Trip to Honolulu

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
veena9111
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Trip to Honolulu

Post by veena9111 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Good evening,
We will be Honolulu from July 26 ( reaching late in the evening ), till Aug 2nd. I will be at attending a conference on July 30th.
The rest of the days we should be able to travel around. I would appreciate any suggestions for must-visit places in and around Hawaii.
Thank You

Wings5
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Wings5 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:17 pm

Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha for delicious shaved ice.

livesoft
Posts: 68594
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Book an excursion for everybody in your group to Volcanoes National Park.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bob60014
Posts: 1233
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by bob60014 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Pearl Harbor of course.

majiaknight
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:55 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by majiaknight » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:42 pm

My family have been there twice and will have one more next month. There are a lot of great attractions. Depending on individual interests, you may consider to buy a Go Oahu card from Costco or just take the recommended itinerary as a reference to make your own. Have fun!

https://www.costco.com/4-Day-Go-Oahu-eC ... 83326.html

HawkeyePierce
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by HawkeyePierce » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Home of the Brave Museum and the Wiki Waki Woo 1940's-era tiki bar on the roof.

http://homeofthebravehawaii.com/wiki-waki-woo-speakeasy

I was in Honolulu for the first time last month. I originally signed up for an all-day Pearl Harbor tour which was cancelled at the last minute, so instead I made my own way out there by public bus. Less expensive, direct service from Waikiki and I was on my own schedule rather than being herded around. Honolulu's public buses have very strong AC. ;)

I got up early and reached the visitor center around 7am so I had no problem getting one of the limited tickets for the Arizona memorial. Note that the memorial itself is closed, likely till the fall, but they still take you out on the harbor for a loop around the Arizona and a view of the Missouri.

On my return I was able to hop off in downtown Honolulu and get lunch at The Pig and the Lady, which I highly recommend for modern Vietnamese.

I also recommend the sushi restaurant Tokkuri-Tei off the south end of Waikiki. Sit at the sushi bar and order the omakase! There's a good foot massage place next door if your feet are tired after a full day of touring around.
Last edited by HawkeyePierce on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.BB
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Mr.BB » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Hanauma Bay... Just get there early because it's limited parking it will fill up.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

dbr
Posts: 30798
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by dbr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Climb to the top of Diamond Head. Consider going very early in the morning. Have brunch or dinner at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel. Maybe even stay there and/or go to the public beach and Kapi'olani Park there. Also, of course, Pearl Harbor. Spend enough time there for more than only the Arizona Memorial. Note reservations needed in advance.

Probably for the most part you should go somewhere else that is not Honolulu even if still on Oahu, but I am not an expert on Hawaii in toto.

myleaf
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by myleaf » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Pearl Harbor Tour (as previously mentioned)
Dinner Luau (Polynesian Culture Center, Paradise Cove, or other)
Bishop Museum
Diamond Head Crater Hike
Hanauma Bay (swimming snorkeling)
North Shore
Dole Plantation Visitor Center (Pineapple)
"Never met an electron I did not like"

dbr
Posts: 30798
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by dbr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:36 pm

PS I learned from a cabbie that he and a friend make a ritual of running the Diamond Head Trail at 2:00 PM every day as a fitness exercise. For the rest of us 2:00PM is definitely not recommended. The trail is popular and would not be easy to run at times more people are there.

Presintense
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:58 pm
Location: "Somewhere in the middle of America"

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Presintense » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Performance = Potential - Distraction

alter
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:27 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by alter » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:51 pm

I recommend visiting the waterfalls and some of the less crowded beaches. Maybe take some surfing lessons. Do some snorkeling or a submarine tour.

Arabesque
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:56 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Arabesque » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:08 pm

I spent a month there for work in 2001. When I planned the trip, I hadn’t realized how much I would have to work, but I found some time for fun.

My fond memories include 1. taking the dollar bus around the whole island, very non-tourist. The bus probably costs more now, but the Oahu public transportation was great then, 2. learning to surf with the Honolulu firefighters. I was 50 and not good, but it was great fun. I think it’s more formal now https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/blogs/ha ... ons_how_to, 3. seeing the Honolulu Museum of Art, less for the art and more for cultural events and film, and 4. Walking Waikiki Beach, the crossroad of the Pacific.

