Travel German alpine and Swiss Alp. Please review

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

Travel German alpine and Swiss Alp. Please review

Post by retire14 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:21 am

I have posted this on bimmerfest, but since there are so many well traveled folks here, I thought I might also get good feedback here.
We will be doing a European Delivery for a BMW. We will pick up the car in Munich and drop it off in Zurich. Please review my initerary. We are most interested in sight seeing and a few hikes whenever we can fit them in. Definitely several hikes around the Swiss Alp region.I have done quite a bit of research and have decided to visit Salzburg, Glosslockner, part of German Alpine then the Swiss Alp. However, I have no idea as to where we should stop along the way. I relied on Google map to pick overnight points based on driving distance. I will also post this on the Switzerland and Germany forums.

Could you please review and tell me if this is too much. And if the overnight places are reasonable? We have not booked, but will rely on booking.com or Airbnb to find places.

Initerary:

Day 1 (9/2) Arrive Munich from KEF

Day 2,3 (9/3-4) Munich

Day 4 (9/5)-Pick up car at Welt in the AM, drive to Salzburg. Overnight in Salzburg

Day 5 (9/6) Salzburg , Overnight in Salzburg

Day 6 (9/7) Berchgaden/Eagle Nest/Konigsee. Overnight in Werfen Austria

Day 7 (9/8) Drive Glosslocner .Overnight Zell Am See

Day 8 (9/9) Bad Tolz/Oberammergau Overnight Oberammergau

Day 9 (9/10) Fussen/Lindau Overnight Lindau

To Swiss Alp

Day 10 (9/11) Lindau to Vals (overnight Vals)

Day 11, 12, 13 (9/12, 9/13, 9/14) Andermatt/Meringen/Lauterbrunne (overnight 3nights Lauterbrunne)

Day 14 and 15 (9/15, 9/16) Zermatt (overnight 2 nights Zermatt—park car in Tasch)

Day 16 (9/17) Zermatt then Thun (1/2 way to Zurich) Overnight Thun

Day 17 (9/18) Drive to Zurich Airport, drop off car for 14:00 flight

02nz

Re: Travel German alpine and Swiss Alp. Please review

Post by 02nz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:41 am

Unclear where this "Welt" is where you're picking up the car, but one-way international rentals tend to be a lot more expensive. It looks like you'd save about 1/2 the cost of the rental car if you picked up and dropped off in Germany (can be one way, but just inside German border). One-way within Switzerland costs more but still cheaper than one-way from Germany to Switzerland.

Note also you need to buy the Vignette (available at gas stations) to use the Autobahns in Austria. Also, apparently for Austria you need the IDP (I've rented cars there before without it, but supposedly it's a requirement).

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:48 am

Just be aware that the mountain passes will be shared with buses, bicycles, motorcycles, and other cars. And maybe pedestrians too. There will be little opportunity for aggressive driving.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am

retire14 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:21 am
Could you please review and tell me if this is too much. And if the overnight places are reasonable? We have not booked, but will rely on booking.com or Airbnb to find places.
Initerary:
I have no idea whether this is a viable itinerary, but it sounds like an absolutely incredible trip to me.
I wish you the best. Have fun and let us know how the trip goes.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:24 pm

Sounds fun. But it looks like you're changing hotels nearly every day. I would pick a few base areas and explore from there, doing day or short trips. Among those I would keep Lauterbrunnen as one of your bases. I would also skip Thun. It's a nice little town, but you can get to it from Lauterbrunnen via train (or even better, a boat ride from Interlaken just down the mountain). I might head to Lucerne on a day trip instead, or just enjoy my time in the mountains, hiking around Murren, Wengen, and Kleine Sheidegg. It also seems like you're doing some big zig-zagging from Zermatt to Thun to Zurich. Might consider spending some time around Bern and/or Friburg.

While I'm sure you'll be enjoying the new car, I would leave it behind for at least some trips in Switzerland as the trains are just so convenient. Also, parking can be an issue in some places. I know that you can actually reserve a space in Lauterbrunnen online, although I think you'll be between tourist seasons so it will probably (?) be ok. You also need a vignette in Switzerland which I believe you can purchase at gas stations near the border.

One more thing, drink Swiss wine because it's good and nearly impossible to get in the States (if that's where you're coming from anyway).

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:40 pm

You're buying the car & dropping it off in Zurich to be shipped home, right? You're not renting the car, right?

