Garage Organization

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
4nursebee

Garage Organization

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:56 pm

My garage and tools are not well organized. I would like to change this and start taking care of things. I am not really sure where to start. In general, I would like to have an organized designated place for everything, return tools each day. When I talk of tools I specifically am thinking of hand tools and long handled garden related tools though there are also subcategories of electrical, plumbing, painting related items and larger power tools to consider.

What do you do in your garage or shop? Would you do those things again?
What would you not do again?

I bought some "pegboard" but the holes are an odd size.
I built a shelf to run along one wall, it is crowded with crap...
I had a garden tool caddy to hang tools on, it is frustrating how often things fall and feels really cheap for regular use.
I've thought to paint the cement floor and get the bulk of the dirt related items somewhere else like an open air shed.
I am likely to get rid of a bunch of crap, perhaps go to a flea market for a day and sell anything we are not to likely use again.
I've thought about one of those fancy tool chests on wheels for everything. It seems like the quality and price range from a few hundred to $1000 for chest high storage and the price increases a lot from there for systems I would not consider.

Thanks for advice and sharing.
4nursebee

Mike Scott

Re: Garage Organization

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm very much in the pile stuff where I use it system. It's not very likely to change anytime soon.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 pm

The garagejournal.com forums will have some nice ideas.

For a homeowner, I highly recommend the Harbor Freight rolling tool boxes. The generally run around $450 for the 44inch (medum size) box, and plenty high quality for anything a homeowner or enthusiast would ever want. Anything more really only makes sense for pro mechanics, but some of cheaper stuff from Home Depot may prove frustrating if you load heavier tools.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:08 pm

4nursebee-

Sounds like you are on the right track. It's a lot of work and a constant battle to create and maintain a well organized garage.

I do my best to keep things off the floor. I try to hang everything on the walls and ceiling. A 100% clear floor is nice.

The thing that had the greatest impact was getting rid of things. Hard to organize billions of things.
Funding secured

roadnottaken

Post by roadnottaken » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 pm

I really like the FastTrack rails from Rubbermaid. I have them all over the walls of my garage now, mostly to hang bikes and kid gear (helmets, scooters, etc) but also for power-tools, ladders, etc. So far I only use the various hooks, but you can use the same rails to hang shelves, wall-slats for tools, etc. Very versatile and easy

Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 pm

There are all kinds of options, from simple low cost hooks and strips to store things like shovels and brooms to more sophisticated systems like Rubbermaid Fast Track.

In my backyard shed, the Rubbermaid Fast Track works great because you can vary the types of hooks to accommodate all kinds of things. Really helps to get things off the ground I also have these in my garage.

In the garage and I installed shelves the length of the garage with double slotted shelf standards. you can then vary the height of each shelf to accommodate different things. This worked well because I have a small garage and I also wanted a place to store my bicycles (I have a bike pole that has slots for two bicycles, again keeps them out of the way).
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm fond of sturdy wire shelving, the Rubbermaid Fasttrack has a solid metal bar you mount horizontally, then you add standards vertically to mount shelf supports. (Hint: install the shelves before you screw the standards to the studs, so you can catch a slot between wires...). Hang the large tools on the wall with specific hooks. Then I store bulky stuff in plastic storage bins on those shelves - one each for paint supplies, electrical, plumbing, garden, odd hand tools etc. I use smaller clear plastic shoe boxes, on a smaller wall shelf, which I label and sort for screwdrivers, drill bits, gloves, etc etc. There are a ton of good ideas at your local HD or Lowes, just go browse. Any system that is easily configurable is good. Dirty yard tools just get tossed into a box I keep near the front...
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:29 pm

For your hand tools something like this could probably work well: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72-in ... /302255875

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:32 pm

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:33 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 pm
The garagejournal.com forums will have some nice ideas.

For a homeowner, I highly recommend the Harbor Freight rolling tool boxes. The generally run around $450 for the 44inch (medum size) box, and plenty high quality for anything a homeowner or enthusiast would ever want. Anything more really only makes sense for pro mechanics, but some of cheaper stuff from Home Depot may prove frustrating if you load heavier tools.
I'll second the rolling part. I went through this with my garage a few years ago and ripped out built in workbenches, fixed shelves etc.

