Which Kindle do I need?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JoeChick10

Which Kindle do I need?

Post by JoeChick10 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:43 am

I recently left my Kindle on an airplane. I'm giving lost and found some time to locate it however, assuming that they won't find it, I need to get a new one. DW bought me the Kindle Voyage E-Reader a couple years back and it was great - I use(d) it daily - however I'm only seeing used ones on Amazon. If I were to find a new one, I'm thinking it would cost around $200-$250. Do I really need to spend that much money to replace it?

The important features that I require are Wi-Fi connectivity to download books when I'm traveling and the front light that allows for indoor/outdoor reading (with/without other lights on). Storage isn't a big deal as I only read one book at time. I'm seeing the 'All-New Kindle' available for $89.99 including 3 months of Kindle Unlimited which effectively saves me $30 on top of that ($9.99/month service I currently pay for). DW is telling me not to cheap out and there are 'better'/more expensive options - Paperwhite ($129.99) and Oasis ($249.99) but none of the features seem like things I actually need.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these kindles? Can you confirm the 'New Kinde' will be sufficient for my requirements?

retiringwhen

Re: Which Kindle do I need?

Post by retiringwhen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 am

JoeChick10 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:43 am
I recently left my Kindle on an airplane. I'm giving lost and found some time to locate it however, assuming that they won't find it, I need to get a new one. DW bought me the Kindle Voyage E-Reader a couple years back and it was great - I use(d) it daily - however I'm only seeing used ones on Amazon. If I were to find a new one, I'm thinking it would cost around $200-$250. Do I really need to spend that much money to replace it?

The important features that I require are Wi-Fi connectivity to download books when I'm traveling and the front light that allows for indoor/outdoor reading (with/without other lights on). Storage isn't a big deal as I only read one book at time. I'm seeing the 'All-New Kindle' available for $89.99 including 3 months of Kindle Unlimited which effectively saves me $30 on top of that ($9.99/month service I currently pay for). DW is telling me not to cheap out and there are 'better'/more expensive options - Paperwhite ($129.99) and Oasis ($249.99) but none of the features seem like things I actually need.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these kindles? Can you confirm the 'New Kinde' will be sufficient for my requirements?
If you really care about text clarity, the paper white is worth it. My eyes get much less strain with the paper white.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 am

JoeChick10 wrote:

If you really care about text clarity, the paper white is worth it. My eyes get much less strain with the paper white.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:51 am

Another vote for the paperwhite. Since you can adjust the lighting, it's as great for reading in blinding sunshine as dim hotel rooms. I only use my Kindle to read. I use my phone for everything else. I try to load books before I go on vacation, but I can always load using wifi if I run out of reading material.

luminous

Post by luminous » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am

I went through a similar decision when I bought my kindle a few years ago. I visited my local Beat Buy to look at the basic kindle vs paperwhite in person. I ended up with the paperwhite.

The biggest difference between these two models today is the screen resolution. Viewing them in person will help you decide if you can see the difference and if the lower resolution bothers you.
50/20/30 US stock/international stock/bonds. Hope to semi-retire in 2022.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:54 am

JoeChick10 wrote:

I have had a long history of kindles and kindle readers, paperwhite, etc.
I recently splurged on the Kindle Oasis. It is by far the best kindle reader I've had and well worth the $$$ IMHO. I bought it with all the upgrades and the Amazon snap waterproof cover.
I read a lot, and quickly. The larger screen on the Oasis makes a huge difference, and the long battery life.
I still have the 3 months of free Kindle Unlimited and it is great!

I'm glad that I did not "cheap out".

Hope this helps.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:58 am

Another vote for Oasis, although if you’re a stick in the mud, at least get a Paperwhite.

