**Most Cost, Time Effective Way to Repair Yard after Septic Repair? (with pictures)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gardener

**Most Cost, Time Effective Way to Repair Yard after Septic Repair? (with pictures)

Post by Gardener » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:34 am

Good morning,

- Pic of yard that needs to be repaired:

- Pic of yard that needs to be repaired

You may have seen in other threads that I am selling my house and needed to replace septic tank and drain field.

So tank and drain field work is complete.

Now I need to know what is the most effective- in terms of results, cost, and time in getting a healthy lawn for the buyer?

Few quick facts to help in guiding me:

1. I am in the hot northeast region- generally in the 90's here. Recently have been getting mid afternoon thunderstorms a couple of times a week. So concerned about seed moisture.
2. I no longer live in the house that is being sold and will not be able to water the new grass.
3. The amount of area that needs to be replaced with grass is a very approximate 1/2 to 3/4 acre?
4. In a sellers market, but with the summer heat, activity has slowed down a bit. Average days on market= 58 days
5. I do not have a ton of time, but think that I could probably seed and straw the property myself for a cost of lets say $500 (cost of seed, straw, perhaps a straw blower rental) and maybe 5-7 hours of my time.
6. Septic guy said his past two clients paid a professional company $950 and $1500 to reseed and straw their lawns. (thinking mine might be more given the size of area)

My concerns are:
1. Summer heat and the seeds not retaining enough moisture since I cannot water it (relying solely on rain and straw)
2. Overpaying for professional service
Last edited by Gardener on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:10 am, edited 6 times in total.

MikeG62

Re: Most Cost, Time Effective Way to Repair Yard after Septic Repair? (with pictures)

Post by MikeG62 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:46 am

I am no expert, but will be going through a septic field replacement myself within the next 30 days. I talked to several people all of whom told me that there is no way seeding is going to take in the summer. I was advised to wait on the seed until the fall. We are planning on re-sodding the area as we don't want to have a mess in our front yard for the better part of 9 months.

Perhaps you can hold off and, should a buyer come along, offer to take the cost of having the lawn professionally seeded off the price of the house during the negotiation?
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

TomatoTomahto

Re: Most Cost, Time Effective Way to Repair Yard after Septic Repair? (with pictures)

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:54 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:46 am
I am no expert, but will be going through a septic field replacement myself within the next 30 days. I talked to several people all of whom told me that there is no way seeding is going to take in the summer. I was advised to wait on the seed until the fall. We are planning on re-sodding the area as we don't want to have a mess in our front yard for the better part of 9 months.

Perhaps you can hold off and, should a buyer come along, offer to take the cost of having the lawn professionally seeded off the price of the house during the negotiation?
Tried to do it in summer. Wasted my money, time, and water. Not a lawn person, but will have to redo it unless I can convince my wife that a wildflower meadow would be appreciated by the local flora and fauna.

I agree with offering a buyer the cost of professional lawn seeding.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:00 am

seeding or sodding grass in the summer is a waste of time and money. It may even be getting late for crabgrass. Although you can try if you can find a source for crabgrass seed. Then kill it off in the fall and re-seed with real grass. No matter when you seed, it needs to be watered regularly or it will come in thin.

In the mid-fall I have had some luck with hydroseeding areas that might not get regular water in the fall. But that means that the seed will stay dormant through the winter and then fill in in the spring. Don't apply pre-immergent weed treatment in the spring if you expect dormant seed to do the job.
Last edited by jebmke on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:00 am

This does not help you, just my war story.

My septic system was put in last fall, too late for regular seed to take hold. The septic company graded the lawn and put down URI fairway mix, which is supposed to have a fast growing annual that will hold the soil, doesn't reseed itself, then in the spring the real grass component germinates.

Well, forget that. All I have is the coarse, weedy, very fast growing "annual." Slowly the real grass is creeping in from the undisturbed areas. Meanwhile the areas where the trucks drove have eroded back from the regrading.

I have gotten a couple of estimates about $1000 for preparing the surface and reseeding. Another place says only putting in turf will work. Both say, in the fall, not this time of year, However, having spent a mint on the septic system, I am not shelling out that amount of money.

My plan is to rake in real grass seed a smallish area at a time just before several days of rain are scheduled. I'm too long in the tooth to take on the entire lawn at once, and no sprinkler system.

There was a house down the street, newly constructed, that had their yard sprayed with that stuff that has grass seed, fertilizer, and some green coloring that took well. I am guessing they have a sprinkler system, but I have not actually seen it up close.

Update: I forgot that I overseeded with clover awhile back. The clover has come in well, but in my area it dies back over winter.

Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:06 am

Alright.

Early consensus seems to be just leave it as is.

Penalty would be it just does not look as nice without grass or even straw. Hopefully future buyers have a good imagination.

Then take off x amount of home price for new buyers to get the work done.

GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:08 am

Can't see your picture of the yard. Best time is the fall, but can be done in the summer.
Any neighbors that can help?

Watering - multiple hoses and sprinklers daisy chained on one of those little hose end timers. Can be set to come on every 2,4,6,8 hrs and run time can be set in minutes. (1-60 min if I remember right)

Seed- grass types have different germination time. You should try to match existing grass. Starter fertilizer and good seed.

Weeds- will grow anytime and anywhere. Tenacity can be sprayed prior to seeding and the same day of seeding. Read the label and look at youtube. Search tenacity renovation.
John

Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:16 am

Is anybody else not able to open up my link? Should just click it and open and be able to view.

Well, I just got an estimate for $200 and $500. Seed and straw.

Guy with estimate of $200 sent pics that I requested.

I believe he has a straw blower or whatever and will throw the seed down and go from there.

Is it worth the try? Worse case scenario is it does not take and I'm out a couple hundred bucks. And have a lot of weeds?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:20 am

duplicate
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:26 am

The link says the picture can’t be opened on Apple iOS device.

Despite how the yard looks now, a buyer should be thrilled about a new septic system. I think getting a couple quotes from reliable local landscapers to reseed in the fall that you can share with buyers plus a closing credit of cost to a buyer is the way to go. I think it’s a waste of time and money to seed in the northeast summer if you aren’t there to water a couple times a day and keep an eye on it.

See if the landscapers recommend you cover the area now with straw to minimize erosion and weeds until seed is planted.

Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:29 am

Sorry folks, a bit of an amateur at this, but I believe the link is fixed now.

Click free download, then wait 5 seconds, and it should allow you to open.

This is the link one of the moderators advised me to use.
https://ufile.io/tnxjhpec
https://ufile.io/4yc15rwy
Last edited by Gardener on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:31 am

Thanks.

Lets say I do nothing at all. Weeds will just take over anyway, correct? Is that preferable to not having a guy do it quickly for $200?

I will have lawn guy continue to mow so it does not get out of control.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:32 am

I didn't see the photos but other than doing some erosion control I would just put it on the market the way it is.

When people buy a brand new house house that is completed in the summer they have the same problem with waiting to be able to put the lawn in.

Have a written plan with firm price estimates for the buyer to see so they can just call the company and have the work done when it cools down.

If the house does not sell buy the time it cools down then you can go on and put sod down to get an instant yard.

Some buyers may want to have additional work done at the same time, or do it themself to save some money so that would also give them more flexibility.

Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks Sandtrap. I updated the pics to make it more accessible. Yup, don't blame anyone for not clicking on a link that says free download!

Topic Author
Gardener

Re: **Most Cost, Time Effective Way to Repair Yard after Septic Repair? (with pictures)

Post by Gardener » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:11 am

Should I bite on that $200 offer for seeding and strawing?

Guy had good pics of straw thrown down.

WhyNotUs

Re: **Most Cost, Time Effective Way to Repair Yard after Septic Repair? (with pictures)

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:16 am

Not unless you have a system for watering. Someone else mentioned the lowest cost solution, timers on hose bibs with long hoses to large sweep sprinklers set early in am and evening.

Gardener wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:11 am
Should I bite on that $200 offer for seeding and strawing?

Guy had good pics of straw thrown down.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:23 am

It's probably worth $200 to get a straw cover on it to slow down erosion and it looks more finished than bare dirt. I would wait to see if the buyer requested an allowance for seeding before offering it.

Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:28 am

@ mike scott. Thanks

Would it make sense just to throw down straw and then seed later in the fall or once it cools down a bit? I mean wont the seed make it down to the ground once it rains?

Jablean

Post by Jablean » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:08 pm

But if you put straw down isn't that a pain to either seed or sod over it?

Buckeye Chuck

Post by Buckeye Chuck » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:22 pm

I would put in a sprinkler system while the yard is like that. Then next month spread seed. High quality preferably Kentucky Bluegrass. You will have people fighting for it....it could look that good. I did that twice and people still stare at it and comment.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:26 pm

What does your realtor recommend? If I remember from your other thread the realtor suggested that you keep the house on the market while the septic repair was done and you followed her advice on that one.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Throw down straw and seed later? Not a good approach. I can't speak to your summer weather but it's not going to stay that hot for months is it? There is no reason you can't plant and grow grass in the summer. I'm in the Midwest and in my youth worked in this business and we grew lawns successfully from April thru October. It sounds like watering will be an issue. Hydro seeding is great (kind of expensive), sod is great (very expensive and requires a lot of water), good top soil, lots of seed, and a good straw covering (best from a cost standpoint) will give you grass in 4-6 weeks. Maybe hold off for a month until it cools off. Finding a way to water it will certainly help. Taking the cheapo way out will create a sparse lawn if it matters.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Mushroom compost holds water better than soil. So put in seed, sprinkle on mushroom compost, water well. Perhaps you could do that once a week. Better than dirt, and may work.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:11 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (yard repair).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:30 pm

https://westerngardeners.com/planting-m ... ative.html
First say about this on This Old House.

Try miniclover and grass seed. If we were living at our previous address, I would def. try.
In our northern area, cool evening, dewey mornings, make a green lawn pretty routine.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:53 am

We had our backyard septic extended many years ago. We ended up calling someone to grade the dirt after the septic work was done. It was probably around mid- to late-September. The man who did the grading had mentioned that if we were going to put grass down that we had until the beginning of October. And that's what we did. It was a fairly large area, so I used a broadcast spreader and put down grass fairly quickly. It really turned out well, but I'm positive it was because I had done it in the Fall.

Fast forward to this year, I have been working in sections in our yard, getting rid of weeds, raking, and trying to put down grass. I did one small section in probably late April or early May, watered it daily, etc., and it took quite well. Then I moved on to the next section right beside this, only it happened to be in June and it had warmed up considerably. Got rid of weeds, raked, watered it daily, etc. No grass is growing. I will wait until Fall and try again.

As far as cost, I would get 2 or 3 numbers and then average it out.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:12 am

If you do nothing, you may have a surface that needs refinishing when it cools down enough to plant. The seed will probably not germinate now but it might later. The straw cover will help with surface erosion and give it a more finished look for selling. You will probably get some weeds growing that need mowing sooner or later. In the fall, the straw can be mulched in place or raked before seeding properly. Hopefully, it will not be your house any longer when it gets to that point but if it is it is just a normal fall seeding.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:28 am

I once put down some topsoil and seed in my yard during the summer. Within 48 hours, a thunderstorm ruined it. :oops:

Wait until September.