Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Topic Author
4nursebee
Posts: 1345
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am
Location: US

Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:12 pm

My following of the markets had me not being able to ignore the post IPO action of BYND. Today I had the chance to try a burger and do not get it.
8 oz = $4.99, two small patties
Lots of packaging, plastic tray, plastic wrap, cardboard over wrap. Seems like consumer reports could feature the packaging in the back.
Long ingredient list did not come across as natural.
The odor when cooking was quite unappealing, enough so we had to cook some spices to clear the air in the house.
Taste and texture okay, better with ketchup.
I do not think we will buy this product again.
I am biased against vegetarian products mimicking meat products.

What is your experience with this product? Are there more products from the company that I should try?
I do not get the run up in company price, would rather short it than buy it. No shares available to short.
4nursebee

MotoTrojan
Posts: 6811
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:16 pm

I’ve heard mixed things about the patties and many prefer impossible’s. I have heard that the breakfast sausage from beyond is fantastic so perhaps try that. Even people who can’t stand the patty have said those are almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

trevorshhh
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by trevorshhh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm

I need to limit my red meat consumption for health reasons but I like burgers, so I've tried both Impossible and Beyond Meat Burgers at local/non-chain restaurants. Unfortunately I was not able to try both made by the same restaurant for a true comparison, but Impossible (2.0) was a much better taste and consistency. It was indistinguishable from real meat, though it was not the best burger I had. It was like a well done hamburger and I like them a little rawer. I've had Beyond twice at two locations and both times I was rather underwhelmed.
"Invest in seven ventures, yes, in eight; you do not know what disaster may come upon the land." -Ecclesiastes 11:2 NIV

oldfatguy
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm

My daughter seems to like the Beyond Meat burgers better than other "veggie" burgers we have tried. I agree that the excessive packaging and high price is unappealing. I haven't noticed any unusual odor, but I have only cooked them on the grill so far.

The second best brand we've had so far is Gardein.

bloom2708
Posts: 6953
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:21 pm

I don't like onions. People still buy a lot of onions.

I would just move on. Shorting an onion company because I don't like onions wouldn't make much sense.

There will be a market for meat alternatives. It will succeed or fail if consumers hop on board or not. Not much new. Just getting extra PR at the moment.

I liked the Impossible Burger better than the Beyond Meat burger.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

MI_bogle
Posts: 440
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by MI_bogle » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:26 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:12 pm
My following of the markets had me not being able to ignore the post IPO action of BYND. Today I had the chance to try a burger and do not get it.
8 oz = $4.99, two small patties
Lots of packaging, plastic tray, plastic wrap, cardboard over wrap. Seems like consumer reports could feature the packaging in the back.
Long ingredient list did not come across as natural.
The odor when cooking was quite unappealing, enough so we had to cook some spices to clear the air in the house.
Taste and texture okay, better with ketchup.
I do not think we will buy this product again.
I am biased against vegetarian products mimicking meat products.

What is your experience with this product? Are there more products from the company that I should try?
I do not get the run up in company price, would rather short it than buy it. No shares available to short.


I haven't had Beyond Meat, but I did try the Impossible Burger and it was surprisingly good. And I am also biased against vegetarian products mimicking meat. Vegan sausage? Get out of here. Plenty of vegan things that are good, no need to have a nasty sausage imitator

Don't conflate not liking a product with shorting it. Your personal opinion about a product has very little to do with the fundamentals of a company and it's valuation

MrCastaway
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 18, 2019 7:50 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by MrCastaway » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:28 pm

We bought 4 patties and were hopeful, we are not vegans but also not big red meat eaters. This was about a month ago. 2 patties ended up in the trash which is saying a lot because my wife hates wasting food. They are also quite expensive. I guess if you have not had a burger in a long time they taste good but I’m absolutely befuddled by their recent success.

User avatar
Blueskies123
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by Blueskies123 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:29 pm

I did not like them, to me they had a slight metallic after taste.