FireHorse
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by FireHorse » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 pm

Don't mind me cut in.....

Any mid to high end restaurants with reasonable price and unbelievably good food?

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8473
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 pm

veena9111 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:10 pm
Good evening,
We will be Honolulu from July 26 ( reaching late in the evening ), till Aug 2nd. I will be at attending a conference on July 30th.
The rest of the days we should be able to travel around. I would appreciate any suggestions for must-visit places in and around Hawaii.
Thank You
1. You have roughly 1 week. so a trip to the outer islands would take too much valuable time.
2. Thus, Oahu. Rent a car.
3. Drive around the island.
4. Spend time at Kailua Beach on the Windward Side. It is not as touristy and one of the most pretty beaches around.
5. If you can devote a very long day, visit the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.
6. Go to a "luau", eat Hawaiian food. Do not eat poi by itself. Eat it with things, preferably tasty things.
7. The crab/seafood buffet at the Sheraton is one of the best on the island. Bring an appetite.
8. If within time and budget, take a helicopter ride of the island of Oahu.
9. Visit Hanauma Bay in Hawaii Kai, bring snorkel gear or rent it. It is a protected wildlife area and the fish will swim up to you. Go early, it gets real real real crowded.
10. If you are in Waikiki, stroll the beach and shoreline at night.
11. Go to Zippies and order "chicken katsu curry saimin bowl".
12. Visit Punchbowl Memorial Military Cemetary in Makiki, great view of Honolulu and beyond from there.
13. Visit the Dole Plantation Pineapple tour out past Wahiawa.
14. Go to the Makapuu Point Lookout and look for whales in the Molokai Channel.
15. Find out what a Hawaiian Plate Lunch is, and all the types, and eat them.
16. Diamond Head Crater hike. Right now it is "hot hot hot hot". Go early.
17. Manoa Falls Hike in Nuuanu. Bring lots and lots of mosquito repellent or wipes. They are "hungry".
18. There's a "local" hike up the back of Lanikai with an awesome view of the Mokuloa islands and bay. Look it up online for directions where to park. Bring good sneakers. It's a short hike but goes up and up and up. Have lunch in Kailua Town at Zippys', order "chicken katsu curry saimin".

Hawaii No Ka Oi
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8473
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 pm

Presintense wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm
Manoa Falls Trail.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... awaii.html
Bring mosquito repellent spray or wipes. Lot's
The trail can be fairly muddy in spots. Be prepared.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8473
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:30 pm
Book an excursion for everybody in your group to Volcanoes National Park.
OP is on Oahu. Volcanoes National Park is on the Big Island and a long long way from Kona Airport. On a one week vacation to Oahu, it would take an interisland flight, very very early, then rent a car, then to Volcanoes, then back then late flight back to Oahu. Well worth it if the time constraints work. Trip Conference on July 30.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 728
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by onthecusp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:04 pm

1. Anything Sandtrap recommends is probably better. They all sound wonderful.
2. I'll second the recommendations for Hanauma Bay if you like snorkling, otherwise stay away, although "snorkling" could involve wading into waist deep water with a mask, sticking your head in the water and seeing about a hundred colorful fish.
3. My own fond memory of Oahu is Keawaula Beach on the North West side of the island. All the way to the end of the road from the South West is nice volcanic rocks with surf crashing up through holes. Just before the end is a very uncrowded beach, no lifeguards etc. that I recall. Just a quiet place, though loud with surf. You drive through some non-touristy spots. Just keep going.

cadreamer2015
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: North County San Diego

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by cadreamer2015 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:53 am

Born and raised in Honolulu, have been back for visits many many times since I moved away. Additional pointers/thoughts:

If snorkeling appeals, definitely go to Hanauma Bay. I suggest going early in your stay in Honolulu. Your body clock will want you to wake up at 4 AM or earlier local time, so an early morning trip (getting there at 7 AM or so) will feel not so early to you. Use reef friendly sunscreen - that is the only kind sold in Hawaii starting in 2021. https://www.hawaii.com/blog/reef-safe-sunscreen/ You can rent snorkels, masks and fins at Snorkel Bob's. I'm sure there are other places but Snokel Bob's is good - they have a location on Kapahulu Avenue near Waikiki.

