Will Tall Fence Lessen Neighboring Dog Bark Noise?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Will Tall Fence Lessen Neighboring Dog Bark Noise?

Post by Kennedy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:49 pm

I am looking to buy a commercial lot. There is one in which I have some interest. However, when I walked the property (8 acres), 3 dogs rushed to the chain-link fence separating this lot from the adjacent property. (There is a home on that adjacent lot.)

For this particular business, I would have customers drive into the lot past the dogs and continue driving for approximately 100-150 feet to the location where my commercial operation would be located.

When I walked through the entry gate, the 3 dogs immediately ran to the chain link fence and barked aggressively. I could still hear them barking at a fairly loud level when I was at that point 100-150 feet away. I am concerned since due to the nature of my business, it would be negatively impacted if my customers could hear these dogs barking at this level when they are standing outside. (And, no, this is not a business associated with marijuana, as this was suggested in a response to my previous post.)

There is already a sparse line of trees separating "my" lot from that that houses the loud dogs. I'm wondering if the dogs would calm down sufficiently and/or the barking sound muffled enough If I were to install a six foot tall wooden fence (no gaps between the slats) at the property line. Any thoughts on this?

I can't locate my building site any further than the 100-150 feet distance from the entry way. Further, reporting the dogs' owner to the county/city would not be an option since I don't anticipate the barking would meet the local ordinance's time requirement as far as continuation of the barking.

doneat53

Re: Will Tall Fence Lessen Neighboring Dog Bark Noise?

Post by doneat53 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:51 pm

Might worsen it. My experience is if the dog can't see you they are more excitable.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:55 pm

A fence would not dampen the barking.

However, you cannot buy a lot that you will never have to listen to dogs. Even if there are no dogs next door when you buy the lot, the place might get sold to a dog owner, or the previous non-pet owner might get a dog.

I wouldn't be keen to purchase a property based on something as easily changeable as whether the neighbors have dogs.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 pm

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 pm

fortfun wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:00 pm
Maybe a 6' straw bale fence.
https://www.bendbulletin.com/news/14091 ... ocks-sound
Thank you for the link to this interesting article. I got all excited when I read the article. However, further online searching revealed research done in the UK on the sound blocking ability of straw bale walls. It had disappointing results. Too bad.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:10 pm

It won't. Down here in AZ, there are plenty of 6-foot, concrete walls. The dogs are just as loud and as someone else mentioned, bark even more, at every sound.

maroon

Post by maroon » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:44 pm

Nope! When I lived in town, my next-door neighbor's dog would bark whenever he heard me in my own back yard, even though he couldn't see me.
I'm glad I no longer live in that house.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 am

I own a dog who ignores other barking and aggressive dogs. Here is a suggestion that might work: Get a dog that is deaf and blind and likes to be outside. Install your dog next to the neighbor's fence where those dogs can bark. Make sure the neighbor's dogs do bark and hopefully 24/7. Or if you like get a mechanical stuffed dog or other device and make sure the offending dogs bark 24/7. See what happens.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 am
I own a dog who ignores other barking and aggressive dogs. Here is a suggestion that might work: Get a dog that is deaf and blind and likes to be outside. Install your dog next to the neighbor's fence where those dogs can bark. Make sure the neighbor's dogs do bark and hopefully 24/7. Or if you like get a mechanical stuffed dog or other device and make sure the offending dogs bark 24/7. See what happens.
Do the dogs bark themselves to sleep?

(I have cats so I really don’t know what will happen.)

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:48 am

The dogs might eventually become accustomed to the people and stop barking. When they opened a linear hiking park in my neighborhood, the dogs on the adjoining yards barked at every passerby. Now they never bark.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:51 am

Nope, won't work.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:55 am

Last resort would be to contact the dog owner and see if he'll do anything. If not, I'd pass buying the property and I'd tell your agent to tell the property owner why you passed on the property.

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am

You don't mention how much business your customers will do outside, if it's just walk from car to building and go inside may not bother them too much, but if you have product outside and they are looking at it, I would be bothered as the barking sometimes makes conversations more difficult.

