Up State New York speeding ticket for a non-New York resident.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mmcmonster

Up State New York speeding ticket for a non-New York resident.

Post by mmcmonster » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:18 am

So I just got my first Up State New York speeding ticket (in Corning, NY).

The ticket doesn't say how much the fine is or even the phone number to call to get the info. I scoured the internet and couldn't find any information on how to proceed. Apparently if the ticket is in NY City, you can pay online. For Up State, all the hits end up at lawyer firms wanting to represent me

The ticket itself just says I need to either plead guilty or non-guilty on the ticket and return to the court via mail or in person within three weeks.

My situation:
* I was caught going 80 in a 65. I'm not contesting it. I just want to pay the fine and move on.
* I'm a PA resident, and Pennsylvania doesn't have reciprocity with New York regarding points, so that's not an issue.
* I'd rather do this myself than get a lawyer involved.
* I absolutely do not have the time to go to the court in Corning, NY.

My current thought is that I would just plead guilty and send the ticket back and see what happens. I called my State Farm agent and await his call back (he was on vacation and said he would get back to me this afternoon).

Anyone else have experience with Up State NY tickets?

(I'm actually quite annoyed that I couldn't find anything on the internet on how to just pay the fine without contacting a lawyer. I would suppose that information is available on some forum, but buried by all the ads for the lawyer firms. :annoyed )

mancich

Re: Up State New York speeding ticket for a non-New York resident.

Post by mancich » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:48 am

I live in upstate NY. If you’re sure there is no reciprocity from the standpoint of points on your license, then you only have to deal with possible insurance repercussions, pay the fine and move on, since you’re not going to show up in court to plead it down. The times I received a violation, I showed up in court, pleaded it down to something that didn’t affect insurance , paid the fine, and moved on. But I live here and it was usually near my home. They generally just want the money anyway.

Topic Author
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:06 am

mancich wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:48 am
I live in upstate NY. If you’re sure there is no reciprocity from the standpoint of points on your license, then you only have to deal with possible insurance repercussions, pay the fine and move on, since you’re not going to show up in court to plead it down.[...]
My problem is that there's no fine noted on the ticket itself. Apparently the fine is decided in court on that day. And I really don't want to drive four hours each way to get this taken care of. :(

It seems that the system is rigged to scare me into hiring a lawyer to take care of this. :annoyed

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:29 am

mmcmonster wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:18 am
The ticket itself just says I need to either plead guilty or non-guilty on the ticket and return to the court via mail or in person within three weeks.

My situation:
* I was caught going 80 in a 65. I'm not contesting it. I just want to pay the fine and move on.
* I'm a PA resident, and Pennsylvania doesn't have reciprocity with New York regarding points, so that's not an issue.

My current thought is that I would just plead guilty and send the ticket back and see what happens.
Sounds like you got it. If you don't want to fight it and just want to take your lumps, check guilty and mail it back in.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:32 am

Odd that there is such a lack of info on the actual ticket. Perhaps contact the Corning state police post or the sheriffs office for direction. Out of curiosity why would you contact your State Farm agent?

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:32 am

mmcmonster wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:06 am
mancich wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:48 am
I live in upstate NY. If you’re sure there is no reciprocity from the standpoint of points on your license, then you only have to deal with possible insurance repercussions, pay the fine and move on, since you’re not going to show up in court to plead it down.[...]
My problem is that there's no fine noted on the ticket itself. Apparently the fine is decided in court on that day. And I really don't want to drive four hours each way to get this taken care of. :(

It seems that the system is rigged to scare me into hiring a lawyer to take care of this. :annoyed
Your original post said “the ticket says to plead guilty or not, then mail it in or appear in court in 3 weeks”. Since you can not appear in person then the choice is obvious. Plead and mail it in. If you owe $$, they will mail you a letter and advise you.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

earningaverage

Post by earningaverage » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:34 am

New Yorker with a recent ticket here.

You don't have to actually go to the court, but mail in the ticket and they will mail back an amount to pay. I recently got a ticket for improper parking with no fine on the ticket. I thought it was a warning, until a couple months later I got a fine in the mail. Now I know.