While you are on Kapahulu Avenue, go to Leonard's Bakery and get a malasada for everyone. Again I recommend going early in the day before it gets crowded. I'm partial to the original malasada, but you can get filled malasadas too. Best when eaten warm.

Manoa Falls was a favorite place growing up in Manoa Valley. Be ready to get your shoes muddy if you go. While you are up at the head of the valley you might visit Lyon Arboretum, associated with the University of Hawaii, for a wonderful, quiet place to see many native and introduced plants.

Another place worth visiting that has not been mentioned yet, I think, is Waimea Falls park. This is a paid attraction, but it is very nice with a waterfall and pool you can jump into if you bring or wear your swim suit. You will also see Waimea Bay, site of the Eddie Aikau Big Wave Invitational which is held when waves get well over 20 feet. While there you might visit Pu'u O Mahuka Heiau State Historic Site, an ancient Hawaiian Heiau or temple. http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/oahu/p ... oric-site/

One of my favorite places for Hawaiian food is the Highway Inn. https://www.myhighwayinn.com/ They have locations in Kaka'ako and Waipahu and, according to their website, a cafe' at the Bishop Museum.

The earlier suggestions of 'Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, Pearl Harbor, perhaps a luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center are all good ones.

Remember that Oahu is much, much more than Waikiki. There are still plenty of places to get away from the concrete and crowds. Try to get a sense of the local culture and listen for locals speaking pidgin. Hawaii is really like no other place in the U.S.
De gustibus non est disputandum

livesoft
Posts: 68594
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by livesoft » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 pm
livesoft wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:30 pm
Book an excursion for everybody in your group to Volcanoes National Park.
OP is on Oahu. Volcanoes National Park is on the Big Island and a long long way from Kona Airport. On a one week vacation to Oahu, it would take an interisland flight, very very early, then rent a car, then to Volcanoes, then back then late flight back to Oahu. Well worth it if the time constraints work. Trip Conference on July 30.
No car rental needed. There are tour companies that do this: Pick you up at your Oahu hotel, drive to airport, fly you, pick you up on big island and drive you to VNP with a guide, show & tell you things all day, drive you back to airport, fly back, pick you up, and drive you back to your hotel.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8473
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:37 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:26 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 pm
livesoft wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:30 pm
Book an excursion for everybody in your group to Volcanoes National Park.
OP is on Oahu. Volcanoes National Park is on the Big Island and a long long way from Kona Airport. On a one week vacation to Oahu, it would take an interisland flight, very very early, then rent a car, then to Volcanoes, then back then late flight back to Oahu. Well worth it if the time constraints work. Trip Conference on July 30.
No car rental needed. There are tour companies that do this: Pick you up at your Oahu hotel, drive to airport, fly you, pick you up on big island and drive you to VNP with a guide, show & tell you things all day, drive you back to airport, fly back, pick you up, and drive you back to your hotel.
Terrific!
Even better.
I did not know that.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

TLC1957
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 am
Location: Pa

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by TLC1957 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:11 am

FYI

The USS Arizona Memorial is currently closed for repairs.


https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

WhyNotUs
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:16 am

A short somewhat funny read with some background on Hawaii before your trip is "Unfamiliar Fishes" by Sarah Vowell. If you like NPR you will probably like it.

You said Honolulu, are you staying in Waikiki or in the financial district? That would change my suggestions.

I think spending a morning checking out historic sites in Honolulu is worthwhile, there are tours or one can self-guide, here is one resource:
https://historichawaii.org/2013/12/27/h ... ded-tours/
After my walk, I would go a few blocks to Chinatown and walk around it and get lunch. If you are staying in Waikiki, you can catch a bus back to the beach. Honolulu is an important hub of economic activity in the Pacific Rim and has a colorful history.

A day with a car can be enjoyable. If you are fascinated with WWII then the choice will be obvious to see Pearl harbor and Punchbowl. If you are really into that, there are many tours. If that is less of an attraction, head over the Pali to Kailua. I would combine a couple of Sandtrap's ideas. I assume he is recommending the Pillbox hike. It is best early in the day as it is a stair stepper type hike but pretty short. After the hike check out Lanikai Beach and Kailua Beach below. After lunch take the King's Highway to the north shore and visit at least one of the wonderful beaches there- Sunset or Waimea are good choices. There are a couple of markets in the area (Haleiwa) and you can buy some drinks of choice and a picnic for sunset at Waimea Bay. Once it is dark, finish the loop with H1 back to Honolulu.