Also, if they are little dogs running up to fence and barking to see who showed up, is different from a couple of German shepherds running up and barking aggressively while leaning on fence. The latter would put me off, since I'd worry about them finding a way around fence (I've been 'nipped' on my hand by my neighbors german shepard).
Last edited by Jazzysoon on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am

Regardless of whether a solid tall fence quenches the dog barking, customers and staff of your business will have a higher comfort level is the dogs are not visible. It would be a good idea to have a tall solid fence and also landscaping, various sizes of evergreens, to give it some thickness visually. I would create some kind of barrier like this and forget about what can be done about the dogs. Eventually they will get old. And, if lucky, once your barrier is there, and there's more trafic in the area, they will tire of barking, maybe not, doesn't matter.
Your solid fence also keeps your customer's and staff's family or visitors safe. Perhaps someone wants to stick their hand through the fence and pet the cute dog, or feed the dogs (worse).

This strategy would be the same no matter what annoyance the adjacent property had. IE: dogs, low income housing, industrial shop, etc.

Make it look nice. Plan for minimal upkeep. It will improve your property value.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:11 am

Not likely, but the cost of building one might increase your annoyance.

Tim

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 am

The OP stated that the customers would be disturbed if they could hear the dogs when they are standing outside. Let's take that statement at face value.

If hearing dogs is objectionable, the OP would be well advised to purchase property surrounded on all sides by other commerical (not residential) property, as any residential property might house barking dogs at some point.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:15 am

I doubt any kind of fence will lessen the dogs barking.

The question, I think, is whether a fence will be better for your customers in that they only hear - not see the dogs.

I think I would walk away from this - getting/keeping customers is tough enough for businesses - even without a dog issue!

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:52 am

I would walk away from this one. Seems like the dogs have an established pattern of behavior (territorial barking) that will be hard to break.

However if you decide to go ahead and buy the property you might want to look into buying a device that discourages barking. Here is one for example, works on the neighbors two dogs, not nearly as noisy as they once were. It also gives you an option if the neighbors are not inclined to help curb the barking.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Repel ... op?ie=UTF8

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Info_Hound wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:52 am
I would walk away from this one. Seems like the dogs have an established pattern of behavior (territorial barking) that will be hard to break.

However if you decide to go ahead and buy the property you might want to look into buying a device that discourages barking. Here is one for example, works on the neighbors two dogs, not nearly as noisy as they once were. It also gives you an option if the neighbors are not inclined to help curb the barking.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Repel ... op?ie=UTF8
Interesting... I have a neighbor I may give one of them.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:22 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:15 am
I doubt any kind of fence will lessen the dogs barking.

The question, I think, is whether a fence will be better for your customers in that they only hear - not see the dogs.

I think I would walk away from this - getting/keeping customers is tough enough for businesses - even without a dog issue!
I think a really sturdy wall such as concrete would alleviate the negative experience for your customers. It won't stop the barking or reduce the noise a lot.

I think the decision whether or not to find a different location depends on what the business is. Selling landscaping supplies out of this site might be less problematic than running a boutique spa.

Also, people move and dogs are not forever.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:26 pm

> I would walk away from this one.

Yes. UNLESS the business is truly unique, or unless the customers are, say, construction workers not easily intimidated.

And even construction workers might have a dog in the truck...and wouldn't appreciate getting Buddy all excited.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:30 pm

I suppose one possible business "benefit" for you is that the barking dogs may be a deterrent to folks breaking into your business. :twisted:

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:34 pm

This might be more effective (and cheaper) than a tall fence:

https://www.amazon.com/Modus-Ultrasonic ... 180&sr=1-4

jhawktx

Post by jhawktx » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Cocoa powder

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Not a dog owner, but would the dogs and/or the owner eventually get tired of the ruckus?

Whether to walk away from this would presumably depend on how difficult it would be for the OP to find an alternative location that is better suited.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:24 pm

jhawktx wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:41 pm
Cocoa powder
That would just blow away in the wind. Big bars of chocolate are more effective :mrgreen:

finfire

Post by finfire » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:35 pm

A friend engineered a fence using concrete boards and noise-reduction materials. He implemented it at his business, to protect the neighbor's from noise from his business.