This one I love.

https://www.costco.com/Trinity-72%22-St ... 35688.html

This tool chest is nice but no longer available, but the harbor freight ones look good:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Also love these workbenchs/Tables:

https://smile.amazon.com/TRINITY-TLS-72 ... =hi&sr=1-3

I have two of these, you can cut a piece of plywood and make a bottom shelf that is plenty sturdy to hold heavy tools:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

This rolling storage cabinet is decent too:

https://smile.amazon.com/Seville-Classi ... 228&sr=8-4

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 pm

First question: Do you have anywhere beside the garage to store things?

My number one tip is to put stuff where its used. I keep all automotive tools, the big air compressor, etc in the garage. Carpentry, electrical, and plumbing tools go in the basement shop. Ideally gardening and yard tools in a shed (dont have one yet at my new place).

In my garage I have one of those HF rolling tool chests with all my mechanics hand tools in it. The back wall of the garage has that, the stand up compressor, and a small bench. Heavy things that roll like the floor jack go under the bench. We have floor to ceiling shelving racks along the side of the garage - one is for all automotive stuff (fluids, parts, car wash supplies) another is for the kids toys and garden tools. Hangers on pegboard to hang long items like rakes, shovels, weed trimmer,etc.

In the basement I am building out a dedicated workshop in a utility area. Again pegboard on the walls, and I build a wrap around perimeter bench with a 2x4 frame screwed to the wall and solid core door slabs as the bench top - quite inexpensive. I build a full depth shelf below the bench where all the hand tools go in bins and the power tools in cases go on the floor. Also have some floor to ceiling storage racks for miscellaneous stuff.
Last edited by jharkin on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:13 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by odd sized holes in pegboard. I've nailed pegboard over quite a wide area of my garage walls and use the detachable hooks for pegboard to hang stuff on. I had to have the hardware store cut the pegboard into smaller widths to fit into my car, but that's no problem, I just nail them side by side on the walls.

If you want to get rid of useable stuff put it at the sidewalk with a free sign on it.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:21 pm

I cleaned out a shed and reorganized in the spring. A shed is just another garage.
First thing - start throwing stuff out. Or bring it to Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity. Don't fool yourself about selling all that. Too much time and dicking around. How much can I get? How much to sell it for? It will slow you up.
Throw it out. Give it away. That is the source of your clutter. All that stuff we hold on to on the off chance you might need it. Not something even big, small stuff, stuffed in jars or cans or boxes.
Now my shed is a virtue of organization. Feels good.

On to my garage. Ugh.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:44 pm

Thanks for the topic, OP! Mind if I piggyback a small question on to your thread? We plan to downsize in retirement, so we would be interested in using the garage for some storage space as well as storing standard "garage stuff." Any ides for this as well?

gasdoc

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 pm

NewAge Pro cabinet set that includes lockers.

Wood walls instead of Sheetrock so you can nail anywhere on the wall.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 pm
NewAge Pro cabinet set that includes lockers.

Wood walls instead of Sheetrock so you can nail anywhere on the wall.
The cabinets look great! Did you put wood over the existing sheetrock, or did you have the privilege of starting from scratch?

gasdoc

Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:21 pm
I cleaned out a shed and reorganized in the spring. A shed is just another garage.
First thing - start throwing stuff out. Or bring it to Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity. Don't fool yourself about selling all that. Too much time and dicking around. How much can I get? How much to sell it for? It will slow you up.
Throw it out. Give it away. That is the source of your clutter. All that stuff we hold on to on the off chance you might need it. Not something even big, small stuff, stuffed in jars or cans or boxes.

On to my garage. Ugh.
We have a one day a week flea market, I think $10 to go, I sell cheap, get a few hundred fast, then sell the remainder to another vendor when I tire.
4nursebee

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:22 pm

The first step is to rid the garage of anything you don't use regularly, which for many is 90% of the crap. No need to hold onto stuff "just in case", but that normally never comes. And for the few instances when it does, either you can do without, borrow from a friend, or purchase. In any case, you will be way ahead because of all the useless stuff you did jettison.

ipabrewer

Post by ipabrewer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Garage Journal website has a few threads that will be helpful for this issue, one of them:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/sho ... organizing

Good luck.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 pm

My toolboard is similar to this. Only I drew an outline around every tool.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:21 pm

On to my garage. Ugh.
Right, first priority is to get rid of the stuff that you don’t need, that is broken, that is outdated, etc.

Then you can focus on organizing the stuff that is left.

Forgot political, ethnic, and religious differences — my husband and I have concluded that there are only two kinds of people in this world. Those who use their garages for their intended purpose of storing their cars and those who let them get overrun with other stuff. :D

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:19 pm

gasdoc wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 pm
The cabinets look great! Did you put wood over the existing sheetrock, or did you have the privilege of starting from scratch?
They are expensive, but solid. If you do purchase, get the Pro. They are 24" lower cabinets where the Bold and other lines have 18" deep cabinets. The price per sqft of storage is the same, but the pros are better quality.

Started from scratch and did 1x8's horizontal to look like a cabin. Sheetrock under would have been a plus for the fire rating.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 pm
Adrian Monk would be proud.

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:13 pm

One of the things we’ve done in our last three garages is paint the bottom four foot of the walls gray then gloss white from there up. Dirty stuff that bumps the walls doesn’t leave visible marks and the garage walls always look super clean.

In our current garage, we also bought eighteen foot of commercial shelving on Craigslist from a place that was going out of business. They hold all our stuff. Except the bikes. We made pulley operated ceiling racks for them. Then we put down rubberized flooring under the cars and carpeted the rest. Looks awesome. Cleans easy.

Would do it all again. Especially the gray walls on bottom and white on top.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Bought two horizontal file cabinets and stacked them. Great for larger items, power tools, etc. They were $50 each at a used office furniture outlet.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

Silverado

Post by Silverado » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:20 pm

TexasPE wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:26 pm
Bought two horizontal file cabinets and stacked them. Great for larger items, power tools, etc. They were $50 each at a used office furniture outlet.
Oh man, that's a great find!

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Keep things off the floor where possible. Wall control for pegboard works great. https://www.wallcontrol.com/ It's galvanized and magnets work on it as well. All you want to know is here https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php

BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:33 pm

My grandpa had a peg board and a workbench (cheap at home improvement store - ordered screws and spacers online). I did the same when I got a house 8 years ago. Been happy with that. Gave away the set of tools I had and bought one that came with a tool box (every piece fits in a place) cost me like $150.

Some larger items go under the work bench/in my old tool box. Hand tools all go on the peg board.

Larger hand tools (shovel type) lean-to in a corner. Would like an organizer but probably won’t get around to it for this house. Very happy with ladder hooks. Did horizontal 2 hooks at last house - this house is a double claw hook to hang it vertically

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 pm

I've got a long ways to go, but part of my start is building in heavy duty shelves from 2x4's. Currently a lot of smaller stuff is sorted into cardboard boxes by type, but in the long run, I may transition to plastic storage bins.

I have a work bench of similar construction to the shelves, with pegboard over it for hanging commonly used small tools. A shelf underneath has room for most of my power tools.

If you don't want to build shelves, decent quality metal racks are a very reasonable price at home improvement stores and at Costco. Alternately, you can often find old kitchen cabinets being given away or sold cheap.

For garden tools, I've got an old, cheap rack that isn't very good to hang them from. I haven't decided yet whether to get something fancy like the Rubbermade tracks, or once again make my own.

There is lots to get rid of, as well. This includes finishing projects for which the materials are taking up space, and in some cases tools I won't need anymore once a job is done.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:44 pm

OMG, I must follow this thread! I can't find anything in my shops.

I've been told that proper storage is a skill that can be learned, but I haven't found a place that teaches it.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Nine months ago I sold my house where we had lived for 27 years. Whenever I needed a tool at that house I would look all through the basement and garage often without success. I often took trips to the hardware to buy a tool that I could not find only to find my old one a day later.

When I moved to my new place I purchased a 46 inch Husky Tool chest for approx $400 that sits right outside my back door and against the back wall of my garage. I love this tool chest it is one of the single best purchases I have ever made. Virtually all of my tools fit in it and I no longer search for tools every time I need one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in ... /303101236

The tool chest is very well made and the quality far exceeded my expectations. One very nice feature is the built in power strip on the side of the tool box. I use that far more than I anticipated.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:41 pm
Bogle7 wrote:
Adrian Monk would be proud.
+1

graeme

Post by graeme » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:08 pm

My garage is a shop used for woodworking, repairs of home and vehicle related things, and school projects and experiments. After organizing things several times, things are now in tool chests, rubber maid bins, or plastic jars from pickles or peanut butter. Every container is labelled. Two walls have french cleats on the walls with many frequently used tools on those. The french cleats have worked very well since they can be easily adjusted so what's needed for your current projects is easily seen and used. Two other walls have shelved from floor to ceiling built heavy enough to carry considerable weight. The back shelves are deep enough to hold many large rubber maid bins, the side shelves are for smaller items.