The hike up Diamond Head is another nice up and down but as noted is best early in the day. There are some cool little spots for lunch along Monsarrat after you are done. People watching at Kapiolani Park is usually good, always something going on there. My favorite spot for swimming (like laps) is nearby just north of the New Otani.

If you have any interest in surfing, I have been a lot of places and not seen a better place to learn than Waikiki. For an easier version you could take up stand up paddling and get a lesson to try to get into waves.

For me, no one should go to Hanauma Bay for about 10 years, it needs a rest.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

A-Commoner
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by A-Commoner » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:33 am

Kailua beach! Beautiful, not crowded. Powdery soft white sand, clear water, waves not too rough. This is the Obama’s vacation haunt.

myleaf
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by myleaf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:47 am

If you like to hike. The Koko Crater Trail You climb up an old rail track using the ties as stair steps. View at the top is awesome! Near Hanauma Bay.
"Never met an electron I did not like"

myleaf
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by myleaf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:08 am

FireHorse wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 pm
Don't mind me cut in.....

Any mid to high end restaurants with reasonable price and unbelievably good food?
Alan Wong
Side Street Inn
"Never met an electron I did not like"

PhoebeCoco
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:33 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by PhoebeCoco » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am

I agree with the "No car rental needed" sentiment.

I went to Honolulu last November and had a wonderful time riding around the city on the rental bicycles:

https://gobiki.org/

They are everywhere - at least every couple of blocks. Bike lanes are plentiful. You escape the horrible car traffic. And you can cruise on your bicycle on the long stretch of bike lane/road by Waikiki Beach - an experience not to be missed.

I paid $20 for the 300 minute plan.

uclalien
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by uclalien » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:26 am

PhoebeCoco wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am
I agree with the "No car rental needed" sentiment.

I went to Honolulu last November and had a wonderful time riding around the city on the rental bicycles:

https://gobiki.org/

They are everywhere - at least every couple of blocks. Bike lanes are plentiful. You escape the horrible car traffic. And you can cruise on your bicycle on the long stretch of bike lane/road by Waikiki Beach - an experience not to be missed.

I paid $20 for the 300 minute plan.
I have to disagree with this approach. You will miss out on so much of what Oahu has to offer without a car. Get out of Waikiki. Places like Kailua offer so much more. And bicycles/tour busses will severely limit your experience.

uclalien
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by uclalien » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:45 am

My family just got back from Oahu (we've gone 2 of the last 3 years) and my wife wrote a very detailed blog post on this topic. I really enjoy the diversity of activities/options on Oahu. Hope it helps.

https://freetotravelmama.com/oahu-itinerary-7-days/

It's likely to be pretty warm and can be humid this time of year. I suggest getting up early and experiencing the island first thing before it gets too hot, then going back to your hotel/condo and resting for a bit (maybe even showering depending on your activities) before heading out again.

montanagirl
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by montanagirl » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:52 am

dbr wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 pm
Climb to the top of Diamond Head. Consider going very early in the morning.
Second this. Best thing we did there.

User avatar
JPH
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by JPH » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:48 am

The art museum (good restaurant) and aquarium also are very nice. Both are easily reached from Waikiki on TheBus.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

harrychan
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by harrychan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:11 pm

The farmer's market at Kapiolani Community College is a must go for my family and I. Since you are landing on Friday, it will work out perfectly. Don't bother going on Tuesday night. There is maybe 1/10 of the vendors there on the weekday.

https://www.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/projec ... rs-market/
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

harrychan
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by harrychan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:13 pm

uclalien wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:26 am
PhoebeCoco wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:14 am
I agree with the "No car rental needed" sentiment.

I went to Honolulu last November and had a wonderful time riding around the city on the rental bicycles:

https://gobiki.org/

They are everywhere - at least every couple of blocks. Bike lanes are plentiful. You escape the horrible car traffic. And you can cruise on your bicycle on the long stretch of bike lane/road by Waikiki Beach - an experience not to be missed.

I paid $20 for the 300 minute plan.
I have to disagree with this approach. You will miss out on so much of what Oahu has to offer without a car. Get out of Waikiki. Places like Kailua offer so much more. And bicycles/tour busses will severely limit your experience.
Yeah it's pretty dangerous to bike around Waikiki with a mix of locals being impatient with tourists in rental cars. Every time I am there, it seems there is a traffic death involving a tourist on a bike or scooter.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

majiaknight
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:55 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by majiaknight » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:58 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 pm

1. You have roughly 1 week. so a trip to the outer islands would take too much valuable time.
2. Thus, Oahu. Rent a car.
3. Drive around the island.
4. Spend time at Kailua Beach on the Windward Side. It is not as touristy and one of the most pretty beaches around.
5. If you can devote a very long day, visit the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.
6. Go to a "luau", eat Hawaiian food. Do not eat poi by itself. Eat it with things, preferably tasty things.
7. The crab/seafood buffet at the Sheraton is one of the best on the island. Bring an appetite.
8. If within time and budget, take a helicopter ride of the island of Oahu.
9. Visit Hanauma Bay in Hawaii Kai, bring snorkel gear or rent it. It is a protected wildlife area and the fish will swim up to you. Go early, it gets real real real crowded.
10. If you are in Waikiki, stroll the beach and shoreline at night.
11. Go to Zippies and order "chicken katsu curry saimin bowl".
12. Visit Punchbowl Memorial Military Cemetary in Makiki, great view of Honolulu and beyond from there.
13. Visit the Dole Plantation Pineapple tour out past Wahiawa.
14. Go to the Makapuu Point Lookout and look for whales in the Molokai Channel.
15. Find out what a Hawaiian Plate Lunch is, and all the types, and eat them.
16. Diamond Head Crater hike. Right now it is "hot hot hot hot". Go early.
17. Manoa Falls Hike in Nuuanu. Bring lots and lots of mosquito repellent or wipes. They are "hungry".
18. There's a "local" hike up the back of Lanikai with an awesome view of the Mokuloa islands and bay. Look it up online for directions where to park. Bring good sneakers. It's a short hike but goes up and up and up. Have lunch in Kailua Town at Zippys', order "chicken katsu curry saimin".

Hawaii No Ka Oi
j :D
Great tips! Thanks. :beer

HawkeyePierce
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:08 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:11 am
FYI

The USS Arizona Memorial is currently closed for repairs.


https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
The memorial itself is closed but I would still visit (though admittedly if you can't get tickets for the harbor ride around the memorial, I wouldn't kick myself over it).

The site itself is still moving and you'll be able to see the Bowfin, Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum all the same place. I highly recommend the Missouri (the ship Macarthur and the Allies accepted the Japanese surrender on in Tokyo Bay). The tour is excellent and you can explore all over the ship.

The bow of the sunken Arizona faces the bow of the MIssouri. Beautiful contrast between the ship the brought America into the Pacific war and the ship that ended it.

dbr
Posts: 30798
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by dbr » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:12 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:08 pm
TLC1957 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:11 am
FYI

The USS Arizona Memorial is currently closed for repairs.


https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
The memorial itself is closed but I would still visit (though admittedly if you can't get tickets for the harbor ride around the memorial, I wouldn't kick myself over it).

The site itself is still moving and you'll be able to see the Bowfin, Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum all the same place. I highly recommend the Missouri (the ship Macarthur and the Allies accepted the Japanese surrender on in Tokyo Bay). The tour is excellent and you can explore all over the ship.

The bow of the sunken Arizona faces the bow of the MIssouri. Beautiful contrast between the ship the brought America into the Pacific war and the ship that ended it.
All of this is true. We took the Arizona cruise and spent hours on the Missouri. Simply to be in/at Pearl Harbor is a must do.

TLC1957
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 am
Location: Pa

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by TLC1957 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:30 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:08 pm
TLC1957 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:11 am
FYI

The USS Arizona Memorial is currently closed for repairs.


https://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
The memorial itself is closed but I would still visit (though admittedly if you can't get tickets for the harbor ride around the memorial, I wouldn't kick myself over it).

The site itself is still moving and you'll be able to see the Bowfin, Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum all the same place. I highly recommend the Missouri (the ship Macarthur and the Allies accepted the Japanese surrender on in Tokyo Bay). The tour is excellent and you can explore all over the ship.

