Breakfast Menu After Retirement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dug

Breakfast Menu After Retirement

Post by Dug » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:18 am

I am on the 1 year countdown to retirement and had a fun wondering. For the last 25 + years Mon-Fri before heading to work, I eat oatmeal with NF yogurt, chopped almonds and a banana. On weekends and vacations, I splurge and never eat oatmeal.
For those retired creatures of habit, did your breakfast eating habits change once you retired?

Housedoc

Re: Breakfast Menu After Retirement

Post by Housedoc » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:24 am

I go to the gym early then have 3 eggs around 930 in the morning.

RC1

Post by RC1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:26 am

While working I only had coffee on the weekends. Now I have 2 cups every morning.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:30 am

My splurge is having a nice breakfast, a omelet or skillet type at a local restaurant during the week, while watching all the working folks run the rat race! :)

prudent

Post by prudent » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:34 am

Topic is locked (not a finance question).

Update: See below --admin LadyGeek
Last edited by LadyGeek on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread unlocked.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:54 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (breakfast), and is unlocked to the continue the discussion as a consumer issue. See: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:06 pm

I make myself a latte at home. Maybe some fruit.

Once in a while I eat out. Scrambled eggs and hash browns are a favorite.

Jordan4FI

Post by Jordan4FI » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 pm

I would for sure be adding in alcohol or something special..

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:21 pm

Nothing about breakfast has changed for me. I even take the same breakfast on backpacking trips to prepare while out on the trail:

Oatmeal, ground flax, protein powder, walnuts, fruit (fresh or dried; blueberries or craisins) with Dr Pepper for the liquid --- all cooked in a big bowl in a special way as described years ago at bogleheads.org:
viewtopic.php?p=2242092#p2242092

The special way is guaranteed to give one awesome abs. I've graduated from crunches to Russian twists though. Progress!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

iceport

Post by iceport » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Dug wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:18 am
For those retired creatures of habit, did your breakfast eating habits change once you retired?
Only a little bit. For years it's been 2 oz. of a blend of whole grain organic cereals with as little added sugar as I can find (which is getting tougher to do all the time); 1 banana, 3-4 oz. of blueberries, sometimes also with raspberries and/or blackberries on the cereal; 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs, deviled with yogurt or skyr, fancy mustard and horseradish; 1 cup of coffee with half & half.

Since retirement, maybe once or twice a week I take the time to have the eggs in an omelet with caramelized onions, cheese slivers and fresh herbs if I've got 'em (basil or rosemary).
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:44 pm

1 cup of freshly brewed coffee from fresh ground Peaberry Kona Coffee Beans.
1 serving oatmeal.
Protein shake w/unsweetened Almond/Cashew milk w/supplements.
Total: 350 Calories.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Stick with the much more healthful Oatmeal every day.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:54 pm

My "breakfast" is actually lunch. (Intermittent fasting)

I eat a large steak, 3 eggs, avocado, spinach. Water.
Funding secured

victw

Post by victw » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:59 pm

I'm not retired yet. But I look forward to changing my breakfast. Right now it's oat burgers with cut veggies. Generally carrots. Sometimes jicama and cucumbers.

When retired I will go back to having my mid-morning salad. I'm only allowed to eat finger foods at my desk at work :(

Vic

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:03 pm

I've never been one to scarf down breakfast, even before heading out to work. I enjoy spending time over a nice continental breakfast with an apple (or berries in season). In retirement, that daily ritual can last for a couple of hours. The newspaper has been replaced by news on the iPad.

chw

Post by chw » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Steelcut Oatmeal, mixed with ground flaxseed & chia seeds, protein powder, walnuts, and fruit (dried or fresh blueberries usually), and raisins or dates (chopped). All topped with a splash of Almond milk. This menu is usually 4-5 days week, mixed in with homemade pancakes once a week for a splurge, and a dine-out breakfast of an omelet or scrambled eggs.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Used to pick up a Starbucks on way to work, now Starbucks+scone.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:00 pm

Most mornings are cereal or a granola bar plus a low fat yogurt.

Three mornings a week I go to exercise class and I stop at McDonald's drive thru on the way home to pick up an order of scrambled eggs (it's not on their menu, but I've gotten it from several different McDonald's. It costs $1.90 at mine.) and two fruit 'n yogurt parfaits. One of the yogurts is for breakfast, one is for later.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:08 pm

Breakfast M-F consists of oatmeal w/spoonful of peanut butter, raisins, and ground cinnamon. Occasionally when blueberries are on BOGO at Publix, blueberries instead of raisins.

Saturday is cup of yogurt, or a couple of slices of cranberry nut bread w/butter or cream cheese.

