these are much like the regular menu items.

While, I suppose, some "specials" may indeed be "from food ingredients that the chef is trying to get rid of." - it may just be that the restaurant wants to plan for some menu item to be promoted because they can, and choose to, be prepared to make a lot of that item. Even if the ingredients are items the chef wants to get rid of - I would not assume they are "bad quality". Maybe a larger amount of some high quality items on hand?

Yes - this is "interesting" -
This past Valentine's day, I took my wife out to nice local steakhouse that offered a special fixed price 3-course dinner. I scanned regular menu and add up prices for each item. To my surprise, the "Valentine special" total was higher than if I order the same dishes from regular menu. So we ended up paying less by itemizing same dishes but only because I checked prices!!
Maybe we could get some feedback on this from some restaurant "insiders". :confused

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:49 am

funktor wrote:
I think they count on you being too shy to ask about price. I always ask. Sometimes the waiter/waitress has to go check on the price.

The price is always high compared to other menu prices. I rarely get the special. Once in a while I am tempted by something I really like, but not often.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:57 am

I think it greatly depends on the type of restaurant. For the local diner, I never order the specials because they always sound like leftovers combined into new dishes. For the local upscale restaurant, their specials are more likely to be limited time food ingredients and I often order the special there.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 am

It depends. When I hear the special, I ask questions about items of interest regarding the price and how they differ in ingredients or amount of food. As I am a light eater, I prefer grilled foods and smaller quantities. Then I make the decision on a case by case basis. When I can't hear the special from squeaky voiced or mumbling servers, I just avoid the hassle and order from the menu. Yesterday the specials were printed. Nothing interested me, so I ordered from the regular lunch menu. I once got the last soft shell crab on the special menu. Big mistake. I was sick for 24 hours. Sometimes I wink at the server and ask if they'd recommend I order from the specials menu or the regular. I usually get a quiet but firm answer steering me in the right direction. Happens at the grocery store in the fish section. I make a point of using the name of the person that serves me and always quietly asking if it's a good day to buy fish. Once I got an emphatic "no" done wordlessly. Something must have happened.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:04 am

Funny, when I've eaten at restaurants with "specials" they've always mentioned the price.

I can and do order the special if it's something I like and might have ordered anyway, and if the price is attractive.

I am sure that there is no infallible or uniform rule about "specials."

I've never noticed any problem with them. My assumption is that a lot of people will be ordering the "special," and the restaurant cannot afford the hit to their reputation if the "special" is lousy. I assume that a good restaurant is good, period; in a good restaurant the "specials" will be good.

Does Bourdain say that his restaurants used "specials" as dumping grounds?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:26 am

bertilak wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:49 am
funktor wrote:
I think they count on you being too shy to ask about price. I always ask. Sometimes the waiter/waitress has to go check on the price.
Many, many years ago - I was a bit "shy" about such things. No more!
I am sure that there is no infallible or uniform rule about "specials."
Yes - my opinion as well.
Last edited by dm200 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:27 am

Quite often. It must depend quite a bit on the particular restaurants. The specials we hear are rarely re-worked menu items. They are usually something quite different from the menu selections. Often they are seafood items or cuts of beef that are not on the menu at all.

The server almost always tells us the price as they are describing the dish. If not, we simply ask. It is foolish to turn down something you might enjoy only because you were too bashful to ask the price.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:37 am

When we travel (about 400 miles away) to the rural community where I grew up, we often see "specials" on the board as we enter restaurants there. In this small rural community, almost all of the customers of these restaurants are regular locals. I assume that, if such specials were either a bad deal financially for the customer or were of lesser or questionable quality - the regular locals would know and not be good for the restaurants' business.

