Simplicity

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Simplicity

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads -

We often talk of simplicity in our financial lives. Our mentor Jack Bogle has said it is the key to financial success.

What does that mean exactly to you as an individual? How have the lessons of simplicity improved your individual lives from both a financial and non financial perspective. Improving one can improve the other.

I would like to folks to share their experiences, stories, and perspectives on how they simplified, reduced clutter, and achieved harmony. In my opinion it appears to be a never ending quest and journey that is refined and adapts to the present.

We watched “The Minimalists” on Netflix and highly recommend it. Great movie and lifestyle that does seem to be as filled and stressed compared to society as a whole.

Please access the site here and watch the movie:

https://www.theminimalists.com/
Last edited by abuss368 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Simplicity

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Abuss:

When I came back from the war, a friend gave me a book written by the great American philosopher, Henry David Thoreau. He titled it, "Walden." That book about Simplicity changed my life for the better-- both at home and with my investments.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success. -- We ignore the real diamonds of simplicity, seeking instead the illusory rhinestones of complexity."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
peterwantstosave

Post by peterwantstosave »

I, too, like the minimalists podcast and movie.

I really appreciate Dave Ramsey's approach to getting out of debt. His book Total Money Makeover simplified my life, even though I am not a Ramsey follower because I do use credit cards. The foundations of what he preaches should definitely be taught in school. I didn't know about them until a couple of years ago and it completely changed my life.

Now, I treat debt (somewhat) like Dave does, and I invest like a Boglehead.

I also really like Jon Kabat Zinn's WHEREVER YOU GO THERE YOU ARE
403b: 54% VTSAX, 36% BTMKX 10% QCBMRX | GSRA: 100% Money Market (100% QCBMRX on Dec 11, 2020) | Roth IRA: 100% FIPFX | Taxable: 100% FSKAX
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Simplicity ["The Minimalists” Movie on Netflix]

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (movie). I retitled the thread for clarity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:38 pm Abuss:

When I came back from the war, a friend gave me a book written by the great American philosopher, Henry David Thoreau. He titled it, "Walden." That book about Simplicity changed my life for the better-- both at home and with my investments.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success. -- We ignore the real diamonds of simplicity, seeking instead the illusory rhinestones of complexity."
Thanks Taylor. Will have to look for that book.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Wow! Thought simplicity would’ve a popular thread!
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:35 pm Thanks Taylor. Will have to look for that book.
I recently downloaded it from Project Gutenberg (via the Project Gutenberg iOS app). Haven’t read it yet, but I read about it in another interesting book and decided to add it to my to-do list. Can’t beat the Gutenberg price :)

Thank you for starting this thread. I have added the podcast to my PocketCast app and will watch the movie in the near future.
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:55 pm Bogleheads -

We often talk of simplicity in our financial lives. Our mentor Jack Bogle has said it is the key to financial success.

What does that mean exactly to you as an individual? How have the lessons of simplicity improved your individual lives from both a financial and non financial perspective. Improving one can improve the other.

I would like to folks to share their experiences, stories, and perspectives on how they simplified, reduced clutter, and achieved harmony. In my opinion it appears to be a never ending quest and journey that is refined and adapts to the present.

We watched “The Minimalists” on Netflix and highly recommend it. Great movie and lifestyle that does seem to be as filled and stressed compared to society as a whole.

Please access the site here and watch the movie:

https://www.theminimalists.com/
OP. I must admit this is one of the weirder posts I've seen on this forum, but ok. Hey, I'll play. :happy

First, Mr. Larimore is correct. I live within easy driving distance of Walden Pond and go there often, to contemplate in natural surroundings. That Thoreau guy was on to something. Listen to him. It works. BTW, I've been doing this since WELL before the internet/instagram/FaceBook/et al. was a "thing".

Second, everything you said in your posts SCREAMS that you want others to share their experiences/stories/perspectives so that you can use what they share with you and the "raw content" they kindly give you for free, to morph into content you can sell for $, without sharing that $ with those that provided the raw material to begin with. "Fo' Shame", anyone?? (duh) In short, you're "worried". So aren't we all. It's a crazy world. I get that. SoAnyway....