I did part of a similar trip (some of the same overnight stays) in June; 2-3 nights in each location. Landed in Munich, then Salzburg, St Gilgen, Kaprun (next to Zell am See; I wished I stayed in Zell am See), Innsbruck, Fussen, Garmisch & back to Munich.

If you're staying in Werfen, you may want to tour the Burg Hohenwerfen located in Werfen. It's the castle that was used for the movie "Where Eagles Dare" with Clint Eastwood. You take a funicular to get up to the castle. Great view. Check it out on "the Google".

I thought Fussen was a nice overnight stay. I did not go to Oberammergau.

I few years ago we stayed in Meesrburg (up the lake from Lindau) & took the boat to visit Lindau (the island part). We did not go to the mainland part of Lindau. Meesrburg could be an alternative to Lindau.

bill

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:00 pm

billfromct wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:40 pm
You're buying the car & dropping it off in Zurich to be shipped home, right? You're not renting the car, right?
Aha, this makes more sense. "Welt" is World in German, so BMW Welt = BMW World, where they do European delivery. I was confused as Welt is not a place name anywhere near where OP is traveling.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:07 pm

Consider Neuschwanstein (not too far south of Munich).

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:46 pm

psteinx wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:07 pm
He already mentioned Fussen...(although I'd have a hard time seeing getting from Oberammagau to Fussen all the way to Lindau based on the back roads you need to take to get to/from Fussen from those locations, at least with spending any time there (remember that they only do groups at the castle, with dedicated ticketed times))

(be aware that some of the roads are not really that fast -- winding or through smaller towns - when going between areas like Munich and Fussen, etc and that parking is sometimes difficult ( especially in downtown cities or areas with higher tourism). There's a few large parking areas for Neuchwanstein in Fussen. I was able to find a place on Hauptstrasse, near downtown Strasburg, that had parking (it's "tight") and could walk to the old city and funicular; otherwise, if you're out a ways and don't have local hotel with parking, it's gonna be difficult to find a spot.

ETA: AFA Zurich... didn't find it all that interesting, but did find that there could be real traffic on the "1" and "51" going to the airport (at least when we were there, YMMV)

OP
all the way to Zermatt? that's a lot of driving!
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:03 pm

retire14 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:21 am
I have posted this on bimmerfest, but since there are so many well traveled folks here, I thought I might also get good feedback here.
We will be doing a European Delivery for a BMW. We will pick up the car in Munich and drop it off in Zurich. Please review my initerary. We are most interested in sight seeing and a few hikes whenever we can fit them in. Definitely several hikes around the Swiss Alp region.I have done quite a bit of research and have decided to visit Salzburg, Glosslockner, part of German Alpine then the Swiss Alp. However, I have no idea as to where we should stop along the way. I relied on Google map to pick overnight points based on driving distance. I will also post this on the Switzerland and Germany forums.

Initerary:

Day 2,3 (9/3-4) Munich

Day 4 (9/5)-Pick up car at Welt in the AM, drive to Salzburg. Overnight in Salzburg

Day 5 (9/6) Salzburg , Overnight in Salzburg

Day 6 (9/7) Berchgaden/Eagle Nest/Konigsee. Overnight in Werfen Austria

Day 7 (9/8) Drive Glosslocner .Overnight Zell Am See

Day 8 (9/9) Bad Tolz/Oberammergau Overnight Oberammergau

To Swiss Alp

Day 11, 12, 13 (9/12, 9/13, 9/14) Andermatt/Meringen/Lauterbrunne (overnight 3nights Lauterbrunne)

Day 14 and 15 (9/15, 9/16) Zermatt (overnight 2 nights Zermatt—park car in Tasch)

Day 16 (9/17) Zermatt then Thun (1/2 way to Zurich) Overnight Thun

If only a few days i dont know about zermatt. We were considering it but reviews say its not worth it for a short trip. If you can, interlaken would be better w all the excursions you can take.

Who knows, maybe our paths will cross. We are there 13-26th

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:08 pm

psteinx wrote:
Have traveled all over Germany, and I can't think of a less interesting or less worthwhile "attraction."

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:00 pm

I’d consider simplifying this to just Salzburg, the Otztal Valley and Lauterbrunnen. The Otztal is a bit west of Innsbruck towards Zurich. Look into the Aqua Dome, a thermal spa resort there. Lots of great hiking in the area and plentiful bed and breakfasts.

gd

Post by gd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 am

02nz wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:08 pm
psteinx wrote:
Have traveled all over Germany, and I can't think of a less interesting or less worthwhile "attraction."
I can- Oberammergau.

