SIM cards for Iceland, Germany (Bavaria), Austria and switxelsnd

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

SIM cards for Iceland, Germany (Bavaria), Austria and switxelsnd

Post by retire14 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:05 am

Need local SIM card for 5 days in Iceland and 2 weeks for Germany (around Munich) Austria and Switzeland. Please recommend. Is there one that will work for 2 countries above? I am assuming that I will need a separate one for Iceland. Thanks.

bob60014

Re: SIM cards for Iceland, Germany (Bavaria), Austria and switxelsnd

Post by bob60014 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:12 am

What carrier do you have? I have Tmobile and the service works flawlessly throughout Europe. Ymmv!

But if you need a sim, this article gives some good info.
https://www.simoptions.com/best-prepaid ... rd-europe/

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:21 am

bob60014 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:12 am
What carrier do you have? I have Tmobile and the service works flawlessly throughout Europe. Ymmv!

Well, it works for texting/calling, but the data is throttled to 2G speed, so ok for Google Maps and checkign email, but not more than that. Sprint's global roaming is the same. Of course with any carrier you can get faster data by buying a pass.

Besides that your options are 1) a service like Truphone or GigSky, which lets you use a global SIM (you can even use the eSIM if you have iPhone XS/XS MAX); or 2) check locally once you arrive, which is probably the cheapest option. My understanding (double-check) is that you'll be able to roam for free in the European Economic Area, which includes Germany, Austria, and Iceland but not Switzerland.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:25 am

The 3 UK sim sold on Amazon for about $20 has 12GB of data and 3000 texts/calls. Claims to work in all of those places including Switzerland.

I used it on my last trip to Europe and it worked great.

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:10 pm

A Google Fi SIM will work in all those countries. It's a great travel amenity.

Otherwise a SIM purchased locally in Europe should roam to anywhere in the Economic Area (all the countries listed except Switzerland).

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:08 pm

02nz wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:21 am
bob60014 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:12 am

Well, it works for texting/calling, but the data is throttled to 2G speed, so ok for Google Maps and checkign email, but not more than that. Sprint's global roaming is the same. Of course with any carrier you can get faster data by buying a pass.

Besides that your options are 1) a service like Truphone or GigSky, which lets you use a global SIM (you can even use the eSIM if you have iPhone XS/XS MAX); or 2) check locally once you arrive, which is probably the cheapest option. My understanding (double-check) is that you'll be able to roam for free in the European Economic Area, which includes Germany, Austria, and Iceland but not Switzerland.
Unless you're running your business while on vacation, most tourists dont need breakneck speeds, no matter what they try to sell you.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:13 pm

Google Fi or Tmobile are great if you are already a subscriber. If not, it's probably more convenient and maybe cheaper to get a local SIM for the trip.

bmr12

Post by bmr12 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:46 pm

I found this site helpful for Europe: https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-sim-card-germany/

I used O2 in Germany this spring and it was great; we roamed elsewhere in the EU without issue.