WiFi speed, is this normal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
samtex

WiFi speed, is this normal?

Post by samtex » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 pm

I never felt I had a speed issue to speak of. No gamers here, no multiple streaming online content etc. The other night I noticed some intermittent buffering of a movie, so I thought I would do a little checking.

I have a cable Internet connection, rated supposedly at 100 Mbps. An Arris CM820A cable modem and an Asus N900 wireless router 802.11n,a/g,b
I checked the router and it's set on auto channel select and seems to be on an uncluttered channel, there are about 22 clients showing, all but 2 using WiFi. Most are IoT devices, a computer, laptop, dish network, phones etc. Only one client is using 5GHz (not a clue, maybe a IoT device)

At times I loose Internet connection but usually for a few seconds to a few minutes. I have never really had a chance to plug in my cable to the router to see if it's the cable company, modem or router. From my understanding my neighbors experience a similar issue occasionally as well. A cable tech told me they do updates and some repairs after midnight and that might be what I noticed, he also said a low signal strength could cause my service to drop at those times. The cable company wanted $95 to come out and check my signal strength, I didn't take them up on their kind offer. I did buy a new modem (about 1/3rd of the price of the service call) but since the frequency of the outages hasn't progressed, it's still in the box.

I checked my routers speed, it showed about 68-76 Mbps directly connected with a cable and 30-32 Mbps WiFi. That was while I was setting next to the router, as well as when I was in another part of the house. I also shut down most of the clients, none were actually being used and so no noticeable increase in speeds.change in speed. I need to try to check my speed next time I notice the buffering and see if it's very low. At 30 Mbps, it seems I shouldn't have an issue with just one streaming HD tv (not 4000). I could also run a cable from my router to the tv/cable/receiver switch box but I want to see if it's a reoccurring issue and see if the amount of WiFi speed drop is normal. Disregarding my initial concern about buffering, is that amount of speed drop normal?

Thanks to all. Samtex

unclescrooge

Re: WiFi speed, is this normal?

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:24 pm

I used to have a similar asus router with similar issues where my internet speed would drop down, or quit completely for several minutes. This happened quite frequently - several times a week. I work from home so it was quite annoying.

I upgraded to google wifi routers and it solved the problem.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:25 pm

samtex wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 pm
I never felt I had a speed issue to speak of. No gamers here, no multiple streaming online content etc. The other night I noticed some intermittent buffering of a movie, so I thought I would do a little checking.

I have a cable Internet connection, rated supposedly at 100 Mbps. An Arris CM820A cable modem and an Asus N900 wireless router 802.11n,a/g,b
I checked the router and it's set on auto channel select and seems to be on an uncluttered channel, there are about 22 clients showing, all but 2 using WiFi. Most are IoT devices, a computer, laptop, dish network, phones etc. Only one client is using 5GHz (not a clue, maybe a IoT device)

At times I loose Internet connection but usually for a few seconds to a few minutes. I have never really had a chance to plug in my cable to the router to see if it's the cable company, modem or router. From my understanding my neighbors experience a similar issue occasionally as well. A cable tech told me they do updates and some repairs after midnight and that might be what I noticed, he also said a low signal strength could cause my service to drop at those times. The cable company wanted $95 to come out and check my signal strength, I didn't take them up on their kind offer. I did buy a new modem (about 1/3rd of the price of the service call) but since the frequency of the outages hasn't progressed, it's still in the box.

I checked my routers speed, it showed about 68-76 Mbps directly connected with a cable and 30-32 Mbps WiFi. That was while I was setting next to the router, as well as when I was in another part of the house. I also shut down most of the clients, none were actually being used and so no noticeable increase in speeds.change in speed. I need to try to check my speed next time I notice the buffering and see if it's very low. At 30 Mbps, it seems I shouldn't have an issue with just one streaming HD tv (not 4000). I could also run a cable from my router to the tv/cable/receiver switch box but I want to see if it's a reoccurring issue and see if the amount of WiFi speed drop is normal. Disregarding my initial concern about buffering, is that amount of speed drop normal?

