3 Days in Seattle

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bronko

3 Days in Seattle

Post by Bronko »

The lady and I will be taking in Seattle over a long weekend in August. Staying downtown and using Uber or public transportation. I'd appreciate any insight on must see places. So far we will do Pikes market and a ferry to Bainbridge. If you have any great restaurant, cocktail spot, or coffee shop recommendations they would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
barnaclebob

Re: 3 Days in Seattle

Post by barnaclebob »

Look at Eater.com for food recommendations. For traditional "Seattle Seafood" I prefer Rays boathouse over Salty's. Be sure to book about no more than an hour before sunset at Rays to hit it right.

Renting kayaks at agua verde can be fun.

If you go to the space needle also stop at the 5 point to get a drink or some food. They have a great happy hour too.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

if you like wine, Purple is good and the food we had there was very good.

I'd also suggest stopping into the Klondike Museum if you are into history.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

The Pink Door (Italian) in Pike Market place is pretty good. Pike Place Chowder is very decent.

Seattle City Pass is a good deal if you want to do Space Needle, Aquarium, Harbor tour, Woodland Zoo, and Chihuly Garden and Glass. Washington Park Arboretum is a nice hike (and free). Make sure to visit Gas Works Park for a relaxing picnic as well.
BoogieShoe

Post by BoogieShoe »

Just got back 2 weeks ago. I would also check out Kerry Park in Queen Ann neighborhood-the view over the city is incredible. It sounds super cheesy but I swear you will love it--Wings over Washington. It's a "4-D" movie underneath the ferris wheel on the landing--really fun experience--about 15 minutes. Pink door is amazing but hard to get a reservation less than 2-3 weeks out. Have fun
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

BoogieShoe wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:56 pm Just got back 2 weeks ago. I would also check out Kerry Park in Queen Ann neighborhood-the view over the city is incredible. It sounds super cheesy but I swear you will love it--Wings over Washington. It's a "4-D" movie underneath the ferris wheel on the landing--really fun experience--about 15 minutes. Pink door is amazing but hard to get a reservation less than 2-3 weeks out. Have fun
I like Kerry Park a lot.

Pink door opens at 11AM, so if you arrive 5-10 min before 11, you can get sit down right away.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Belltown area has a bunch of nice restaurants and is walkable from downtown.

You can rent bikes at the ferry terminal on Bainbridge and explore a bit. There are some decent places to eat in Lynwood Center and if you're OK with a hill or two it's not far.

Lots of museums -- Boeing Factory Tour, Museum of Flight, POP (Space Needle nearby), Living Computers if you're into tech, several quality art museums.

Microsoft has a Visitor Center on campus, and you can park nearby for free and walk around the campus with no special permission.

DT Bellevue is mostly shopping and restaurants, but has a nice park nearby.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Boeing flight museum. Woodinville for wine, but it is not in the city. Plenty of good restaurants in old Ballard. We really like spending a day at alki beach and taking in a sunset over a few drinks. You can hit all the major tourist sites downtown in a single day. If you can make it to rainier on a clear day it is well worth the trek. Belltown is nice to walk around near the waterfront.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Really enjoyed https://www.chihulygardenandglass.com , can bundle that with lunch or dinner at space needle.
ArcticMike

Post by ArcticMike »

BlueAcre Seafood downtown is excellent:

https://www.blueacreseafood.com/

A short walk from the main tourist areas but near the art museum (cool NW art).
SomedaySoon

Post by SomedaySoon »

Recommend Argosy cruises tour of Lake WA... its a great overview of the city, great tour plus bonus - view of mr gates house.
ohai

Post by ohai »

The last time I went to Seattle, by far the most interesting thing was the Cthulu museum or something... the guy who makes those glass sculptures. It's next to Space Needle.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

Long-time local here:

Some ideas that might not be in a guide book:

1. Have lunch at Aqua Verde and rent kayaks right below the restaurant, then go out for a paddle
2. Go to Alki in West Seattle, rent bikes (Lime bike and Jump bikes are in Seattle) and ride along the waterfront. You may be able to get over to West Seattle/Alki from Downtown via water taxi.
3. Catch a Mariners game if they are in town. The team is terrible, but the stadium is great and good food.
4. Take a ferry over to Bainbridge Island for a day trip. The views are incredible on the ferry. Probably a whole day though.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

If you are into craft beer, Old Stove Brewing at Pike Place Market is a nice way to spend some time. Outdoorsy kind of place and the food is decent too.
medic

Post by medic »

If you're here this weekend, it's Seafair with a lot of activities with the Blue Angels as the highlight.
The Computer Museum near Safeco field is also pretty fun if you like to see new and old computer tech. You can plan Oregon Trail on a Apple IIe to relive your childhood :D
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

In terms of restaurants, especially seafood, my favorites in the Seattle area are Salty's on Alki and Ray's Boathouse. Ray's is a bit north of downtown, up in the Ballard area.

If you're down towards Tacoma. you can't go wrong with with the Lobster Shop down on Commencement Bay. The Cliff House, The Fish Peddler and/or Harbor Lights would also be good choices.

Enjoy!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
upperleftcoast

Post by upperleftcoast »

Work downtown. Some good place:
Library. Impressive building but be forewarned: it's a day lodge for the homeless.
Caffe Migliore. 4th Ave. Super coffee.
Belle Epicurean. Right across from library. Legit French Bakery.
Kerry Park on Queen Anne is popular in good weather. Mt Rainier only visible in the right conditions. Better still walk west to Marshall Park with commanding views of Puget Sound and the Olympics. Queen Anne Ave while you're up there.
Museum of Flight is great and I don't even like flying. Entrance fee worth it IMO.
northtexan

Post by northtexan »

Bronko wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:28 pm The lady and I will be taking in Seattle over a long weekend in August. Staying downtown and using Uber or public transportation. I'd appreciate any insight on must see places. So far we will do Pikes market and a ferry to Bainbridge. If you have any great restaurant, cocktail spot, or coffee shop recommendations they would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
My wife and I love Seattle, my sister goes to UW so we have visited her a few times. Gas works park is a nice place to get a view of the downtown skyline. There is also this really cool pinball bar in Fremont which is a part outside of downtown and is considered the artsy area its a nice break from the downtown hustle and bustle. The pinball place is called Add A Ball. There is also a nice pub/bar down the street called Outlander. Its really neat since its in an old house. If your into Asian food they have a really good place near the UW campus called Din Tai Fung. they specialize in soup dumplings, they are great. It gets busy on the weekends so its best to make a reservation.
sg13

Post by sg13 »

Here you go!

Fish and chips. Visit “spud fish and chips”. They have a few locations in and around Seattle.
Like Mediterranean? Visit Aladdin in University District.
Pizza? Try Pagliacci. Their Pepperonni is best on the planet (and I lived in Chicago before.
Bar? Try Whiskey bar in Belltown/downtown. They have everything and their food is decent too.

Also try to get out of Seattle if you can and visit Snoqualmie falls. Their restaurant there is nice and you can hike to the river below if you like.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Bronko wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:28 pm The lady and I will be taking in Seattle over a long weekend in August. Staying downtown and using Uber or public transportation. I'd appreciate any insight on must see places. So far we will do Pikes market and a ferry to Bainbridge. If you have any great restaurant, cocktail spot, or coffee shop recommendations they would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks, Bronko. This is a helpful thread for me too. I'm going to be in Seattle from the day after Thanksgiving (Friday 11/29/19) through the following Wednesday (12/3/19). I'll be by myself, and I have the Seattle Marathon on Sunday (12/1/19), but I have Saturday, Sunday afternoon, and Monday to fill.
Topic Author
Bronko

Post by Bronko »

Thank you all for the time spent on giving me a go by list. I will be writing these down and compiling a good list by area so I can do as much as possible. Always better to go local in my opinion.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

We had a really nice time on the Shutter Tour out to Snoqualmie Falls, and some great pizza at Serious Pie downtown.
https://www.shuttertours.com/
https://www.seriouspieseattle.com/
lowerleisureclass

Post by lowerleisureclass »

Glass museum is Chihuly; though I laughed at "Cthulu." That *would* be an interesting museum.

If you like SE Asian fare try Stateside on Capitol Hill and Sen Noodle and/or Pestle Rock in Ballard. So good.

Also try La Cabaña for Central American food -- it's not centrally located but the food is great, the portions are enormous, and everyone in the place seems to be a regular. The molcahete is killer.

If you're here before Aug 12, google "Wooden O Shakespeare" for the schedule for free Shakespeare in the park(s), with professional actors.
"At either end of the economic spectrum there lies a leisure class." -- Eric Beck, rock climber
greenwood

Post by greenwood »

You mentioned cocktails; we have some award winning and perennially-nominated spots here:

Rumba
Canon
Zig Zag Cafe
Rob Roy
Navy Strength

All of the above are in or very near downtown proper. Have a great visit! The weather should be great.
JOEVANDAL

Post by JOEVANDAL »

The Mariners stink, but T-Mobile Park is truly a great place to watch a game.
Vons on 1 ave (about 3 blocks south of Pike Place) is a nice casual place to eat.