Sunday is bagel and cream cheese.

If daughters and their families are over on Saturday morning or Sunday morning, nice brunch with mimosas. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Every morning is a pot of coffee.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:17 pm

Breakfast hasn't changed since retirement: Oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts. Now I have the time to go to Costco for the blueberries! I used to add a splash of milk, but I've changed to either soy milk, almond milk or Oatly.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:25 pm

Weekdays: two soft-boiled eggs, 1/2 cup of oatmeal, no sugar, cinnamon, varying nuts usually walnuts and/or seeds and fruit usually blueberries (frozen in winter).

Weekends: 2-3 slices of bacon, substitute two fried eggs in the bacon grease (yum) and english muffins or bagels. Can't be healthy all the time!

Used to be more lazy when working. More breakfast sandwiches and bagels.

burt

Post by burt » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Before retirement my favorite breakfast was a platter of hashbrowns, generous sausage gravy, 3 eggs sunny side up, sausage links, and thick cut homemade Italian toast. Not everyday, just weekends. After retiring somehow...somehow...I became allergic to eggs! Damn!
Now breakfast is an open face sandwich with homemade bread (toasted), lunchmeat, cheese, and tomatoes.

LonePrairie

Post by LonePrairie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:23 pm

I still have coffee and oatmeal first thing.

After I walked to work every morning I'd get coffee and a cranberry muffin in the cafeteria. I miss those muffins now that I'm retired.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:28 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:54 pm
My "breakfast" is actually lunch. (Intermittent fasting)

I eat a large steak, 3 eggs, avocado, spinach. Water.
IF here, too, 18:6, after seeing the IF article in the Wall Street Journal last weekend.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:42 pm

I also IF 18:6. I break my fast around noon with a vegetable cheese omelet fried in butter or bacon fat. I like green olives with my omelet. Sometimes I break my fast with homemade bone broth with a little heavy whipping cream. I will add a nice salad with this.

Best wishes,

Lily

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:55 pm

The best thing about retirement is that I am not in a hurry to get to work; consequently, I can take the time to prepare whatever suits me on that day. My only limitation is what food is in the refrigerator or pantry.

DMW

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Been retired since Jan 1.

I eat nothing for breakfast now.

Stopped drinking coffee and tea too!

A light lunch, and then a splurge on dinner is a typical day now.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:38 pm

I've stayed Boglehead simple in retirement: oatmeal or oat bran, banana, whole wheat toast with low-fat spread, water. Sounds boring, but I look forward to it every day - so far.
"John Bogle has changed a basic industry in the optimal direction. Of very few can this be said." ~Paul A. Samuelson

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:14 am

Still working, but have cut back. Don't usually go in til 10.

Weekdays, almost always skip breakfast. Will make myself a double cappuccino at home, then another coffee at the office. Very occasionally, a protein shake.

Weekends, usually eggs and vegetables mid morning. Very occasionally, and only on a Sunday, buckwheat pancakes with nuts and blueberries.

GeMoney

Post by GeMoney » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:29 am

On most days, 2 jumbo eggs with vegetables and a little protein like ham + a banana. I'm reducing my intake of oatmeal. Although it has fiber, it has a fair amount of carbs and I'm hungry quicker than when I have the eggs.

3hrs

Post by 3hrs » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:22 am

Pre retirement breakfast was 3 cups of 1/2 caffeine coffee, early am workout, then at work oatmeal/1% milk/1/2 chopped apple/cinnamon/cardamom premade Sunday evening. Since retiring I've switched to two large eggs fried in butter after working out. Keeps me full till lunch, even if I am hiking all morning.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:33 am

Dug wrote:
No much. Most days I eat what I ate while working. Some days we walk to a local restaurant and have a larger breakfast.

If you eat what you like for breakfast while you are working, why would that change once retired?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:45 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:45 pm
Stick with the much more healthful Oatmeal every day.
+1
1 serving. Simple. Can be made tasty any number of ways.

A lot more healthy than a Hawaiian Island breakfast of Spam, Portuguese Sausage, Fried Rice, and a side of waffles with guava syrup. :oops:

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:53 am

I have raisin bran with nuts and fruit and usually a small croissant plus 2 cups of homemade Starbucks coffee.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm not retired, but my breakfast has rather recently changed from a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats With Almonds and whole milk to a cup of Columbia light roast caramel coffee brewed in a French press with two tablespoons of Almond Roca creamer. Mmmm.... :mrgreen:

This has reduced my morning caloric intake from about 500 calories to about 70, and it gets me through to lunch most days unless I'm physically exerting myself significantly.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:15 am

Breakfast is a few cups of Kona coffee. Lots of our wonderful well water (fasting) until the afternoon (usually 3-6PM). Then low carb meals for a few hours.

