wine in cans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
heartwood
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

wine in cans

Post by heartwood » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:52 am

To avoid hijacking the thread on box wines viewtopic.php?f=11&t=285887&newpost=464 ... ead#unread I'll start a new one on wine in cans.

I'm probably late to notice wine in cans since there are so many available at stores like Total Wine when I checked.

I recently received a can of 14 Hands Hot To Trot (HTT) red wine blend. The can equals a half bottle and sells for $4.79 at Total Wine.

HTT is a decent wine that we've bought many times over the years often at places like the Cheesecake Factory, but also for a cheap home bottle.

I'm not sure what niche canned wine fills other than no corkscrew needed, or having a half "bottle" when you don't want a whole one. On the other hand how do you save a half can of red without a corkscrew? The HTT is $4.79 in the can and $9.17 in a full bottle at our Total Wine.

Any cans you've tried and liked? Anyone tried one of the sparking wines?

tenkuky
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by tenkuky » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:59 am

While I haven't, see below Wine Spectator ratings for this exciting new trend....
https://www.winespectator.com/articles/ ... -and-boxes

ohai
Posts: 921
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by ohai » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:05 am

This sounds like a party novelty product. I don't have anything against wine in cans or in boxes, but as you mentioned, portion control is difficult. You'd have to pour the remaining can wine into another container to save it, which defeats the purpose of having a special wine can. Most people probably won't drink a full can of the wine, unlike beer or some other drink.

MrSarcasm
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by MrSarcasm » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:36 am

ohai wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:05 am
Most people probably won't drink a full can of the wine, unlike beer or some other drink.
If they're drinking wine out of a can, I bet they'll drink the whole can. :sharebeer

james_madison
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:19 am

Re: wine in cans

Post by james_madison » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 am

At our neighborhood pool, there's a strict "no glass" policy, so bringing wine in cans gets the job done.

Can't comment on saving an open can of wine -- hasn't been a problem yet! :beer

psteinx
Posts: 3207
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:24 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by psteinx » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am

So, a general problem with this concept (as well as, for me, wine in boxes), is that at least part of the experience of any consumption (not just of wine, but of other drinks, foods, etc.), is the environment. It's why an otherwise so-so hot dog can be especially good at a baseball game on a nice sunny day. Or why it often feels better to drink a beer out of a glass or out of a glass bottle versus directly from the can.

At least part of the "wine is an elegant, sophisticated drink" mentality that tends to improve the experience for me, and others, is starting with a nice bottle, then removing an actual wood cork (or a decent facsimile), and then pouring some into a wine glass.

Popping a tab and chugging from a can would likely be a significant detractor for me, even if the contents were identical to those done in the traditional manner.

Shallowpockets
Posts: 1248
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: wine in cans

Post by Shallowpockets » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Truth here is that if you cannot drink the whole can, then don't buy it that way. Truth is that you can also pour the can of wine into a glass and not chug it down right from the can. So the experience of your "environment" can still be enjoyed.

Think outside the box.
Backpacking
no glass rules
Packs better than a bottle.
Not as heavy.
Not as obvious/intrusive.

GCD
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by GCD » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:19 pm

psteinx wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am

At least part of the "wine is an elegant, sophisticated drink" mentality that tends to improve the experience for me, and others, is starting with a nice bottle, then removing an actual wood cork (or a decent facsimile), and then pouring some into a wine glass.
My wife and I recently attended a wine presentation where the sommelier mentioned that cork has an 8% failure rate, plastic and other synthetics a 3-5% failure rate and screw tops a 1% failure rate. He said the French are horrified at the prospect of anything other than cork and it is unlikely they will ever change due to the historical styles of presentation. However Australia and other areas are leading the way with screw tops.

We drink a lot of wine and I find the 8% number way too high. But I am noticing more and more screw tops. Corks may fall away over time no matter what the French want.

wmackey
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:38 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by wmackey » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:23 pm

6 - 8 years ago I was traveling in South America and the convenience store had 12 oz cans of wine next to the soda. Bought two, drank one, and gave the other away. Drinking wine like a can of soda just didn't work for me.

lazydavid
Posts: 2377
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by lazydavid » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:36 pm

wmackey wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:23 pm
6 - 8 years ago I was traveling in South America and the convenience store had 12 oz cans of wine next to the soda. Bought two, drank one, and gave the other away. Drinking wine like a can of soda just didn't work for me.
As mentioned above, packaging and method of consumption are not inextricably linked. What would you have done if you'd bought a bottle or half-bottle (split) instead of a can? Grabbed it around the neck and hammered it back as if you were a teenager at a frat party?

bhsince87
Posts: 2433
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by bhsince87 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:47 pm

I love wine in cans! Wish there were more wineries offering it.