Please come clean on why you posted as you did. Please tell me I'm wrong and why. I'd like to believe that you can be your better self, abuss368. Otherwise, why should anyone here give you any of the requested (and I quote your words) "experiences, stories, and perspectives on how they simplified, reduced clutter, and achieved harmony." How have YOU? Others will show you theirs if you show yours.

Just sayin'.... ; ) Best wishes; life ain't easy....

No 'mos toward anyone; Just tryin' to keep it real...
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Simplified financial life -- about 7 accounts now down to just 2. Here's my thread.
viewtopic.php?t=244237
I might be giving up some returns but I find the simplicity more than worth it.

In other parts of life, minimize clutter following the principle of joy from Marie Kondo.
https://www.marthastewart.com/1106009/k ... ing-method
Keep only what "sparks joy," discard everything else, and assign a home for everything within your home.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

I have been following these guys for years,and met them twice in person. I have adopted a minimalistic lifestyle for years now + never looked back. Does it brings value to my life? That"s the question I ask myself. Yep, simplicity in investing also.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I saw the movie a few months ago and like the message these guys are trying to spread. This is an excellent topic, in my opinion, and very much connected to finances.

The benefits of simplification have been great for us. We don’t want many of the items that people tend to desire. By not wanting these things, we don’t need as much money to live on and have been able to work very nice schedules and lead low-stress lives.

Living simply has benefited our net worth but that seems to be more of a side-effect as that wasn’t really the goal. The focus has always been on time, not on account balances.

Stuff does sneakily tend to pile up so we’ve been going over every area in our house this summer and decluttering. We try to do a cabinet or some corner of the house each day. We’ve donated and thrown out many things. Our five-year-old is sometimes involved in the process so it’s a great learning experience for her as well. Our home looks neater, is more organized, and has, in effect, become more spacious.

I think the Minimalists are trying to remind people that the best things in life are free. It's worth being reminded of this from time to time, in my view.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I got myself down to a very small amount of stuff. I have about 1400 items in my home that weigh about 800 pounds in total. I know this because I've moved twice now so I had to inventory everything.

I find simplicity not very simple, at first. It takes effort because there's always stuff I find I'm wanting. I am probably going to buy a nice apartment with my boyfriend in the next few years, and I have a lot of things for the home I've always wanted stored in containers. On a day to day basis, I actually use very little. I have one bowl, one spoon, one fork, one pair of jeans, two pairs of shoes, etc. You get the idea.

When I went through the decluttering process a few years back, I took Marie Kondo's advice and did everything in one go. Recycled almost all my books (I read everything on a Kindle now) except a small box of sentimental ones. Digitized 75% of my papers; the remaining ones I like reading them in paper form (like childhood journals, etc.) so I am keeping those.

These days I wait two weeks to a month before buying most non-essential things, unless it's time sensitive (like an auction on Ebay). I have a folder on my computer called "Things I Like" - full of items I was sure I wanted to buy, but which a month later I didn't like! It is nuts. On the plus side, my home currently is filled honestly with only the things that bring me a lot of joy. And it's not cluttered at all. It's funny, but when you prevent/remove excess, the things that you do have take on more importance. You really start seeing them.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

They seem to be offering a product in an ever crowded marketplace. I chose to stop feeling inadequate and will not be consuming their drivel.

The number one link or ad at the bottom of the page is about how to start a blog...that is just what the world needs, more blogs.
Pale Blue Dot
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

TravelGeek wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:39 pm Thank you for starting this thread. I have added the podcast to my PocketCast app and will watch the movie in the near future.
No problem. I think simplicity is a huge topic and I have a much better understanding and appreciation.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Saw the movie. Thought it was awful. One of many hipster Netflix documentaries.

Personally, I have no interest in living in a room with a lawn chair, a plant, a pillow and enough clothes to fill a small backpack.

Things should be as simple as they need to be, not as simple as possible. I’m a big fan of balance, not simplicity.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I am trying to declutter my home which is 995 sq ft.

List of thing to donate

Old clothes
Household kitchen item never used.
Nick nacks I don’t like
Set of Christmas dishes I no longer need.
Christmas tree
Cross country skis from the 1990’s
Cabinet for vhs tapese

Things to sell

Kitchen counter stools
AV RECEIVER
vacuum I don’t like
Books and dvds no longer interested in.
Older computers
Computer desk and matching shelving

I am trying to resist buying new things like an air fryer, a newer tv, corresponding blu ray player.