I do miss oatmeal with 6 fried eggs, and will occasionally splurge with that for breakfast.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

ER2023

Post by ER2023 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:43 am

I ate crappy my entire life. It wasn't until my mid-forties that I started to eat healthy :oops:

I have experimented with different things, but found that steel cut oats with blueberries, strawberries, ground flaxseed, and ceylon cinnamon works the best. I often add two poached eggs as well. It's a big breakfast but I feel the best throughout the day when I eat this every morning.

So no, I will not be changing my breakfast menu after retirement in a couple years. I will however occasionally splurge with hash browns, pancakes, etc.!

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:04 am

Lots of oatmeal mentions in this thread. Add me to the list.

After morning workout, fix up oatmeal with protein powder, cinnamon, Splenda, and nuts. And two handfuls of raisins. Have done the same breakfast for about 10 years, both before and in retirement.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 am

I have a half-decaf coffee, one banana and a raisin-cinnamon muffin, am now fully retired for 10 years, weight is 171 lbs.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 am

Not retired but it wouldn't make a difference. Coffee black with:
- Ozery "Morning Round" toasted with a little almond butter (not much needed since it melts on the toasted round)
- Overnight oats with cocoa powder, chia seeds, flax seeds, and unsweetened almond coconut milk (eaten while chilled not heated). Key on this one is watching the portion size on the oats to keep it around 250 calories. Make sure the seeds don't spill, what a mess!

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:11 am

Dug wrote:
did your breakfast eating habits change once you retired?
No, just one cup of black coffee, both before and after retirement. When I worked, I was forced to eat earlier than I wanted at lunchtime, as my workmates were always anxious to get to lunch early. Now in retirement, I normally don't eat calories until usually at least 4 hours after I wake (not counting the 10 calories or so in a black cup of coffee).

GiannaLuna

Post by GiannaLuna » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:30 am

Wow, Bogleheads are living on the breakfast edge LOL

Me? A coffee and some mineral water

Sometimes brunch with the usual suspects

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:32 am

Do people generally do a little exercise at gym or walking before breakfast or after?
For the IF'ers do you exercise prior to breaking the fast later in the day, or do you wait until after you've eaten something?
just wondering, because I usually do not exercise until after I've had something to eat (usually oatmeal and coffee).
But I've been wondering about the IF routine too. Does skipping dinner (just having water) count?
BT

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:16 am

Two eggs, two strips of bacon, half an avocado, coffee. I prepare it at home. On the days I walk or go to the gym, I eat breakfast first.

Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:38 am

Whatever it is, will be covered in gravy.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:49 am

I don't eat breakfast regularly since I am mostly convinced by the arguments about intermittent fasting and decreasing insulin.

When I have breakfast it is usually a typical Vietnamese breakfast like noodle soup, phở or bún bò Huế, or maybe rice with a pork chop (cơm tấm).

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:56 am

bowtie wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:32 am
Do people generally do a little exercise at gym or walking before breakfast or after?
For the IF'ers do you exercise prior to breaking the fast later in the day, or do you wait until after you've eaten something?
just wondering, because I usually do not exercise until after I've had something to eat (usually oatmeal and coffee).
But I've been wondering about the IF routine too. Does skipping dinner (just having water) count?
BT
I exercise before breaking the fast. It can take a few times to become adjusted to it; I did light cardio for a while until my body adapted.

Skipping dinner counts. The idea is not to restrict calories (“Delay, Don’t Deny”), but to [... I decided not to stray into what mods might consider medical advice].
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

kramer

Post by kramer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:20 am

My exercise is on the more intense side and I can't exercise properly after eating anyway... my minimum fast (assuming I ate a regular meal) before gym would be 2 hours, 3 hours before running ... and better if even longer.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:26 pm

victw wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:59 pm
I'm not retired yet. But I look forward to changing my breakfast. Right now it's oat burgers with cut veggies. Generally carrots. Sometimes jicama and cucumbers.

When retired I will go back to having my mid-morning salad. I'm only allowed to eat finger foods at my desk at work :(
Vic
If one is determined, one could turn salad into finger food. Whole cherry tomatoes. Whole baby carrots. Cucumber spears. Half a lettuce leave, cut alone the rib. Etc. Dressing in a separate bowl that you dip things into. Essentially, veggies and dip.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 pm

Brianmcg321 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:38 am
Whatever it is, will be covered in gravy.
Biscuits smothered in homemade sawmill gravy...oh my that's good stuff!!
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings