Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently

Post by catdude » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi Bogleheads -

The other day I was at Costco and checked the price on San Francisco Bay coffee k-cups. They had the SFB French Roast variety for $29.99 (100-count). Later that day I checked the price on Amazon. It was $44.28. Yikes! Amazon is 48% higher than Costco on this item! :shock: I realize it's just one data point, but I find this amazing. Is it just grocery items where Amazon is way over-priced? Or does it extend to other categories?

I invite y'all to contribute other examples of price differences to this thread....
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

new2bogle

Re: Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently

Post by new2bogle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Amazon is a hit or a miss on price.

What it does have: convenience for hard to find items.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:39 pm

Have you heard of retail arbitrage? It goes on with Amazon just like it does on eBay. The seller goes to Wal Mart/Costco/Target/Ace Hardware and buys a "thing". Usually they buy a hundred "things" that are cheaper than on Amazon/eBay. Typically they put the item on eBay/Amazon before they've even bought any. Then when they have a few sales, they load the "things" into a cart and buy them.

If a bunch of yahoos can do this, you know that there's always stuff cheaper at B&M stores. Not everything is, but always something is.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Amazon hasn't been the low price spread in quite a while. If price is your goal, you really have to pay attention.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:41 pm

9" x 75' roll Fortiflash buildlng seam waterproofing tape.

Amazon.com: $63.57 plus $5.25 shipping per roll.

Home Depot, locally on the shelf: $34.47 plus tax.

Compare prices
Shop carefully

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:43 pm

catdude wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:34 pm
Yikes! Amazon is 48% higher than Costco on this item! :shock: I realize it's just one data point, but I find this amazing. Is it just grocery items where Amazon is way over-priced? Or does it extend to other categories?
It's no surprise that some items can sometimes be found cheaper in places other than Amazon.

With any purchase, you have to know your prices - Amazon, Walmart, Target, Costco, etc, etc. I can usually walk into my local grocery store and find one item on sale that is cheaper than pretty much anywhere else.

You should not assume that Amazon is "way over-priced" in any category, any more than you should have assumed that Amazon is always cheaper.
Don't be a lemming.

tic

Post by tic » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Amazon is rarely the cheapest. This has been studied and quantified.

The real kicker to me has been that recently I have twice found Amazon Basics brand items (new) cheaper on Ebay than they were on Amazon.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Unless I need something very rapidly, these online sites are checked: Amazon, Walmart, Target, Costco.

If I really, really need it quick, and it isn't way out of line, it will be Amazon. They still are beating the other three players, though the other three players are certainly closing the shipping time gap.

There are a couple of shopping APPs that do comparisons with little effort, but you might have to use a new online merchant, fear of the unknown creeps in.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

jyoung

Post by jyoung » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:53 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:41 pm
Amazon hasn't been the low price spread in quite a while. If price is your goal, you really have to pay attention.
I agree with this. The Amazon interface is very simple to search, compare, and read reviews on just about any item imaginable; however, the item you ultimately want to purchase can usually be found elsewhere at a lower price. At least that has been the case for me. Ironically, I now use Amazon primarily for research and buy elsewhere just like I used to use Best Buy and then buy at Amazon... circle of life and all. :)

rj342

Post by rj342 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:56 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:52 pm
Unless I need something very rapidly, these online sites are checked: Amazon, Walmart, Target, Costco.

If I really, really need it quick, and it isn't way out of line, it will be Amazon. They still are beating the other three players, though the other three players are certainly closing the shipping time gap.

There are a couple of shopping APPs that do comparisons with little effort, but you might have to use a new online merchant, fear of the unknown creeps in.

Broken Man 1999
I do plenty of shopping at the local WalMart, but can't bring myself to use their online ordering much. Amazon's site is still much easier IMO.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 pm

As others have pointed out, old news. Amazon used to do price matches, no more. They used to do price adjustments when their own prices dropped, no more. At the same time other retailers have gotten more aggressive about competing with Amazon.

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:04 pm

Their system can change prices 24/7 based on who's shopping, how they shop, what other sellers are charging and supply/demand (aka "surge pricing" and "dynamic pricing"... airlines do the same thing). The camelcamelcamel site is handy for monitoring Amazon pricing.

For example, if you browse a number of similar products on a shopping site, the next similar product you look at may be offered to you at a lower price than had you gone directly to that product when entering the site. You appear to be a price shopper, so the system may offer you a lower price than normal to trigger you to buy before you head out to another site. Or, a product gets a write-up on some popular website. An online vendor sees a surge of interest in the product. The price might then be increased temporarily. Lots of artificial intelligence being applied in this field.

I remember reading a story about a manufacturer who saw their product vary in price on Amazon between $10 and $15. It appeared to align with increased sales (when sales were up, the price went up), but the manufacturer wasn't in control of what Amazon was charging.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:06 pm

tic wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:50 pm
Amazon is rarely the cheapest. This has been studied and quantified.

The real kicker to me has been that recently I have twice found Amazon Basics brand items (new) cheaper on Ebay than they were on Amazon.
My wife just bought my kids' Xmas presents on Ebay: a pair of Amazon Fire HD10 tablets. They were ~30% cheaper on Ebay then they were on Amazon...on Prime day. Plus we used Rakutan (ebates) and the Rakutan credit card for an extra 7% cash back, plus a $50 bonus cashback because it was my first purchase with that CC.

If you use camelcamelcamel(or the like), you can still get good deals on Amazon. I comparo shop everything and it is extremely rare now when Amazon is the cheapest price. It's convenience, period.
Last edited by stoptothink on Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:10 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:59 pm
As others have pointed out, old news. Amazon used to do price matches, no more. They used to do price adjustments when their own prices dropped, no more. At the same time other retailers have gotten more aggressive about competing with Amazon.
I've seen instances of higher prices at Amazon (compared to Costco, etc.) before but never the magnitude of what I mentioned in my OP.
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:15 pm

I find that Amazon usually doesn't beat Costco, but beats or matches most other stores including Target/Walmart etc, unless there is some sort of sale or special event going on.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:27 pm

decapod10 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:15 pm
I find that Amazon usually doesn't beat Costco, but beats or matches most other stores including Target/Walmart etc, unless there is some sort of sale or special event going on.
If I'm looking at the right item mentioned in your OP, it's a 120-pack, vs 100-pack at Costco. Explains part (but not all) of the higher price.

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:46 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:27 pm
If I'm looking at the right item mentioned in your OP, it's a 120-pack, vs 100-pack at Costco. Explains part (but not all) of the higher price.
I'm pretty sure I checked 100-ct vs. 100-ct... But I just now checked Amazon's prices again. Their current price for SFB French Roast, 100-ct, is $45.93. Their price for 120-ct is $46.87. That said, due to Amazon's pricing mechanisms it's possible you're getting different pricing from them than I am...

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:50 pm

I didn't stop shopping on Amazon because other places were cheaper, I stopped shopping on Amazon because so much of their inventory (even those "sold by Amazon") are counterfeit. If I'm getting a knockoff, I don't care that it's cheaper.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:55 pm

vitaflo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:50 pm
I didn't stop shopping on Amazon because other places were cheaper, I stopped shopping on Amazon because so much of their inventory (even those "sold by Amazon") are counterfeit. If I'm getting a knockoff, I don't care that it's cheaper.
I haven't had this happen on items shipped AND sold by Amazon, but apparently it can happen when inventory gets mixed with third-party sellers whose items are fulfilled by Amazon.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:57 pm

02nz wrote:
decapod10 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:15 pm
I'm not the OP, but I've found things like coffee, vitamins, things like that are usually significantly cheaper at Costco. A lot of those bulk non-perishables. Also note that in-store prices at Costco may be cheaper than their online price, so you need to actually go to the store if you want to be sure you're getting the best Costco price. In-store is for sure cheaper than the Google Express Costco which has a significant mark-up)

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:01 pm

catdude wrote:
Hi Bogleheads -

The other day I was at Costco and checked the price on San Francisco Bay coffee k-cups. They had the SFB French Roast variety for $29.99 (100-count). Later that day I checked the price on Amazon. It was $44.28. Yikes! Amazon is 48% higher than Costco on this item! :shock: I realize it's just one data point, but I find this amazing. Is it just grocery items where Amazon is way over-priced? Or does it extend to other categories?

I invite y'all to contribute other examples of price differences to this thread....
It is great to see other comparison shoppers. I always do this.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:02 pm

It's not uncommon for special SKUs and versions of products to be sold exclusively to warehouses like Costco and Sam's. Sometimes, third party vendors buy said products and resell on Amazon.... and they must mark it up to keep a profit.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:07 pm

amazon hasn't been the price leader for many years. Always cross shop google shopping and ebay for any big purchases. Ebay is often the best actually and you can typically get a rebate thru rakuten. Costco is also not typically a price leader, but they have a great return policy and carry mostly all high quality goods.

Amazon is just good for convenience/fast shipping and selection volume. It's the convenience/customer service leader. It basically reduces the amount of time you have to look around if you want something quick.
Last edited by dustinst22 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:11 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:41 pm
9" x 75' roll Fortiflash buildlng seam waterproofing tape.

Amazon.com: $63.57 plus $5.25 shipping per roll.

Home Depot, locally on the shelf: $34.47 plus tax.

Compare prices
Shop carefully

j
I use Amazon a lot but I still go to Home Depot and Costco too.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:12 pm

Many, many items are MUCH cheaper elsewhere. Crazy how little people know when they shop on Amazon. The markups are crazy on many items.

boogiehead

Post by boogiehead » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm

Amazon no longer needs to compete strictly on price as they have a competitive advantage in terms of their logistics ability. What is more shocking to me is the big price discrepancy of target in-store price vs. their online price. The mark-up for in-store items can be as much as 50% more :annoyed !

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:55 pm
vitaflo wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:50 pm
I haven't had this happen on items shipped AND sold by Amazon, but apparently it can happen when inventory gets mixed with third-party sellers whose items are fulfilled by Amazon.
Then you got lucky because Amazon co-mingles everything, even items shipped and sold by Amazon. The only items that don't have this problem are the Amazon brands (Amazon Basics, etc), because there are no 3rd party sellers for those items.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:25 pm

Amazon hasn't had the lowest prices since the 90s.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:45 pm

catdude wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:46 pm
02nz wrote:
I'm pretty sure I checked 100-ct vs. 100-ct... But I just now checked Amazon's prices again. Their current price for SFB French Roast, 100-ct, is $45.93. Their price for 120-ct is $46.87. That said, due to Amazon's pricing mechanisms it's possible you're getting different pricing from them than I am...
I couldn't find a 100-ct at Costco.com.
Don't be a lemming.

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:58 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:45 pm
catdude wrote:
02nz wrote:
Here's a link:

https://www.costco.com/San-Francisco-Ba ... 81432.html

Note the in-store price (last time I checked) was $29.99, but the web site price is $32.99 + $3.00 delivery cost.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:59 pm

catdude wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:58 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
catdude wrote:
02nz wrote:
Product Not Found

We're sorry, the product you are looking for cannot be found.
Here's a link:

Note the in-store price (last time I checked) was $29.99, but the web site price is $32.99 + $3.00 delivery cost.
Don't be a lemming.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:59 pm

catdude wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:58 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
catdude wrote:
02nz wrote:
Here's a link:

Product Not Found

We're sorry, the product you are looking for cannot be found.

The Costco.com site sucks. I tried every way I could think of to find 100 ct.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be a lemming.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:06 pm

prudent wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Their system can change prices 24/7 based on who's shopping, how they shop, what other sellers are charging and supply/demand (aka "surge pricing" and "dynamic pricing"... airlines do the same thing). The camelcamelcamel site is handy for monitoring Amazon pricing.

For example, if you browse a number of similar products on a shopping site, the next similar product you look at may be offered to you at a lower price than had you gone directly to that product when entering the site. You appear to be a price shopper, so the system may offer you a lower price than normal to trigger you to buy before you head out to another site. Or, a product gets a write-up on some popular website. An online vendor sees a surge of interest in the product. The price might then be increased temporarily. Lots of artificial intelligence being applied in this field.

I remember reading a story about a manufacturer who saw their product vary in price on Amazon between $10 and $15. It appeared to align with increased sales (when sales were up, the price went up), but the manufacturer wasn't in control of what Amazon was charging.
+1 For camelcamelcamel

For things i buy regularly I have price alerts and I buy when prices are lowest.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 pm

I recently bought a laptop from Costco for much less than what it was on Amazon (slightly better specs too... such as more RAM). Plus, Costco added one year to the existing mfgr's one year warranty and using a Citi Costco card doubled the warranty to 4 years. Plus Costco has a 90-day return policy. With Amazon it's 30 days, but if you open the box, it's yours.

For a Costco member, when the price of an electronic item is anywhere near what Amazon is offering, I don't know why the heck you'd buy from Amazon.
Trade the news and you will lose.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:20 pm

Low prices was before they dominated retail and drove all the malls out of business. Now everyone is hooked and ordering six days per week, they charge whatever they like.

furwut

Post by furwut » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:27 pm

What concerns me most is the day Amazon weaponizes that data dossier they’ve been building on everybody and begins to offer different prices to different people.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:33 pm

Publishers often beat Amazon's prices for books.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm

I recently saved about $100 on an office chair purchase at Walmart, compared to Amazon. Exact same chair. I also liked that I could pick it up at the store instead of having it delivered, for which they gave an additional $14 discount.

It definitely pays to shop around.

wilked

Post by wilked » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Do you mean one single store doesn’t have a monopoly on lowest pricing?

You just blew my mind....

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:10 pm

wilked wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:58 pm
Do you mean one single store doesn’t have a monopoly on lowest pricing?

You just blew my mind....
:shock:
Don't be a lemming.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:28 pm

My experience has been Amazon is less and less frequently the low price leader. Sometimes they are, but it's generally worth while to comparison shop for large purchases.

And I'm not even talking about having to search for niche online retailers like Newegg for computer parts or membership clubs like Costco.

For example, my laptop was cheaper in-store at Best Buy than on Amazon. I was actually already prepared to pay 5-10% more to buy there on the basis of the value of having been able to compare multiple models on display ("showrooming" potentially has a net worse effect in the long run), so I was pleasantly surprised when I checked Amazon's price and found Best Buy was cheaper.

Also, I'm pretty sure it is not Amazon's strategy to win on price. They want to win on convenience, habit, variety, etc to enable them to maintain higher margins than they can manage by winning on price.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Amazon hasn't been a low cost for the past 4-5 yrs for me. I always get the deal at eBay, Walmart/Target, any other random retailers or directly from the manufacturer. A simple Google search of the same product will give you 80-90% chance of lower price elsewhere.

Amazon gives you great return policy and pretty fast shipping (even without prime) for me.

I don't shop Amazon for price, it's there for convenience.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Which one do you like best?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

spidercharm01

Post by spidercharm01 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:58 pm

I stopped shopping with Amazon a long time back. At least regular purchases. Once in a while, if there is a good deal and I can't get it anywhere else i would buy.

Definitely much cheaper prices at walmart, safeway and other local stores. I think Amazon is starting to become a monopoly (considering number of businesses they are getting into) and no longer need to offer lower prices as they did before. I know some folks have stopped noticing with automatic purchases and subscribe and save. But, they are overpaying quite a bit in most cases.

With Walmart now offering 1 or 2 day shipping on most items and free pickup service, it makes no sense to pay for Prime either.

There is also ethical issue with how they are killing all the competition in several business categories. Eliminating competition is never good in the long run and need to be checked.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:33 pm

catdude wrote:
Is it just grocery items where Amazon is way over-priced? Or does it extend to other categories?
I think it extends to other categories. I don't shop on Amazon nowhere near as often as I did years ago. Unless I'm looking for a product I can't find elsewhere, Amazon probably won't be the best price for me.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 pm

I’m probably the last human who isn’t prime, never have been, never will be. I watch prices like a hawk and I simply can’t shop there they are so high... not a fan

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 am

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 pm
I’m probably the last human who isn’t prime, never have been, never will be. I watch prices like a hawk and I simply can’t shop there they are so high... not a fan
I get prime free trial for 2 months every yr. Cancel and repeat before it charges me. Great to get stuff delivered fast for the months I have it.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:27 am

1) You need to differentiate between Amazon and third-party merchants who sell there. Some third-party merchants ask outrageous prices, no doubt hoping that customers are inattentive to what things cost.

2) Amazon prices are certainly not as appealing as they used to be, but, for example, their books, cds and dvds are almost always less expensive than Barnes and Noble. And Amazon has almost everything.

3) You just have to know what things cost. Amazon prices fluctuate wildly, so keep things in your cart and buy on the drops. The current wifi 9.7" iPad is usually $398, but they often have it for $329, which is the price for which we bought it. I haven't used it yet, but I bought an Instant Pot Duo 6 (?) recently for $49.99. That's an excellent price. I don't use K-Cups, which may be convenient but increase the cost and decrease the freshness of coffee, so I wouldn't buy them at Amazon, Costco or anywhere else.

4) I love Costco, but you can't compare Amazon and Costco. Amazon has everything while Costco has a small collection. The price at Costco is generally cheaper but not always. Certainly, don't buy Kirkland products from third-party sellers on Amazon.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:35 am

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 pm
Where are you shopping for the lowest prices? Every time I see one of these threads, I search around for the lowest price on the next few purchases. Amazon always seems to be the lowest price or tied for the lowest price. The exception to this is the kind of items traditionally sold at the grocery store which I seldom order online anyway.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:46 am

dustinst22 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:07 pm
amazon hasn't been the price leader for many years. Always cross shop google shopping and ebay for any big purchases. Ebay is often the best actually and you can typically get a rebate thru rakuten.
How often to you get a manufacturers warranty with a new item purchased on EBay? How do you identify those sellers?