The bow of the sunken Arizona faces the bow of the MIssouri. Beautiful contrast between the ship the brought America into the Pacific war and the ship that ended it.
I agree 100% we visited in 2017....we did visit the Arizona exactly for 12 minutes after waiting 2 hours for our visit time. I was really disappointed in the amount of time they permitted us to be on the memorial. Did not even finish reading all the information and they called us back. How did I know it was 12 minutes...I took a photo just as we landed on the memorial!!

We spent a month on the islands it was our 50th state we visited...saved the best for the last....well Alaska was 49 which was not bad ....lol

Enjoy your time truly a beautiful place.

SueG5123
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:41 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by SueG5123 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Kamala ukulele company offers a tour on Friday mornings... free... You don’t have to play ukulele to appreciate this wonderful piece of Craftsmanship and history. Sam Kamala Sr. held the patent on the “pineapple” uke, and his sons Son Jr. and Fred (both in their upper 90s) are still on the premises. Fred usually gives the tour, in fact. If you do play ukulele (and I do)... this is spectacular, seeing the artisans who handcraft each instrument. My highest recommendation when in Oahu.

Topic Author
veena9111
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by veena9111 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Wings5 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:17 pm
Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha for delicious shaved ice.
Thank You so much.I am sorry was out most of the day

Topic Author
veena9111
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by veena9111 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:21 pm

Thank You, everyone. I appreciate the response. My apologies for not answering. I had no access to the internet.

Topic Author
veena9111
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by veena9111 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:24 pm

majiaknight wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:58 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 pm

1. You have roughly 1 week. so a trip to the outer islands would take too much valuable time.
2. Thus, Oahu. Rent a car.
3. Drive around the island.
4. Spend time at Kailua Beach on the Windward Side. It is not as touristy and one of the most pretty beaches around.
5. If you can devote a very long day, visit the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.
6. Go to a "luau", eat Hawaiian food. Do not eat poi by itself. Eat it with things, preferably tasty things.
7. The crab/seafood buffet at the Sheraton is one of the best on the island. Bring an appetite.
8. If within time and budget, take a helicopter ride of the island of Oahu.
9. Visit Hanauma Bay in Hawaii Kai, bring snorkel gear or rent it. It is a protected wildlife area and the fish will swim up to you. Go early, it gets real real real crowded.
10. If you are in Waikiki, stroll the beach and shoreline at night.
11. Go to Zippies and order "chicken katsu curry saimin bowl".
12. Visit Punchbowl Memorial Military Cemetary in Makiki, great view of Honolulu and beyond from there.
13. Visit the Dole Plantation Pineapple tour out past Wahiawa.
14. Go to the Makapuu Point Lookout and look for whales in the Molokai Channel.
15. Find out what a Hawaiian Plate Lunch is, and all the types, and eat them.
16. Diamond Head Crater hike. Right now it is "hot hot hot hot". Go early.
17. Manoa Falls Hike in Nuuanu. Bring lots and lots of mosquito repellent or wipes. They are "hungry".
18. There's a "local" hike up the back of Lanikai with an awesome view of the Mokuloa islands and bay. Look it up online for directions where to park. Bring good sneakers. It's a short hike but goes up and up and up. Have lunch in Kailua Town at Zippys', order "chicken katsu curry saimin".

Hawaii No Ka Oi
j :D
Great tips! Thanks. :beer

Thank you so much.Sorry for not responding earlier.I was out most of the day

FireHorse
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by FireHorse » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:57 am

myleaf wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:08 am
FireHorse wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 pm
Don't mind me cut in.....

Any mid to high end restaurants with reasonable price and unbelievably good food?
Alan Wong
Side Street Inn
Many thanks for the suggestion!

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by heartwood » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:54 am

FireHorse wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:57 am
myleaf wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:08 am
FireHorse wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:52 pm
Don't mind me cut in.....

Any mid to high end restaurants with reasonable price and unbelievably good food?
Alan Wong
Side Street Inn
Many thanks for the suggestion!
Lots of others, but our current higher-end favorite is Senia. Favorite for food. Decor is clean with booths; not fancy. Maybe seats 35?

http://restaurantsenia.com/ No online menu I can find. Here's a pix of the lunch menu from yelp.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/senia-h ... AcUPh7v7KA

Dinner reservations can be a wait of days or more and pricey. Lunch is very good with a $35 prix fixe and generally available as walk-in on weekdays, but call ahead.

