Replacement Windows

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AWCM

Replacement Windows

Post by AWCM » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 am

We have 4-6ft double pane windows in the front of our house that faces west. A lot of radiated heat comes thru in the afternoon. Tried solar screens and they cut down the heat but also reduce the amount of light. Considering replacing them with Low E windows.

Anyone have experience replacing with Low E? What about adding Argon gas?

Thanks

jebmke

Re: Replacement Windows

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:55 am

We replaced most of our windows and doors with low-E. Except for the lowest end window, I think most replacement windows are low-E now.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am

I replaced the original storm windows with modern, Low E storm windows. HUGE difference.

It was very inexpensive, and it's an easy DIY project with a helper.

Topic Author
AWCM

Post by AWCM » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:00 pm

I also have storm doors front and back. The space between those and the main door gets extremely hot. I wonder if I can find those in Low E?

Topic Author
AWCM

Post by AWCM » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Just looked up the storm door idea and it would get even hotter with Low E.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:29 pm

Adding my own question...
Does Low E glass only help if/when the windows get direct sun?

Topic Author
AWCM

Post by AWCM » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:53 pm

ClevrChico wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am
I replaced the original storm windows with modern, Low E storm windows. HUGE difference.

Where did you get the replacement glass? Thanks

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:17 pm

We replaced 21 windows a couple of years ago (all that we had). We selected Marvin and are delighted with the results.

https://www.marvin.com/?&gclid=EAIaIQob ... gLDQPD_BwE
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:21 pm

Another option: window inserts. We have Indows for all of our original (100+ year old) single pane windows. They do a great job of stopping drafts and cutting down on noise. I think the additional air gap would help with the OP's solar issue. A lot cheaper than replacement windows, too. indowwindows.com. No financial interest or affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:33 pm

You might also consider pricing out adding a window film to reduce the infrared heat coming in through the windows.

Another alternative, if the window frames are good, is to replace just the glass. Get some glass companies to quote replacing the insulated glass units. I'd recommend multiple quotes, when we got quotes, the highest quote came in at double the lowest quote.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:22 pm

AWCM wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:53 pm
ClevrChico wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 am

Where did you get the replacement glass? Thanks
I bought Larson storm windows, which Lowes, Home Depot, or your local building supply store likely carry. A typical window was around $80 a few years ago. Mine were the standard grade with the included Low E glass. I believe they have a premium grade which is super efficient, but the big box stores did not carry them.

Topic Author
AWCM

Post by AWCM » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 pm

CascadiaSoonish wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Another option: window inserts. We have Indows for all of our original (100+ year old) single pane windows. They do a great job of stopping drafts and cutting down on noise. I think the additional air gap would help with the OP's solar issue. A lot cheaper than replacement windows, too. indowwindows.com. No financial interest or affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Our windows are not too bad, the frames are still good. I'm getting quotes fro replacement sashes (the moveable uppers and lowers with Low E glass) so I can swap them out myself. Only about $200 or so per window. Just trying to decide if the Low E makes much of a difference.

Topic Author
AWCM

Post by AWCM » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:01 pm

random_walker_77 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:33 pm
You might also consider pricing out adding a window film to reduce the infrared heat coming in through the windows.

Another alternative, if the window frames are good, is to replace just the glass. Get some glass companies to quote replacing the insulated glass units. I'd recommend multiple quotes, when we got quotes, the highest quote came in at double the lowest quote.
I tried film on the front storm door and my wife hated the look. I'm sure it would have helped but I had to remove it. Same story with solar screens. Made the room too dark.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:03 pm

random_walker_77 wrote:

Installed the 3M window film in our large west facing windows and it makes a huge difference in heat transmission.

Topic Author
AWCM

Post by AWCM » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:21 pm

CascadiaSoonish wrote:
Interesting, thanks.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:37 am

West facing, unshaded windows are tough. We use solar screens. They work well, but cut the entire solar spectrum, darkening the room as you noted. They are way cheaper than windows, though maybe in the range of storms. I think we paid ~$60 per 2'x4' double-hung at another house. The fabric isn't cheap.

"Spectrally selective" low-e glass will cut a good bit of the UV (fading) and IR (heat) portions of the spectrum while letting more of the visible light come through. Cardinal glass is a major manufacturer of lo-e glass and insulated glazing units (IGUs) There's a nice overview of their cadillac solar lo-e glass here. Their technical guide has a wealth of information on the various types of glass and IGU types such as the fill gas, thickness, and multiple surface coating.

The simple approach is to look at the Solar Heat Gain Coefficient and Visible Light Transmission numbers for the windows you're considering.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:39 am

AWCM wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 am
We have 4-6ft double pane windows in the front of our house that faces west. A lot of radiated heat comes thru in the afternoon. Tried solar screens and they cut down the heat but also reduce the amount of light. Considering replacing them with Low E windows.

Anyone have experience replacing with Low E? What about adding Argon gas?

Thanks
Low-E glass should definitely help. Argon gas may help a bit but is much more effective in reducing heat loss in cold weather than preventing heat gain. It's the coatings applied to Low-E glass that helps the most with heat gain, not the argon gas. That said, most Low-E windows are filled with an inert gas like argon but probably not all.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:52 am

What is Low E?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:53 am

Bengineer wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:37 am
West facing, unshaded windows are tough. We use solar screens. They work well, but cut the entire solar spectrum, darkening the room as you noted. They are way cheaper than windows, though maybe in the range of storms. I think we paid ~$60 per 2'x4' double-hung at another house. The fabric isn't cheap.
Solar screens are definitely the most practical and cost effective solution. If they reduce the incoming light too much for you when the sun is not on the window then look into a roll-down solar screen. They are like the old roller shades but made of woven solar screen fabric. They can be operated manually or with a small electric motor. If they're motorized the motor is usually operated with a remote control and can also be equipped with a sun sensor so the screen will roll down automatically when the sun hits the window. Roll-down solar screens may be installed on the inside or outside of the window but they're much more effective in reducing heat gain if installed on the outside.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:53 am

In our west-facing rooms which get warm from solar heat, we did the following which helped a lot:
1. Vista film on skylights (we chose a lighter color for aesthetics),
2. Low-E windows
3. Natural grass/wood shades (inset mount) that we leave closed when we aren’t using rooms during summers days to keep heat out and open during winters.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 am

abuss368 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:52 am
What is Low E?
Low emissivity.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_emissivity

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:55 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 am
abuss368 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:52 am
What is Low E?
Low emissivity.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_emissivity
Thank you!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:57 am

Low E is a good investment. My supplier said nix the gas filled option as it leaks out over a few years.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:06 am

AWCM wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:06 pm
Interesting. Why is that? The inside of a low-E window is cooler than the inside of a regular window, no?

Although thanks for making me feel better about not even having a storm door on my west-facing exterior door.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 am

What are you currently using as a source of info regarding Low E? your comment about the Low E storm door makes me wonder.

The way to compare glass is found on a label with Energy Performance. You can google to understand the ratings but they specifically address your questions and allow comparison.

If your windows are still good and your primary concern is heat gain, you can also get a bid for adding a film to the inside of your windows that will reduce gain. That is typically the cheapest approach.
AWCM wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 pm
CascadiaSoonish wrote:
Our windows are not too bad, the frames are still good. I'm getting quotes fro replacement sashes (the moveable uppers and lowers with Low E glass) so I can swap them out myself. Only about $200 or so per window. Just trying to decide if the Low E makes much of a difference.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:34 am

WhyNotUs wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:12 am
If your windows are still good and your primary concern is heat gain, you can also get a bid for adding a film to the inside of your windows that will reduce gain. That is typically the cheapest approach.
Be careful adding window films. Many window manufacturers will void any glass warranty you may have on your windows if film is applied to them. It's debatable whether window film can actually damage insulated window seals but it's a possible factor and something beyond the manufacturer's control.

If the manufacturer's concern is valid then you may end up having to replace windows prematurely.

Topic Author
AWCM

Post by AWCM » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks everyone. Lots of great input.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:33 am

AWCM wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:01 pm
random_walker_77 wrote:

I tried film on the front storm door and my wife hated the look. I'm sure it would have helped but I had to remove it. Same story with solar screens. Made the room too dark.
Solar shades come in a range of transparency to allow in light and also let you see outside. What transparency did you get?

I got 8% transparent shades on the south side and 5% on the west side and I'm very happy with the results.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:41 am

AWCM wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 pm
CascadiaSoonish wrote:
I have 20ft of South facing windows and 5ft of West facing windows in my living room in SoCal.

The low-e3 windows are excellent.

I also have solar shades to block the sun, especially in winter when the sun hangs low, or in the evening at sunset. These are stellar. They do darken the room, but I'm usually either using the southern ones or the west facing ones depending on the season.

My FIL lives in a historic 100 year old craftsman, with single paned windows. The dining room has a large West facing window and it would get unbearably hot in summer. I convinced them to get solar shades and it dropped the temperature 20 degrees.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 am

AWCM wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:06 pm
I think the "even hotter" refers to installing clear glass storms over low-e windows. It's similar to putting a reflective/absorptive film on the inner pane of an IGU. The inner pane absorbs/reflects the light & heat, the outer pane holds it in, resulting in higher glas temps, which is a problem for the longevity of the seals of the IGU.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:20 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:41 am
I also have solar shades to block the sun, especially in winter when the sun hangs low, or in the evening at sunset. These are stellar. They do darken the room, but I'm usually either using the southern ones or the west facing ones depending on the season.

My FIL lives in a historic 100 year old craftsman, with single paned windows. The dining room has a large West facing window and it would get unbearably hot in summer. I convinced them to get solar shades and it dropped the temperature 20 degrees.
My experience as well over a few houses. Solar screening really cuts the heat on south and particularly west single or double clear-glass windows. As bright as is out in SoCal, the darkening is welcome. Subjectively, the darkened room "feels cooler"!