They are much more convenient for things like concerts and picnics.

They're also nice for BYOB restaurants. If the wife and I take a full bottle to such a place, we seldom finish the entire bottle. Then we have to toss the rest, since it's illegal to have an open container in the car.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

MJS
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by MJS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Trader Joe's 187ml / ~6oz cans of wine are handy for picnics, camping and lunch. The rosé is good for a summer afternoon sip by the pool or patio - both in taste & size. Ah, I do pour mine into a glass.

tenkuky
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by tenkuky » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 pm

GCD wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:19 pm
psteinx wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am

At least part of the "wine is an elegant, sophisticated drink" mentality that tends to improve the experience for me, and others, is starting with a nice bottle, then removing an actual wood cork (or a decent facsimile), and then pouring some into a wine glass.
My wife and I recently attended a wine presentation where the sommelier mentioned that cork has an 8% failure rate, plastic and other synthetics a 3-5% failure rate and screw tops a 1% failure rate. He said the French are horrified at the prospect of anything other than cork and it is unlikely they will ever change due to the historical styles of presentation. However Australia and other areas are leading the way with screw tops.

We drink a lot of wine and I find the 8% number way too high. But I am noticing more and more screw tops. Corks may fall away over time no matter what the French want.
Yes, and the wine elitists don't want to admit that screw-cap failure is lower than cork. Not to mention TCA-led bottle variation and other problems. Research has shown that it is impossible to tell the difference between a screwcap wine and cork one blind.

barnaclebob
Posts: 3772
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: wine in cans

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:15 pm

psteinx wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am
So, a general problem with this concept (as well as, for me, wine in boxes), is that at least part of the experience of any consumption (not just of wine, but of other drinks, foods, etc.), is the environment. It's why an otherwise so-so hot dog can be especially good at a baseball game on a nice sunny day. Or why it often feels better to drink a beer out of a glass or out of a glass bottle versus directly from the can.

At least part of the "wine is an elegant, sophisticated drink" mentality that tends to improve the experience for me, and others, is starting with a nice bottle, then removing an actual wood cork (or a decent facsimile), and then pouring some into a wine glass.

Popping a tab and chugging from a can would likely be a significant detractor for me, even if the contents were identical to those done in the traditional manner.
I too get cravings for hot dogs at baseball games. But I can also say that drinking wine straight from a 1L box on a backpacking trip tastes great.

psteinx
Posts: 3207
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:24 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by psteinx » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:29 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 pm
Research has shown that it is impossible to tell the difference between a screwcap wine and cork one blind.
But most people are not blind, and the aesthetics of food and drink consumption matter.

tenkuky
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by tenkuky » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:33 pm

psteinx wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:29 pm
tenkuky wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 pm
Research has shown that it is impossible to tell the difference between a screwcap wine and cork one blind.
But most people are not blind, and the aesthetics of food and drink consumption matter.
Touche. Agree on the aesthetics, but you get my point. I ain't taking a chance on a "corked" wine if I get the equivalent in screw cap. Nothing like "wet dog" aroma to ruin the aesthetics completely.

mikemikemike
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by mikemikemike » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:50 pm

I collect wine and drink a lot of fancy wine at home out of my good Zalto stems; I'm especially partial to Burgundy. Fancy wine comes in bottles. That's just how it is.

I also drink wine straight from the can while picknicking or sailing. Often drink a whole can (1/2 bottle). For this use case, it's way more convenient than bottles, and I'm not so focused on the wine that I really care if it's unique and fancy, or somewhat plain. So long as it's palatable I'm happy. The underwood pinot noir fits this bill.

Summary: wine in cans good for when you don't care if the wine is very good, and like the convenient form factor. There are many such use cases.

GCD
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by GCD » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Inspired by this thread, I bought a 12 oz. can of red wine. Specifically "House Wine" the original red blend, product of Chile. This stuff was terrible. I managed 3 sips. My wife took one sip and declared that she wasn't going to help me with the rest. We aren't wine snobs by any means. We both like 2-Buck-Chuck and most of the wine we drink is in the $12-20 a bottle range. I poured the rest of the can out.

I was interested because if there is a good canned wine out there it would be great for nights where you wanted one glass but didn't want to open a whole bottle. I think at this point there isn't an intrinsic problem with canning wine, it's just that no good wine is sold in cans. It's going to take some serious rave reviews in Wine Enthusiast before I pick up a can of wine again.

User avatar
TxAg
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am

Re: wine in cans

Post by TxAg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:53 pm

They work great for travel or outdoor settings.

7eight9
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by 7eight9 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:57 pm

GCD wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:49 pm
Inspired by this thread, I bought a 12 oz. can of red wine. Specifically "House Wine" the original red blend, product of Chile. This stuff was terrible. I managed 3 sips. My wife took one sip and declared that she wasn't going to help me with the rest. We aren't wine snobs by any means. We both like 2-Buck-Chuck and most of the wine we drink is in the $12-20 a bottle range. I poured the rest of the can out.

I was interested because if there is a good canned wine out there it would be great for nights where you wanted one glass but didn't want to open a whole bottle. I think at this point there isn't an intrinsic problem with canning wine, it's just that no good wine is sold in cans. It's going to take some serious rave reviews in Wine Enthusiast before I pick up a can of wine again.
Wine Spectator reviewed wines in cans. Ranged from 84-88.

There have never been more options for wine on the go. A wave of producers is packaging high-quality wine in both cans and boxes from a range of grapes, such as Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Zinfandel and Rhône varieties, with some foregoing bottles altogether. Below are some of the highest-rated alternatively packaged wines from recent tastings, perfect for a day at the beach, or anywhere cumbersome bottles can't go.

Link --- https://www.winespectator.com/articles/ ... -and-boxes
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

GCD
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by GCD » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:01 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:57 pm
GCD wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:49 pm
It's going to take some serious rave reviews in Wine Enthusiast before I pick up a can of wine again.
Wine Spectator reviewed wines in cans. Ranged from 84-88.
Ha. You can see I have paid little attention to wine in cans. OK, if I see one of the better rated ones I will reconsider. Thanks for the link.

User avatar
BogleFanGal
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by BogleFanGal » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:41 pm

I'm a traditionalist that likes the ceremony of the cork, but I could also happily get used to screw top bottles in time because (A) no separate opener is needed and (B) easy to reseal. But cans - no way! Regardless of wine taste, I want the ability to reseal. That container style definitely doesn't work for me.

unstartable
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by unstartable » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:13 pm

I rarely drink wine, but I go to lots of events, parties, small gatherings and drink beer. My wife cannot drink beer b/c gluten allergy so she'll bring along a can of wine. Works perfectly.

Northern Flicker
Posts: 4382
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:29 am

Re: wine in cans

Post by Northern Flicker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Yes, and the wine elitists don't want to admit that screw-cap failure is lower than cork. Not to mention TCA-led bottle variation and other problems. Research has shown that it is impossible to tell the difference between a screwcap wine and cork one blind.
It depends on how long the wine is in the bottle before being opened and drunk. Wine in a bottle is a living thing that is still changing. When a bottle of wine is stored horizontally on a rack, the area of cork in contact with the wine allows very small amounts of air/oxygen from outside the bottle to diffuse in and very small amounts of CO2 to diffuse out. If too much oxygen is allowed in, the wine will oxidize and spoil (cork failure). If too little oxygen is allowed in, the ongoing processes will become anaerobic and reduction will result (reduction is the opposite of oxidation). Reduction will cause objectionable, odorous, sulfur-based compounds to form, leading to a musty, unappealing smell that may resemble rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide) or a natural gas leak (mercaptan formation).

Metal screw tops (or cans) eliminate 100% of the diffusion of gases between the inside and outside of the bottle. Thus, they are really only suitable for wine that will be consumed within 12 months of release, if not sooner. Wines that have been unfiltered and unfined are the most prone to reduction, so it is especially important for them to be stored horizontally, and to have been sealed with a cork not a screw cap.

I think most cork problems are from cork taint, not cork failure. Corks may have impurities that affect the biochemical processes in the wine to create their own profile of odorous side products. When someone says a bottle of wine has been corked, they generally are referring to cork taint, not cork failure.
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dottie57
Posts: 6564
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:32 pm

psteinx wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am
So, a general problem with this concept (as well as, for me, wine in boxes), is that at least part of the experience of any consumption (not just of wine, but of other drinks, foods, etc.), is the environment. It's why an otherwise so-so hot dog can be especially good at a baseball game on a nice sunny day. Or why it often feels better to drink a beer out of a glass or out of a glass bottle versus directly from the can.

At least part of the "wine is an elegant, sophisticated drink" mentality that tends to improve the experience for me, and others, is starting with a nice bottle, then removing an actual wood cork (or a decent facsimile), and then pouring some into a wine glass.

