Tree Removal Crane vs Boom

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SimonJester

Tree Removal Crane vs Boom

Post by SimonJester »

So I have two quotes on a tree removal nearly identical in price, both companies are bonded and insured. One company is proposing using a crane to remove the tree is larger sections to prevent any damage to surrounding trees. The other company a Boom lift.

What would you recommend?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
dm200

Re: Tree Removal Crane vs Boom

Post by dm200 »

SimonJester wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:17 pm So I have two quotes on a tree removal nearly identical in price, both companies are bonded and insured. One company is proposing using a crane to remove the tree is larger sections to prevent any damage to surrounding trees. The other company a Boom lift.
Not familiar with "Boom Lift". can you elaborate?

Perhaps check references for both - maybe find a situation like yours.
Topic Author
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

dm200 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm
SimonJester wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:17 pm So I have two quotes on a tree removal nearly identical in price, both companies are bonded and insured. One company is proposing using a crane to remove the tree is larger sections to prevent any damage to surrounding trees. The other company a Boom lift.

Sorry re read the 2nd quote and it says Boom Truck, which now googling appears to be truck mounted crane...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
dm200

Post by dm200 »

SimonJester wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:27 pm
Sorry re read the 2nd quote and it says Boom Truck, which now googling appears to be truck mounted crane...
OK - makes sense. How "risky" or possible is doing this without the crane or boom crane? Are these trees that risk damage yours?

I would think that a crane adds a lot of expense - but it should be quicker.

We had a tree removed close to our house and the neighbor's with a guy spending several hours with a chain saw climbing on the tree - until there was only 10-12 feet of trunk remaining. He had a guy with a rope holding the branches as he cut so they would not fall on either house.

Is this a possibility? If so, have you priced it?
likegarden

Re: Tree Removal Crahttps://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11ne vs Boom

Post by likegarden »

My neighbor had just one large maple removed with a truck mounted crane. It was quick and without damage. That tree was close to their house, on a slope, touching my fence and another fence was in front of it. They did not grind out the stump. It started with 4x8 plywood (looked like it) placed on their lawn, the truck driving up on that plywood, and a guy lifted via the crane on the top of the tree. That man then cut off the top first, crane removing it, etc, was smooth and clean operation.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Hard to recommend a choice without knowing what the landscape is like and the configuration and proposed location of the crane as well as the price differential.

I have had guys use a boom truck a few times, but I don't see how that would be any worse for surrounding trees unless they are extremely close together and/or the guys doing the cutting aren't very good at their job. The guys who did mine have both dropped an entire tree at once (then cut the trunk into sections) or have cut the trunk into sections from the top down (a much slower and delicate process). In the former scenario they cut the trunk into sections after it was felled and then moved the sections close to the boom truck via a Bobcat.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

dm200 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:38 pm
OK - makes sense. How "risky" or possible is doing this without the crane or boom crane? Are these trees that risk damage yours?

We had a tree removed close to our house and the neighbor's with a guy spending several hours with a chain saw climbing on the tree - until there was only 10-12 feet of trunk remaining. He had a guy with a rope holding the branches as he cut so they would not fall on either house.

I've had an 80ft pine tree removed using the method dm200 describes. It was ideal because little to no damage was done by either the tree or by heavy equipment. It took a long time, with people on the ground helping to lower pieces on rope and splitting/chipping as material came down. I was left with a pile of firewood and a pile of wood chips. Very slick and worth the money.
Topic Author
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

dm200 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:38 pm

I have priced it both ways and the difference in cost was minimal $80. The guys with the crane explain what they spend on the crane rental they save on labor. This tree is not next to my house however it does over hang a crab apple tree I don't want damaged.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

dm200 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm OK - makes sense. How "risky" or possible is doing this without the crane or boom crane? Are these trees that risk damage yours?

+1 to dm200’s suggestion to price the alternative, if it’s feasible. Large difference in pricing in my HCOL area with and without a crane.

Edited to remove rest of post due to OPs response about minimal price difference with and without crane.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

While I do not consider myself an expert, a simple search is this:

https://www.certifymeonline.net/blog/bo ... -vs-crane/

Boom Lift Vs Boom Crane: What Are the Differences?

The main difference between a boom lift vs crane is that boom lifts are used for lifting workers and their equipment to work sites at height. They are used to help build structures and maintain them, in addition to power line work, window washing, and tree care. Boom cranes don’t have a bucket platform for holding workers. They are only used for lifting and moving extremely heavy loads. Unlike any boom lift, boom cranes use a series of chains, cables, pulleys, and concrete blocks to lift the crane arm and counteract the weight.

Boom lifts are classified as vehicle-mounted devices used to lift people. The base of the boom lift rests on wheels or on stabilizing “feet”. Workers are lifted and lowered while standing on the bucket platform attached to the boom arm. This is the base mechanism that allows aerial lifts to be used in construction and a wide variety of other jobs.
megabad

Post by megabad »

I suspect they are essentially exactly the same piece of equipment. One firm might have a telescoping lift/crane dropped off and rolled off the back of a truck. The other would have a boom truck (with the crane/lift) attached to it. I suppose the truck mounted device might be ever so slightly heavier but they will both be massively heavy. The damage to your lawn should be about the same. Either way is normal procedure for removing large trees in my area. With smaller trees, I have seen a guy scurry up a tree and strap in to the trunk with a chainsaw. Once you start getting into the 150+ year old trees with branches that could flatten people cars/houses, they typically can't do all the work from the trunk (safely) and it is much faster to use a bucket/lift to cut outer limbs.
Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 »

One treeman/tree removal businessman owns a boom truck and uses it on a job when it is adequate. On a bigger job he will call an operator who owns a very large crane
when the large crane is required I think the job is more expensive.
Also might depend on whether the tree is very tight up against a building that might get damaged if something goes wrong
the crane is driven like a truck but much harder to manouver into place than the boom truck

both boom truck and crane have outrigger arms that support them when at work (the crane's are much larger and extend further from the vehicle when deployed)
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

I had a very large tree removed and the company didn’t use a crane at all. It was about 8’ from my deck and inches from a wood fence and nothing was damaged. If the prices are similar I would try to work them down. Maybe get the stump removal thrown in.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

If the price is the same, you're crazy to not go with the crane.