Namashkar

Post by Namashkar » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 am

mmcmonster wrote:

The ticket doesn't say how much the fine is or even the phone number to call to get the info. I scoured the internet and couldn't find any information on how to proceed. Apparently if the ticket is in NY City, you can pay online. For Up State, all the hits end up at lawyer firms wanting to represent me

My situation:

My current thought is that I would just plead guilty and send the ticket back and see what happens. I called my State Farm agent and await his call back (he was on vacation and said he would get back to me this afternoon).

(I'm actually quite annoyed that I couldn't find anything on the internet on how to just pay the fine without contacting a lawyer. I would suppose that information is available on some forum, but buried by all the ads for the lawyer firms. :annoyed )
The same thing happened to me recently. The only difference is you were given ticket in Corning NY and I was given ticket in Bath NY for a speed of 80 in the 65 speed zone. The County for both Corning and Bath is Steuben. I approached the Bath Police Department and the receptionist suggested me to approach the District Attorney Office for Steuben County. The DA office currently has a fine reducing program in place (phone # 607-664-2270 option 1). According to instructions, I downloaded a fine reducing form and returned it with my PA driver license record. I did not have any previous driving violence in PA. The DA office then considered my case and has reduced the violation from 4 points to 2 points non-moving violation. I am still waiting to hear from the Bath Police department as to what fine money I will need to pay after the proposed reduction. I am expecting to receive something in the mail within a week. I will provide further status on my case as soon as I receive information on fine in this thread.

G3VALD1G

Post by G3VALD1G » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:44 am

In NYS, most counties besides NYC will always try to reduce the fine to a parking ticket. Which will be a fine only with no record and no points. The reasoning behind is, the proceeds of a speeding ticket goes for the state, and the proceeds of a parking ticket go to the local county. The courts are all local. This should work everywhere in the state besides NYC which works on a different system controlled by the state DMV.

If there is any chance that the ticket will raise your premium then it may be cheaper to plead not guilty, and settle for a parking ticket. Consult a local attorney to see your options. The parking fine is generally up to 300 dollars. And the attorney fee it's also about 200 to 300. If you go through a agency that refers attorneys statewide they will charge and additional 250.

Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 am

This happened to me. I received a ticket outside of Buffalo. I remember calling the court in the jurisdiction that the ticket was in. The clerk just verbally told me what the fine would be. I could have sworn the phone number was on the ticket. If not, I may have just google searched the court's phone number. I got a clerk on the phone and he filled me in. I can't remember if I mailed a money order in with my guilty ticket or if I waited to hear back from them officially regarding the fine.

If you don't want to call upfront, simply check "guilty" on the ticket, mail it in and wait to hear from them.

Topic Author
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.

I spoke to a person in the city of Corning. She confirmed my suspicions (and what several of you noted, as well), that I just need to mail back that I am guilty and that they would then determine and notify me of the outstanding fine. I'll do that after I speak to my State Farm rep, who said he will call me back this morning. (He offered to call me yesterday, but he was on vacation and I told him that it could wait.)

My State Farm rep is a nice guy. In the past he's told me several times whether certain claims should be made to State Farm or not, depending on if the money I would be reimbursed would be more than the increase in the insurance rate. I'm comfortable enough that he wouldn't automatically report me to corporate central and raise my rates, potentially losing me as a customer.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:58 am

mmcmonster wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am
Thanks, everyone, for the replies.
I spoke to a person in the city of Corning. She confirmed my suspicions (and what several of you noted, as well), that I just need to mail back that I am guilty and that they would then determine and notify me of the outstanding fine. I'll do that after I speak to my State Farm rep, who said he will call me back this morning. (He offered to call me yesterday, but he was on vacation and I told him that it could wait.)
My State Farm rep is a nice guy. In the past he's told me several times whether certain claims should be made to State Farm or not, depending on if the money I would be reimbursed would be more than the increase in the insurance rate. I'm comfortable enough that he wouldn't automatically report me to corporate central and raise my rates, potentially losing me as a customer.
Many years ago, the same thing happened to me in that same area - Painted Post!. We got off the expressway to get something to eat, and were stopped and ticketed by an oncoming police officer that claimed we were speeding by quite a bit. I was not sure, but I think we may not have been speeding and I would have contested the ticket. However, we live 300 miles away and it was too far to conveniently go in person - and I certainly did not want to pay an attorney, etc.