No pegboard, no drawers other than in tool chests. Shovels, rakes, and such are on the wall hung by cheap hose hangers bent a bit to fit the shovels or other tools.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:13 pm

For hanging-up larger tools such as rakes, shovels, brooms and the like, I like the Gladiator wall system, which also includes the ability to hang hooks, baskets and bins. For smaller tools, I use a standard roll-away tool box which is located adjacent to a home-made, extra heavy duty, work bench.

https://www.gladiatorgarageworks.com/
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:14 pm

These can be purchased for around $400 if you're patient and have a coupon. Very high quality.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-stor ... 64133.html

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:25 pm

+1 on the Rubbermaid Fast Track System. I have the system in my garage and shed. There are shelves, baskets, hooks, bins for balls, etc that hang off the rails. Sturdy, customizable for your space/needs and durable.

For the garage, I also added a Hyloft that hangs from the ceiling joists at the front of 1 garage to hold foldable chairs, boogie boards, sleds, etc.

Target has stainless steel shelf units on casters that hold about 200 lbs per shelf which I use for garden and other supplies.

Hard Lesson

Post by Hard Lesson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:40 pm

CheCha54 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:30 pm
Keep things off the floor where possible. Wall control for pegboard works great. https://www.wallcontrol.com/ It's galvanized and magnets work on it as well. All you want to know is here https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php
+1 for Wall Control. Totally transformed my garage workspace.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Take everything out. All at once. Leave on your driveway. Decide on categories: big garden items, hand tools, paint, supplies like trash bags and cleaning supplies, car stuff, lawn decorations, bikes, snow blower, lawn mower etc. Discard what you don’t want. Put in box to sell or trash. Do not co-mingle with want to keep items. Then decide where everything will go. Bikes here, garden stuff here, tools over there etc. Then decide how to store it. Rubbermaid storage containers, hanging hooks, husky tool box or cabinet etc. Purchase said items and then put away. Remember to put them back there after use.

We have a hook to hang the large garden items.
A basket for the hand tools- we don’t have too much.
We have a rack for bikes.
We gave away snow blower. Lawn mower is on floor. Snow tires are stacked on floor.
Halloween decorations get a bin
Christmas has two bins
Kids stuff (water guns, sidewalk chalk, helmets) has a bin
Car cleaning has a bin
Lawn bags has a bin.
Extension cords have a a bin.

We have cabinets with shelves in our closet and the clear bins all go inside. The flow wall storage system holds the large garden tools and bikes.

You probably need more than one shelf and don’t simply lay items on the shelf. Put like items in plastic containers on shelf. When you need something you pull the container out as opposed to shuffling random loose items which end up on floor, pushed towards the back or damaged.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 am

Try this first as I did:

Remove EVERYTHING from the garage to the driveway. THEN, move back only what you actually used within the past year.

Donate, sell, or dispose of everything else...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:01 am

I organize my garage and yard stuff into 4 groups, yard stuff, house tool stuff, bigger misc stuff, and things like screws and nails. The yard stuff is stored outside. All the other garage stuff is stored inside on the three walls in cabinets and on shelves. I keep my bikes out side. When everything is put away I also park two cars in my garage. And since everything is organized we can find a tool or garage item fast... :happy :happy

I put the yard related tall lawn tools and fertilizer and sprinklers stuff in a shed outside on the side of the house. I bought my garden tool shed from Sears. That shed is about 2.5 x 5 x 6 feet and has a set of cheap steel shelves inside to organize the small stuff. The long handle tools set in the corner. My wheel barrel and lawn mower set outside next to that shed. The shed and tools set on a platform of concrete fence blocks to keep them dry.

I bought an old worn out bedroom dresser for $25. I set it on a garage side wall and use it to store all the random garage stuff like nails and screws and picture hangers and electrical sockets and plumbing pieces and other "garage stuff". I use one drawer for each category of stuff, one for screws, one for nails, one for plumbing stuff, etc.. See below for a example of the dresser. This one is priced at $100 but probably can be bought for $25. This is cheaper and better than a fancy tool cabinet from Sears. I use the top of the dresser to stack bankers boxes full of camping stuff. I use a big garbage can to hold summer umbrellas and folding chairs.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/fuo/ ... 97095.html

I installed a set of garage cabinets in my house when we moved in. They are large and cover all of the back wall. Each bin is 30 inches wide by 24 inches deep and eight feet tall with two shelves and four doors. There are four bins. My wife keeps house hold cleaning stuff in one bin. I have most of one bin for a tool bag loaded with small household tool and a drill and saws and some glue and tape and googles and gloves. I keep painting stuff in part of one bin. And we have various old kid stuff and blankets and drop cloths and ??? stuff in the other bins.

