Renting a car in Boston (Logan Airport)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Renting a car in Boston (Logan Airport)

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 am

Logan is one of my least favorite places to rent a car because there always seems to be extra taxes, charges, fees.

What should I look out for?

Should I get a toll transponder? I'll be driving to RI and then to NH

I know it's typically best to return the gas tank full, but anyone know what the extra charges are for returning it say 3/4 full? I wouldn't mind paying an extra $10 or so for that.

Buysider

Re: Renting a car in Boston (Logan Airport)

Post by Buysider » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:04 am

In Mass, every toll is either ezPass or pay-by-plate, so doesn't really matter.

Big difference in prices between Avis/Hertz and the other brands. I actually like renting at Logan (except the price), it has its own rental center on the bus line and has easy access to the tunnels.

You'll pay about $10/gallon to fill up if you return less than full.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:09 am

While it's possible to get from Logan to RI, to NH and back to Logan without going through any tolls, it's probably not possible if you're not a local, familiar with all the cut thoughs and work arounds. So yes, get a transponder. If you have your own EZ Pass, bring it and you'll be fine. Without one, the system takes a picture of the plate and some months later, sends a bill. I'm sure your rental company will take each of these 30 cent tolls, add a $10 "convenience fee" and send you the bill. I expect you're going to at a minimum go through a tunnel leaving and returning to the airport, so there's your toll use right there. NH still has cash lanes. Mass does not. RI has no tolls as they've determined they'd be too dangerous as everyone is driving 90 and swerving 6 lanes to hit their exit. (RI drivers make Boston and NYC drivers look like amateurs with their stunt car antics).

Look on your rental agreement for gas cost. There is a gas station right next to the airport. Typically, expect to pay in the neighborhood of $10 a gallon if you don't bring it back full. So a quarter of a 20 gallon tank....$50.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:17 am

Last time I rented a vehicle in Boston, I got the toll tag. It was for a business trip so I didn't have to pay for it. I decided to see if I could do all my travels in CT, NH, RI, & MA without going through tolls. You can set Google maps navigate and avoid all tolls. And yes, I was able to do the entire trip without going through tolls and the travel time wasn't significantly longer either. The only issue was getting to and from Logan requiring going through some sketchy looking industrial zones. Wouldn't want to have a flat tire in that area and the streets were pot hole infested.

There is a third option where you can prepay a tank of gas at a flat rate of some $5 a gallon. Just make sure you come back as empty as possible.

nimo956

Post by nimo956 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 am

Just as an FYI, you can often find substantial savings by renting a car near, but not at, the airport. Find an Avis or Hertz nearby and take an Uber to/from Logan.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:37 am

nimo956 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 am
Just as an FYI, you can often find substantial savings by renting a car near, but not at, the airport. Find an Avis or Hertz nearby and take an Uber to/from Logan.
Maybe even cheaper to use the subway?

Going anywhere- I first check the airport prices to find if they are acceptable. If they are I look no further.

About gas- returning empty is gambling. Returning partly full is punitive. Returning full is only moderately inconvenient, especially with a smartphone that will direct you to a gas station.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks all. So will get the transponder and return a full tank.

frugalecon

Post by frugalecon » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:29 am

nimo956 wrote:
I have realized substantial savings from picking up off airport, even if I return at the airport.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:36 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:37 am
nimo956 wrote:
The “Silver Line” bus is free to downtown, so if it is significantly cheaper to rent downtown, you could take that (assuming you don’t have a crazy amount of luggage).

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 pm

bluebolt wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:36 am
adamthesmythe wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:37 am
nimo956 wrote:
The “Silver Line” bus is free to downtown, so if it is significantly cheaper to rent downtown, you could take that (assuming you don’t have a crazy amount of luggage).
I got a good deal using AutoSlash.com and I'll have a couple young kids, luggage and early return flight, so will stick to renting at the airport. But good to know for the future.