I think I’ve had 7 Kindles (kids borrow them, some I lost other ways :D ). Oasis is best of them.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:59 am

I read about 150 books a year on my Kindle Paperwhite. It's really good and I like the form factor as well as the screen. Unfortunately, what this means is that Amazon will likely screw it up soon. I hate that companies always feel a need to improve on something already good.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:04 am

retiringwhen wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:46 am
JoeChick10 wrote:

+1

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 am

Another vote for the Oasis. I have the first gen and absolutely adore it. The current version is larger than mine and waterproof. I often read mine by the pool on vacation, and have to stick it in a quart-sized ziploc to keep it dry. But the screen is amazing, and I really like having physical buttons to turn pages.

All Kindles have Wifi, but you have to pay extra (up front) for cellular. I almost always do, just appreciate the seamlessness of always being connected and not having to monkey with connecting it to hotel wifi to download books.

Topic Author
JoeChick10

Post by JoeChick10 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:09 am

luminous wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am
I went through a similar decision when I bought my kindle a few years ago. I visited my local Beat Buy to look at the basic kindle vs paperwhite in person. I ended up with the paperwhite.

The biggest difference between these two models today is the screen resolution. Viewing them in person will help you decide if you can see the difference and if the lower resolution bothers you.
Great idea. I'll head to BB today and see what they have. Thanks.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:09 am

Do you have an iPad? Have you tried using the Kindle app? We don't use our Kindles any more and nice to cut back on the number of devices. Your preferences might be different than ours but worth trying to see if it would work for you.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:10 am

I have a Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, as well. Very happy user. Scads of free books via Amazon Prime Early Reads.

However, for e-books I read mostly books with little to no illustrations/charts/graphs and such. An Amazon Kindle Oasis would likely provide a much better reading experience for those books, like investing books. For those type books I generally buy the print copies. The Paperwhite just doesn't work as well.

So, let your projected primary use help you make a decision. And, of course, your budget.

Broken Man 1999
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:10 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:54 am
JoeChick10 wrote:

I have had a long history of kindles and kindle readers, paperwhite, etc.
I recently splurged on the Kindle Oasis. It is by far the best kindle reader I've had and well worth the $$$ IMHO. I bought it with all the upgrades and the Amazon snap waterproof cover.
I read a lot, and quickly. The larger screen on the Oasis makes a huge difference, and the long battery life.
I still have the 3 months of free Kindle Unlimited and it is great!

I'm glad that I did not "cheap out".

Hope this helps.
j
This (though I still have the 1st gen oasis). I've been through them all starting with the 2nd gen kindle. I thought the paperwhite was great and resisted upgrading, thought the offset screen on the oasis was odd and it seemed too expensive. Boy was I wrong.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:13 am

Caduceus wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:59 am
I read about 150 books a year on my Kindle Paperwhite. It's really good and I like the form factor as well as the screen. Unfortunately, what this means is that Amazon will likely screw it up soon. I hate that companies always feel a need to improve on something already good.
If you're reading that many books/year you owe it to yourself to get an Oasis.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 am

I am still using one of the original Kindle Keyboards mainly because it has the buttons on the side for turning the pages. I've tried reading a book on a Kindle Fire that I have to swipe the screen to turn the page and I hate that compared to just clicking the side button.

If it was not for the lack of the side button I would have upgraded to a Paperwhite long ago. I don't want to spend as much as it would cost to get the higher end models with the side buttons but that is just me.

If it is within your budget then I would go with the Oasis just to get those side buttons.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:17 am

JoeChick10 wrote:
I just bought an "All-New Kindle" to replace an older Kindle that was also lost. I paid $59 on Prime Day, which I think was a fair price for a device that is infrequently used in our household.

The 167 ppi screen on the "All-New Kindle" is NOTICEABLY and significantly less pleasurable to read than the 300 ppi screen on my old Paperwhite (and presumably the Oasis). I would NOT recommend the "All-New Kindle" for daily use. The Paperwhite is sufficiently superior, IMHO, to justify the small price difference. I've never used an Oasis, so I can't comment on its relative merits.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:20 am

MrBobcat wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:13 am
Caduceus wrote:
In what ways is the Kindle Oasis better? I might have to try it. I like small screens and I like dim screens; I find the old Paperwhite's lighting settings quite nice. I actually bought a new Paperwhite a while back to try it and returned it and kept my old Generation 6 Paperwhite because I hated the new cluttered homepage and they changed the screen.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:28 am

Watty wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 am
I am still using one of the original Kindle Keyboards mainly because it has the buttons on the side for turning the pages. I've tried reading a book on a Kindle Fire that I have to swipe the screen to turn the page and I hate that compared to just clicking the side button.

If it was not for the lack of the side button I would have upgraded to a Paperwhite long ago. I don't want to spend as much as it would cost to get the higher end models with the side buttons but that is just me.

If it is within your budget then I would go with the Oasis just to get those side buttons.
+1
The side buttons make it great
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

terran

Post by terran » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:29 am

Just throwing this out there in case you haven't thought of it: you might want to disconnect your lost kindle from your account until/unless it's found so no one can make purchases: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201755180

Topic Author
JoeChick10

Post by JoeChick10 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:39 am

terran wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:29 am
Just throwing this out there in case you haven't thought of it: you might want to disconnect your lost kindle from your account until/unless it's found so no one can make purchases: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201755180
Thanks for pointing this out. I just de-registered it.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:47 am

stan1 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:09 am
Do you have an iPad? Have you tried using the Kindle app? We don't use our Kindles any more and nice to cut back on the number of devices. Your preferences might be different than ours but worth trying to see if it would work for you.
I read on my iPad when weight/space is critical and I only carry one device, but I find it much inferior from an eye-strain perspective. I can read for 4 hours on a kindle paperwhite without strain, 20 minutes and I need a serious break from my iPad Air 2. I find that any LCD screen causes more strain. I spend enough time working looking at those screens, so I avoid when practical.

If you don't find eye strain from LCD's then the iPad is great. BTW, my wife got a Kindle Fire as a gift and never used it for the same reason (she had previously used a basic Kindle some).

The other downside of iPad/Fire is battery life. I can take a Kindle on a week vacation and never worry about the battery level.

tlk59

Post by tlk59 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:11 am

I just have an older Kindle Touch, but my brother did get an Oasis recently. One thing that I like about it, it's very easy to hold one-handed. It has a beveled surface on the side, with page turn buttons. You can one-hand it lefty or righty (the screen will re-orient when you flip it).

-Tim

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:36 am

I am a voracious reader, and I look on my e reader as a necessity. You could cheap out and read on the cheapest one, and it will work “fine”, but I agree paperwhite at a minimum. I upgraded to the top of the line kindle Oasis and will do so again when the time comes. They are refreshing the oasis soon, so if you plan to go big, you can preorder the 2019 version. Toms has a kindle buyers guide here:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-e-rea ... -2766.html

. The Kindle Oasis offers a luxurious reading experience. Everything about this device — including its machined aluminum back, excellent automatic lighting adjustments and very well-lit screen (using 12 LEDs) — screams "perfection." It even deserves its Oasis moniker, now that its IPX8-rated water resistance means it survives — and can be used — while it's submerged in water. The device also supports Audible's audiobooks, as long as you've got a Bluetooth device handy.

While it's the best Kindle for those who can splurge, we just wish it didn't cost nearly twice as much as the Kindle Paperwhite.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:48 am

I really like the Kindle app on the iPad and use it a lot at home. I do like the light weight and small form factor of my circa 2014 Paperwhite e-reader, and that's what I carry in my backpack for use on the bus and train. With the iPad, I personally can't justify buying the latest and greatest Oasis, although it looks really nice, and I like the Audible integration of later models:

https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Kindle-O ... 07F7TLZF4/

stan1 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:09 am

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Caduceus wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:20 am
MrBobcat wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:13 am
Caduceus wrote:
In what ways is the Kindle Oasis better? I might have to try it. I like small screens and I like dim screens; I find the old Paperwhite's lighting settings quite nice. I actually bought a new Paperwhite a while back to try it and returned it and kept my old Generation 6 Paperwhite because I hated the new cluttered homepage and they changed the screen.
My previous PW was a 6th gen as well (my son has it a likes it as it replaced the kindle keyboard I passed on to him). I now have the 1st gen Oasis, not the newer ones.