Doesn't line up exactly, but consider the Bavarian Viehscheid events, a.k.a. Almabtrieb. Kruen and Mittenwald might be an option.
https://rove.me/to/bavaria/viehscheid
https://www.almabtriebe.de/almabtrieb-termine-2019/

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:12 am

02nz wrote:
psteinx wrote:
Well, we all have different ideas. I have been there. I am happy to have seen it but wouldn't rate it as a must-see. Better to see the real thing (which is not really a real thing as it was built as a fantasy) than to see the fake real thing at Disneyland.

For me the highlights of visiting the Alps are the hiking and climbing. Other sights fill in the time between.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:31 am

My specific thought on Neuschwanstein:

It was a pretty drive from Munich to get there, albeit a bit harrowing - varying speed limits and speed of vehicles on the road.

The little town just below the castle(s) is pretty.

Walk up the hill to the castle was nice for 4 of the 5 of us. My wife did not enjoy the uphill walk at all - such is life.

Castle is pretty and memorable. You've probably seen the imagery many times - both the real thing, and the fantasized Disney version of it. We didn't actually tour the inside.

Then further up the hill to the Elizabeth bridge. THAT was quite cool IMO - perhaps the highlight of the experience.

Back down for a nice lunch in the town and a little hanging out by a very pretty lake there with interesting, tame-ish swans.

Then about a mile down the road to the alpine luge thing (a metal twisting track you ride down in a luge-cart). Surprisingly fun. A big hit with our kids, and enjoyable for this middle-aged guy, too.

I wanted to take a tram thing up to the top of the nearby mountain for the view, etc., but it was late in the day - these things close somewhat early, so we missed that.

Highlight of our trip to Europe? No. But an interesting day trip, and I would recommend it for someone in the area.

Oh - and what was the highlight of our trip (Paris-Munich, with intervening/nearby points and stops)? Surprisingly, it was Strasbourg, France, which was more or less a convenience stop for us, but turned out to be a charming, very pretty place.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:57 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:12 am
02nz wrote:
psteinx wrote:
Well, we all have different ideas. I have been there. I am happy to have seen it but wouldn't rate it as a must-see. Better to see the real thing (which is not really a real thing as it was built as a fantasy) than to see the fake real thing at Disneyland.

For me the highlights of visiting the Alps are the hiking and climbing. Other sights fill in the time between.
I should've been a bit more specific. One of the joys of traveling in Germany is almost never encountering mass tourism, and Neuschwanstein is one of the very few places in the country that does mass tourism. You're right that it's a fantasy, and I suppose it's fine if you want to see the product of one (rather deranged) man's imagination. The thing is that there are real medieval castles all over Germany that are far more interesting to visit, and these never involve huge lines.

Instead of the 2-hour drive to Neuschwanstein, one could drive in about the same amount of time to Regensburg, one of the most beautiful cities in Germany, with a fantastic setting on the Danube. From nearby Kehlheim, you can take the incredibly scenic boat ride in the Danube Gorge to Weltenburg Abbey, with its own (very old) brewery.

jrhampt

Post by jrhampt » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:10 pm

I've been to nearly all these places and just returned from a trip to Germany/Austria earlier this month. Here are my thoughts:

niterary:

Day 2,3 (9/3-4) Munich - While in Munich, you may want to see Nymphenburg or one or two of Ludwig's castles as day trips in Bavaria, as suggested by others. Munich itself I don't think you need more than a day to see.

Day 5 (9/6) Salzburg , Overnight in Salzburg - I wasn't overly impressed by Salzburg, not sure you need two nights there unless you're planning to use it as a base for Eagle's Nest.

Day 6 (9/7) Berchgaden/Eagle Nest/Konigsee. Overnight in Werfen Austria - Very much enjoy Eagle's Nest/Konigsee. Have been there twice. If you have time to do some hikes, I recommend it. We like to walk up to Eagle's nest instead of taking the shuttle. Takes about 2 hours. Also several other peaks/trails accessible from the top at Eagle's Nest. On Konigsee you can hike around the lake to a waterfall or take a ferry to St Bart's, which is very pretty. Not much to do there but swim and hang out in the Biergarten, which is not a bad way to spend a couple of hours. If you have time, you absolutely should see the castle in Werfen, as recommended by another poster - you can actually just walk uphill to the castle on a well marked trail - you don't have to take the funicular. The castle tour is really good and also in English, plus they have a falconry museum and show. Also in Werfen we really enjoyed the ice cave tour. Dress warmly for that, though, as you're surrounded by ice for over an hour. Both very good tours but you need at least a full afternoon to do both. I'd allot one full day for Eagle's Nest/Konigsee and one for Werfen.

Day 7 (9/8) Drive Glosslocner .Overnight Zell Am See Grossglockner was a great drive/park and we did a couple of hikes with trailheads at the Franz Josef hut - down to the glacier and the panoramic trail to a view of a waterfall. Both were great and easy-moderate hikes - about 3 hours total. Allow plenty of time on the drive for stopping and in particular the Eidelweissspitze lookout point.

Day 8 (9/9) Bad Tolz/Oberammergau Overnight Oberammergau Can't comment on days 8 and 9 as I haven't been to these locations but if this is in the Lakes region, as I think it is, you should probably see Hallstatt and the Gosau area - there is a lot of nice hiking around the Gosaussees and it's very pretty.

To Swiss Alp

Day 11, 12, 13 (9/12, 9/13, 9/14) Andermatt/Meringen/Lauterbrunne (overnight 3nights Lauterbrunne) We loved Lauterbrunnen so much the first time that we went to Switzerland that we went back a second time and stayed the full vacation (9-10 days) there. Lots and lots of hiking to do there - Wengen, Murren, Gimmelwald. Very beautiful area. See the Eiger while you're there too. I'd actually make a beeline for Lauterbrunnen and spend a little extra time here if you can.

Day 14 and 15 (9/15, 9/16) Zermatt (overnight 2 nights Zermatt—park car in Tasch) If you like mountains, the Matterhorn is worth seeing. Do some hiking around on the trails there or just have lunch in an outdoor cafe with a great view of the mountain.

Day 16 (9/17) Zermatt then Thun (1/2 way to Zurich) Overnight Thun - I enjoyed the Thunersee, but as another poster noted, I think you can easily do this when you're staying in Lauterbrunnen. You can take a boat around the lake and stop off at various sites/attractions. Have lunch at a couple of castles, etc. I also really liked having a day to spend in Zurich. Nice old town with lots to walk around and gawk at. Other notable sites in Switzerland - Also enjoyed Bern, with tour of Einstein's house, and Lucerne, with the nearby lake where William Tell's chapel is - nice hike around that. And the Apenzeller region with the really excellent cheese museum/fromagerie/restaurant. On other trips we've also done Lake Geneva (and Chateau de Chillon), Gruyere (castle and fromagerie), Lausanne, etc. Eat loads of cheese, chocolate, and enjoy all the Swiss wines.

Topic Author
retire14

Post by retire14 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:49 pm

WOW. Thanks so much for your insights. Really appreciate your taking the time to help.

Topic Author
retire14

Post by retire14 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:26 pm

JRhampt: Thank you...what route did you take to go from Glosslockner to Lauterbrunnen?

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:36 pm

I'm sure you know this, but the road over the Grossglockner (not Glosslockner) is a toll road and the toll isn't cheap.

Not far from the Grossglockner Pass are the Dolomites. They are some very pretty mountains.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:20 pm

jrhampt wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:10 pm
I've been to nearly all these places and just returned from a trip to Germany/Austria earlier this month. Here are my thoughts:

niterary:

Day 2,3 (9/3-4) Munich - While in Munich, you may want to see Nymphenburg or one or two of Ludwig's castles as day trips in Bavaria, as suggested by others. Munich itself I don't think you need more than a day to see.

Day 5 (9/6) Salzburg , Overnight in Salzburg - I wasn't overly impressed by Salzburg, not sure you need two nights there unless you're planning to use it as a base for Eagle's Nest.

Day 6 (9/7) Berchgaden/Eagle Nest/Konigsee. Overnight in Werfen Austria - Very much enjoy Eagle's Nest/Konigsee. Have been there twice. If you have time to do some hikes, I recommend it. We like to walk up to Eagle's nest instead of taking the shuttle. Takes about 2 hours. Also several other peaks/trails accessible from the top at Eagle's Nest. On Konigsee you can hike around the lake to a waterfall or take a ferry to St Bart's, which is very pretty. Not much to do there but swim and hang out in the Biergarten, which is not a bad way to spend a couple of hours. If you have time, you absolutely should see the castle in Werfen, as recommended by another poster - you can actually just walk uphill to the castle on a well marked trail - you don't have to take the funicular. The castle tour is really good and also in English, plus they have a falconry museum and show. Also in Werfen we really enjoyed the ice cave tour. Dress warmly for that, though, as you're surrounded by ice for over an hour. Both very good tours but you need at least a full afternoon to do both. I'd allot one full day for Eagle's Nest/Konigsee and one for Werfen.

Day 7 (9/8) Drive Glosslocner .Overnight Zell Am See Grossglockner was a great drive/park and we did a couple of hikes with trailheads at the Franz Josef hut - down to the glacier and the panoramic trail to a view of a waterfall. Both were great and easy-moderate hikes - about 3 hours total. Allow plenty of time on the drive for stopping and in particular the Eidelweissspitze lookout point.

Day 8 (9/9) Bad Tolz/Oberammergau Overnight Oberammergau Can't comment on days 8 and 9 as I haven't been to these locations but if this is in the Lakes region, as I think it is, you should probably see Hallstatt and the Gosau area - there is a lot of nice hiking around the Gosaussees and it's very pretty.

To Swiss Alp

Day 11, 12, 13 (9/12, 9/13, 9/14) Andermatt/Meringen/Lauterbrunne (overnight 3nights Lauterbrunne) We loved Lauterbrunnen so much the first time that we went to Switzerland that we went back a second time and stayed the full vacation (9-10 days) there. Lots and lots of hiking to do there - Wengen, Murren, Gimmelwald. Very beautiful area. See the Eiger while you're there too. I'd actually make a beeline for Lauterbrunnen and spend a little extra time here if you can.

Day 14 and 15 (9/15, 9/16) Zermatt (overnight 2 nights Zermatt—park car in Tasch) If you like mountains, the Matterhorn is worth seeing. Do some hiking around on the trails there or just have lunch in an outdoor cafe with a great view of the mountain.

Day 16 (9/17) Zermatt then Thun (1/2 way to Zurich) Overnight Thun - I enjoyed the Thunersee, but as another poster noted, I think you can easily do this when you're staying in Lauterbrunnen. You can take a boat around the lake and stop off at various sites/attractions. Have lunch at a couple of castles, etc. I also really liked having a day to spend in Zurich. Nice old town with lots to walk around and gawk at. Other notable sites in Switzerland - Also enjoyed Bern, with tour of Einstein's house, and Lucerne, with the nearby lake where William Tell's chapel is - nice hike around that. And the Apenzeller region with the really excellent cheese museum/fromagerie/restaurant. On other trips we've also done Lake Geneva (and Chateau de Chillon), Gruyere (castle and fromagerie), Lausanne, etc. Eat loads of cheese, chocolate, and enjoy all the Swiss wines.

The problem with Hallstatt and Gosau, the next valley over - - which I enjoyed as it's the picturesque view of Alps that one imagines, is both that it's quite a ways in the "wrong" direction with somewhat slow roads (we came upon a local fair when we went through, so traffic was even slower) and that accommodations are difficult to get in Hallstatt and near impossible in Gosau (which has very few).
As for Salzburg, I thought that there was quite a lot to do, easily a days worth, and that it served as a good location for a trip to Eagles Nest. (we didn't go to GrossGlockner....too far out of our way at the time)

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:16 pm

I love Salzburg and could easily spend several days or a week there. Rent a bike - it's an easy city to bike in. I remember enjoying a brewery or winery in a very old building in the basement. I think it was run by monks. I googled but can't find it. I also enjoyed the luge ride near Salzburg - it wasn't on a track, but rather a metal half tube that looked like a park slide. Just don't take the turns too fast - I bit it and got pretty bruised up with burns on my face, arms and legs from the hot metal tube.

I was recently in Switzerland and really enjoyed Lucerne. Easy access to Zurich Airport so you could spend your last night there. It is beautiful and I enjoyed the trip up Mt Pilatus, coming down on the steep cogwheel train.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:30 pm

I really enjoyed the Grossglockner High Alpine Road. I was there just after they opened it in the spring, lots of snow. The most unexpected feature was the almost total silence, just an occasional drop of melted snow hitting the road. The experience might be totally different in the more touristy times of the year.