Apple Watch Worth The $$$?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RJC

Apple Watch Worth The $$$?

Post by RJC » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Dear Friends,

Is the new Apple Watch (series 4) worth the money? They are currently on sale on Amazon ($50 off).

Things I am looking for:
-casual watch
-heart rate monitor is a plus as I enjoy exercising (e.g. road biking)
-would like to use my phone less

Hesitant to buy:
-price (on the high side)
-another gadget that could break
-charging another device
-endless cycle of upgrading when a new version comes out

Would like to hear from current owners. Thanks in advance!

ohai

Re: Apple Watch Worth The $$$?

Post by ohai » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:32 pm

For me, no, since the main use I have for smart watches has been exercise/health monitoring and there are many cheaper options compared to Apple Watch. However, if you like some of the other functions specific to Apple, then maybe the $200 or so is worth it to you.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Get a refurbished one on Amazon. They're pretty cheap.

Having said that I really don't see much use for me personally. Too many gadgets to manage/sync and update. Unless it completely replaces the utility of a phone I don't want to deal with yet another software platform.

monet60122

Post by monet60122 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm

I can tell you about my experiences with my 1st gen Apple watch (sport 38mm). It's been 3+ years, I believe, since I got it from a friend who didn't like the size. She sold it to me at a discount, after buying it with an open box discount, which is the only reason I got one. I have used it almost daily since then. Would I spend the money to replace it when it dies? Probably, if I can get a really good deal. There are several neat features that I enjoy on even my old version.
What I love/use on a regular basis:

Timer and stopwatch - love not having to use my phone to set a timer.
Keeping track of what/when is my next meeting
Seeing notifications without having to pick up my phone/get it out of bag
Finding my phone when I don't remember where I left it
Access Tile app for locating keys (sigh, see above)
Using Apple Maps for driving direction-the watch taps my wrist when it's time to turn. I can look quickly and see it's a right turn, and then know when I feel the taps make the next right.
Basic exercise tracking
Updates are rare (may be because device is older)
Battery still lasts almost 24 hours - Charge every night next to my phone.
Turn on side and it's a portable alarm clock for traveling (tap and it'll display time for a little bit and turn off)
Can control music with phone docked/charging
Can play music through bluetooth earbuds by loading playlists on phone, without cellular connection
Customizable face
Apple Wallet access using watch - Pay for things, access boarding passes without having another thing in your hands

It's been amazingly resilient to my abuses. Only real damage is a scratch on the face from a diamond plate covered wall. I have used it for running, gym workouts, and general daily work. I did replace the rubber strap (sweats horribly in Florida) with a metal band from Target. For serious heart rate monitoring, you probably want to look at more specialized watches/chest straps like Garmin. I am never going to be competitive so accurate heart rates aren't a concern for me. Does it replace a phone, not yet. Still a ways to go. I ultimately use my phone less because of it.

Point

Post by Point » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Mine works like a charm. Bike rides recorded, HR tracked, maps of route produced with coloring for speed. Tracked steps, swims, elliptical workouts etc. Handles abuse, chainsaw and tree work, showering...

Let’s me compete with other users to encourage me to stay on the workout path.

Phone function very handy. Always available even when I forget my iPhone. Dual ring.

Waited to buy for a couple of years. Glad I did.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:12 pm

I plan on buying one. Currently losing weight and am starting exercise. When I lose 1/2 of what I want I’ll go and buy one of the aluminum ones. I want activity tracker and heart monitoring functions.

There may or may not be a new model out in the fall. Buyer beware.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:15 pm

I have an Apple Watch series 3 and it has exceeded my expectations.

I use it for frequently for Apple Pay, logging in to my computer automatically without a password, fitness tracking, checking texts/call notifications and telling time(!).

I use it infrequently for my heart rate, making/answering calls, responding to texts, listening to music, and finding my phone.

I don't feel any compelling need to upgrade to the series 4. The series 3 has GPS, wifi & cellular connectivity, is waterproof. The prices on series 3 have been pretty good recently.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:18 pm

My Citizen watch that cost $70 in 2005 still looks sharp and keeps good time.

If I was buying a $300 smart watch every three years, over 15 years that would amount to $1,500.

Whether the added functionality is worth $100/yr to you is your decision to make.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Yes, not even close.

Top features:
1) Can play music/podcasts in workouts without a phone. Also allows you to control music on another Apple device
2) Apple Pay- tap side button twice and you are ready to pay.
3) Can use to unlock/start car
4) Health and workout tracking. I use Strava for biking and I can see avg speed, current speed, distance and time without a more expensive bike computer.
5) Control smart home (turn all my lights on or off)

I have the Series 3 (no cell) and it has 2 days of battery life, and is more durable than I expected.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:12 pm
I plan on buying one. Currently losing weight and am starting exercise. When I lose 1/2 of what I want I’ll go and buy one of the aluminum ones. I want activity tracker and heart monitoring functions.

