Using Damprid with metal objects

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Using Damprid with metal objects

Post by Caduceus » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:16 pm

Has anyone used Damprid to store metal objects (especially bronze items) in a closet, and has there been a problem?

I looked at the ingredient and it is calcium chloride, which makes me wonder, because calcium chloride is highly corrosive to metals. So I am interested in real-life experiences of folks who have used this product to store metals - has it helped or hurt? Is it safe as long as the Damprid - whether the solid crystals or the salty water it turns into - never comes into contact with the metals? (But then, why does sea air smell salty then? Won't the salt solution evaporate into the enclosed space?)

Starfish

Re: Using Damprid with metal objects

Post by Starfish » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:19 pm

I assume calcium chloride is there to keep the air dry.
See air smells "salty" because of the small droplets of salty water in the air from the waves and the wind. It is not the case here.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:29 pm

I tried Damprid, a lot of it, a long time ago in several areas of my home in Hawaii. Of course, it is very humid as it is the tropics. The first area was an enclosed closet with my guitars. I used the jumbo tubs of Damprid. They quickly soaked up moisture from the air and turned into a messy mush to throw away. It got too cumbersome and expensive. The moisture meter in the closet did not move much to be worth the effort.

The second area was an enclosed cabinet with fine metal tooling supplies. Also, welding rods which need to be kept as dry as possible. The experience was the same as before. Expensive mushy mess. And, not much lowering of humidity.

I considered both experiments a waste of time and a lot of money. Of course, results may vary depending on storage unit air tightness and humidity in the area.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:21 am

Starfish wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:19 pm
I assume calcium chloride is there to keep the air dry.
Se[a] air smells "salty" because of the small droplets of salty water in the air from the waves and the wind. It is not the case here.
Exactly. Plus, as Sandtrap found, a tub of the stuff can only absorb a certain amount of water.

A product like this would work in a sealed space. If air can move in and out, you'll need a dehumidifier.
Last edited by Bengineer on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:58 am

I have a music studio at home. Several instruments. Keyboards, drums, guitars, sound equipment. We tried Damp Rid and it was a mess. Bought a portable dehumidifier and run it weekly...no more problems...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:20 pm

Perhaps investigate the appropriateness of a "Goldenrod" for your needs. Intended for usage within gun safes, which likely seal more tightly than your closet when closed, but it could do the trick under the right circumstances. They are specifically designed to provide a measure of constant dehumidification, but they do require an electrical socket to power them. Just use "goldenrod gun safe" as your search term.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:04 pm

There are desiccant packs made for safes, designed to be "recharged" in the oven. They turn color so you can monitor their useful life. Here is an example. I would have bought this for my own safe if I had seen it. You could buy two or more if your closet is bigger.

https://www.theruststore.com/750-Gram-R ... r-P57.aspx

Sealing the closet with weatherstrip would help greatly to maximize the life between recharge.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Is Bogleheads still mainly a financial / investment focused forum?

Given the recent rash of "how do I..." or "can I do this..." or "is it safe to do..." topics, it's as if I've ventured onto some kind of general tech help / home improvement discussion board.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:44 pm

Yes, it is primarily financial but has several sub forums, such as this “personal consumer issues” one.