One such place often has a Roast Beef special - the really good kind like this https://img.aws.livestrongcdn.com/ls-12 ... 626809.jpg

I presume the restaurant cooks a lot of this roast beef and wants to sell of lot of it when they do so. I also assume that this is very popular among the local regular customers. As I recall - the price was very, very good as well.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:43 am

Yes, many restaurants offer some off-menu items. I've usually made up my mind from the menu before the waiter comes by to tell me about the specials. If the specials are more interesting than the daily special/off-menu item, then I change my mind. Simple as that. Don't see the need to generalize this across all restaurants/situations.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:43 am

I'm a pretty boring eater so specials are rarely my thing. I do know that servers at some restaurants will get some kind of bonus if they sell "x" specials in a night. I knew a lot of them but for some reason never bothered asking them or the manager why they would give out/get a bonus for selling the specials.

As others have mentioned I've heard various things regarding specials. In some cases they want to use up certain food before it was no good, other times the chef picked up some food and wanted to try something different. For example an Italian place would occasionally do a steak special or some seafood thing.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 am

Usually only order combo meals with and associated number and clearly labeled price. Always ask for extra straws too.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:07 am

Quite often, yes and have had some terrific meals I would otherwise would not have tried. And the price is usually mentioned during their spiel and if not, I ask just as I would when buying any item.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:37 am

My son has specials at his restaurant 3 nights a week. Tuesday is Mexican. If he has a steak and chicken fajita for the special, he will prepare lots of steak and chicken the day before with a marinade. It may be $1 less than if ordered off the menu. It is fresh and delicious. He has smoked ribs on Thursdays. He gets up around 2 am so he can get the slabs in the smoker. Some remain with dry rub only. Some will get a sauce put on them about 4 pm. The ribs are held at a low temp until ready to serve. They are fresh and delicious. In the summer he coal grills steak as they are ordered. They are fresh and delicious. He says specials save him time because he can prep ahead of time and these foods can be served quick.

I think this is true for most restaurants.

Best wishes,

Lily

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:42 am

I like to try specials and will ask the wait person if they have any. My experience is that specials are a way for a chef to offer new items or items in season. For a good chef, it is part of the creative process. I order them if they sound good and will ask the price if it’s not disclosed. I’ve had a good experience with specials overall at better restaurants.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:43 am

I've heard from friends in the business that the specials tend to be the best thing to order most nights. At farm-to-table restaurants these tend to be prepared with the freshest seasonal ingredients and chefs take a lot of pride in them. This may not be true at chain restaurants.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:19 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:42 am
I like to try specials and will ask the wait person if they have any. My experience is that specials are a way for a chef to offer new items or items in season. For a good chef, it is part of the creative process. I order them if they sound good and will ask the price if it’s not disclosed. I’ve had a good experience with specials overall at better restaurants.
Yes.. Absolutely know the price BEFORE placing that order..

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 pm

The specials at the dining locations I most commonly frequent are not reworked leftovers. They are unique choices that are otherwise not on the menu. The ability to publicize the specials some specials on social media may also have influenced this trend.

PVW

Post by PVW » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:48 am

Yes - this is "interesting" -
This past Valentine's day, I took my wife out to nice local steakhouse that offered a special fixed price 3-course dinner. I scanned regular menu and add up prices for each item. To my surprise, the "Valentine special" total was higher than if I order the same dishes from regular menu. So we ended up paying less by itemizing same dishes but only because I checked prices!!
Maybe we could get some feedback on this from some restaurant "insiders". :confused
McDonald's does the same thing with some of their extra value meals. I guess "extra value" means McDonald's is getting extra value from the customer.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:51 pm

I'm just fine with reworked 2-4 day old ingredients. A stew or chili made from Wednesday's braised short ribs? Chicken salad from the roast poulet two nights ago? Sure, I do that sort of thing at home all the time, and it's often better than having everything made fresh. Bring it on.
Semper Augustus

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:07 pm

I worked in a very high end restaurant in college that had 2-5 different specials a night. I can tell you that the chef put a lot of time and thought into them. The fish monger and various other suppliers would come by in the morning and he would pick out unique, seasonal, or rare items and build up the dishes around them. The food at the restaurant was awesome, but the specials almost always out shined them. Yes they cost more than regular menu items. Not only are the ingredients typically more expensive, but the highest paid person in the joint is spending a lot of hours of his work day sourcing and creating these items. He then had to train all of the other chefs how to properly prepare the dish. He then had to train the waitstaff how to present/describe/sell the dishes to the patrons, this also included cooking several of all of the dishes so the waiters could try them and accurately describe them.

This was anything but putting leftovers into a pot. The chef will only buy very limited quantities of these ingredients in order not to have leftovers and generally specials will "sell out" before closing time. I can tell you that if you enjoy food and eat out at higher end restaurants, but ignore the specials, you're really doing yourself a disservice.
Last edited by FlyAF on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:14 pm

At my favorite restaurant, the special is often some based on in season ingredient available for shorter periods of time. Sometimes it suits me and sometimes it doesn’t.

I love all the food at this restaurant - wish I could go more often.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:15 pm

capitalhockey wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:50 am
I always assumed that these "specials" were from food ingredients that the chef is trying to get rid of. For example, excess meat and veggies becomes tomorrow's soup of the day. Anthony Bourdain mentioned that weekend brunch was also a favorite method to dump the week's excess stuff. He also recommended not to eat fish on Mondays since they are usually leftover from the weekend. That's mainly why I am wry of specials at restaurants.
Perhaps at your restaurant this is true for their specials. It's not true for our favorite restaurant. They have their basic menu and augment it with specials when they can get something at the wholesale market out of the ordinary, or as a change of pace.

For example, they had some nice swordfish a few weeks back. It's not a seafood restaurant, so not normally on the menu. The "anthony bourdain" thing doesn't apply.

One of the restaurants nearby has a daily "special" consisting of one of their regular items at a discount price. I they happen to be featuring an item I like, I feel lucky. I've never found a problem.

IMHO, if you are very concerned about your restaurant serving yesterday's leftovers as specials, you are eating in the wrong restaurant.
Even in those cases, my boglehead mind would compared the itemized food at special prices vs. regular prices on the menu to make sure it's a legitimate discount.

Yes, you need to know your prices.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:17 pm

funktor wrote:
You could ask the price?

In the restaurants we frequent, the servers always mention the price of the specials.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:30 pm

I often order the specials because it is usually priced lower than if it was not a special. I like a good deal. If not, then I don't order it. I'm surprised there are people that would order a something without knowing the price.

Let's assume Anthony Bourdain is correct and the restaurant is offloading older ingredients. So? Old doesn't necessarily mean bad. If it's bad, then you can be sure I won't be dining at that restaurant again.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:46 pm

One of our favorite local restaurants has monthly specials. We check the website and it does draw us in to try them. Sometimes specials are superior to regular menu items and I know many patrons ask the owner to make them available. He’s very cagy about it.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:48 pm

"Special" is one of those special words that can mean anything one wants it to mean: made with leftovers, lower-than-usual price, jazzed-up menu item with a higher price, we're trying this out to see if customers like it, whatever.

At some Chinese restaurants, the "Chef's special" version of a dish often means "contains whatever we have a lot of." Order a bowl of Chef's Special Congee and you may get plenty of squid with a little mystery fish and a few specks of chicken. And maybe a few tiny clams, if you're lucky.

davegreen10

Post by davegreen10 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Industry person here. Here are the most common reasons for specials (unless its some chain restaurant where management mandates there is always a special for no apparent reason)

1) We are overstocked on some ingredient. It's still perfect if we sell more in the next couple of days but may spoil after that
2) We are trying out a new menu item. It may or may not make the regular menu depending on the response.
3) We have some seasonal items available so it won't be in print- less common nowadays with ease of printing
4) We always offer a special which is designed to be at the top end of our price range. It's a natural upsell for the customers it appeals to.
5) Our supplier is overstocked on an ingredient and giving us a fantastic deal to move it. I can offer you a great value while having a higher profit margin. Win/win/win for all parties

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:44 pm

GerryL wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:48 pm
"Special" is one of those special words that can mean anything one wants it to mean: made with leftovers, lower-than-usual price, jazzed-up menu item with a higher price, we're trying this out to see if customers like it, whatever.
At some Chinese restaurants, the "Chef's special" version of a dish often means "contains whatever we have a lot of." Order a bowl of Chef's Special Congee and you may get plenty of squid with a little mystery fish and a few specks of chicken. And maybe a few tiny clams, if you're lucky.
Yes!