So, I just paid the fine (sent a check by mail). I do not think that ticket ever affected my car insurance (State Farm) rates and I also doubt my insurance company was ever even notified. We live in Virginia.

We just got back from the same trip - and, when in the area of Painted Post - I am always very mindful of that ticket and do not want another one like that.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:52 pm

Op

If you decide to show up for court date like others noted you could get it reduced to misdemeanor, I recommend this. I received three speeding tickets, off of 87 north both times once hiring a lawyer, second time reduced to misdemeanor.

The third time the officer did not show up and judge dismissed everyone who showed up.

You could take drivers ed to reduce points post court date.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:12 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:52 pm
Op

If you decide to show up for court date like others noted you could get it reduced to misdemeanor, I recommend this. I received three speeding tickets, off of 87 north both times once hiring a lawyer, second time reduced to misdemeanor.

The third time the officer did not show up and judge dismissed everyone who showed up.

Reduced to a misdemeanor??? So you were issued a felony ticket???
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:43 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Reduced to a misdemeanor??? So you were issued a felony ticket???
I didn’t get my license suspended and lots of people have moving violations, the issue at hand is the OP wants to declare guilty at the higher speed, i did essentially but as a misdemeanor which would you have as the better of two evils?

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:06 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:52 pm
Op
From my wife's local experience in contesting a speeding ticket - and going to Court to contest it - the probability of being successful was dependent on whether the ticket happened to be just something the officer saw or detected (those all thrown out by the judge, including my wife's) OR something that was a specific observation or tracking of the specific offences (none thrown out).

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:11 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:06 pm

From my wife's local experience in contesting a speeding ticket - and going to Court to contest it - the probability of being successful was dependent on whether the ticket happened to be just something the officer saw or detected (those all thrown out by the judge, including my wife's) OR something that was a specific observation or tracking of the specific offences (none thrown out).
Dm200 as a three time speeder, one is better showing up in court, OP wants to plead guilty.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:14 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:11 pm
dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:06 pm
Dm200 as a three time speeder, one is better showing up in court, OP wants to plead guilty.
OK - I had been a zero time speeder. So, going from zero to one (in a distant state) was no big deal for me.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:30 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:14 pm

OK - I had been a zero time speeder. So, going from zero to one (in a distant state) was no big deal for me.
dm200, I'm offering the OP another option, just because you have a clean record, does not give an actionable suggestion to OP.

Madison12

Post by Madison12 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:01 pm

get a lawyer. Often these tickets help everyone in that area including the police. He will plead it down or offer to do so by saying something is wrong with your speedometer or something along those lines, they drop the speed to 70, you get no points and its over. You pay more but its worth it. And I don't think your are correct about New York and Pa not working together. I would confirm that one.

aas

Post by aas » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:38 pm

I live in the Syracuse area and have used the service of
Ticketdoctor.net to reduce traffic violations to non moving violations for a reasonable cost. They usually charge about $120 per violation. it is simple and cheaper than pleading guilty and pay the max state fine.

Fudgie

Post by Fudgie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:10 am

G3VALD1G wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:44 am
In NYS, most counties besides NYC will always try to reduce the fine to a parking ticket. Which will be a fine only with no record and no points. The reasoning behind is, the proceeds of a speeding ticket goes for the state, and the proceeds of a parking ticket go to the local county. The courts are all local. This should work everywhere in the state besides NYC which works on a different system controlled by the state DMV.

If there is any chance that the ticket will raise your premium then it may be cheaper to plead not guilty, and settle for a parking ticket. Consult a local attorney to see your options. The parking fine is generally up to 300 dollars. And the attorney fee it's also about 200 to 300. If you go through a agency that refers attorneys statewide they will charge and additional 250.
I speed ALL THE TIME, and have been ticketed for it 5 or 6 times, and given warnings another 10 or 12 times(all in Upstate NY). I always lawyer up, and the lawyer intercedes with the DAs office before the court date. It's always either dropped altogether, or reduced to a parking ticket.

As a habitual speeder, the strategy here is never to be found guilty of that FIRST ticket. When the officer runs my license, it comes back spic and span, and the warnings are the fruit of having the clean license.

