Cheap Amazon Mattress Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Moolala

Cheap Amazon Mattress Recommendations?

Post by Moolala » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm a current law student (rising 2L) searching for a cheap (hopefully firm) Amazon mattress that will last me the next two years. I would really appreciate any recommendations, and am hoping to spend under $200.

I bought an Amazon mattress once before, but it didn't hold up too well. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if that's par for the course with this sort of thing. Still, I am hoping that someone might have a bit of wisdom they can lend!

nyclon

Re: Cheap Amazon Mattress Recommendations?

Post by nyclon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:00 pm

Moolala wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:54 pm
Hi all,

I'm a current law student (rising 2L) searching for a cheap (hopefully firm) Amazon mattress that will last me the next two years. I would really appreciate any recommendations, and am hoping to spend under $200.

I bought an Amazon mattress once before, but it didn't hold up too well. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if that's par for the course with this sort of thing. Still, I am hoping that someone might have a bit of wisdom they can lend!
Zinus

grich8888

Post by grich8888 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:02 pm

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Moolala wrote:
Hi all,

I have personal experience with
Ashley mattress in a box (sleepable, barely)
Mattress firm cheapo (sleepable)

I will never sleep on these again btw but I considered them acceptable throw away mattresses when I was located somewhere temporarily. If you...um heavily use a mattress...it tends to wear for a couple a little more so these didn't last very long for me.

I am the cheapest guy in the world and I sleep on pretty expensive mattress now. Best money I ever spent. Tried maybe 100 in stores before I settled.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:06 pm

megabad wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:03 pm
Moolala wrote:
Hi all,

I have personal experience with
Ashley mattress in a box (sleepable, barely)
Mattress firm cheapo (sleepable)

I will never sleep on these again btw but I considered them acceptable throw away mattresses when I was located somewhere temporarily. If you...um heavily use a mattress...it tends to wear for a couple a little more so these didn't last very long for me.

I am the cheapest guy in the world and I sleep on pretty expensive mattress now. Best money I ever spent. Tried maybe 100 in stores before I settled.

Do you mind if I ask what mattress you ended up with? We are in the market as well and have looked at a number of the on-line companies (Saatva, Casper, Nest, Avocado, etc.).

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:24 pm

I bought this one recently in King size. Being cheap, I got a deal ($330). It might be available for a similar price if you shop around. It's as firm as I would recommend if you're fat and probably too firm if you're not. I ended up putting a topper on it to make it reasonable. Happy shopping.

ComforPedic Loft from Beautyrest 10-inch Firm Choose Your Comfort Gel Memory Foam Mattress
https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-32599 ... ve_Dynamic

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:28 pm

Moolala wrote:
Hi all,

Try LinenSpa on Amazon. I’ve purchased several, big fan.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:37 pm

MDfan wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:06 pm
Do you mind if I ask what mattress you ended up with? We are in the market as well and have looked at a number of the on-line companies (Saatva, Casper, Nest, Avocado, etc.).
Well I am not sure I am much help since I don't know anything about most of the online companies. I currently have a BeautyRest Black (definitely not relevant to OP's post). I have at least 10 vendors within 10 minutes of my house, so I bought in store. Basically, the economies of scale of being able to try so many so fast in person makes buying in person easier for me than online. It got to the point where I went in the last store and plopped down on one a second and could tell instantly whether it was better than the last. I went down aisles like this, irritating salespeople all the way.

I did not get a great deal I don't think, so definitely possible that online would be a lot cheaper for good quality just not sure. I think mattresses are pretty personal though, so YMMV. I also had specific wants because I am weird (I hate pillow top, like the perfect firmness, box spring could not creak etc). I bought it single, so a little easier for me as well (compared to married couple).

msi

Post by msi » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:28 pm

We've had this mattress from Zinus for the past two years, the 12" gel-infused memory foam https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NH ... UTF8&psc=1

Very comfortable. Wouldn't hesitate to buy Zinus again.

Topic Author
Moolala

Post by Moolala » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:02 pm

Thank you so much, everyone! It's very helpful to hear some genuine feedback.

hectorochoa

Post by hectorochoa » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:26 pm

I also like a firm mattress. Here are the mattresses I have purchased from Amazon.