Then I installed a big set of 2 x 4 shelves on the other side wall next to the water heater to hold big tools. Those shelves are 4 feet long by 2 feet deep x 8 feet tall with two shelves. I keep big tools and cooler chests and suitcases and a wet vacuum and a set of folding work benches and some misc stuff on those shelves.

So with all the stuff stored on shelves and in cabinets I have room for my two cars. It is a tight fit but it works well.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:12 am

4nursebee wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:56 pm
My garage and tools are not well organized. I would like to change this and start taking care of things. I am not really sure where to start. In general, I would like to have an organized designated place for everything, return tools each day. When I talk of tools I specifically am thinking of hand tools and long handled garden related tools though there are also subcategories of electrical, plumbing, painting related items and larger power tools to consider.

What do you do in your garage or shop? Would you do those things again?
What would you not do again?

I bought some "pegboard" but the holes are an odd size.
I built a shelf to run along one wall, it is crowded with crap...
I had a garden tool caddy to hang tools on, it is frustrating how often things fall and feels really cheap for regular use.
I've thought to paint the cement floor and get the bulk of the dirt related items somewhere else like an open air shed.
I am likely to get rid of a bunch of crap, perhaps go to a flea market for a day and sell anything we are not to likely use again.
I've thought about one of those fancy tool chests on wheels for everything. It seems like the quality and price range from a few hundred to $1000 for chest high storage and the price increases a lot from there for systems I would not consider.

Thanks for advice and sharing.
For me, pegboard isn't all that useful. I have one sheet of it above a workbench for tools that I frequently use but for storage density, it isn't very useful. I have a rolling toolbox that holds all my hand tools and can roll around. I have salvaged kitchen cabinet lowers and uppers along one wall. The lowers are good for holding bulky power tools and the uppers I categorize into storage for electrical, plumbing, drywall, tiling, etc. For all those long handled tools, hoses, etc, I buy special holders that you can install high up on the wall out of the way. Large bulky items that don't get used a lot like extensions ladders, in my case bicycles, get attached to the ceiling with hoist kits you can easily buy. It takes about a minute to move a vehicle out of the way and lower them down to where they can be obtained. Only for those seasonal or rarely used things do I build shelving up nearer to the ceiling because it is only accessible by step ladder. In a past house, I built a large platform in the space between the open garage door and the ceiling to store stuff like this as well.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:08 pm

I installed a 1x4 horizontally on the wall. This provides a good surface for putting in nails, screws, or hooks. I also bought a box of miscellaneous hooks from Home Depot, a steel shelf that goes in the corner for small items, and a couple of large plastic bins for sports equipment.

Once you have these supplies, move everything onto the driveway. This is a good time to either use a leaf blower or garden hose for cleaning the garage. As you put things back in the garage, hang everything possible from the ceiling or the walls.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:49 pm

All the organization things are great ---- once you get into the habit of using them.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:33 pm

CheCha54 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:30 pm
Those look awesome. I know what my next project is going to be, lol.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:40 pm

graeme wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:08 pm
Two walls have french cleats on the walls with many frequently used tools on those. The french cleats have worked very well since they can be easily adjusted so what's needed for your current projects is easily seen and used. Two other walls have shelved from floor to ceiling built heavy enough to carry considerable weight.
I like the french cleat idea. I might adopt this in a couple spots on my walls.

Northster

Post by Northster » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:42 pm

I wrestled with the matter of hanging garden tools and finally found I could build something that suited me better than what is on the market. Basically a horizontal strip of wood with wooden pegs. I have found I could better customize shelves by buying brackets and making my own. I do use a peg board, though I am not a big fan. Even there I made a couple of custom pieces.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:44 pm

One tool chest
I 'hang" everything else.
I try to avoid bending over as much as possible for something,
Other than my socks and shoes
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:42 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
I recently saw the tip about drawing the outlines - that way when you've taken down multiple items or loaned tools you can see what's gone.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:39 pm

For hanging garden tools, I use two pegboard hooks spaced far enough apart so that the shovel handle, pitchfork tines, working end of hoe, etc. hangs on them.

Rienzi

Post by Rienzi » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 pm

For shelves I used Knape & Vogt Fast Mount. A little pricy, but durable. Looks nice too.
https://www.knapeandvogt.com/store/fast-mount

+1 for Wall Control. Very satisfied.