Thanks to all. Samtex
That is what I used to see as well, with Verizon provided router. I have moved away from that and use mesh network now, and speeds are much more consistent, less dropped internet connections and a much nicer experience. I have wondered if internet providers are in cahoots with mesh providers, or their own products that provide "enhanced" internet speeds with consistent internet access, because in the same house with exact same setup I was totally happy with the same service around 3-4 years ago.

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:36 pm

I've experienced the same issues with various routers over the years. Upgraded to Eero mesh gen 1 and now gen 2 and have never experienced the problem. Direct connection on Cox with recommended Arris Surfboard gets me more than my speed of 300 MB sometimes; Wifi generally well over 250 MB or so anywhere in the house with 3 additional "beacons." Mesh is superb.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:46 pm

Your problem is almost certainly with the wifi, not the cable modem. For one, your router is fairly old - it only supports up to the 802.11n standard rather than the newest, 802.11ac, which has the best range and reliability.

One thing you might try, especially if the router is not far away from where you're using the internet, is to set up separate SSIDs (network names) for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands (e.g., name them Mywifi_2.4 and Mywifi_5, and connect to the latter on any device that supports it). Asus routers support this but it may or may not be turned on. 802.11n works on both bands, but the 5 GHz band is less crowded and almost always gives a more reliable connection. If your wifi has the same SSID on both bands, the device will choose, and it will often choose 2.4 even though 5 would be better.

Also try a different placement for your router - generally the higher the better, and without obstructions in the vicinity (especially anything metallic).

If that doesn't improve things, I'd suggest upgrading to a 802.11ac router or mesh, like Google Wifi, Eero, Netgear Orbi, or Unifi Amplifi. Note that your client device, i.e. your laptop/smartphone/whatever must also support ac to take advantage of the higher range and speed.

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:04 pm

Intermittent buffering of a movie could also be due to slowness on the host side (the streaming server) or congestion anywhere in the internet between the streaming service and you. Anecdotally, I often saw this on Netflix when I had CenturyLink as my ISP, even though a speed test showed 10 times the bandwidth needed for streaming. The problem disappeared when I changed internet providers.

Short form: it's a very long chain and there could be a weak link almost anywhere.

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Once you determine if your signal is good and all your hardware is working as it should and you are still having buffering issues try this: Unplug your modem and router. Wait a couple minutes and then plug in your modem. Then wait another couple minutes and plug in your router. Then, if that fixes things on a consistent basis you may have the some problem I did. I have had no issues for over a year and a half since installing a cheap device that resets both devices every night. Netreset is what it is called. https://www.amazon.com/NetReset-NR-1000 ... B01FY1PFLS

edge

Post by edge » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:38 pm

My house is too large for a single AP. Once I got a second unit from Verizon and placed it on the opposite side of the house things worked.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:39 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:24 pm
I used to have a similar asus router with similar issues where my internet speed would drop down, or quit completely for several minutes. This happened quite frequently - several times a week. I work from home so it was quite annoying.

Timely post OP - I have the same issue. My question is if using a Verizon modem that has a coax cable screwed into it, what do you use to convert the ISP signal to the Google WiFi? The Google wifi only has Ethernet ports. Any ideas?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:45 pm

The cable company should not be charging you anything to at least come check the signal strength on the wire up to the point that their cable comes from the street into your house. Legally that is their responsibilty. Any wiring in the house is yours.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:39 pm
unclescrooge wrote:

Timely post OP - I have the same issue. My question is if using a Verizon modem that has a coax cable screwed into it, what do you use to convert the ISP signal to the Google WiFi? The Google wifi only has Ethernet ports. Any ideas?
Cable modems should always have one ethernet port somewhere precisely for that reason. Even combined all in one modem-wifi router from the cable company has wired outputs.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:00 pm

mtwhmemn wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:52 pm
Once you determine if your signal is good and all your hardware is working as it should and you are still having buffering issues try this: Unplug your modem and router. Wait a couple minutes and then plug in your modem. Then wait another couple minutes and plug in your router. Then, if that fixes things on a consistent basis you may have the some problem I did. I have had no issues for over a year and a half since installing a cheap device that resets both devices every night. Netreset is what it is called. https://www.amazon.com/NetReset-NR-1000 ... B01FY1PFLS