Zinus Green Tea: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q7 ... =UTF8&th=1

I've had two of these Zinus Green Teas and loved them both. They last me exactly 3 years.

Ashley Chime Express: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777 ... =UTF8&th=1

Bought this one on Prime Day a couple weeks ago on a huge sale discount. It is very firm. Firmer than the Zinus Green Tea. Figured I would give it a try due to great price and excellent reviews. So far we are happy with it, but very early on.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:25 pm

For the past 6+ months I've been using the
"Zinus 10 Inch Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress"
along with a "SUFUEE Mattress Topper Full Down Alternative - Duo-V Home 2” Thick Overfilled Pillow Top Mattress Cover" on top of it, on the "AmazonBasics Foldable Metal Platform Bed Frame for Under-Bed Storage - Tools-free Assembly"
It works great for me, the cover gives it a little bit of plush'iness to sink into before the very firm mattress kicks in.
It was all delivered through the mail, easily assembled/moved by one person in an upstairs apartment.
Last edited by JoMoney on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

edudumb

Post by edudumb » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:29 pm

hectorochoa wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:26 pm
I also like a firm mattress. Here are the mattresses I have purchased from Amazon.

I've had two of these Zinus Green Teas and loved them both. They last me exactly 3 years.

Bought this one on Prime Day a couple weeks ago on a huge sale discount. It is very firm. Firmer than the Zinus Green Tea. Figured I would give it a try due to great price and excellent reviews. So far we are happy with it, but very early on.
What happened to your Zinus at 3 years old?

sonosoldi3112

Post by sonosoldi3112 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Great deals at Costco in store right now .. (do not use online as prices totally different than in store savings ) ... if you care to venture outside of amazon.

nexesn

Post by nexesn » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:46 pm

I know it's not the question... but have you thought about a futon mattress? Or, buying from IKEA. No need to respond directly to my inquiry. Just throwing those out there. Assuming you want Amazon as it's quick, and easy returns if you aren't happy with the product.

Good luck with the rest of studies and the search for a good cheap mattress.

hectorochoa

Post by hectorochoa » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:18 am

edudumb wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:29 pm
hectorochoa wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:26 pm

What happened to your Zinus at 3 years old?
After about 3 years they developed 'ruts' in the area I sleep and need replacement. I rotate the mattresses routinely to try and extend the life, but about three years is all I get out of memory foam mattresses (about 6'3" 190lbs). Maybe I toss and turn a lot when I sleep, but my wife doesn't ever develop the ruts on her side. Also, I'm a firefighter and sleep at the firehouse every third night, so I only sleep at home 2 out of 3 nights.

I've had the Ashley Chime Express for a month now and it is a bit firmer than the Zinus Green Tea, but I like a firm mattress. Overall I've been happy with both the Zinus Green Tea and Ashley Chime Express and am ok with a 3 year replacement schedule.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:31 am

We also loved our reasonably priced foam, boxed mattresses (from Amazon) for about 3 years. That seems to be the life of them. Did 2 of them with mild success. I am 6-1, 175, wife is 5-4, <normal>.

Then the foam breaks down. Comfort can change quickly. We found we could adjust pillows for a bit, but then it was time for a new mattress. Perhaps only real latex (sleep organic) is the only foam to not break down.

We recently purchased a new mattress with no foam. Locally made. 2,000 coil base, 800 coil "foam replacement" top coil, comfy mattress cover. Slightly on the firmer side, but not firm. It was ~$1,400 with box spring. 15 year warranty and guaranteed not to sag or they fix it/replace it.

We will see how it works. So far, it is very comfortable. I was a big fan of the cheaper box mattresses, but 3 years goes fast and it is kind of a pain to replace/toss the old one.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:31 am

We just got the Zinus Green Tea one from Amazon. We've only had it a month but we've been happy. We're not counting on it to last as long as our last one, but for $200, we're fine with that.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:53 am

Perhaps you could consider topping a cheap mattress with a memory foam layer, if you like the feeling of this material.

TNWoods

Post by TNWoods » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:56 am

Another recommendation for Zinus.

TNWoods

wilked

Post by wilked » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 am

Zinus