Alfa Romeo Giulia thoughts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Restless

Alfa Romeo Giulia thoughts

Post by Restless » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:27 pm

My niece is considering getting a new Alfa Romeo Giulia (leaning toward Quadrifoglio). The car has received glowing reviews from the motoring press on performance and driving pleasure, as well as knocks on reliability issues. This is all very familiar as this is consistent with Alfa's history. The car was introduced in the U.S. about two years ago; I'm hoping some of the issues experienced with the first-year models have been resolved, and the car is worthy of consideration as daily transportation. But, to be clear, I still expect this car to have more issues than most cars on the market.

I'm interested in hearing any personal experience with the Giulia, particularly the Quadrifoglio. If you own(ed)/lease(d) the car, do you have any regrets and would you do it again? Thanks for sharing any thoughts.

dsmclone

Re: Alfa Romeo Giulia thoughts

Post by dsmclone » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:29 pm

Forget if it's Car & Driver or Motor Trend that had a long term review but it was embarrassingly unreliable.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 pm

"But it wasn't the pricey spark plugs or the short-lived tires that bothered us the most. It was the absurd frequency and duration of the Giulia's stays at the dealership. During its 14 months with us, the Giulia spent 80 days out of commission. That's unforgivable. We went from recommending that people buy Giulia QFs to recommending that they lease Giulia QFs to recommending that they stay away from Giulia QFs altogether."

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:40 pm

I recall a couple motoring reviewers indicating the Giulia had signficant reliability issues during the test drive!

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:46 pm

There are just too many other good options out there without the reliability concerns to make the Alfa a reasonable choice.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Agreed with the above. A 2.9L V6 making 505hp is a thing of wonder indeed. But I can't stomach paying well north of $70k for a car that spends 2+ months per year in the shop.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 pm

I would love to own a Giulia Quadropleggio with the EU version manual transmission. But alas, I would not tolerate well the improved features over my old 70's mechanical injection Spiders like the electronic anti-drive stopping, whereby, I'd drive carelessly on the beautiful, curvy open back country road and the car simply stops running. I mean come on.....for eighty grand, you expect the car to run?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:21 pm

Beautiful car. I would love to own one.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:28 pm

Restless wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:27 pm
The car was introduced in the U.S. about two years ago; I'm hoping some of the issues experienced with the first-year models have been resolved, and the car is worthy of consideration as daily transportation.
That might be a reasonable hope with most brands, but it's not of an Italian car.

I'd look at the extremely competent but slightly bland Audi A4 or the redesigned and excellent BMW 3 Series. The (Hyundai) Genesis G70 is worth a look, too. Heck, I'd probably just get a Tesla Model 3. Once you've experienced the smoothness, quietness, and acceleration of an electric, ICE cars just seem so 20th century.

avecmoi

Post by avecmoi » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:32 pm

I second the motion to try the model 3 performance. I only have the dual motor and it makes my commute so fun.

sg13

Post by sg13 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:35 pm

If decent power is desired, look at the new BMW 340i and if needed x drive.

Better brand, reliability and most importantly service support!

Cheers!

anoop

Post by anoop » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:18 am

This is probably the wrong forum to ask about the Alfa QV.

Try here instead:
https://www.giuliaforums.com/forums/alf ... oglio.481/

I am envious of anyone that can afford one of these.

edge

Post by edge » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:17 am

Co-worker has one (top trim / engine version). Needed an entirely new engine in less then a year, obviously under warranty.

Lease, don’t buy.

I am looking at an m340i or less likely c43.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:10 am

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 pm
Agreed with the above. A 2.9L V6 making 505hp is a thing of wonder indeed. But I can't stomach paying well north of $70k for a car that spends 2+ months per year in the shop.
I think that’s a bit unfair. The long term review everyone is referring to was a very early production car and many of the issues it experienced were ones that would not reasonably expected to suffer on a newer production car (I.e software since fixed). Additionally, the magazine left the car sitting in the shop when it was perfectly driveable on a few occasions.

Will a Giulia Quad be reliable compared to just about any other model? Almost certainly not. But 2 months out of the year in the shop is not likely. The non-quads are also proving to be reasonably reliable.

Biggest issue is going to be the frightful depreciation. The reputation has dragged used values way down, and I don’t see that abating any time soon.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:10 am

sg13 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:35 pm
If decent power is desired, look at the new BMW 340i and if needed x drive.

Better brand, reliability and most importantly service support!

Cheers!
I agree with that as regards the 'regular' Giulia at IIRC ~240hp so similar to 330i. But OP mentioned the Quadrifoglio at a little over 500hp so considerably beyond an M4 (no M3 model in production right now I believe, current generation M3 and 4 are basically the same car) let alone 340i. And the Q is the one which (short term :happy ) car reviewers have gone crazy about.

I see no reason to buy the standard Giulia. I considered the Quadrifoglio and M4 but got an M2 in 2018. That's somewhat cheaper and considerably less powerful than the other two so not really apples and apples. Against the Alfa were not only my expectation of reliability but the depreciation implication of everyone else thinking it would be unreliable as a used car. If it really turned out much more reliable than expected it would take years for that to soak into the market, and seems like it didn't anyway. Also I sat in one at the NY Auto Show and found the cabin and controls cheap looking/feeling compared to BMW. I wrote it off at that point and didn't bother to test drive. We drive the M2 at only around 1k mile per year rate most of the year locally, but then take it on road trips sometimes. The big one so far was ~5k mile west>east coast (after having it trucked from NJ to LA and flying to meet it). I'd have been slightly uneasy in any car on some of the extremely desolate roads we drove for example in NV and UT, where you don't see anyone else for sometimes a couple of hours. I can't see tolerating the stress of that in an Alpha-Romeo. :happy

In fairness one of the big US car magazines' long term test of the M2 wasn't that flattering either. I don't remember reliability problems but the stiff ride got to them and they just didn't seem to like it over time. I do like the car, though it can be trying on really poor roads, but fantastic 90% of the time on that long trip. For a softer daily driver, sure: regular 3 series is a fine car IMO. I like our 2015 F30 328i for local driving, Dinan Stage 1 tune gets the power to around 300 (from 240 stock) so I think I prefer it to the 6 cyl for the money, near 40 mpg highway (I get) is also nice on interstate type trips, though it can't compete with the M2 for fun on winding two lane roads.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:16 am

Kenkat wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:46 pm
There are just too many other good options out there without the reliability concerns to make the Alfa a reasonable choice.
I find it hilarious that one can get a reasonably reliable car with $5K but that this isn't a given with super expensive cars. How hard can it be to ensure it is also reliable when you're getting 6 figures for a car?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

ohai

Post by ohai » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am

I'd hesitate to take car magazine reviews at face value for this sort of car. Giulia even broke down in C&D's testing, but somehow it won against the other cars anyway. 10% of the time, you want a car that offers some compelling dynamic attributes. However, 90% of the time, you just want no drama.

EngineerEd

Post by EngineerEd » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am

The car and driver long-term (40k mile) review previously mentioned:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a2 ... ty-update/

Article Headline: "After 40,000 Miles with an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Our Heart Is Broken"

"We desperately hoped for this enthralling Italian sedan to succeed, but we were consistently disappointed by its unforgivable reliability issues."

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:23 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:16 am
Kenkat wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:46 pm
I find it hilarious that one can get a reasonably reliable car with $5K but that this isn't a given with super expensive cars. How hard can it be to ensure it is also reliable when you're getting 6 figures for a car?
The $5k car buyer probably can’t afford for his car to break down.

The $50k car buyer probably wouldn’t notice the difference (financially).

ohai

Post by ohai » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:17 am

You can get tons of unreliable 5k cars too...

Topic Author
Restless

Post by Restless » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks for all the comments thus far. Due to the very favorable reviews by the motoring press, I was intrigued by the Giulia as well, and thought about it as a replacement for my Audi S4. I checked it out at the NY auto show in 2018, and even went as far as paying a visit to my nearest dealer in NJ. I retired last year, and figured I would be the kind of person who would have the time and energy to deal with potential issues. But, before pushing the button for a test drive, I came to my senses and realized I didn't need to take on a burden I didn't need; my free time and peace of mind were more important.

I've shared the reliability concern with her, and advised her to expect issues (thanks for the link to the Giulia forum). My advice to her was - if reliability is a high priority, then think twice about the Giulia. She is also considering the BMW Gran Coupe, and I suggested adding Audi A5/S5 Sportback to the mix. In the end, it is her decision; but, if she chooses the Giulia, she knows what she's getting into.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:27 pm

It seems the base 2.0T Giulia is much more reliable compared to the fire breathing Quadrifoglio. Too bad about the reliability issues because nothing in this class even comes close to the joy of driving it. Even the base trim is so much fun.