New Car Post Purchase Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dp102288

New Car Post Purchase Recommendations

Post by dp102288 »

Close relative of mine just purchased a 2019 Honda Odyssey EX. Opinions on new vs used & pricing aside, the plan is to keep it “forever”.

Any tips / recommendations on what to do with a new car?

Rustproofing?
Detailing? (yeah its new, but I dunno, some supper expensive wax/clearcoat to “preserve”)
Pictures for future insurance claims? (just a random thought)
Seat protectors?
Special floor mats? (though it came with weathertech floor & trunk mats which was rather surprising)
???

Specifically an extended warranty? I’ve always been intrigued about the Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Mopar lifetime warranties. Supposedly not just FCA cars:

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/care/mopar- ... /faqs.html

https://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ve ... an_id=2015

Most are sold online by specific dealers who all have different quotes (was thinking of getting a lifetime warranty on a Jeep 2 years ago, each dealer had a different price)

Anyone have any experience with any type of extended warranty? Either the Mopar or any others? Worth it or nah if keeping forever?

And any recommendations on what to do with the new car in terms of long term preservation / maximum usability / durability / longevity?

Edit: Location is NJ, so snow & salt winters....

--DP
megabad

Re: New Car Post Purchase Recommendations

Post by megabad »

dp102288 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:00 pm Close relative of mine just purchased a 2019 Honda Odyssey EX. Opinions on new vs used & pricing aside, the plan is to keep it “forever”.

Rustproofing? Never drive near salt water or on any treated roads :happy . Otherwise, clean the undercarriage religiously (get a carwash membership that hits the underside).
Detailing? (yeah its new, but I dunno, some supper expensive wax/clearcoat to “preserve”)
Never wash the car via touch (or wax etc) or harsh chemicals. I mean not even microfiber cloth. Seriously, this is my secret and my cars look pristine. Garage the car.
Of a new car? I would like to think they know what a stock new car looks like. Definitely keep the initial documentation (listing addons etc).
Seat protectors?
Dog owner here so yes on seat covers. I only use airbag compatible models though (most don't from what I see basically disabling side airbags).
Special floor mats? (though it came with weathertech floor & trunk mats which was rather surprising)
I am all about weathertech (and knockoffs). Only mat I can use to clean up the dog hair. Otherwise the car become a permanent fur ball. I have the mats and the phone cup holder thing.

Specifically an extended warranty? I’ve always been intrigued about the Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Mopar lifetime warranties. Supposedly not just FCA cars:
On a Honda? Uh big no for me. Even if yes, only through manufacturer.

And any recommendations on what to do with the new car in terms of long term preservation / maximum usability / durability / longevity?
Do all regular maintenance exactly per the manual. That is pretty much it. The joys of owning a Honda/Toyota. Additionally I might add that driving the car easy will likely decrease the amount of money spent on brakes and tires. Drive the car regularly. Garage the car. Don't run old gas (drive regularly). Fix an CE light problem immediately.

Edit: Location is NJ, so snow & salt winters....
This is probably the biggest hit to life in the super long term. Most people don't keep their cars long enough for it to matter much though. Just keep the undercarriage clean. I used to roll through the car wash right after every single big snow. At least one a week. Nowadays, I won't buy an older used car that was ever owned near salt water or in the far north.

--DP
rj342

Post by rj342 »

Dont know if it is the current advice but people used to say drive the first X number of miles (100?) trying to minimize high speed/rpm while engine does some initial break in.

Also used to be advice about being careful washing the car for a while, other than gently by hand, to give the paint some more time to fully harden, if pretty recently off the assembly line. However the modern paints may be so tough thats moot now. Couple things to ask about.

Be prepared for the factory tires to not last quite as long as you might expect, unless they happen to be Michelins (unlikely).

I have a 19 year old set of HuskyLiner floor mats in old truck that have been indestructible. However they are more tough plastic than rubbery so may feel too utilitarian for you in minivan.

Had a 2001 Toyota Siena we kept 8 years. Had a controller board go for the powered sliding door, well over $1000. Out of warranty of course. Did get a Honda factory extended warranty when got our 2009 Pilot, taking coverage out to 8 years. We drive moderate miles and new we would max out the time before hitting the 100k miles limit. That paid for itself. Issue is always risk of things only dealer in a good position to fix so $$. Can make the argument youre better off self insuring, but taking out the element of surprise bills was worth it to us.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

rj342 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:45 pm Dont know if it is the current advice but people used to say drive the first X number of miles (100?) trying to minimize high speed/rpm while engine does some initial break in.
Closer to 1,000 for many cars.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Just drive it and enjoy the new car. I can't imagine paying more money for new car and keep worrying about it. :oops: Just drive it like a tank and enjoy that feeling.
Watty

Post by Watty »

It may sound basic but they should check the oil and other fluids as well as the tire pressure. Cars have been known to leave a dealership with these not being correct.

It varies by brand and model but there may be a couple of "magic numbers" that might be on a tag that came with the original keys or in the paperwork. These may be needed to make new keys or enable the stereo after the battery is disconnected. These are anti theft features that can be a big problem if you need them and don't have them. Be sure to keep these in a safe place.

I email these to myself so that if I am 1,000 miles from home I can still get them.

When I have gotten a new car I have made getting more than two keys as part of the deal so that I can put one in my safe so that I will always have one. With some cars it can be VERY expensive to make a new key if you lose all your keys. If they only got two keys with the car they may want to go on and get some extra keys made now. These may be expensive to have the dealer make so they should research to see if a locksmith can make them. Getting two extra keys made will likely not cost much more than one so they should check in the price for getting two made.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Follow the owner's manual.

Wash it regularly.

Hand wax every 3-4 months.

That's it.

JT
Watty

Post by Watty »

One more thing. Extended warranties are almost always a bad deal but some important points are;

1) Warranties by anyone other than the manufacturer are even worse and the company may be out of business by the time you want to use it.

2) There is no need to buy a manufactures warranty now, you can buy it anytime before the full warranties and you will get lots of mail trying to sell you one.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

H and A dot com for accessories
Topic Author
dp102288

Post by dp102288 »

Great information from everyone so far. I do appreciate it. Keep them coming please.

And especially about getting extra keys made. I had quite a debacle getting chip keys for my 2004 Mazda 6. Had 2, lost 1. Turned into a 3 week nightmare.

The Odyssey is some fancy keyless fob thingy. But maybe getting an extra fob so there is always 2 spares (if 1 gets lost) will avoid some headaches. That I'll look into for sure.

Will check the oil level as well....
Brain

Post by Brain »

Congrats to your relative on the new car. The Odyssey is an awesome vehicle. We have a '12 Odyssey ourselves.

I frequented https://www.odyclub.com for information prior to purchasing the car and it's a great resource for help.

As for an extended warranty, have the buyer visit https://hyannishondacare.com. They have the best prices on HondaCare warranties.
strafe

Post by strafe »

dp102288 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:00 pm Great information from everyone so far. I do appreciate it. Keep them coming please.

And especially about getting extra keys made. I had quite a debacle getting chip keys for my 2004 Mazda 6. Had 2, lost 1. Turned into a 3 week nightmare.

The Odyssey is some fancy keyless fob thingy. But maybe getting an extra fob so there is always 2 spares (if 1 gets lost) will avoid some headaches. That I'll look into for sure.

Congrats to you and your parents on the new family car. I would be delighted if my kids were this eager to help with maintaining my cars.
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

dp102288 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:00 pm Great information from everyone so far. I do appreciate it. Keep them coming please.

Key fobs are about $300. We have a third because we have 3 drivers. If the dealership has them in stock, doesn’t take long to get one. I’m not sure if it’s worth having a spare personally, but it’s your call. Note that the Fobs are marked with a number (1 or 2). If the car has automatic presets for seat positioning, it senses which key you have and adjusts the seats. One downside to pre/buying a spare is that if you lose one, you may end up having both keys #1 or #2.
Dilbydog

Post by Dilbydog »

We put a ‘clear bra’ in the front end, covering the whole hood and side panels to the door. Haven’t had any paint chips due to road hazards. Even did the back “tailgate” (is an suv) so the dogs would accidentally scratch it jumping in and out.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Undercoating will absolutely destroy your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvl9nt57Kg&t=118s

Using something like fluid film will protect the car but needs to be periodically re-applied. It won't destroy your car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 »

dp102288 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:00 pm Close relative of mine just purchased a 2019 Honda Odyssey EX. Opinions on new vs used & pricing aside, the plan is to keep it “forever”.

Rustproofing? Waste of money. Cars are designed to be corrosion resistant. You may get surface rust at some point, which is inevitable when living in the rust belt but it should not affect functionality or safety of the vehicle.
Detailing? (yeah its new, but I dunno, some supper expensive wax/clearcoat to “preserve”)IMO, waste of money to do protective film or ceramic coating. Just wash and wax it regularly. Megiuar's and Mothers make good stuff.
Seat protectors?Unless you have dogs, I see this as another item not needed if you are cleaning and vacuuming your car regularly

--DP
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

Dilbydog wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:13 am We put a ‘clear bra’ in the front end, covering the whole hood and side panels to the door. Haven’t had any paint chips due to road hazards. Even did the back “tailgate” (is an suv) so the dogs would accidentally scratch it jumping in and out.
+1 to this. Paint protective film can really save the front end of your car, especially in places where they mix cinder in with road salting in the winter. I had 3M XPEL applied to the nose, headlights, full hood, door cups, partial side panels, both fuel door covers, and tailgate of my 2019 XC60.
mnveloguy

Post by mnveloguy »

Follow the manufacturer break in procedure which will likely mean a oil change early in the first 500-2k miles. When changed, put in FULL synthetic. The small price difference will pay dividends long term... and you can extend oil change intervals. Beware of synthetic "blends", they are not full synthetic.

Don't waste your time with undercoatings, just hit it with a pressure washer DIY wash place a few times throughout the winter months.