Amazon delivery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Colorado13

Amazon delivery

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:22 pm

I just read the post about Amazon prices and have a related question/observation. Can anyone explain how I ordered two items from Amazon on Sunday and received them on Monday? Yes, the items arrived one day after I placed the order. I am not a Prime member; I dropped my Prime membership a couple of years ago because all my orders were delivered in 4-6 days, so I decided to stop paying for faster shipping (because it wasn't fast.)

But, in July I ordered vitamins from Amazon and they arrived 9-10 days after I placed the order. The delivery window for free shipping is apparently from 1-10 days? Have others experienced this?

stoptothink

Re: Amazon delivery

Post by stoptothink » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:22 pm
I just read the post about Amazon prices and have a related question/observation. Can anyone explain how I ordered two items from Amazon on Sunday and received them on Monday? Yes, the items arrived one day after I placed the order. I am not a Prime member; I dropped my Prime membership a couple of years ago because all my orders were delivered in 4-6 days, so I decided to stop paying for faster shipping (because it wasn't fast.)

But, in July I ordered vitamins from Amazon and they arrived 9-10 days after I placed the order. The delivery window for free shipping is apparently from 1-10 days? Have others experienced this?
Yes, and it made no difference whether or not we were Prime. We have received products in <24hrs and others in 10+ days, all with the same shipping. I stopped calling customer service about the variance in shipping a long time ago.

Post by 123 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:03 pm

Had the same experience as well. Have had delivery a couple of times on some very common orders in less than 12 hours (ordered in late evening and they arrived the next morning), these were Prime 2 day delivery items, we didn't pay extra for next day delivery. Our regular deliveries are pretty consistent with the two day guarantee period. Some have been longer, including 7 to 10 days.

We've noticed lately it's harder to get an order directed to a nearby Amazon locker, often we get a message it's full so we cancel and order later.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 pm

Amazon is not some magical company that can ship everything in its store and complete shipping and handling in a consistent manner. You are talking about a large cache of merchants who may or may not have their items in Amazon's warehouse located anywhere from your county to across the continental US. It doesn't surprise me one bit.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 am

Received 1-day: they likely have the item in the distribution center close to you - they simply throw it in a local truck and drive it over.
Multiple Days: The item is far far away.

Any more questions? :)

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:31 pm

Almost everything I order from Amazon gets delivered in 1 day. Then again, I live in one of the largest metro areas in the country. I know someone in the middle of nowhere on the Eastern Shore of MD who has to wait 3-4 days for most deliveries.

Topic Author
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:01 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 am
Received 1-day: they likely have the item in the distribution center close to you - they simply throw it in a local truck and drive it over.

I get that, but don't understand the logic between 1-10 day delivery. It just seems strange that a Disney toy is delivered in one day and vitamins in 9-10 days. But maybe I misunderstand the great availability of Disney toys. :-) In this case, I'm guessing it was sitting/waiting in a warehouse a few miles away, unlike the vitamins. Everyone online Wmt order that I place is delivered in 3-4 days, not a range of 1 -10.

Ricchan

Post by Ricchan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:01 pm

I get that, but don't understand the logic between 1-10 day delivery. It just seems strange that a Disney toy is delivered in one day and vitamins in 9-10 days. But maybe I misunderstand the great availability of Disney toys. :-) In this case, I'm guessing it was sitting/waiting in a warehouse a few miles away, unlike the vitamins. Everyone online Wmt order that I place is delivered in 3-4 days, not a range of 1 -10.
This is just speculation on my part, but I imagine the reason for the wide variance of up to 10 day delivery from a distant warehouse is due to Amazon trying to maximize the amount of items per trip between that warehouse and your closest distribution center. If there aren't enough people in your area ordering things from that specific warehouse to fill a truck, they probably wait a few days to let other potential orders from your area come in. A maximum buffer time of 5 days combined with a typical 5 day cross country ground delivery time would explain the occasional 10 day deliveries. This is all just a guess, though.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:05 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

There are lots of 3rd party vendors on Amazon's website and in my experience, ordering from them usually ensures longer wait times than products that you order from an Amazon warehouse near you. It has nothing to do with the product itself and everything to do with whom you are actually buying the product from.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Amazon no longer promises 2-day deliver for all Prime items. Shipping times vary even for Prime items ordered by Prime customers. Customers are also now split between those who live close to a distribution center, who get fast delivery, and those who aren't, who get slower delivery. They are trying to reduce shipping costs.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Many people are unaware that Amazon is not the Seller, or Shipper, for many items.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:55 pm

MarkerFM wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:47 pm
Amazon no longer promises 2-day deliver for all Prime items. Shipping times vary even for Prime items ordered by Prime customers. Customers are also now split between those who live close to a distribution center, who get fast delivery, and those who aren't, who get slower delivery. They are trying to reduce shipping costs.
Yeah, I placed an order Monday night and Amazon said I'd be getting it today. Then I got an email from them this morning saying that the shipment won't be here till tomorrow or the day after. This kind of thing has been happening more frequently of late. But I live pretty far from Amazon distribution centers.
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Colorado13 wrote:

It would be unusual if you lived off the beaten track. But, most major cities have Amazon fulfillment warehouses nearby. If you order a common item, Amazon will get it out to you sooner rather than later.

I am sure they have all sorts of logistics and load balancing algorithms that measure employee staffing, order volume, expected deliveries, Prime or not, etc. and then make prioritizations as to why hits the fulfillment floor at what time.

GJ48

Post by GJ48 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
…..Have others experienced this?
Based on what I see here in NYC delivery times are in a transition phase and depend on the size and willingness of independent third party contractors to deliver the goods. Personally, I refuse to pay extra for a "Prime" membership as I'm currently getting overnight service from Walmart on all the stuff we normally buy online.

As for Amazon and their "warehouses"...every day I take the dog for his early morning walk around 5:00 a.m. there will be a group of ~10 young people working to unload a box truck at 2nd Ave. and 87th St. and put the Amazon packages onto sleds for delivery throughout the neighborhood.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:04 pm

Colorado13 wrote:

When you called Amazon.com with your question, what was their answer? I am very interested.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:09 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:

I used to think the same until recently. Last week I ordered an item on Sunday, it arrived the next Monday. When I looked at the tracking info, it said it came from Stockton, CA. It went from California to Baltimore on the Sunday I ordered it. On Monday, liking what I got, I ordered another one. This one arrived on Wednesday, and tracking said it came from Arizona! This is for an item that sells for $15! So, I've given up trying to predict which items will come one day and which two days.

All I can say is that Amazon Logistics must have an incredible computer system, not to mention airplanes, etc.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:19 pm

It's seems likely that while all Amazon distribution centers might have the most popular items, less popular items are scattered around different distribution centers nationally.

And how quickly your order ships also likely depends on their order volume.

So you might buy a Happy Fun Ball (TM) and receive it next day, while somebody on the other side of the country might wait a week for the same Happy Fun Ball (TM). Likewise for peak shopping days versus low volume days.

Also, I've ordered items listed as in-stock, and the tracking information shows the shipper as waiting for the item for 9 days, then they receive and deliver the last day of the expected 7-10 day delivery estimate. I'm not sure, but it seems like it could be a strategy to make Prime more appealing.

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:48 am

Colorado13 wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:

Computer algorithms are not yet complex enough, or it takes to many resources to compute, to give accurate and up to the minute delivery windows. Hence, e retailers will give you a range and try to over deliver rather than under promise.

telemark

Post by telemark » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:30 pm

As a data point, I ordered a breathing mask, listed as in stock, on Tuesday, October 22nd, and selected free shipping. Amazon shipped it at 8:30 PM October 29th, a week later. It was delivered on the following Friday, ten days later. Can't say Amazon doesn't keep its promises.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:23 pm

MarkerFM wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:47 pm
Amazon no longer promises 2-day deliver for all Prime items.
And if I recall the "small print", when they do guarantee 2 day free delivery it is now 2 days following shipping.
There is no guarantee as to when it will be shipped.
In other words, it can conceivably arrive any time...no real guarantee.
I imagine they have taken so much flak regarding the working conditions in their warehouses as workers are pressured to meet unrealistic deadlines that they have had to relax their "guarantees". But this is just speculation.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Amazon can only do this because of its huge scale of distribution, and logistical tendrils that touch and caress all the most private areas of the country. Basically, no matter where you live in the Continental US, there is already an Amazon delivery going there with a high frequency. So, there are many chances for the package to hop onto the truck that's already moving. This is the product of super efficiency and logistical computation.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:25 pm

I live in a metropolitan area, and my Amazon shipments usually arrive on time. Exceptions are rare. However, as a recent Prime Member, I found another way to save. If I order something non-urgent, I click on a delayed delivery in exchange for $1 credit towards audio and digital items.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:05 pm

I've been receiving my shipments within 1 - 2 days via my Prime membership. Using the slow shipping credit when I'm in no hurry also gets me a free book or video series from time to time. Another interesting service they are offering to members is zero interest installment payments on larger purchases.

Overall I'm very satisfied with their service and delivery.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:04 am

We have never had Prime, but usually get our deliveries within a day or two. Once we got it the same day. I think it was an employee on the way home. I beginning to feel almost surrounded by Amazon facilities.

We're 11 miles north of the fulfillment center that handles the small items and 30 miles north of the center that handles the larger stuff. Fwiw, we're 14 miles south of the Amazon Prime Now, whatever that is.

And 30 miles south of the Amazon Sortation Center. Sortation? Is that a word?

And coming soon just across the river, "Amazon is expanding its presence in Central Virginia with a new specialty fulfillment and last-mile delivery center on the Virginia Interstate 95 Logistics Center site in Richmond."

We're on the east/north bank of the James River about 10 miles or so south of the airport. The new center will be across the river a bit upstream closer to Richmond. We're on the still-country side. It will be the industrialized I-95 side.

mrtiger

Post by mrtiger » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:16 am

It's very simple (I'm familiar with Amazon operations so this is insider info :wink: )
1. Amazon is expanding their product line that is being kept in their warehouse so they can deliver faster "popular" product no matter i you are prime or not.
2. Amazon is building warehouses right and left for faster delivery. Overnight delivery is really not that uncommon. Amazon offers 2 hour delivery to prime members. Usually this applies to big cities, Chicago, NY, LA etc.
3. If your neighbor is a prime member and order something their algorithm will notice delivery next door and expedite your shipping no mater if you are prime or not (big data rules).
4. Finally, some unusual products are not being kept in their warehouse therefore they have to go directly to vendor or manufacturer or use 3rd party seller what slows down the delivery to days or weeks.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:30 am

I have Prime but know people that live in my area that don't. A lot of stuff ships from a local warehouse so even if it is given to a 3rd party, it often arrives in a few days for them. People that don't have Prime have told me though sometimes it doesn't ship for days. I think that it depends on how busy they are. They ship Prime stuff first and everything else when they have time.

Even though I don't typically need stuff same day or in 2 days once you get used to it you want everything fast. When I order from somewhere else and it takes 4 days I am wondering why it is so slow. :oops:

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:26 am

mrtiger wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:16 am
3. If your neighbor is a prime member and order something their algorithm will notice delivery next door and expedite your shipping no mater if you are prime or not (big data rules).
I live in an apartment building and many of my neighbors are Prime members. This explains why sometimes I receive shipments faster than promised. Thank you for the insights.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am

3 Words
Obsessive Customer Focus
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Toons wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am
3 Words
Obsessive Customer Focus
More words: it’s amazing what you can accomplish with the money you save by not paying taxes.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:27 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:26 am
mrtiger wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:16 am
I live in an apartment building and many of my neighbors are Prime members. This explains why sometimes I receive shipments faster than promised. Thank you for the insights.

Victoria
If you have friends or relatives who are interested you can split a Prime membership and it becomes, imho, worth it...between saving on shipping costs, Amazon Prime Video, etc.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 am

" it’s amazing what you can accomplish with the money you save by not paying taxes."

It's amazing what you can accomplish by steadily investing profits back into your company.

I'm like Amazon, I only pay what I am required to by the federal tax regulations. I'm not going to skip taking a deduction and neither is Amazon. Do you have any idea how much Amazon is paying to build all of these warehouses/fulfillment centers? And office buildings. A great many expenses are deductible.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Toons wrote:
3 Words
Obsessive Customer Focus
DW sent me to a local retail mall to p/u an item. Had not been to that mall in many months. I was absolutely SHOCKED when I walked in there...….it was barren. It was kinda creepy walking down the once vibrant halls to closed gates covering the doorway of former retails. What once was a thriving mall just a few years ago is DOA.

I ask how can this happen? Toons nailed it...….Obsessive Customer Focus. My family and myself use AMAZON almost daily.....what else can I say...…. :sharebeer

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:01 pm

fishandgolf wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:27 pm
Toons wrote:
3 Words
Obsessive Customer Focus
DW sent me to a local retail mall to p/u an item. Had not been to that mall in many months. I was absolutely SHOCKED when I walked in there...….it was barren. It was kinda creepy walking down the once vibrant halls to closed gates covering the doorway of former retails. What once was a thriving mall just a few years ago is DOA.

I ask how can this happen? Toons nailed it...….Obsessive Customer Focus. My family and myself use AMAZON almost daily.....what else can I say...…. :sharebeer
:thumbsup :D :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee