Personal Cloud Storage NAS - I'm Interestd!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ddurrett896

Personal Cloud Storage NAS - I'm Interestd!

Post by ddurrett896 »

Friend of mine purchased a WD 4TB My Cloud Home Personal Cloud Storage (link below) to remotely view files on home computer. I got to thinking, this might solve my photo situation.

https://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Home-Perso ... way&sr=8-7

Situation: We have a TON of kids and dog photos saved. Started using the iPhone shared albums for my wife and I to add photos. We hit the limit and I didn't want to pay the reoccurring charge.

I moved all of the albums to Google Photos. Works like the iPhone shared album, just in a different Google App. Works perfect! I know there is a 15gig limit that I will approach in the future.

My thought is that with the personal storage above, I could setup all folders on that device, then use their app to access the pictures. My friend who uses the above says that if the device is stolen or lost in a fire, everything is backed up. Is this correct? Seems off that the company would backup potentially 4T for free.

I think the best way would be use my iMac as the home with everything saved, then backup that to external harddrive that sits in a safe. But I would need some remote option to see the desktop and my pictures.

At the end of the day, I want to have all of my pictures available to view from my iPhone and backed up online.Thanks!
Last edited by ddurrett896 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dottie57

Re: Personal Cloud Storage NAS - I'm Interestd!

Post by Dottie57 »

I’ve thought of this option too. However I am not sure I can handle security.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I use Carbonite which is a backup service but allows me to access my backed up files from anywhere with internet access. It doesn't have a limit on the number of files stored. The big advantage is that if fire, tornado or theft causes me to lose my computer or attached hard drives, I still can easily retrieve all my files. The link you showed doesn't sound like you would be able to do that if the attached "cloud" hard drive was destroyed or stolen.
tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge »

For that device, it's just local storage with a web server that allows you to access it over the web. If your phone was destroyed, the files would be on the storage. If the storage is destroyed, your files are still on your phone. If both are gone, so are your files. It is not magically loading those to a cloud for safe keeping. Your network router probably can do this already if you plug in a usb drive but it's probably also not as easy as the WD app.

For photos, you could just bump up the storage for Google photos. $20/yr for 100GB is cheap for that and you already use it. Plus, you don't have to deal with all the setup and making sure that drive doesn't suddenly crash.

https://one.google.com/storage?hl=en#upgrade
bampf

Post by bampf »

tedgeorge wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:26 am For that device, it's just local storage with a web server that allows you to access it over the web. If your phone was destroyed, the files would be on the storage. If the storage is destroyed, your files are still on your phone. If both are gone, so are your files. It is not magically loading those to a cloud for safe keeping. Your network router probably can do this already if you plug in a usb drive but it's probably also not as easy as the WD app.

For photos, you could just bump up the storage for Google photos. $20/yr for 100GB is cheap for that and you already use it. Plus, you don't have to deal with all the setup and making sure that drive doesn't suddenly crash.

https://one.google.com/storage?hl=en#upgrade
+1 for this. More importantly, that NAS device will fail in about 4 years. I am in storage, run it, love it and my primary repository is google drive. Why mess around when you have something that works? I pay about $120 a year at google and its worth it.
Topic Author
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Is there a way I can continue to use my Mac as my main storage and remote in? I prefer this because I can then backup my Mac to an external hard drive that is protected in a safe.
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

If you have Amazon Prime, you get unlimited photo storage for free.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

ddurrett896 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 am
My thought is that with the personal storage above, I could setup all folders on that device, then use their app to access the pictures. My friend who uses the above says that if the device is stolen or lost in a fire, everything is backed up. Is this correct? Seems off that the company would backup potentially 4T for free.
It depends on the product, but yes it is possible to do something like this.

I have a Synology NAS, which is one of the more popular brands out there. Basically, it's a hard drive that is connected to our network. You can access it from any computer as well as an app on iPhone and Android. For computers on my home network, it shows up as a network drive, so you can just access it like any other hard drive. If I am away from home, I can access it through a web browser, or the iPhone/Android apps. So yes, you could put photos on there and access them from anywhere from your iPhone app.

In terms of backup:

1. it's a RAID NAS, meaning that there are 2 hard drives in it. Any data copied onto the drive is automatically duplicated on the other drive. If a hard drive fails, then I still have the other drive with data. Note, RAID is not technically a "backup" method, but mainly protection against hard drive failure.

2. On the NAS drive, there is a USB port. You can plug in a portable hard drive and copy all the data onto it, it's pretty simple to do, just press a button, so I back it up periodically

3. The NAS drive has it's own apps that can do things. The way I back up my photos (other than the portable HD) is there is a NAS app that Synology makes that automatically backs up my photos to Amazon Photo, but there are other options as well, and I believe there are paid services that you could choose.

Overall, I'm very happy with the NAS set up. It keeps all my files in 1 place so I don't have to remember which computer has which files. If I need to reformat my computer or something, I know that it doesn't have anything important on it. I can access it from anywhere, and backup is relatively simple.
Topic Author
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

decapod10 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:28 pm I have a Synology NAS, which is one of the more popular brands out there.
That sounds like exactly what I need. Love that is copied to the second drive. I checked Amazon and there are a few different ones. Can you send your model? Thanks!
dcdowden

Post by dcdowden »

I believe Google Photos gives you unlimited storage if you keep picture resolution at 16 Megapixels or less and video resolution at 1080p or less.
I find it very convenient to share photos and videos with others as well. It is great to be able to view the photos/videos on various devices as well - smart phones, tablets, PC's. And I recently found a Google Photos viewing application for our Roku streaming stick that lets us view anything on the big screen TV as well. I had thought about NAS as well, but realized that I would still need to back that up somehow as well. So then I looked at dual drive RAID arrangements, but that still does not give you offsite backup protection.

For what is worth, I don't transfer all my photos from my PC to Google Photos. I generally go through my photos as I take them and select the best to edit and put into albums that I upload to Google Photos. I also use iDrive to backup my entire PC to the cloud as well.
Last edited by dcdowden on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

ddurrett896 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:12 pm
decapod10 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:28 pm I have a Synology NAS, which is one of the more popular brands out there.
That sounds like exactly what I need. Love that is copied to the second drive. I checked Amazon and there are a few different ones. Can you send your model? Thanks!
I have this one, but it's been discontinued. I'd have to look and see what they replaced it with.

Synology NAS Disk Station (DS216+) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUY8CLE/

Note that the NAS doesn't usually come with the hard drives, you have to buy them separately. I bought the Western Digital "Red" series hard drive which are designed for use in NAS, since they are basically on for years at a time . I think I bought them on NewEgg.
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

What is NAS?
a/66, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

NAS = Network Attached Storage
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

ddurrett896 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 am Situation: We have a TON of kids and dog photos saved. Started using the iPhone shared albums for my wife and I to add photos. We hit the limit and I didn't want to pay the reoccurring charge.

I moved all of the albums to Google Photos. Works like the iPhone shared album, just in a different Google App. Works perfect! I know there is a 15gig limit that I will approach in the future.

<edit>

At the end of the day, I want to have all of my pictures available to view from my iPhone and backed up online.Thanks!
Less than 15 gig of photos really isn't a lot of photos at all. And, there is no 15 gig limit for Google Photos - right on the website it says "Back up unlimited photos and videos for free, up to 16MP and 1080p HD. Access them from any phone, tablet, or computer on photos.google.com – your photos will be safe, secure, and always with you."

Don't even bother with the NAS, it brings with it a whole new set of potential problems to deal with (hard drives die, need to back it up, need to put it somewhere, etc). Just keep using Google Photos. You don't need to spend any more money on anything, and it achieves your goal of "have all of my pictures available to view from my iPhone and backed up online". Problem solved.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

RetiredAL wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:13 pm NAS = Network Attached Storage
So the drives are not attached directly to your computer but are set up on the local network. I assume it is fairly easy to setup. But have never tried to do so. I don’t have the knowledge f security to set up security to stop intruders from accessing a web server on the nas.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

ddurrett896 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:12 pm
+1 for Synology.

In addition to storing documents and photos, I use mine to run the HDHomeRun DVR service. This lets me record and playback OTA TV shows, which is part of my cord-cutting solution.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Wirecutter recommends a Synology DiskStation.

"The Best NAS for Most Home Users"
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... d-storage/
KineticSync

Post by KineticSync »

+1 on the Synology. For higher capacity some of the units support a Raid 5 (3+1) configuration. Mine's been running about 6 years (I rotate the drives out at 4 year intervals). We keep all of our music (flac files), photos and ripped DVDs out there. Sonos and VLC can play music and ISO DVD rips directly from the NAS. Backup strategy is hybrid: high volume low volatility stuff (movies) goes onto external drives and offsite, the other stuff and all of the other working files from the desktops and laptops goes to IDrive (commercial cloud backup--required for some of my wife's business files). Synology has a great UI and setup/admin is painless. Liked it so much we got another 2-drive unit for our travel trailer and all of our movies (ripped as ISOs) travel with us.