TravelGeek
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:29 pm

I like them.

finfire
Posts: 185
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by finfire » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Had one recently. Didn't expect to like it, but I really did..... :happy

MotoTrojan
Posts: 6811
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 pm

trevorshhh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm
I need to limit my red meat consumption for health reasons but I like burgers, so I've tried both Impossible and Beyond Meat Burgers at local/non-chain restaurants. Unfortunately I was not able to try both made by the same restaurant for a true comparison, but Impossible (2.0) was a much better taste and consistency. It was indistinguishable from real meat, though it was not the best burger I had. It was like a well done hamburger and I like them a little rawer. I've had Beyond twice at two locations and both times I was rather underwhelmed.
My SO makes incredible turkey burgers. May be worth exploring, but I wouldn’t recommend eating it rawer.

trevorshhh
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by trevorshhh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:52 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 pm
trevorshhh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm
I need to limit my red meat consumption for health reasons but I like burgers, so I've tried both Impossible and Beyond Meat Burgers at local/non-chain restaurants. Unfortunately I was not able to try both made by the same restaurant for a true comparison, but Impossible (2.0) was a much better taste and consistency. It was indistinguishable from real meat, though it was not the best burger I had. It was like a well done hamburger and I like them a little rawer. I've had Beyond twice at two locations and both times I was rather underwhelmed.
My SO makes incredible turkey burgers. May be worth exploring, but I wouldn’t recommend eating it rawer.
My SO uses ground turkey (or sometimes pork) for most meals you'd generally use ground beef for (spaghetti, meatloaf, tacos, etc.) and it's a good substitute. Not as much for burgers, but maybe I just haven't had the right recipe.
"Invest in seven ventures, yes, in eight; you do not know what disaster may come upon the land." -Ecclesiastes 11:2 NIV

Trader Joe
Posts: 1257
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by Trader Joe » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:54 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:12 pm
My following of the markets had me not being able to ignore the post IPO action of BYND. Today I had the chance to try a burger and do not get it.
8 oz = $4.99, two small patties
Lots of packaging, plastic tray, plastic wrap, cardboard over wrap. Seems like consumer reports could feature the packaging in the back.
Long ingredient list did not come across as natural.
The odor when cooking was quite unappealing, enough so we had to cook some spices to clear the air in the house.
Taste and texture okay, better with ketchup.
I do not think we will buy this product again.
I am biased against vegetarian products mimicking meat products.

What is your experience with this product? Are there more products from the company that I should try?
I do not get the run up in company price, would rather short it than buy it. No shares available to short.
I have tried it and I do not like the smell or the taste. I prefer real burgers.

otinkyad
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?ve

Post by otinkyad » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:51 pm

I would love to eat less red meat, but I’m not going to turn vegetarian. I have high hopes for products like this. One of the Google cafes had a soy sausage patty that was flat better than any pork sausage patty I’ve ever had. Like a few others here, I also prefer the Impossible 2.0 over Beyond burgers, but both are in my “decent burger” category. (Impossible 1.0 was not as good.) My wife uses Beyond meat as a ground beef substitute, and in some dishes we can’t tell the difference. One of the Impossible execs has said that they’ll keep getting better, which is harder for the cows to do.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 6665
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:53 pm

Last edited by whodidntante on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SquawkIdent
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: Planet Earth

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by SquawkIdent » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:55 pm

I had one at a restaurant recently and I did not like it. It's a little too realistic and that was part of the problem. Yes, it's a great discovery to be able to do that but the taste wasn't very good either. I ended up eating half and leaving the rest.

It's actually the first veggie burger I didn't care for.

fru-gal
Posts: 1173
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Location: New England

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by fru-gal » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:56 pm

I understand they taste like meat, which, as a vegetarian, I find disgusting.

The only veggie burger I have liked was one Trader Joe's had for awhile, called something like a pizza burger. The others seem dry and tasteless.

For some reason, the Morningstar veggie sausage and veggie bacon, both of which taste like their namesakes, are okay with my puzzling conscience.

stoptothink
Posts: 6498
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:01 pm

trevorshhh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:52 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 pm
trevorshhh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm
I need to limit my red meat consumption for health reasons but I like burgers, so I've tried both Impossible and Beyond Meat Burgers at local/non-chain restaurants. Unfortunately I was not able to try both made by the same restaurant for a true comparison, but Impossible (2.0) was a much better taste and consistency. It was indistinguishable from real meat, though it was not the best burger I had. It was like a well done hamburger and I like them a little rawer. I've had Beyond twice at two locations and both times I was rather underwhelmed.
My SO makes incredible turkey burgers. May be worth exploring, but I wouldn’t recommend eating it rawer.
My SO uses ground turkey (or sometimes pork) for most meals you'd generally use ground beef for (spaghetti, meatloaf, tacos, etc.) and it's a good substitute. Not as much for burgers, but maybe I just haven't had the right recipe.
Out of curiosity, why is it believed that ground turkey or pork is a superior alternative to beef? If prepared similarly (ground), the concentration of saturated fat and cholesterol is basically equal.

DesertDiva
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: In the desert

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by DesertDiva » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:02 pm

I'm not going to try it. We're avoiding processed foods as much as possible.

sschullo
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Rancho Mirage, CA
Contact:

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by sschullo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:09 pm

Any decent food product to get away from wholly unhealthy dairy products (such as fruits, veggies, legumes, fish), a long list of products I try also to avoid: filthy petroleum (use solar and electric cars), prescription drugs (diet and exercise for health) and avoid expensive financial advisers (Vanguard and TIAA for low costs and higher returns).
Last edited by sschullo on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

jibantik
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by jibantik » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:16 pm

Beyond meat is a good veggie burger, but there is no doubt you are eating a veggie burger. Impossible burger is almost good enough to trick you.

SuperSaver1975
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by SuperSaver1975 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:31 pm

The ingredients list says canola oil is one of the top 4 ingredients, which is a deal breaker for me. Canola oil is not fit for animal consumption. The Beyond burger is just another processed food.

My daughter is a vegetarian and I periodically look into meat substitutes. I always end up with the same conclusion: just more processed food that I will never purchase for my family. So my daughter gets her protein & fat from things like cheese and unprocessed nuts & legumes.

Dontwasteit
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by Dontwasteit » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:42 pm

I wanted to buy a few shares of BYND right after the IPO.. I did the Boglehead thing and resisted. It's at about 200 p.s.

KyleAAA
Posts: 7580
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:47 pm

No. If I wanted something that tasted just like a burger, I would eat a burger. I am a vegetarian because I do not like burgers, among other things.

User avatar
ray.james
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 am

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by ray.james » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:08 pm

SuperSaver1975 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:31 pm
The ingredients list says canola oil is one of the top 4 ingredients, which is a deal breaker for me. Canola oil is not fit for animal consumption. The Beyond burger is just another processed food.

My daughter is a vegetarian and I periodically look into meat substitutes. I always end up with the same conclusion: just more processed food that I will never purchase for my family. So my daughter gets her protein & fat from things like cheese and unprocessed nuts & legumes.
What is the issue with canola oil? I read it is actually considered good one in reasonable cost. <PM if it veers into medical.>
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

tesuzuki2002
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:33 pm

I think it's terrible.... But I also do not consume a lot of red meat any more in general... the few times of year I have steak and or burgers are certainly not impacting the world from a meat production stand point.

sschullo
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 am
Location: Rancho Mirage, CA
Contact:

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by sschullo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:41 pm

duplication
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22280
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:42 pm

I get the "Beyond Meat" burger at Silver Diner.

Very good, in my opinion.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 15977
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:51 pm

Never tried but recently read interesting articles in The Wall Street Journal.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

stan1
Posts: 7696
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by stan1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:24 am

You'll only know if you try it. How much are you out if you don't like it?

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 4356
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by lthenderson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:11 am

My wife brought home four of the Beyond Meat burgers last week and I threw them on the grill. Whatever oil that leached out of them was extremely flammable because I had to keep rotating them to different spots in order to not turn them into charcoal. As I was grilling them alongside some real burgers, my other question is what is done? I looked at the package (which seemed very environmentally unfriendly) and there was no help there so I just cooked them until they firmed up a bit.

Eating wise, I thought they tasted good but they definitely did not taste like a hamburger. I definitely knew I was eating something made of vegetables and other products. If someone served them up to me at a party, I would definitely eat them again.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22280
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:37 am

I have not seen or tried them, but I read recently that there is (or will soon be) a new version that is supposed to be better tasting and much more like real "meat".

User avatar
tuningfork
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by tuningfork » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:47 am

I bought some Beyond Burgers at the grocery store a few months ago. Expensive, excessive packaging, taste and especially texture wasn't as good as I had expected it to be given all the marketing hype. If they were cheaper than beef or turkey burgers then I might consider buying them occasionally. Otherwise it's a "no".

I'd like to try Beyond Sausage since many claim it's better than their burger product, but I can't find it at any local grocery. I've tried a couple of other veggie sausages and they were just barely palatable.

I've had Boca burgers every once in a while, though not recently. They had pretty decent taste and texture given that you knew it was a veggie burger. Boca didn't come across to me as trying to mimic a real burger in taste and texture, so they could focus on making a good veggie burger rather than trying to imitate a beef burger.

Looking forward to trying Impossible Burgers when they show up in the local grocery stores.

markcoop
Posts: 1054
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:36 am

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by markcoop » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 am

I agree with posters who don't want there food tasting like meat. To me, the best veggie burgers are the ones not trying to be meat, but instead try to mix good ingredients (usually brown rice and vegetables) into a patty shape. Put that on a multi-grain bun and top with lettuce, tomato, sprouts, avocado and maybe a little hot sauce and you have something worth eating. Pretty simple rule - if it has many ingredients and you can't pronounce some of them, it is not good for you. I would rather eat a grass-fed fresh ground hamburger then a processed veggie burger.
Mark

User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1449
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by Ice-9 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:03 am

I'm someone who likes my real burgers well done. I've been trying to have veggie burgers around as a go-to at lunch to reduce my red meat intake. I tried Beyond Meat burgers a couple months ago and actually liked them better than Boca burgers, even though the patty remains so red on the inside I'd never eat a real burger of the same color.

Then I was about to buy another pack at Safeway, and noticed Safeway had their own generic similar product in similar packaging for about a dollar less than the Beyond Meat version. Also, I seem to remember the ingredient list on Safeway's version looked a bit more natural than that of the Beyond Meat version. Been buying those ever since and like them.

Haven't tried Impossible yet; not sure where to get them. However, I heard Burger King will have them soon.

User avatar
JMacDonald
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by JMacDonald » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:09 am

I try to avoid eating meat. I had a taco with Beyond Meat at Del Taco when it was first offered. I didn't care for it and won't order it again. Also the ingredients don't seem to be very healthy.
Best Wishes, | Joe

RadAudit
Posts: 3608
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by RadAudit » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:17 am

Not at this P/E ratio.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

new2bogle
Posts: 1480
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by new2bogle » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:17 am

4nursebee wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:12 pm
My following of the markets had me not being able to ignore the post IPO action of BYND. Today I had the chance to try a burger and do not get it.
8 oz = $4.99, two small patties
Lots of packaging, plastic tray, plastic wrap, cardboard over wrap. Seems like consumer reports could feature the packaging in the back.
Long ingredient list did not come across as natural.
The odor when cooking was quite unappealing, enough so we had to cook some spices to clear the air in the house.
Taste and texture okay, better with ketchup.
I do not think we will buy this product again.
I am biased against vegetarian products mimicking meat products.

What is your experience with this product? Are there more products from the company that I should try?
I do not get the run up in company price, would rather short it than buy it. No shares available to short.
Then why are you spending $4.99 for 8oz of it? Seems "beyond" crazy to me.

trevorshhh
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by trevorshhh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 am

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:01 pm
trevorshhh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:52 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 pm
trevorshhh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm
I need to limit my red meat consumption for health reasons but I like burgers, so I've tried both Impossible and Beyond Meat Burgers at local/non-chain restaurants. Unfortunately I was not able to try both made by the same restaurant for a true comparison, but Impossible (2.0) was a much better taste and consistency. It was indistinguishable from real meat, though it was not the best burger I had. It was like a well done hamburger and I like them a little rawer. I've had Beyond twice at two locations and both times I was rather underwhelmed.
My SO makes incredible turkey burgers. May be worth exploring, but I wouldn’t recommend eating it rawer.
My SO uses ground turkey (or sometimes pork) for most meals you'd generally use ground beef for (spaghetti, meatloaf, tacos, etc.) and it's a good substitute. Not as much for burgers, but maybe I just haven't had the right recipe.
Out of curiosity, why is it believed that ground turkey or pork is a superior alternative to beef? If prepared similarly (ground), the concentration of saturated fat and cholesterol is basically equal.
That's a good question. I have issues with my liver and my doctor has specifically prescribed limiting red meat, saying turkey is a good alternative. I don't know the why.
"Invest in seven ventures, yes, in eight; you do not know what disaster may come upon the land." -Ecclesiastes 11:2 NIV

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 7765
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by JoMoney » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 am

No, and I don't understand why someone who doesn't want to eat meat would want to eat something that simulates eating meat.
There's plenty of non-meat good food out there.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

stoptothink
Posts: 6498
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by stoptothink » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 am

trevorshhh wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 am
stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:01 pm
trevorshhh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:52 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:32 pm
trevorshhh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm
I need to limit my red meat consumption for health reasons but I like burgers, so I've tried both Impossible and Beyond Meat Burgers at local/non-chain restaurants. Unfortunately I was not able to try both made by the same restaurant for a true comparison, but Impossible (2.0) was a much better taste and consistency. It was indistinguishable from real meat, though it was not the best burger I had. It was like a well done hamburger and I like them a little rawer. I've had Beyond twice at two locations and both times I was rather underwhelmed.
My SO makes incredible turkey burgers. May be worth exploring, but I wouldn’t recommend eating it rawer.
My SO uses ground turkey (or sometimes pork) for most meals you'd generally use ground beef for (spaghetti, meatloaf, tacos, etc.) and it's a good substitute. Not as much for burgers, but maybe I just haven't had the right recipe.
Out of curiosity, why is it believed that ground turkey or pork is a superior alternative to beef? If prepared similarly (ground), the concentration of saturated fat and cholesterol is basically equal.
That's a good question. I have issues with my liver and my doctor has specifically prescribed limiting red meat, saying turkey is a good alternative. I don't know the why.
In general, turkey is leaner than beef, but that isn't the case if it is a similar cut and prepared similarly (as in, ground). You'd be marginally better eating a turkey leg than a steak, but eating ground turkey over ground beef: no.

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 7765
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by JoMoney » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 am

Ground Turkey is often cheaper than beef ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

oldfatguy
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by oldfatguy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 am

JoMoney wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 am
No, and I don't understand why someone who doesn't want to eat meat would want to eat something that simulates eating meat.
Because some people enjoy the taste of meat, but choose not to eat it for a variety of reasons.

stoptothink
Posts: 6498
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by stoptothink » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:56 am

JoMoney wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:37 am
Ground Turkey is often cheaper than beef ;)
Which is primarily why I buy it. 5lbs of 80/20 ground turkey is <$8 in my neck of the woods.

User avatar
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Posts: 39429
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by nisiprius » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 am

I haven't tried Beyond Meat.

My wife and I just tried a Burger King "Impossible Whopper" last weekend. We both were disappointed and unimpressed. It was just another veggie burger. Nothing special.

Obviously leghemoglobin is a big deal technologically, and I think that's the excuse for overhyping something that's at best a small incremental flavor improvement--if that.

Even before we unwrapped it, it smelled "off" (not as in spoiled, but as in "not like a hamburger"). The texture was wrong (mushy, like a Bubba Burger Original Veggie--but those are truly horrible). The flavor had the typical grain-like, mealy, taste of "fillers. That taste that can actually be good in meatloaf, but is out of place in a hamburger. Maybe it's impressive that you can say that a meatless veggie burger tastes "like a hamburger made with fillers," but "impressive" is not actually "good."

Given that people literally vary in their ability to taste different chemicals, it's very possible that some people might think they tasted fine. But, even with a sample size of two, "100% of us disliked them" is not promising.

I predict Burger King will carry them for about as long as McDonald's carried the McLean Deluxe years ago.

Based on the fact that almost every review says that the Impossible Burger is better than Beyond Meat, I have no plans to try Beyond Meat any time soon.

The nutritional profile of these veggie burgers is essentially the same as that of a beef hamburger, and given that both of them are highly industrial concoctions--I don't know of Michael Pollan has judged them, but by his criteria they are clearly "food-like substances," not "food." His dictum is "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." It checks the "mostly plants" box, but not the "food" box, and--given the nutritional profile, on a bun as part of a traditional hamburger presentation, not the "not too much" box.

It might be useful for the special situation of a person who is completely committed to vegetarianism. For example, I can certainly imagine a sociable vegetarian going out for fast food with friends and saying "let's go to Burger King instead of McDonald's."
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22280
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:08 am

oldfatguy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 am
JoMoney wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:28 am
No, and I don't understand why someone who doesn't want to eat meat would want to eat something that simulates eating meat.
Because some people enjoy the taste of meat, but choose not to eat it for a variety of reasons.
Yes.. For what I believe are credible health reasons, I lean away from eating meat - and animal products. Therefore, I occasionally choose to things like "beyond meat".

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 22280
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 am

nisiprius wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:07 am
I haven't tried Beyond Meat.
My wife and I just tried a Burger King "Impossible Whopper" last weekend. We both were disappointed and unimpressed. It was just another veggie burger. Nothing special.
Obviously leghemoglobin is a big deal technologically, and I think that's just an excuse for overhyping something that's at best a small incremental flavor improvement--if that.
Even before we unwrapped it, it smelled "off" (not as in spoiled, but as in "not like a hamburger"). The texture was wrong (mushy, like a Bubba Burger Original Veggie--but those are truly horrible). The flavor had the typical grain-like, mealy, taste of "fillers. That taste that can actually be good in meatloaf, but is out of place in a hamburger. Maybe it's impressive that you can say that a meatless veggie burger tastes "like a hamburger made with fillers," but "impressive" is not actually "good."
I predict Burger King will carry it for about as long as McDonald's carried the McLean Deluxe years ago.
Based on the fact that almost every review says that the Impossible Burger is better than Beyond Meat, I have no plans to try Beyond Meat any time soon.
The nutritional profile of these veggie burgers is essentially the same as that of a beef hamburger, and given that both of them are highly industrial concoctions--I don't know of Michael Pollan has judged them, but by his criteria they are clearly "food-like substances," not "food." His dictum is "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." It checks the "mostly plants" box, but not the "food" box, and--given the nutritional profile, on a bun as part of a traditional hamburger presentation, not the "not too much" box.
It might be useful for the special situation of a person who is completely committed to vegetarianism. For example, I can certainly imagine a sociable vegetarian going out for fast food with friends and saying "let's go to Burger King instead of McDonald's."
Most, if not all,l of these "meatless burgers" tend to have things in them that are not all that healthful - such as high salt/sodium and fat. I have not tried any of the fast food chain ones - yet. I plan to, however.

j0nnyg1984
Posts: 630
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 am

Unless offered an obscene amount of money, I would never consume one of these things.

minesweep
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by minesweep » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:14 am

I've never tried the Beyond Meat burger so I can't respond to the OP's question. However, I did find this comparison that some readers may find to be of interest:
Beyond Burger nutrition is pretty close to a beef burger.

Per four-ounce uncooked Beyond Burger patty, you’ll get:
• Calories: 270
• Fat: 20 g (5 g sat fat)
• Sodium: 380 mg
• Carbohydrates: 5 grams
• Fiber: 3 grams
• Sugars: 0 grams
• Protein: 20 grams

As for other highlights, the Beyond Burger packs in 30 percent of your daily iron quota and an impressive amount of phosphorus (which is found in your bones and teeth), along with some vitamin C.

Compare that to four ounces of raw beef (80 percent lean):
• Calories: 287
• Fat: 23 g (9 g sat fat)
• Sodium: 75 mg
• Carbohydrates: 0 g
• Fiber: 0 g
• Sugars: 0 g
• Protein: 19 g

The downer: Fat and calorie-wise, the Beyond Burger is about on-par with a beef burger, says Dallas-based nutritionist Amy Goodson, RD, CSSD. And then there’s the fact that while it may have a good amount of protein (20 grams), it doesn’t exactly have vegetables (pea protein isolate def doesn’t count). So despite being a "veggie burger," it's not getting you any closer to your five to seven servings of vegetables a day, she says.

So if you’re turning to the Beyond Burger to save on fat or cals, you’ll be disappointed, Goodson says. Plus, you can make or break the health of any burger by the friends you pair it with, she says: Choose avocado and mustard for toppings and slap it on a whole-grain bun.
What is the Beyond Burger, exactly?

Exclusive: Inside Beyond Meat’s innovative future food lab

User avatar
JoeRetire
Posts: 3847
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Beyond Meat Burger? Do you like?

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 am

Looking forward to trying an Impossible Burger when it arrives at my local Burger King.

I like to try new things and have no predisposed distaste for a non-meat burger. It should be interesting!
Don't be a lemming.

Post Reply