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:29 pm

I paid my bills waiting tables at many different restaurants.
NONE of them used specials to get rid of leftover food.
Friday night special of prime rib meant they were taking the time to do it right just that night. OMG it was so good I would sometimes have two for my dinner.
Seafood or catch of the day? You ever smell bad seafood? No way to push that over on someone. It means the vendor had some good stuff that the chef wanted to feature.
Soup? Not leftovers, fresh made. In a couple days when you ask for it off special is when it is leftover.
One of the best meals we ever had was at an asian place we told the wait staff to have the chef make us something special, whatever he wanted to eat for dinner and we would pay their price. Chef came to the table to make sure he understood.
Running specials allows for efficiency of service and proper preparation.
If in doubt, ask the wait staff, they won't lie to you.
Pale Blue Dot

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:36 pm

Friday night special of prime rib meant they were taking the time to do it right just that night. OMG it was so good I would sometimes have two for my dinner.
Yes - a restaurant in my hometown (rural area) has the prime rib specials like this as well. Excellent price for a big cut.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:01 pm

capitalhockey wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:50 am
I am sometimes more concerned with the menu items a restaurant has an extensive and varied menu.

The problem is that the ingredients for some speciality dish may be sitting around for a long time before someone orders it.

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:31 pm

funktor wrote:
Just ask. They'll be happy to tell you the price.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:49 pm

In fine dining restaurants, I look for dishes that strike me as innovative or creative. Frequently, these are the specials — sometimes specials are indeed a little more special!

Andy.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:53 pm

If I like the special, and it is more appetizing to me that moment than the rest of the menu, I order it.

Dave

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:23 pm

I just wanted to clear this up. Places that list the specials on the menu or on an insert in the menu almost always list the price. I believe the specials a few posters were referring to where you aren't provided the price are at places where you learn about the special only via the wait staff telling you about it.

Anyway, yes, I do like to order specials if they sound good. Especially if it's a place I go all the time and some variety would be welcome.

strafe

Post by strafe » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:37 pm

at the restaurants we frequent, the off menu daily “specials” truly are special. These dishes are usually amazing and unique. The regular menu doesn’t change as much, keeping the same dishes on offer for several weeks or perhaps a month at a time.

But with most restaurants these days changing the menu every day, they tend not to offer “specials” since the entire menu turns over from week to week.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:16 pm

My club has a different special every day of the week. They serve dinner from 5-9 pm. It’s been my experience that the special may not be available after 7 pm because it’s been sold out. (Many members are old retired folks that show up between 5 and 6.) A favorite restaurant has an excellent chef who prepares interesting specials on the weekends. His specials often sell out by 8 pm because every table has been reserved during the dinner hours. I often order the special because it is usually delicious. The price is always posted or mentioned by the waiter.

DMW

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:47 pm

The smaller the menu the more likely I am to try the special, as the more likely it really is special.

The larger the menu the more likely it is that they're getting rid of excess. In fact, the larger the menu the more likely that your food is frozen and is just being reheated and not actually prepared. It's why I like to look at the menu before being seated at a new restaurant. Large menu = pick somewhere else.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:52 pm

Dave55 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:53 pm
If I like the special, and it is more appetizing to me that moment than the rest of the menu, I order it.

Dave
Same.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:31 pm

It just amazes me that anyone would order "the special" at a restaurant without knowing the price. :oops: