What's your Uber passenger rating?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gravlax

Re: What's your Uber passenger rating?

Post by gravlax »

I'm surprised to see so much taxi love on here.

I can't think of a single reasons to take a cab over Uber, and I can think of many reasons to take Uber/Lyft over cabs.

Unless, of course, you are somewhere that doesn't offer Uber.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Miriam2 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:48 pm
Adam11 wrote: Driver gets a notification if a trip is estimated to be 45 minutes or longer, so they get the choice of whether to accept or decline it. . . . if your big city uber driver cared a little more about his bottom line (and knowing he couldn't pick-up in the city he was going to), he should have negotiated a reasonable cash "return fee" since he was going to have many unpaid miles on his trip home. If you refused to pay the cash "return fee", he should have politefully declined the trip, let you know the next closest uber driver will be arriving shortly, and then gone on about his day. I know that's ruthless, but the current rates hover around 60¢/mile + 20¢/minute, so drivers have to be as productive as possible to stay profitable.
Thank you for this information :happy I don't think it's ruthless, it makes sense to me.
Not ruthless, but it's a defect in Uber's pricing algorithm.

Any ride which is likely to require the driver to deadhead back should have a surcharge. I say that not because I want to pay more money, but because I want there to be at least SOME drivers willing to take me.
fposte

Post by fposte »

FWIW, the uberdrivers and uber subreddits are really interesting, if likely skewed to the most vocal; one thing that's immensely clear is that the Uber experience is hugely variable by region for the drivers as well as for the passengers, with profitability literally all over the map.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

4.57 less traveled
goingup

Post by goingup »

5.0 but I'm a rule-follower and a friendly tipper. :D
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

4.96. I guess someone didn't like my jokes.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

This thread has been very educational. On the first page of this thread, I expressed reservations about Uber but now know that I'll have a good experience as long as I follow a few guidelines:

1. No short or long trips.

2. No luggage.

3. No kids.

3.1 If I absolutely have to violate 3 and take the accompanying and well-deserved rating beating, never, ever install a car seat.

4. Don't make too much conversation.

4.1 Don't make too little conversation.

5. Don't close the door too firmly.

5.1 Never let my feet brush the door when getting in.

6. Before I can be rated, I should not only mention my forthcoming big tip, but actually hand it over.

6.1 Unless the driver wants me to use the app.

6.2 Probably best to let the driver pick the tip.

7. Sit in front when riding alone.

8. Never violate local customs regarding seat belt wearing.

9. Never make the driver wait.

10. Never ask the driver to reposition his car during pickup, no matter where he is parked.

11. Never ask the driver to get out of the car, ever.

11. Never suggest an alternative route I know is better, even if, for example that road near my house that sometimes floods is closed. The driver will figure it out when the water reaches the door handles.

Having these tattooed on my wrist for easy reference. Excited to start Ubering!

PS, if you'd like to discuss this, I'll be in the cab line, in a rental car, in a zipcar or something like it, on an electric scooter, on a bus or a subway, etc. Bentley on Demand sounds fun, too; I wonder if it's expensive? :?
johnnyc321

Post by johnnyc321 »

Haven't used Uber much but most rides have been in Europe and I never tip or rate drivers.
Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 »

I’ve only taken 5 trips, but 2 were from JFK to some hotel in midtown with my wife and three kids and then the return trip.

I have always been on time/waiting for them to show up, not had anything to eat or drink during the ride, and kept up the small talk if the driver engaged first.
2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I use Uber a LOT for work the past two years. 5.0
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

eucalyptus wrote: This thread has been very educational. On the first page of this thread, I expressed reservations about Uber but now know that I'll have a good experience as long as I follow a few guidelines:

2. No luggage.

3. No kids.

3.1 If I absolutely have to violate 3 and take the accompanying and well-deserved rating beating, never, ever install a car seat.

6. Before I can be rated, I should not only mention my forthcoming big tip, but actually hand it over.

10. Never ask the driver to reposition his car during pickup, no matter where he is parked.

11. Never suggest an alternative route I know is better, even if, for example that road near my house that sometimes floods is closed. The driver will figure it out when the water reaches the door handles.

You forgot these additional guidelines :wink:

12. Don't be a jerk.

13. Keep your hands to yourself.

14. Don't bring obnoxious, loud or drunken friends on board with you.

15. No corny jokes.

16. But don't just sit there in stony silence.

17. Be more charming than you really are.

18. But if you are crazy or inebriated, keep it to yourself.

19. Avoid calling Uber in rush hour traffic time.

20. Don't go through Irvington.

21. Don't be a slob & eat in the Uber.
21.5 If you do eat in the Uber, clean up your crumbs before exiting.

Happy Ubering!

Note that "to uber" is now a verb in the English language 8-)
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 6: The Eternal Triangle. Risk, return & cost are the 3 sides of the eternal triangle of investing and are too powerful to ignore.
travelspot

Post by travelspot »

I had thought better ratings were through tipping, which I always do anyway, but apparently not. If I had to guess now, I think it is key to be waiting outside when the car pulls up. I’ve seen a lot of drivers sitting and waiting for passengers, and assume that would be annoying since your phone tells you when they are arriving.

There is definitely a black mirror feel to the scoring system, but on balance think it is a net good thing. Otherwise, it would be difficult to keep behavior on both sides in check.

I love Uber, particularly when traveling. It is key in big cities (U.S. and Europe). You don’t have to hunt for a cab or the subway. I took the kids to the subway in London just for the experience, and realized it was more expensive than just calling an Uber from where we had been. And in non-English-speaking cities, you don’t have to figure out how to work the subway or communicate with a cab driver, it is all handled via the app.
Last edited by travelspot on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Miriam2 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:58 pm
eucalyptus wrote: This thread has been very educational. On the first page of this thread, I expressed reservations about Uber but now know that I'll have a good experience as long as I follow a few guidelines:

2. No luggage.

3. No kids.

You forgot these additional guidelines :wink:

12. Don't be a jerk.

13. Keep your hands to yourself.

14. Don't bring obnoxious, loud or drunken friends on board with you.

15. No corny jokes.

16. But don't just sit there in stony silence.

17. Be more charming than you really are.

18. But if you are crazy or inebriated, keep it to yourself.

19. Avoid calling Uber in rush hour traffic time.

20. Don't go through Irvington.

21. Don't be a slob & eat in the Uber.
21.5 If you do eat in the Uber, clean up your crumbs before exiting.

Happy Ubering!

Note that "to uber" is now a verb in the English language 8-)

Outstanding additions! :sharebeer
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

gravlax wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:08 pm 4.75

I can't think of a single reasons to take a cab over Uber, and I can think of many reasons to take Uber/Lyft over cabs.

1) They are regulated and actually carry liability insurance.
2) There are ESTABLISHED procedures that you can use if there are issues with a cab driver.
3) They are cheaper, especially during periods of high demand.
4) I do not have to give Yellow Cab access to my personal and credit card information.
5) I do not need to have a smartphone to call a taxi.

Post by alter »

bluquark wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:29 pm
alter wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:31 am I have a 4.71 but now that I know I'm being rated, I'm going to start tipping less or not at all, and rating drivers a LOT lower if their car stinks, they use too strong of air freshener which 50% of them do, have weird plastic protectors layered over everything, and/or are listening to stupid music.
That would be asymmetricly harsh since drivers get fired from Uber if their rating dips too low, and it doesn’t take much — in the US, the minimum driver rating is 4.6. Uber might be their only source of income — I don’t want to vote to take that away just because they played music not to my taste or something. I always put 5 stars unless I truly think they should not be on the road (e.g. reckless driving, harassment).
I do not care one bit. I've been using Uber since when they didn't allow tips. Now that I know that I'm getting graded badly when I've never done anything rude, never made any requests to change course, never expected them to lift my luggage into their trunk, and now tip with the app almost every time (even though I don't know I'm supposed to "tell them beforehand", which I won't) I'm going to be grading them ten times more harshly. It's Uber's fault, not mine. Only absolutely perfect rides are going to get 5's from now on from me and I'm only tipping for good jobs. Otherwise it's totally going to be Uber's fault the consequences. If I get bad service, or am made to feel like I'm a bad passenger as a customer, I won't use Uber again.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Momus wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:22 pm Anyone sub 4.5 is normally a jerk. They have personality issues, demanding too much out of their driver, commanding an alternate route (no, this isn't your car, I don't care if your route takes you there 1 min faster), no tippers, and treat their Uber drivers like garbage.
Uber claims tipping doesn't affect your rating and if it did it would amount to extortion IMO.

Just on the math, the high 4-range ratings some posters seem so proud of (I realize some posts just gave it but others are clearly proud, hilarious to me) must consist of some 4 or lower ratings. So how's a person would gets some 4's not a jerk, but a person who gets a few more 4's a jerk? If the person gets lots of <4's OK maybe, but that doesn't show up in an average.

But personally I've only used the service twice in my life, on a recent trip, to Newark Airport, from LAX to where my car had been delivered, then we drove it back east. There's no little number under my name on the app. It was fine, I might use it again for to-from airport stuff but probably pretty rarely.
NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis »

Think about the average age of users on this forum, and the bolded might make a bit more sense. People don't like change, no matter how much it's for the better.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

mine is 4.94
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

NewPhoneWhoDis wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:52 am

Think about the average age of users on this forum, and the bolded might make a bit more sense. People don't like change, no matter how much it's for the better.
I guess it's among relatively older generation people pro-taxi sentiment is more common. But IME it's got a political aspect, which I won't go further but I think also is implied by some of the pro taxi posts, and some people I know who don't like Uber/Lyft.

I live right next to Manhattan. In Manhattan yellow cabs are pretty competitive with Uber/Lyft, depending the situation. The ride shares have made serious inroads, and yellow medallion prices are way down. But they're not likely to kill yellow cabs in Manhattan. Out in the Boroughs (which yellow cabs generally avoid, green cabs are a very incomplete solution) and here on NJ side immediately adjacent to the City it's less of a contest. Taxi service is much inferior. The people who used to take you to the airport from where I live are AFAIK now out of business, which is no surprise because they were absolutely terrible, any credible competition would have killed them. I have to assume this is also generally true as you go a bit further from urban centers, but I guess it might reverse in lower density areas where there are cab co's serving the area, that you can call not hail, but it's just not dense enough for Uber to work. Then way out in the boondocks there's neither.

Again I've only used Uber twice. I walk where I need to go in town, drive if it's further, take the subway if I'm in the City, was able to get my kids to take us to the airport the few times we've gone in recent years (had to quit taking those horrible cabs). Then it was inconvenient for anyone to take us to the airport earlier this year and we took Uber for the first time. Not bad, but this idea of being rated as a customer really rubs me the wrong way I have to say. If it's really true just don't be a complete jerk and it's fine (I try hard not to 'punch down' generally in life), OK. If it does turn out to be a problem that I don't like to make small talk with strangers, or I'm being essentially forced to tip or not get service, then I'll delete the app and live without it, like I always have.