IMO the screen resolution and lighting is superior, easy to adjust to how you want it. However, the real advantage is the side with the buttons, so easy to read one handed and page back and forth... don't have to lift up and move my thumb to touch the screen. I read in bed every night on my side (and I'll flip from one side to the other), flip the kindle around to change the orientation and I can continue reading one handed (I prefer my bottom hand). Long story short the ergonomics of the Oasis are stellar.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the new home screen when my kindle was updated... small annoyance as I can still find what I want to read easy enough.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:03 pm

JoeChick10 wrote:

I'm happy using my 9 year old Kindle Keyboard. But if I had to replace it, I'd go with a Kindle Paperwhite. My wife has one. The lighting is great and the higher resolution is terrific.

For you, the Voyage and the Paperwhite have the same resolution. I suspect you'd notice the difference if you downgraded to the All New Kindle.

I suggest you get the Kindle Paperwhite. I agree with your DW - don't cheap out.

dual

Post by dual » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Does the oasis have the annoying "waking..." delay on power up like the new paperwhite does?

rj342

Post by rj342 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Have not seen an Oasis in person to see if the price delta is worth it.
Absolutely give thumbs up on the Paperwhite. It does have better contrast than basic reader, plus the all important adjustable front lighting.
PLUS...
The newest gen Paperwhite that just came out has more storage AND is now waterproof, at same price, so you don't have to move up to Voyager/Oasis to get that.
I have the first gen Paperwhite. I usually skip a generation or two upgrading.
E-ink is absolutely better on the eyes than LCD, although the Fire tablets now have a nightlight mode that cuts the blue light at night so that helps in a dark bedroom, in addition to simply dimming screen (always surprised how many ppl complain but don't just dim.
My only two wishes on the Kindled are 1) a bit faster startup (password entry sluggish at first), and 2) if the LEDs for the front light had a warmer option for same reason of night reading.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:29 pm

another vote for the paperwhite...love it. (No experience with oasis)

discman017

Post by discman017 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:37 pm

If you want to save a few bucks, Woot has some great deals on "refurbished" Kindles. They come in brown-box Amazon packaging, and in my experience, they're in like-new condition. Your mileage may vary, but you can always return it if you're not happy with it. I'm seeing the Voyage for $80 and the 6th generation Paperwhite (from 2013) for $35. If it were me, I'd just get the $35 one -- Paperwhites haven't improved all that much over the years. But if you really liked your Voyage, this may be a good way to do it.

Link to Woot's "tablets" page (which includes Paperwhites): https://www.woot.com/category/computers ... _cdet_pc_6

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Lots of recommendations for the Oasis. I guess it must be worth it.

I read around 75 books per year, most on my Kindle Voyage. I thought that was a big number until I saw the 150 books p/yr poster. WOW!

I might have to order an Oasis. Thanks.
Funding secured

Topic Author
JoeChick10

Post by JoeChick10 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:06 pm

discman017 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:37 pm
If you want to save a few bucks, Woot has some great deals on "refurbished" Kindles. They come in brown-box Amazon packaging, and in my experience, they're in like-new condition. Your mileage may vary, but you can always return it if you're not happy with it. I'm seeing the Voyage for $80 and the 6th generation Paperwhite (from 2013) for $35. If it were me, I'd just get the $35 one -- Paperwhites haven't improved all that much over the years. But if you really liked your Voyage, this may be a good way to do it.

Link to Woot's "tablets" page (which includes Paperwhites): https://www.woot.com/category/computers ... _cdet_pc_6
Thank you for this. I ended up going on and getting the Paperwhite as you suggested. I have 30 days to return it in the unlikely event that the airline locates my Voyager. In general, Woot seems like a great site. I'm glad I'm now aware of it. Thanks again.