Not advocating speeding! YMMV (probably slower!) Wakka wakka

Namashkar

Post by Namashkar » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:55 am

Namashkar wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 am
mmcmonster wrote:

My situation:

The same thing happened to me recently. The only difference is you were given ticket in Corning NY and I was given ticket in Bath NY for a speed of 80 in the 65 speed zone. The County for both Corning and Bath is Steuben. I approached the Bath Police Department and the receptionist suggested me to approach the District Attorney Office for Steuben County. The DA office currently has a fine reducing program in place (phone # 607-664-2270 option 1). According to instructions, I downloaded a fine reducing form and returned it with my PA driver license record. I did not have any previous driving violence in PA. The DA office then considered my case and has reduced the violation from 4 points to 2 points non-moving violation. I am still waiting to hear from the Bath Police department as to what fine money I will need to pay after the proposed reduction. I am expecting to receive something in the mail within a week. I will provide further status on my case as soon as I receive information on fine in this thread.
Updates..

I was assessed ‘2 points non-moving violation’ which resulted in a total fine of $193. I just paid it yesterday. I do not think this will be reported to my PA driver records.
Last edited by Namashkar on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gill

Post by Gill » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:27 am

Namashkar wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:55 am
I do not think this will reported to my PA driver records.
Many, many years ago when I was a New York resident I received a red light ticket in Pennsylvania. The violation was reported to New York State and I understood at the time they had reciprocity. It may have changed since then and the fact you had a non-moving violation could make a difference.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

Topic Author
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:52 am

Update: I just got the fine in the mail (a couple hundred bucks, plus a 3% credit card handling fee). They don't take personal checks and wanted a money order. I just gave my Visa card info.

For those asking about reciprocity with PA: From question 3 on this site: https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Pages/FAQ%20Page ... AQ.aspx#Q3
Although reported to PennDOT, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will (NOT) appear on your driving record, unless you are a CDL holder. Points will not be assessed to your PA driving record when convicted of a point related offense in a DLC member state.
With the "NOT" being in parentheses, I'm not sure if it will be on my record. It's an odd way to write it. :annoyed

My State Farm rep said that State Farm will intermittently check the PA DOT for offenses (roughly once every two years). If they catch the fact that I was speeding in NY, they will likely raise my rates. He was not able to tell me when my next review would be.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:20 am

Fudgie wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:10 am
I speed ALL THE TIME, and have been ticketed for it 5 or 6 times, and given warnings another 10 or 12 times(all in Upstate NY). I always lawyer up, and the lawyer intercedes with the DAs office before the court date. It's always either dropped altogether, or reduced to a parking ticket.

As a habitual speeder, the strategy here is never to be found guilty of that FIRST ticket. When the officer runs my license, it comes back spic and span, and the warnings are the fruit of having the clean license.

Not advocating speeding! YMMV (probably slower!) Wakka wakka
I'll refrain from comment on your driving habits. However, I will mention that in some jurisdictions when a tag number on a vehicle is run by law enforcement, it not only returns owner information and whether the vehicle or tag is reported stolen, it also returns the traffic stop history for the vehicle. Don't be surprised if one day your luck runs out.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:05 am

Most states are members of the Driver's License Compact. Thus, while points in PA might not be assigned for a ticket in NY, it should appear on your PA driving record. VA for example would record the NY conviction but not any points. Depending on how NY transmits the data to PA, it simply may never appear (does the clerk at the Court enter the data or is a paper file sitting in a pile on someone's desk in Albany). Every state is different in the transmittal process. An isolated incident it won't affect much if anything other than insurance if its paid in full.

The key is getting it not to appear at all as pointed out above. In VA, its not unusual if you have a clean record to be able to get the judge to hold it in abeyance and if there are no other convictions in 6 months to have it disappear. I have known many people who have either had this happen or had a reckless offense reduced to speeding. In CO, that judicial discretion is almost unheard of.

The point system is frequently misunderstood and each state is different. Different states assign different points for the same offense and some states like VA don't allow a judge to alter points while in MD they can. Its not the points which will affect your insurance, but the offense.

Convictions might not appear on your driving record since they have "dropped off." But they would remain on the insurance system a lot longer. For example, in VA, due to a shortage of computer storage space, four point convictions were dropped off in 24 months instead of the normal 60 month time. That's been fixed however.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:55 am

As far as I know, the NY State speeding ticket I received never showed up on my driving or insurance record here in Virginia. Not sure why.

I was happy about that.