Popping a tab and chugging from a can would likely be a significant detractor for me, even if the contents were identical to those done in the traditional manner.
+1.

lazydavid
Posts: 2377
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:44 am

BogleFanGal wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:41 pm
I'm a traditionalist that likes the ceremony of the cork, but I could also happily get used to screw top bottles in time because (A) no separate opener is needed and (B) easy to reseal. But cans - no way! Regardless of wine taste, I want the ability to reseal. That container style definitely doesn't work for me.
Remember, cans are smaller than bottles too. I regularly reseal bottles as well, but I can hardly think of an occasion where I would open a bottle of wine and not have two glasses. If someone else is sharing with you, a can contains one glass for each of you. Do you regularly drink less than this?

User avatar
BogleFanGal
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by BogleFanGal » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:06 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:44 am
BogleFanGal wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:41 pm
I'm a traditionalist that likes the ceremony of the cork, but I could also happily get used to screw top bottles in time because (A) no separate opener is needed and (B) easy to reseal. But cans - no way! Regardless of wine taste, I want the ability to reseal. That container style definitely doesn't work for me.
Remember, cans are smaller than bottles too. I regularly reseal bottles as well, but I can hardly think of an occasion where I would open a bottle of wine and not have two glasses. If someone else is sharing with you, a can contains one glass for each of you. Do you regularly drink less than this?
Yup, because DH and I like different wines, so we have his and her bottles and I don't have anyone to share it with. I'd love to enjoy 2 glasses each time :beer :beer and will indulge occasionally during a special dinner or vacations. But for ordinary days, it's too many calories and too much alcohol for a small framed person. Those extra pounds go on WAY too fast!

Atilla
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by Atilla » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:29 am

How can a name like "Porch Pounder" go wrong?
Image
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

Calli114
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 12:54 am

Re: wine in cans

Post by Calli114 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:42 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 pm
Truth here is that if you cannot drink the whole can, then don't buy it that way. Truth is that you can also pour the can of wine into a glass and not chug it down right from the can. So the experience of your "environment" can still be enjoyed.

Think outside the box.
Backpacking
no glass rules
Packs better than a bottle.
Not as heavy.
Not as obvious/intrusive.

I've not noticed this product - but certainly if picnicking or hiking, an empty can can be smashed and rolled up to tote out easily.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3597
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:20 pm

GCD wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:49 pm
Inspired by this thread, I bought a 12 oz. can of red wine. Specifically "House Wine" the original red blend, product of Chile. This stuff was terrible. I managed 3 sips. My wife took one sip and declared that she wasn't going to help me with the rest. We aren't wine snobs by any means. We both like 2-Buck-Chuck and most of the wine we drink is in the $12-20 a bottle range. I poured the rest of the can out.

I was interested because if there is a good canned wine out there it would be great for nights where you wanted one glass but didn't want to open a whole bottle. I think at this point there isn't an intrinsic problem with canning wine, it's just that no good wine is sold in cans. It's going to take some serious rave reviews in Wine Enthusiast before I pick up a can of wine again.
I tend to avoid South American wines in general. They haven't been as good as California wines.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3597
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 pm

heartwood wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:52 am

Any cans you've tried and liked? Anyone tried one of the sparking wines?
Trader Joe's has some good Australian reds in a can.

Surprising thing was I couldn't find them in Sydney last year.

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 4254
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:04 pm

learn something new everyday. didn't know wine came in cans. did a search and this washington post article says wine in a can is fine, but don't drink it from the can, but rather pour it into a glass otherwise it won't taste and/or smell as good as it should if drunk from the can:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 210dc132b9
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

EddyB
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by EddyB » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:23 pm

james_madison wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:53 am
At our neighborhood pool, there's a strict "no glass" policy, so bringing wine in cans gets the job done.

Can't comment on saving an open can of wine -- hasn't been a problem yet! :beer
Also good for camping.

Gryphon
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 11:43 am

Re: wine in cans

Post by Gryphon » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:23 pm

EddyB wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:23 pm
Also good for camping.
Second this. I don't have room in my RV fridge for a full-size bottle of wine. The small single serving cans & bottles work great, though.

Although, to be honest, even if the fridge was larger I would still go with the single serving containers just to avoid having to fool around with vacuums, or cans of nitrogen, or whatever the latest innovation is in preserving a partially consumed bottle of wine. I don't drink more than 1-2 glasses per week. At home I keep a box of wine in the fridge, but the RV fridge doesn't have room for one of those either.

Nissanzx1
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 pm

Re: wine in cans

Post by Nissanzx1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:05 pm

The acrobat Cans from Oregon are the best I’ve had. I’m in the wine biz. Only problem is that one can is half a bottle of wine, so don’t chug it like beer lol.

Post Reply