My financial life is simple. I have retirement accounts, two credit cards, one checking and a money market paying 2+%.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

anoop wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:45 am Simplified financial life -- about 7 accounts now down to just 2. Here's my thread.
viewtopic.php?t=244237
I might be giving up some returns but I find the simplicity more than worth it.

In other parts of life, minimize clutter following the principle of joy from Marie Kondo.
https://www.marthastewart.com/1106009/k ... ing-method
Keep only what "sparks joy," discard everything else, and assign a home for everything within your home.
Financially we learned this as well - reducing the number of accounts. That has helped a lot over the years.
Kaktus

Post by Kaktus »

I liked the movie a lot. That it is poosible to feel more focused and on top of things (!) by cutting down on your consumption. My main take away though was how the massive marketing around us affects our wants and thoughts. Nothing new with that obviously but well updated for todays society, for example how the marketing machinery's attention is moving towards the kids.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Jamie Oliver has a new cookbook out called 5 Ingredients. We've tried a couple of them and they were surprisingly good considering how few ingredients were used.

Chef Jamie Oliver's new cookbook highlights simple dishes that can be prepared with five ingredients.
Oliver told "GMA" he focuses on "keeping it short and keeping the flavor big" in his recipes for this cookbook. "That has been the phenomenon."

Link to GMA article --- https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/food ... r-60214810

All the Season 1 (show on PBS) recipes are available for free at this link --- https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/cat ... d-recipes/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

My thoughts: Simplicity in investing is a worthy goal. Simplicity in life is boring.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

I don't know that I'll watch it, but the title on Netflix is Minimalism, not The Minimalists.

I taught Thoreau for 22 years, and it was easy to understand why he angered his neighbors, whom he regarded as proto-zombies.

He did have a way with words, though. My favorite quote: "What everybody echoes or in silence passes by as true today may turn out to be falsehood tomorrow, mere smoke of opinion, which some had trusted for a cloud that would sprinkle fertilizing rain on their fields."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Simplicity ["Minimalism” Movie on Netflix]

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Thanks, I fixed the thread title. The OP can change the title further by editing the Subject: line in Post #1.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:19 am Saw the movie. Thought it was awful. One of many hipster Netflix documentaries.

Personally, I have no interest in living in a room with a lawn chair, a plant, a pillow and enough clothes to fill a small backpack.

Things should be as simple as they need to be, not as simple as possible. I’m a big fan of balance, not simplicity.
I haven't watched the movie but I agree with Jags-balance is key. I have been working on decluttering and recently I read
"Outer Order Inner Calm" by Gretchen Rubin

If you like the KonMari method, "Outer Order, Inner Calm" is a great companion book. Both Marie Kondo and Gretchen Rubin agree that the goal is happiness!

I recommend "Outer Order, Inner Calm" if you like Marie Kondo but need more concrete and varied ideas on how to declutter.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Financially we have cleaned up and consolidated a lot. Closed accounts and paperless everywhere. While I believe we can not do much more I know things always evolve and change. Should only get easier as years go on.

Non-financially we have been organizing and de-cluttering little by little. Over time things have become organized, less stress, and easier to maintain.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We have tried to teach our young children the many benefits of simplicity.
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

Several years ago my wife and I visited some friends who have moved back to California for retirement. They had built a new Multi million dollar Oceanside home near Newport Beach.

What struck me was how the interior was decorated in some sort of Asian minimalist style. Very clean and very organized with minimal furnishings and artwork. Bottom line, they had very nice things in their home but it was not cluttered at all.

So, our moderately wealthy friends had an expensive home, but very minimally decorated....That opened our eyes, and when we returned home, we immediately started to de clutter. We are much happier now and have all that we need but the clutter is all gone. We also decluttered our finances and are much happier and organized now...

We also saw the documentary on Netflix after our decluttering project....I think it just plants a seed to think about how much “stuff” we really need...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

My dad liked an uncluttered home and I take after him. He always liked saying "A place for everything, and everything in its place." When my home has too many items in it I start feeling anxious until I remove the clutter.

Lately I have been evaluating how I will repair/dispose of things I buy after its useful life is over. I wish companies would take back and recycle items they sell that break or stop working. For example I have a Dyson vaccuum that lasted over a decade before it stopped working and I wish I could send it back to Dyson (at my expense even) for them to recycle. This thought process has led me to purchase less stuff. I already try to buy used before new, all of my clothing (other than underwear) comes from thrift stores.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
anoop

Post by anoop »

Elsebet wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:28 pm My dad liked an uncluttered home and I take after him. He always liked saying "A place for everything, and everything in its place." When my home has too many items in it I start feeling anxious until I remove the clutter.

Lately I have been evaluating how I will repair/dispose of things I buy after its useful life is over. I wish companies would take back and recycle items they sell that break or stop working. For example I have a Dyson vaccuum that lasted over a decade before it stopped working and I wish I could send it back to Dyson (at my expense even) for them to recycle. This thought process has led me to purchase less stuff. I already try to buy used before new, all of my clothing (other than underwear) comes from thrift stores.
You can take old clothes to H&M stores for recycling. If I recall correctly, they started doing this as a part of expressing responsibility after they were dinged by environmentalists for fast fashion.

In general, many companies do take stuff back for recycling (esp computer and electronics stuff).

Unfortunately, this is more of a feel-good type activity because not everything intended for recycling is/can be recycled.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/envir ... eality.htm

Even in the H&M case, even though they accept all fabrics, its unlikely many of the blended ones can actually be recycled.
https://qz.com/662031/is-hm-misleading- ... inability/

Living a minimalist lifestyle can be a painful way to live if you're surrounded by people who are consumers and think that something is wrong with you because of your minimalist approach to life. I've always been a minimalist but because of health issues I became somewhat dependent on others for a little bit and it's been a very trying time for me. They blame my illness on my minimalism -- "you don't know how to have fun!" they say.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

Elsebet wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:28 pm My dad liked an uncluttered home and I take after him. He always liked saying "A place for everything, and everything in its place." When my home has too many items in it I start feeling anxious until I remove the clutter.

Don't know your living situation; around here there's lots of people who would pick up a free Dyson from the curb to tinker on.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I was thinking of becoming a minimalist, but didn’t want to change my wardroad to all black T-shirt’s and jeans. Lol.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Calli114 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Don't know your living situation; around here there's lots of people who would pick up a free Dyson from the curb to tinker on.
A mom and pop vacuum store (increasingly rare) may be interested in it for parts.

Otherwise look for a materials recovery facility that takes apart these things for recycling.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

When you have to pack up all the stuff of your family of four into 4 check-in luggage and 8 hand-carry luggage and then move halfway around the world to another country, you will learn to only keep the essential stuff. And, just to make sure that you learned the lesson, do this twice.

I did that. It worked.

The lesson that I learned was: a home is where your family is. It has nothing to do with any house.

KlangFool
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Sorry, no advice from me. I don't understand the thinking at all.

DW and I live in a 4,000+ square foot house, and every room is filled. Literally, no room for anything else!

About a third is used to store inventory for her ebay business (nice tax write off).

The only downsides for us are it's tough to clean it all, and it's really easy to lose things.

But no stress. I guess that's the part I don't understand.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
Rajsx

Post by Rajsx »

We did the Marie Kondo (Kondoing) to our house. I found duplicates of a few things I had to buy again as I could not find the first one.

I will try to see this movie on Netflix, more so with DW. Clutter makes me feel stressed.

Thanks for a informative & helpful thread to follow.
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:31 am I am trying to declutter my home which is 995 sq ft.

List of thing to donate

Old clothes
Household kitchen item never used.
Nick nacks I don’t like
Set of Christmas dishes I no longer need.
Christmas tree
Cross country skis from the 1990’s
Cabinet for vhs tapese

Things to sell

Kitchen counter stools
AV RECEIVER
vacuum I don’t like
Books and dvds no longer interested in.
Older computers
Computer desk and matching shelving

I am trying to resist buying new things like an air fryer, a newer tv, corresponding blu ray player.

My financial life is simple. I have retirement accounts, two credit cards, one checking and a money market paying 2+%.
The "air fryer" will save you time and waste. DW and I thought it was gimmicky. Now, we make dinner in it nearly every night.
The "air fryer" is very "boglehead".
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:26 pm OP,

When you have to pack up all the stuff of your family of four into 4 check-in luggage and 8 hand-carry luggage and then move halfway around the world to another country, you will learn to only keep the essential stuff. And, just to make sure that you learned the lesson, do this twice.

I did that. It worked.

The lesson that I learned was: a home is where your family is. It has nothing to do with any house.

KlangFool
Excellent advice and very true.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Rajsx wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:03 pm Clutter makes me feel stressed.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Good thoughts Bogleheads! Please keep them coming.
lws

Post by lws »

Sometimes my neighbor's garage door is left open. No comment.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

Caduceus wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:51 am I know this because I've moved twice now so I had to inventory everything.
I’ve moved about fifteen times, and I’ve never inventoried anything. As KlangFool said, moving is an excellent opportunity to filter. When I was a kid my mother and I once ended up packing and loading the truck by ourselves, and the trash pile was closer to the door than the truck, so....

I thought the movie was repetitive, and not that enlightening, and the two guys were idiots. Mr “I’m a hugger” was straight creepy, Swedish Death Cleaning is a fun book. I enjoy Marie Kondo, but we have several thousand books, so I’m going to skip putting them all on the living room floor. We treat decluttering as an ongoing process just like cleaning, and are better than average at not acquiring things in the first place (other than books).

Financially, we have a six-fund Vanguard portfolio with tilts, with a simple, written IPS, and a small tracking spreadsheet that I look at maybe once a year for rebalancing. I track monthly credit card totals, and the balance in our joint checking/EF account. Our savings are in autopilot. We don’t budget, save our medical receipts, have a retirement number, estimate real stock and bond returns for the next 30 years, or worry about our dry cleaner closing.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I did that. It worked.

KlangFool
Yeah a cross-country moved changed my view of "stuff" as well. I had no problem getting rid of things.

But my wife went the other way! Once we found a house she spent months looking through antique stores and knick-knack shops. Our house is pretty well decorated now but I know she's not done :|
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:36 am

I did that. It worked.

KlangFool
Yeah a cross-country moved changed my view of "stuff" as well. I had no problem getting rid of things.

But my wife went the other way! Once we found a house she spent months looking through antique stores and knick-knack shops. Our house is pretty well decorated now but I know she's not done :|
sunny_socal,

There is an easy fix.

A) Move to a smaller house.

B) Time to move across the country again.

KlangFool
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:36 am
This is so going to be me when we buy our apartment. 8-) I don't mind living with one fork and one spoon and one bowl, but I like having a homey, cosy space and I love antiques and collectibles, even though I don't buy many of them (maybe three a year).
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I've been decluttering in anticipation of a move. The biggest chore for me has been going through my old files. I go through each piece of paper, and scan what needs to be retained. I have a great scanner, but it is still incredibly time consuming to scan boxes and boxes of papers. But, I'm glad to be doing it because it makes no sense to be moving and storing all this paper.
sjt

Post by sjt »

anonenigma wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:57 am
He did have a way with words, though. My favorite quote: "What everybody echoes or in silence passes by as true today may turn out to be falsehood tomorrow, mere smoke of opinion, which some had trusted for a cloud that would sprinkle fertilizing rain on their fields."
I like: “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as savage tribes have left off eating each other when they came in contact with the more civilized.”
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Being able to discern the difference between wants vs needs.
It is ok to buy a "Want" as long as you realize "Needs" come first.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Smoke wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:03 am Being able to discern the difference between wants vs needs.
It is ok to buy a "Want" as long as you realize "Needs" come first.
Good point.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Hayden wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:54 am I've been decluttering in anticipation of a move. The biggest chore for me has been going through my old files. I go through each piece of paper, and scan what needs to be retained. I have a great scanner, but it is still incredibly time consuming to scan boxes and boxes of papers. But, I'm glad to be doing it because it makes no sense to be moving and storing all this paper.
Over the past couple of years we have gone to just about all paperless. Everything is stored in online accounts or the cloud. Minimal, if any paper files. We no longer print any financial statements of any kind.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:38 pm Abuss:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor -

In terms of simplicity, did you find yourself on a lifetime journey or a once a done situation. Was it an something that evolved over time? Did declutter and simplicity get easier with age?
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Continuing our journey of simplicity and decluterring we are working on the garage and basement. Table saw and Mitterbox saws that have not been used in a decade and no plans to ever use again. Tons of board games the kids no longer play.