Crane is faster and doesn't leave ruts in your yard from fallen pieces of trunk. There is 0 benefit to using a boom over crane.
Topic Author
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Thanks for all the replies, Ive ended up contracting with the first company that said they would use a crane. The schedule is several weeks out, so Ill report back on how it goes.

FYI the scheduled date is listed in the contract and the company did not request any sort of down payment. RE viewtopic.php?t=286228
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Either crane or boom truck, as long as they are sized to the job that's needed with no compromise (project doesn't change because the crane or boom truck is too small for the load (therefore load has to be broken up), or too large for the jobsite.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

hopefully they don't tear up the yard w/ ruts and tracks from a large piece of machinery, may want to ask about that.

Lazy neighbor (prior home) let little sucker trees get out of hand and when I bought, a big one hung right over my home. It was a gutter nightmare and if it fell it would easily demolish the home. For $600ish (neighbor split cost), a very skilled guy came out and put on these metal cleats, climbed the tree and dropped it piece by piece. He definitely knew what he was doing - no crane or boom required.

Be wary of just letting a stump sit and rot - it could attract carpenter ants, a huge problem in itself.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
mpnret

Post by mpnret »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:35 pm
dm200 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm OK - makes sense. How "risky" or possible is doing this without the crane or boom crane? Are these trees that risk damage yours?

+1 to dm200’s suggestion to price the alternative, if it’s feasible. Large difference in pricing in my HCOL area with and without a crane.

Edited to remove rest of post due to OPs response about minimal price difference with and without crane.
I'm another one for dm200's and homestretch's suggestion. My tree guy who does a lot in our area doesn't use a crane or boom. He has experienced climbers. They climb the tree, tie off pieces, cut them and carefully lower them to the ground. Quick, clean and neat.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

mpnret wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:27 am

I'm another one for dm200's and homestretch's suggestion. My tree guy who does a lot in our area doesn't use a crane or boom. He has experienced climbers. They climb the tree, tie off pieces, cut them and carefully lower them to the ground. Quick, clean and neat.
This.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

And another. They would had to pull up another tree and break up some sidewalk to get a big truck back to the trees that needed to be cut. Climbers avoided all that.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

My problem with the tree climber folks, was that none of them carried workman's comp insurance. My city requires all tree service companies to be licensed, carry Liability and Workman's comp insurance. However they allow the small tree climbers to waive the workman's comp requirement. This was a problem for me with such a large tree. Also given the fact the tree climbers were only $100 or so cheaper then the crane folks it just didn't seem worth it.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I can't give you an answer to your specific question. However, in regards to they being "bonded and insured", don't take their word for that. Ask to supply you with a copy of their insurance. Insurance is very important especially for what they are doing. They may not be telling the truth.
When I have requested insurance copies, and I do for most house work. I keep the copy. One time they could not supply one and disappeared. Another time, they did give me a copy, but the date of the insurance was the day I was to hire them, so it appears they did not have insurance when they said they did, but they did get one to get the job.
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Sheepdog wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:55 am I can't give you an answer to your specific question. However, in regards to they being "bonded and insured", don't take their word for that. Ask to supply you with a copy of their insurance. Insurance is very important especially for what they are doing. They may not be telling the truth.
When I have requested insurance copies, and I do for most house work. I keep the copy. One time they could not supply one and disappeared. Another time, they did give me a copy, but the date of the insurance was the day I was to hire them, so it appears they did not have insurance when they said they did, but they did get one to get the job.
Most importantly add the customer or OP name legal name as additionally insured on the certificate. Usually the agent or broker will gladly do so.

If they hesitate it is a red flag that they are not insured.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

retire2022 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:38 pm
Sheepdog wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:55 am I can't give you an answer to your specific question. However, in regards to they being "bonded and insured", don't take their word for that. Ask to supply you with a copy of their insurance. Insurance is very important especially for what they are doing. They may not be telling the truth.
Most importantly add the customer or OP name legal name as additionally insured on the certificate. Usually the agent or broker will gladly do so.
t
If they hesitate it is a red flag that they are not insured.
I never considered that. It will be interesting when I next ask for a copy and my endorsement. Have you done the way you said? with your name on it?
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Sheepdog wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:18 pm
I never considered that. It will be interesting when I next ask for a copy and my endorsement. Have you done the way you said? with your name on it?
Yes I've done it for my job as additionally insured, and for my personal property whenever I hired contractors.

here is an example of what I am discussing, see box 5.NAMED ADDITIONAL INSURED "your legal name" must be named additional insured.

https://www.idahoiceworld.com/media/107 ... sample.pdf

I'd previously discussed this on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=280116&hilit=tree& ... 0#p4538372

see video if this does not convince you otherwise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwPhoje32J0