Your pick for a lawn edger

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Your pick for a lawn edger

Post by Tenesmus83 »

It seems there are limited options at Lowe’s/Home Depot
Yooper16

Re: Your pick for a lawn edger

Post by Yooper16 »

We just turn our string trimmer on the side. Took a bit of getting used to as we previously(until we moved) had a standard edger.

Does just as nice, 1 less tool to buy, 1 less tool to store and 1 less tool to maintain.
Spedward

Post by Spedward »

I was in the market as well, and I actually went with the Ryobe 40 volt cordless. My father-in-law is a maniac about his lawn and he sweats by it, and he have some commercial grade stuff. He tends to wipe out the gas powered stuff when he does his whole property - maybe once a month. But uses the Ryobe the rest of the time to keep around the house looking sharp.

If you don’t have a big yard, it works well. Super quiet too. Sometimes I will actually run out at 5:15 in the morning before getting ready for work and heading to the train. No one even knows you are out there.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

I use and like the Ryobi edger:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-9 ... /206481859

It's a metal blade instead of string. No more replacing the string. I've used mine for almost two years and the blade is fine. They don't usually carry them in the store. I had to order mine from HD online.

It uses 18v Ryobi batteries instead of gas. I have two 4 amp batteries. I have a 3/4 acre lot and it takes 75% of the batteries.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have a Stihl Combi-System with string trimmer and edger attachments - for example:

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi ... tem/km91r/
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi ... /fcsstrai/

Lots of power and very long lasting as well.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Wasn't satisfied with the results using my Ego string trimmer.

Bought this

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-140cc-g ... ockType=G1

18 months ago. I received $200 in cashback points, which I used for other merchandise, so my effective cost was $269-$200=$69 + tax :moneybag

The only issue I've had is hard starting when engine is cold (no primer button or manual choke). Carb is apparently tuned "lean" to comply with California regs. Tried to find appropriate carb jets on-line without result. I now use starting fluid ($3.99 for 16 ounces) to start the machine. Twist off air filter cover, spray starter fluid in carb intake for ~2 seconds, replace air filter and cover, and it starts on the first pull. Takes less than one minute. Once the engine is warm it restarts with a single pull. A little hassle but it works every time.

Also added an in-line gas shut-off valve.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Post by Tenesmus83 »

Isn’t Sears about to close?
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Post by Tenesmus83 »

My experience is that string trimmers are just no as effective as blades.
It will also need to be cordless and hopefully something that lasts a long time.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

For years I have had gas powered Ryobi weed eater edger combo. The edger attachment works fairly well. The string weed eater sucks. I've just never been able to master stringing the weed eater such that it consistently works.
strafe

Post by strafe »

Love the Ego edger (and all Ego lawn tools). Sold by Home Depot.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

I use a Husqvarna split shaft gas machine. You can exchange edger for weed eater. Have had it for 8 years, cranks on 2nd pull. Beware Echo brand as it is highly sensitive to gas with ethanol fuel. I found a local station that sells e free gas so I run all my small engines on it now. I have about 400ft of edging I do weekly April thru October.
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

I bought a used McLane edger (gas powered) from someone locally last year and have been happy with it. It needed a little work (new belt, new blade, etc.) but I am mechanically inclined and don't mind working on my yard equipment.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I just rent one from Home Depot once a year @ approx $30/4hrs. No maintenance or storage worries and works great.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

classicindexer wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:37 am I bought a used McLane edger (gas powered) from someone locally last year and have been happy with it. It needed a little work (new belt, new blade, etc.) but I am mechanically inclined and don't mind working on my yard equipment.
I bought a used one also. I like this vs a string trimmer because with a blade you can set it low and cut the grass roots to eliminate the spreading of the turf. Just be careful about any irrigation lines.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
jaydub71

Post by jaydub71 »

strafe wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:31 am Love the Ego edger (and all Ego lawn tools). Sold by Home Depot.
We have a relatively small yard and have the Ego edger, mower, blower, and weed eater. Love all of them. The edger was the last one purchased and I bought it without the battery since I had the other three. Saved about $100. No more gas cans or oil sitting around!
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Generic Roundup :beer
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
JEC

Post by JEC »

Manual edgers work surprisingly well. I just bought this one from Amazon and am very pleased.