There may or may not be a new model out in the fall. Buyer beware.
As an FYI, the normal cycle is a major refresh followed by a modest improvement in next year's model. Series 4 was a big improvement, so Series 5 might be an incremental improvement.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:45 pm

I’m wearing the series 3, had the 1 previously. Look out for deals especially on previous generations. The Series 3 was as low as $169 for Prime Day.

I do think it’s useful - the heart rate monitor and activity tracker work well. In a pinch I can take/make a call using the watch (the phone either needs to be within Bluetooth range or connected to the same WiFi network - so if the phone is on the other side of the house I can still make a call). Apple Pay with the watch is even easier than with the phone. Not a super heavy user, I can probably get a way with charging every other day but it’s just as easy to charge overnight (the magnetic charger is as easy as it gets).

I think it’s one of those “nice to have” things, definitely not a must, so if you can get a good deal it’s worth it. But more like $200 not $400.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:55 pm

As it happens, I was looking for something to monitor my heart rate during my daily walks, and settled on the Fitbit Charge 3. It’s cheaper than the Apple product, and basically does what I want without a lot of frills. It makes a pretty decent watch, too. I’ve seen others mention Fitbits here with varying levels of satisfaction, but I’m pretty happy with mine, at least so far. Only thing I might have liked to see included that wasn’t was the ability to do NFC payments (similar to Apple Pay), but the version I bought didn’t feature NFC circuitry.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:05 pm

I have a Series 0 (the first one) and love it.
Sometimes I feel like I'm waltzing in a 4/4 world.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:11 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:55 pm
As it happens, I was looking for something to monitor my heart rate during my daily walks, and settled on the Fitbit Charge 3. It’s cheaper than the Apple product, and basically does what I want without a lot of frills. It makes a pretty decent watch, too. I’ve seen others mention Fitbits here with varying levels of satisfaction, but I’m pretty happy with mine, at least so far. Only thing I might have liked to see included that wasn’t was the ability to do NFC payments (similar to Apple Pay), but the version I bought didn’t feature NFC circuitry.
To add to this for the OPs situation, the Fitbit smartwatches (not fitness trackers) can have NFC and also have app support, including Strava. That is probably the budget play if the other Apple integrations aren't an issue. The Garmin watches are the higher end fitness focused play.

Personally, I had a fitbit fitness tracker way back in the day and it was fine, but maybe someone else can opine on app quality of the smartwatch app store.

bligh

Post by bligh » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 pm

RJC wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:28 pm
Dear Friends,

Is the new Apple Watch (series 4) worth the money? They are currently on sale on Amazon ($50 off).

Things I am looking for:
-casual watch

Hesitant to buy:
-charging another device

Your cons are spot on with my own cons for why I put off buying the Apple Watch.

However, now that I have it, it was a superb decision for me and my wife. The activity tracker alone is worth the price. My wife and I "compete" with each other on activity and it pushes us both to be far more active throughout the day than we would have been without it. We also use it as our heart rate monitor during workouts (I have a polar HRM chest strap paired with my watch for more accurate readouts).

All the other benefits associated with heart rate monitoring throughout the day, notifications on the watch, the ability to find my iPhone via a ping on the watch, etc. etc. are just gravy.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:18 pm

It’s a toy. My husband loves his.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:34 pm

No. You have to charge it from time to time.

I exercise twice a day, sometimes three. I use the 5x5 stonglifts app for weightlifting and a Timex ironman 50-lap for running/swimming.

I try to minimize my number of devices that need upgrading/charging.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Thank you all for your comments and perspectives. This has been helpful.

sambb

Post by sambb » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:56 pm

well worth it, but apple watch 5 coming out next month. Generally most apple things are amazing and game changers.

EdNorton

Post by EdNorton » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 pm

I have a Garmin Vivofit 3 (I think), keeps track of steps and sleep and a few others that I don't track. THE BEST thing about this watch is it runs over a year on a battery. NO, I repeat NO recharging every night.

Also, less than $50.
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:20 pm

sambb wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:56 pm
well worth it, but apple watch 5 coming out next month. Generally most apple things are amazing and game changers.
Never buy the current Apple product at launch. Pretend like it launches a little later.

Wait till the previous generation goes on a good sale, buy that. For example, you can get a series 3 well under $200 right now and these deals have been frequent for months. In 1 year, the series 4 will be on sale for great prices. Sell your series 3 for a slight loss and buy the discounted series 4.

My general cost to own an Apple Watch is $100 per year.