While this will not stop the dogs, it may lessen the nuisance.

four7s

Post by four7s » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Don't buy there. You'll be a nervous wreck waiting and hoping for these dogs to change their protective nature. Spoiler alert: They never will.

rgarling

Post by rgarling » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:49 pm

It appears there are commercial products available that will help: www.acoustiblok.com

They quote a 28db reduction through the material.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:54 pm

The dogs were there first. Let them be. Don't be the new business owner that asks neighboring residents to change their lifestyle to fit your business needs.

Point

Post by Point » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:55 pm

You’re trying to solve a people problem. Talk to the owners, get to know them.

Many dogs are not well behaved because the owners don’t know how to train them, or don’t care. If the owners care about you they may rectify the situation.

I’ve put my dogs on a sit stay in front of many poorly behaved dogs, with or without owners present. Sometimes this shames the owners into working with their dogs.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:02 pm

miamivice wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:54 pm
The dogs were there first. Let them be. Don't be the new business owner that asks neighboring residents to change their lifestyle to fit your business needs.
And when those dogs die or escape, they will be replaced by similar dogs.

If the current level of barking is a deal-breaker, walk away and don't look back.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:18 pm

How long has the property been for sale. The dogs may be doing their job well, as the homeowner may not want a commercial business moving in next door. :happy

No, a fence won't help with the barking issue.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:02 pm
miamivice wrote:
Yes - barking dogs are not difficult to find!

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:00 pm

miamivice wrote:
Having a frequently barking dog is a violation of local ordinances in many places (my town included). It is totally reasonable for a business owner to be able to move in and ask that a longtime property owner actually follow the law.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:04 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:00 pm
miamivice wrote:
Having a frequently barking dog is a violation of local ordinances in many places (my town included). It is totally reasonable for a business owner to be able to move in and ask that a longtime property owner actually follow the law.
No, that is very different than my code of ethics. The longtime property owner doesn't need to change to accomodate the new business owner in my opinion.

Also, I am unsure what actions a pet owner is supposed to take to comply with the law. Dogs bark. It's the nature of being a dog. Cut the dogs vocal cords?

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Buy the adjacent home and rent it to people who don't own dogs.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:12 pm

MichCPA wrote:
miamivice wrote:
What about dogs barking at folks when they go through the nearby entry gate... you know, like the scenario brought up in this thread? No need to go making up your own scenario to prove a point. Dogs bark. Just because there's a thread about it in BHs doesn't make it an automatic law violation like threads tend to go to quickly in here.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:13 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:02 pm
miamivice wrote:

If the current level of barking is a deal-breaker, walk away and don't look back.
+1

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Even if a wall does not quiet the dogs, at least your customers will not see the dogs. Furthermore, since you said that the customers will be in their cars while passing by the dog zone, will they still be sensitive to the dogs? It's not the same as seeing the dogs rush at them through a chain fence. So, even if the noise is comparable, perhaps the perception of there being dogs might decrease.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Also, sounds like the home with the dogs is kinda in the middle of nowhere with an open 8 acres on the other side of the fence. The dogs are not used to people being near their fence, I'm guessing. Dogs are protective. They bark at things they aren't used to. They may get used to a business with people being next door and not bark as much as they adjust. Or, they may not and will always bark when folks come and go if the entry gate is near their fence. Is that a chance the OP is willing to take though?

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:20 pm

miamivice wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:04 pm
MichCPA wrote:
miamivice wrote:
No, that is very different than my code of ethics. The longtime property owner doesn't need to change to accomodate the new business owner in my opinion.

Also, I am unsure what actions a pet owner is supposed to take to comply with the law. Dogs bark. It's the nature of being a dog. Cut the dogs vocal cords?
I am not advocating corporal punishment against the dog. I am also not advocating for a fine based on sporadic barking, but fining an owner because they allow their dog to repeatedly bark is completely fair. Given the proper obedience training, dogs are capable of being good neighbors.

For the purposes of the OP, they should see what rules apply and whether enforcing them is an unnecessary hassle.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:30 pm

chevca wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:12 pm
MichCPA wrote:
miamivice wrote:
What about dogs barking at folks when they go through the nearby entry gate... you know, like the scenario brought up in this thread? No need to go making up your own scenario to prove a point. Dogs bark. Just because there's a thread about it in BHs doesn't make it an automatic law violation like threads tend to go to quickly in here.
There are actually two specific ordinances that apply where I live.

1. General noise ordinance- covers 'repeated, habitual barking' (I realize that is redundant).
2. Dogs are not allowed to 'molest or menace' a passer-by on a public right of way (street, sidewalk, etc.)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:31 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:30 pm
chevca wrote:
MichCPA wrote:
miamivice wrote:

1. General noise ordinance- covers 'repeated, habitual barking' (I realize that is redundant).
2. Dogs are not allowed to 'molest or menace' a passer-by on a public right of way (street, sidewalk, etc.)
I doubt that a prospective owner would have any standing to file such a complaint.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:32 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:31 pm
MichCPA wrote:
chevca wrote:
MichCPA wrote:
miamivice wrote:

I doubt that a prospective owner would have any standing to file such a complaint.
Agreed, but you would once you owned the property. Whether its worth it is an open question.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:33 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:32 pm
dm200 wrote:
MichCPA wrote:
chevca wrote:
MichCPA wrote:

Agreed, but you would once you owned the property.
Yes - but you do not know, ahead of time, whether this would be effective.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:43 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:33 pm
MichCPA wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:32 pm
dm200 wrote:
MichCPA wrote:
chevca wrote:

Agreed, but you would once you owned the property.
Yes - but you do not know, ahead of time, whether this would be effective.
It would be a fairly simple matter to email the local enforcement agency and ask if they will enforce the ordinance based on video evidence. If the behavior noted is a pattern then capturing it on video should be a basic process. If the local agency will not enforce, you would have to decide if that behavior is a deal breaker. The fine based on my local law is $135 for first offense on part 2 above and $285 for part 1, so the amount would be a deterrent if enforced.

It all depends how much this is worth to the OP.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:52 pm

miamivice wrote:
MichCPA wrote:
miamivice wrote:

I actually had to have that done to a dog about 30 years ago--at the suggestion of my vet. I had allowed the dog to acquire a habit of barking as he was outside in a location where it was not an issue. I moved to an area where it was an issue and was not willing to relocate again--totally my fault but very difficult at the time to find a place that was otherwise suitable. I certainly did not consider getting rid of the dog. It was a very large breed dog, and the vet convinced me that it would be a very simple procedure due to easy access through the mouth. The procedure did not curtail his barking, but it certainly quieted it! Not all dog owners would be willing to do that--I probably wouldn't have it done to a smaller dog unless I were convinced it was as simple as it appeared to be for my dog then.

But that was the interloper (me) bringing in the dog. Had someone moved near to my previous location and complained that my dog's barking disturbed them, I would have been reluctant to do anything about it absent compelling legal reasons.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:43 pm

It would be a fairly simple matter to email the local enforcement agency and ask if they will enforce the ordinance based on video evidence. If the behavior noted is a pattern then capturing it on video should be a basic process. If the local agency will not enforce, you would have to decide if that behavior is a deal breaker. The fine based on my local law is $135 for first offense on part 2 above and $285 for part 1, so the amount would be a deterrent if enforced.

It all depends how much this is worth to the OP.
Perhaps the current owner of the property could pursue this if they find out that the sale of the property is impacted by the neighbor’s dogs.

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:02 pm

miamivice wrote:
MichCPA wrote:
miamivice wrote:

We have lots of neighbors with well-trained dogs who rarely bark. We have a couple neighbors whose dogs are poorly trained and bark way too much at every little thing.

Like the dog across the street who barks at me when I am in my own front yard. And the owner does not quiet the dog or take it inside even when that goes on for 10 minutes. That’s just inconsiderate, and the dog could be trained out of that habit.