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Weasel-91 ... ay&sr=8-10
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I just spray the edges with glycophosphate.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

If edges are trimmed/cut, wouldn't weeds invade?
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:35 pm Isn’t Sears about to close?
The Craftsman brand was sold to Lowes - see

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-140c ... 1000730620

Bought edger with cc that doubled the warranty. Edger made for Craftsman by MTD (per owner's manual), so parts are readily available.

https://www.mtdproducts.com/equipment/m ... ers-edgers

A bargain at the net cost to me... YMMV
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
strafe

Post by strafe »

mtmingus wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:59 am If edges are trimmed/cut, wouldn't weeds invade?
It might increase weed pressure slightly. I try not to let the blade cut too deep to avoid disturbing the pre-emergent or tilling up weed seeds. I spot treat the rare weed that breaks through once or twice a season with 2,4-D/dicamba.
jwtietz

Post by jwtietz »

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Pro-A ... /PAS-225VP this is a nice set, the stick edger concept is nice and easy to use. You can add attachments, I particularly like the hedge trimmer and the chainsaw. A different head with more power might be appropriate for your uses.
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Post by Tenesmus83 »

I would be interested in last years model if
It gets me a better deal
GoldStarDude

Post by GoldStarDude »

A few years ago I bought a Bolens walk behind edger (American Yard Products), from a big box store, and it was not very durable. I gave up and went and bought a McLane edger. Excellent machine! Highly recommend. Available on Amazon, or you might need to visit a lawn mower shop to find one.
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Post by Tenesmus83 »

i'm thinking of getting the CRAFTSMAN 140cc 4-Cycle Lawn Edger. For those who bought it, what did you think?
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:53 pm i'm thinking of getting the CRAFTSMAN 140cc 4-Cycle Lawn Edger. For those who bought it, what did you think?
See my posts above...
Seal the Deal

Post by Seal the Deal »

My pick is grass trimming shears. Yes, hand operated, cost about $15. It takes about 5 minutes to edge my medium sized front yard. Then I sweep (with a broom) which throws all the clippings back into the yard. Looks as good or better than the next door neighbor who uses a "professional" lawn care service to mow, trim, and blow.
queso

Post by queso »

Yooper16 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 pm We just turn our string trimmer on the side. Took a bit of getting used to as we previously(until we moved) had a standard edger.

Does just as nice, 1 less tool to buy, 1 less tool to store and 1 less tool to maintain.
+1. I bought a hand rotary edger a few years ago, but have gone back to just using the string trimmer held sideways. I never considered a dedicated power edger because I don't use it often enough to make it worth maintaining. I've developed pretty good technique with the string trimmer held sideways and can even do pretty good circles so I am sticking with that.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

A couple of months ago I picked up a Stihl FC 56. At $230 It is pricey compared to big box offerings, but after years of string trimmers to do edging, I admit this thing is much better. Much quicker than edging withthestring trimmer as well. Since my wife said she'd get a lawn service if the edging didn't improve. I purchased knowing full well that it would pay for itself in one mowing season.
goflyers13

Post by goflyers13 »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:37 pm My experience is that string trimmers are just no as effective as blades.
It will also need to be cordless and hopefully something that lasts a long time.
I'm sorry you feel this way. It's a glorious revelation to understand the edging power of a good string trimmer. The best part: you don't need to flush away an extra $200 on a unitasker! You only need one device to trim and edge!

I spent a couple summers working for a lawn service during high school/college, and we always used string trimmers to edge. It takes a little practice and technique, but it's very fast and effective once you have it down. With a proper string trimmer, I can edge a typical suburban lot (1/3 acre, driveway, sidewalk to the front door and along the road, curb, patio in the back) in less than 10 minutes. Granted, I've had a lot of practice, but I've never been able to achieve such a clean edge so quickly with a metal-bladed edger.

Here are my tips for edging with a string trimmer:
1. Use the right trimmer. It needs to be the kind with a long (~6 ft.), straight pole. The shorter ones with a bend in the pole are useless for edging. The ergonomics just don't work. A powerful engine/motor is helpful too.
2. Hold the trimmer out in front of you and walk backwards. This will direct the spray of debris away from you. Be careful that there aren't any cars in the path of your debris spray.
3. Edge regularly. I edge every time I mow. It's a lot easier to maintain an existing edge than it is to create a new one.
4. Wear hearing protection. The trimmer engine will be right next to your head, so ear plugs are a must.
5. Wear eye protection. The trimmer will inevitably kick up some little sticks and pebbles.
6. Watch a tutorial on YouTube. You can learn how to do anything short of brain surgery from YouTube.
FIREmeup

Post by FIREmeup »

If you are seeking for maintenance of edges and beds I would recommend an electric trimmer.

I bought a WORX trimmer/edger 2 years ago and it has been fantastic. I am very anti electric but for this case it is extremely easy for me to grab it and edge 100 feet of side walk (both sides), 100 feet of curb, and about 600 feet of landscaping/ property edges. Switching between edging and trimming is easy. A battery gets me through 2 weeks sometimes but I often just switch to a new charged battery each time for max power. It is very relatively quiet to a gas one, so no need for ear plugs and it can be done more extended hours without me feeling like I'm disturbing the peace of the neighborhood. The string spools are very easy and each one lasts me about 7 to 8 weeks and cost about $1.50 each on amazon. And no maintenance. I got mine from the Ebay WORX during a 20% off sale so for $80 i could not be happier.