Very interesting, will look into this. For over year now I have had an issue where my wifi occasionally goes out and will not come back until I reset. The wired devices connected to it dont miss a beat as far as I can tell, or if they do, the connections are restored like you would expect if power or cable co glitch. It still happens after I changed out router for a newer one, different brand even. Clear wifi channel. Dont hear UPS go off. Baffling. Home security system has cellular backup, but not the security cameras.
This might solve my problem... At least I could go on vacation and not have cameras down for multiple days.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:00 pm

mtwhmemn wrote:

Very interesting, will look into this. For over year now I have had an issue where my wifi occasionally goes out and will not come back until I reset. The wired devices connected to it dont miss a beat as far as I can tell, or if they do, the connections are restored like you would expect if power or cable co glitch. It still happens after I changed out router for a newer one, different brand even. Clear wifi channel. Dont hear UPS go off. Baffling. Home security system has cellular backup, but not the security cameras.
This might solve my problem... At least I could go on vacation and not have cameras down for multiple days.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:02 pm

How long has this router been in service?
Run a direct ethernet cable from the router to the TV setup, it's always best.
If the router is older 3+ yrs in service your wifi could be getting flaky in the router.
Or it could be your provider, the host site, time of day (everyone is home in the neighborhood and online and streaming etc.)

That router is an older model, but if new it should perform with no issues at all streaming.
Unless it's a lemon.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Upgrade your modem minimum docsis 3.1 8 channel and AC router.

I paid 200 mbps and get a little over 200 mbps next to the router, testing it by going to fast.com

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:18 pm

rj342 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:00 pm
mtwhmemn wrote:
I had the same issue at a vacation home. Lost my security camera until I could get back there and reset. A lamp timer that reset everything every night helped. Resetting in the proper order and with the pause between has been my long term solution.

daektr

Post by daektr » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:20 pm

How many other wifi networks are around to potentially cause interference? For example, do you live in an apartment complex or a single-family house? Unless there is interference (such as from other wifi), wifi is normally reliable (like, reliably good or reliably bad depending upon how far you are from the router) in my experience --- not withstanding poor quality wifi routers crashing and needing to be rebooted - but you can normally spot this by noticing that power cycling the router immediately fixes the problem.

On the other hand, I've had some awful experiences with cable connections - originally the cable modem in my house was plugged in downstream of a powered repeater and the signal was weak - sometimes the internet would be great and sometimes it'd just drop out and not reconnect for an hour or two.

Normally the cable administrative webpage can tell you how strong the signal is and you can see if it is strong / noisy or not. Try to get the modem as close to the house ingest as possible (ie, avoiding splitters / repeaters / etc) -- this could help.

The upgraded wifi routers folks are suggesting will only help if it is your wifi that is slow (due to distance or interference) - so I suggest trying to work that out before buying anything.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Also, if you do get a wifi repeater because router at one end of the means weak signal at other, DON'T put repeater at far end... it needs to in the middle where main signal is still pretty good.

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:12 pm

Lots of good information. I got sidetracked today, sorry for the delay. I'll respond with some additional information when I get a break.

Thanks again,

Samtex

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

All cable modems have an Ethernet Port. If not, buy your own.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 am

unclescrooge wrote:

+1 They just work. I've had mine for two years and never a problem. Combined with our Fios service, no issues whatsoever

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:02 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:12 pm
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

Let me clarify, I'm not technically literate as well versed as I am in financial matters, so bear with me. I have a Verizon modem that has a coax input to take the FIOS signal and a series of Ethernet ports (4 of them), one of the Ethernet ports is plugged into my computer. If I buy a Google Wifi unit, can I plug into the cable modem with it and then place the other Google Wifi units around the various places in the home?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:51 pm

OK, I just lost a reply after about 30 minutes composing it. :oops:

Here is a shortened version...

I like the Google mesh system but I have never had an issue using a single router in my home, as far as distance issues. I also need more LAN ports, which I suppose I would need to add a GIG switch? The setup appears to be idiot proof which is nice but it does lack some controls. One odd issue as I understand, is that you can't select 4.2 GHz or 5 GHz for a device, is that correct? Another issue is in a smart home, how much of a concern is this issue?[NAT, DMZ, bridge??] (beyond my understanding)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B01MAW2294

I assume I would need two Wifi points with the Google, going by their estimation for a 2000 sq ft home. So, will it be a traditional wireless router or two Google mesh wifi points?

Samtex

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:59 pm

If you like the Google WiFi system but want more control, take a look at Uniti Networks’ Amplifi Instant, $180 for pack of 2. It will for example let you create separate SSIDs for the two bands. Uniti makes excellent hardware.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:05 pm

Have you tried a different computer to see if it also has a problem?

It could be a problem with the computer hardware or software. I had a vaguely similar problem with an older WiFi router so I replaced the router. That did not solve the problem.

What it turned out to be was that the Wifi on my laptop was failing.

I ended up just getting an inexpensive USB WiFi adapter that plugs into my laptop and it works fine with that once I figured out how to turn off the built in WiFi.

bampf

Post by bampf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:34 pm

telemark wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:04 pm
Intermittent buffering of a movie could also be due to slowness on the host side (the streaming server) or congestion anywhere in the internet between the streaming service and you. Anecdotally, I often saw this on Netflix when I had CenturyLink as my ISP, even though a speed test showed 10 times the bandwidth needed for streaming. The problem disappeared when I changed internet providers.

Short form: it's a very long chain and there could be a weak link almost anywhere.
^^^This.

bampf

Post by bampf » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:41 pm

samtex wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:51 pm
OK, I just lost a reply after about 30 minutes composing it. :oops:

Here is a shortened version...

I like the Google mesh system but I have never had an issue using a single router in my home, as far as distance issues. I also need more LAN ports, which I suppose I would need to add a GIG switch? The setup appears to be idiot proof which is nice but it does lack some controls. One odd issue as I understand, is that you can't select 4.2 GHz or 5 GHz for a device, is that correct? Another issue is in a smart home, how much of a concern is this issue?[NAT, DMZ, bridge??] (beyond my understanding)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B01MAW2294

I assume I would need two Wifi points with the Google, going by their estimation for a 2000 sq ft home. So, will it be a traditional wireless router or two Google mesh wifi points?

Samtex
I have all three (traditional wireless router, eero and google mesh). I don't use the traditional wireless routers anymore. Not robust enough for my needs and honestly pretty flakey. I think I like the google mesh system the best, although I was an early adopter of eero. I suffered through some of their growing pains and it frustrated me so I got the google devices. Now they both are apparently stable and robust. They run speed checks regularly and it tracks speed on the daily. Very useful if you have problems. Its also easy to check instantly since it is on my phone. I can tell quickly where the problems are (my network or beyond). In terms of selecting 2.4 vs 5 GHz, I think it auto discovers on G-mesh and sorts it for you. Another nice thing is that g-mesh shows me how much each device is using right now. If there is a bandwidth pig I can tell immediately.

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:58 pm

Watty wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:05 pm
Have you tried a different computer to see if it also has a problem?

It could be a problem with the computer hardware or software. I had a vaguely similar problem with an older WiFi router so I replaced the router. That did not solve the problem.

What it turned out to be was that the Wifi on my laptop was failing.

I ended up just getting an inexpensive USB WiFi adapter that plugs into my laptop and it works fine with that once I figured out how to turn off the built in WiFi.
We have Amazon Echo's through the house. When I have an issue, I just say "Alexa" to see if they have lost connection. Easy way to check.

Samtex

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:03 pm

bampf wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:34 pm
telemark wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:04 pm

^^^This.
Although the buffering got me interested in this, it's has been a big issue overall. That's what got me checking the speed of the WiFi compared to a direct cable. The more aggravating thing is when the Internet drops for a minute or so.

Samtex

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:11 pm

samtex wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Samtex
Costco sells a four pack. If you don't need the third one, give it to a relative. That's what we did for our 2200 sq ft house since we only needed two. The other two went to our parents.

Topic Author
samtex

Post by samtex » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:19 pm

daektr wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:20 pm
How many other wifi networks are around to potentially cause interference? For example, do you live in an apartment complex or a single-family house? Unless there is interference (such as from other wifi), wifi is normally reliable (like, reliably good or reliably bad depending upon how far you are from the router) in my experience --- not withstanding poor quality wifi routers crashing and needing to be rebooted - but you can normally spot this by noticing that power cycling the router immediately fixes the problem.

On the other hand, I've had some awful experiences with cable connections - originally the cable modem in my house was plugged in downstream of a powered repeater and the signal was weak - sometimes the internet would be great and sometimes it'd just drop out and not reconnect for an hour or two.

Normally the cable administrative webpage can tell you how strong the signal is and you can see if it is strong / noisy or not. Try to get the modem as close to the house ingest as possible (ie, avoiding splitters / repeaters / etc) -- this could help.

The upgraded wifi routers folks are suggesting will only help if it is your wifi that is slow (due to distance or interference) - so I suggest trying to work that out before buying anything.
Very few other WiFi's appear (3-4?) when I check. Also, the Asus router is set on auto channel select. Every time I have checked I don't see a conflict with others. as far as slow, when I connect directly with a cable, the speed doubles, so I am guessing it's just a Wifi issue as far as speed. Of course when I loose a connection, it could be the cable company. There doesn't appear to have any splinters between the house outside connection and the modem.

Samtex

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:02 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

Let me clarify, I'm not technically literate as well versed as I am in financial matters, so bear with me. I have a Verizon modem that has a coax input to take the FIOS signal and a series of Ethernet ports (4 of them), one of the Ethernet ports is plugged into my computer. If I buy a Google Wifi unit, can I plug into the cable modem with it and then place the other Google Wifi units around the various places in the home?
Your modem will have an Ethernet Port called WAN, which stands for wide area network. (As opposed to LAN, or local area network).

Connect your router to the modem's WAN port. If the router has a WAN port, use that. The desktop is them connected to the routers LAN port.

For Google WiFi, the port with a globe symbol is your WAN port, the other one is LAN.

Hope this makes sense!

Gray

Post by Gray » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:11 pm

I got rid of my FIOS router and bought 4 ASUS RTAC86U devices connected via Ethernet backhaul as a mesh network with security and QoS features enabled. My iPhone 6s just tested 387Mbps down and 479 up.

I run an isolated 2.4 GHz guest network off the base station for certain IoT devices like lights, thermostats.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:19 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:02 pm
unclescrooge wrote:
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:

Your modem will have an Ethernet Port called WAN, which stands for wide area network. (As opposed to LAN, or local area network).

Connect your router to the modem's WAN port. If the router has a WAN port, use that. The desktop is them connected to the routers LAN port.

For Google WiFi, the port with a globe symbol is your WAN port, the other one is LAN.

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks so much!

BrendanP

Post by BrendanP » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:21 pm

Another suggestion.

Make sure that the wires, especially the coaxial aren't bent too much or damaged.
I think that this can cause connectivity issues.

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:41 pm

samtex wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks to all. Samtex
My cable speed drops maybe 20% at peak times (5pm-11pm) so a little drop is normal I think.
Occasionally I have to change the wifi channel when a new neighbor moves in. I never use autoselect as it just seem to pick the default and most crowded channel. I use an iphone app to see the various wifi broadcasts in my area and pick the best channel from that.
My ISP's app will tell me exactly when there is an outage/maintenance and test my connection at their end (eliminates that possibility).
My arris modem has never ever hiccuped even once in appox 7 years I think. Not once.
My wifi router needs resetting about once per year. It is a cheapo linksys/cisco. Never saw the need to get a better one. I get ~30 mbps over wifi pretty much all the time and wire everything critical so my speeds are pretty close to yours. 802.11n might get you faster if your device supports it (mine don't) but who cares. If you have only one device, why the heck would you need more than 30mbps.

9liner

Post by 9liner » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:48 pm

I strongly recommend going to a WiFi mesh system. There are many out there and they are getting more affordable by the day. I have Verizon FiOS 100/100 service with a Netgear Orbi Mesh system and regularly exceed the max speed when conducting speed tests. I also recommend wired connections whenever possible as it provides the fastest and most reliable connection.