No reservations on opentable, but on a new app Resy or call them.

If you go bring a sweater or they will lend you a shawl!

Paris-Hawaii is also interesting and trendy. And very pricey. https://www.paris-hawaii.us/

cadreamer2015
Posts: 896
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: North County San Diego

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by cadreamer2015 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:19 am

Besides Highway Inn for Hawaiian food I love Uncle’s Fish Market on Pier 38 for fish and poke. For a retro tiki bar with good food and sometimes live music, try La Mariana Sailing Club (it can be a little hard to find off of Sand Island access road).
Last edited by cadreamer2015 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8473
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:13 am

Something to get you started.
Kailua Beach on the Windward side of the island of Oahu, over the mountains from Honolulu/Waikiki.
[url]Image[/url

Eats, nearby town of Kaneohe on Kahuhipa Street.
Koa House -- open breakfast and lunch only. Korean style local food. Always busy.
Kalbi Short Ribs is incredible.

Aloha
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
veena9111
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by veena9111 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Thank You so much.
Without everyone's input, my trip would have been haphazard. All suggestions have made it possible for me to make a logical itinerary without running north, then south and all over.
I am grateful to my boglehead community
Regards

FireHorse
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by FireHorse » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:55 am

veena9111 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:07 pm
Thank You so much.
Without everyone's input, my trip would have been haphazard. All suggestions have made it possible for me to make a logical itinerary without running north, then south and all over.
I am grateful to my boglehead community
Regards
OP, have a great time in Hawaii.
I am glad that you started this thread, it helps with my trip to Hawaii too

Cheers

ponyboy
Posts: 780
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by ponyboy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:55 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:13 am
Something to get you started.
Kailua Beach on the Windward side of the island of Oahu, over the mountains from Honolulu/Waikiki.
[url]Image[/url

Eats, nearby town of Kaneohe on Kahuhipa Street.
Koa House -- open breakfast and lunch only. Korean style local food. Always busy.
Kalbi Short Ribs is incredible.

Aloha
j
Picture is pretty, but this beach sucks imo. Its too windy, you get pelted with sand constantly. Yes, I know its the windy side of the island. Cool place to watch windsurfers though. I still think waimea bay is one of the nicer beaches in terms of calmness (summer months), huge beach, picturesque, and decent snorkeling (to the left of the rock everyone jumps off of.) Parking can suck though. Unless you get there early, you'll be parking on the side of the road, which is also fine.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8473
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:10 am

ponyboy wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:55 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:13 am
Something to get you started.
Kailua Beach on the Windward side of the island of Oahu, over the mountains from Honolulu/Waikiki.
[url]Image[/url

Eats, nearby town of Kaneohe on Kahuhipa Street.
Koa House -- open breakfast and lunch only. Korean style local food. Always busy.
Kalbi Short Ribs is incredible.

Aloha
j
Picture is pretty, but this beach sucks imo. Its too windy, you get pelted with sand constantly. Yes, I know its the windy side of the island. Cool place to watch windsurfers though. I still think waimea bay is one of the nicer beaches in terms of calmness (summer months), huge beach, picturesque, and decent snorkeling (to the left of the rock everyone jumps off of.) Parking can suck though. Unless you get there early, you'll be parking on the side of the road, which is also fine.
Youre right.
Good points.

I lived 1 mile away from Kailua Beach. It has good days and not so good days.
Also lived in Pupukea.
Waimea is wonderful, too. Especially summer.

There are so many beaches and great places to go for everyone which is wonderful.

Thanks for posting.
Hawaii No Ka Oi
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Trip to Honolulu

Post by heartwood » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Kailua and Lanikai are beautiful beaches on most days. Windy days can be a problem. They've become so popular that street parking in Lanakai is now banned on weekends and holidays even for residents. This causes traffic jams backing up into the Kailua beaches. We avoid both towns on weekends.

Waimea is one of our favorite beaches, winter or summer. It's a bit further from Honolulu and parking is always a problem. Traffic on weekends can be terrible. Personally, I'd skip the Waimea Valley park across the highway from the beach. There is an admission fee. The waterfall is a fairly long walk in/out.

Post Reply