This can be replicated for iPhones, iPads, and MacBook Pros on modified time schedules. The alternative in the PC/Android world is to buy something either cheap or expensive and lose most/all of the value in 12 months.

jj45

Post by jj45 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:17 pm

In my experience, definitely worth it. I wanted a fitness tracker with a heart rate monitor but, despite being firmly embedded in the Apple ecosystem, I balked at paying the price for an Apple watch. Bought a cheap Fitbit instead. The interface was terrible, battery life degraded quickly, and it completely died after a year. Then I bought a cheap Garmin. Same complaints and it died after a nine months. Garmin sent me another one for free, good on them, but it died too soon as well and never worked as smoothly as I wanted. Meanwhile, friends have 4 year old Apple Watches still going strong. I bought one last spring and love it. The ease of use is so much better and it does so much more. For me it's well worth the price, it costs more but I get more. If you want to spend less and get less, a cheaper device is the way to go.

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 pm

RJC wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:28 pm
Dear Friends,

Things I am looking for:
-casual watch

Hesitant to buy:
-charging another device

Apple watch plus Strava is amazing. Highly recommended.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:25 am

I love my Apple Watch 3 for recording my bike rides and my walking. I also love the AirPods. I’ve bicycled at least a thousand miles listening to audiobooks with my iPhone + AirPods: they never fell out. I understand there’s a watch audible app now too but I bike with my phone and find that more convenient to control the audio.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 am

Everyone pretty much mentioned all the tings I like about the watc from exercise monitoring, heart monitoring music control .... but the one feature that I unexpectedly found I like the most is text and message received when my phone is not readily available.

I can see whom instanstly and can decide to answer it if I deem it important. Since when I am driving it is on my wrist and I can see it as I hold the steering wheel no urge to reach for the phone.

One thing I did not like are the bands - so I purchase cloth Velcro one from Amazon.

PS: I was a Apple Watch Series 0 owner and upgraded to the Apple Watch Series 4 about 3 month ago and love that I can go swimming with it.

dlw322

Post by dlw322 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:16 am

I have a second generation without cell service. I don't always wear it but I love it for certain things.

-I always wear it when I'm expecting a call that I don't want to miss
-You can see texts and calls without reaching/looking for your phone
-Apple pay is very simple and fast
-Real simple to ping your phone so you can find it fast
-Love it for running for the following reasons.
*It can track my runs.
*Taps me on the wrist at each mile.
*I can play music through bluetooth headphones without carrying my phone
*I have the version without cell service. In the past when I was out running with my phone in an armband I used to get phone calls. Now I'm never
bothered by calls while out for a run

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:21 am

The price isn't out of line with other high end fitness watches. Any 'tech' gadget will eventually be obsolete.

Reasons to buy Apple watch
- You want to look like everyone else
- You already have an iphone

Reasons not to buy Apple watch
- You'll look like everyone else
- You prefer Android

Personally I'd look at Garmin/Suunto. I like my Macbook Pro but I don't care for apple phones.

RetiredInTheWest

Post by RetiredInTheWest » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:38 am

I had most of the same concerns. Bought a Series 4 with the intention of very likely returning it. Wondered how the first few days would be ...

I love it. I do not want to do without it! Bought one for my wife (who had the same hesitation I did), and she's the same about hers now.

Just be aware that if you do try one for a few days, you may very well decide to keep it.

Point

Post by Point » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:51 am

Another reason I like the watch is traffic: hey Siri, how long will it take me to get home? To xyz...

The level of integration and ease of access is hard to appreciate till you have it for a couple of weeks.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:19 am

I love my Series 4 Apple Watch. (I have the non-cellular version.) It's greatest value to me is the ability to leave my phone behind when I run and still get GPS tracking, HR tracking, music, audiobooks, and podcasts. The latter three, of course, require AirPods or another set of wireless Bluetooth headphones. The on-wrist HR tracking is quite good, but you can also pair a Bluetooth HR strap to the Watch if you prefer. (I have a Polar HR strap, but I hardly ever wear it.)

The battery life is quite good on the Series 4, better than 24 hours, even with more than an hour of GPS+music every day. I sleep in mine so that I can see changes in my resting HR overnight. I charge it for 15-30 minutes every day when I'm sitting at my desk at work or lounging at home, and otherwise wear it 24/7. (I bought an extra charger.)

Extra Apple Watch bands are over-priced, but there is now an entire ecosystem of quality third-party bands to accessorize your Watch and match your wardrobe if that matters to you. (Swapping out bands is a breeze and only takes a few seconds.)

There are also an increasing number of useful on-Watch apps, both fitness and non-fitness. But for me, it's mostly about the fitness apps and audio apps. :beer

NBKCF

Post by NBKCF » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:01 am

OP,

Heed the advice of others. If you buy it with the intention of returning it you will keep it. I was hesitant to buy one and now I will likely not go without it.

I enjoy being able to see notifications as they come through and only responding to the urgent ones. Series 4 has “raise to talk” so while prepping meals I can raise my wrist and tell a timer to start. Or set a reminder. It was amazing for an alarm during our child’s nursing times in the night. It vibrates your wrist rather than blaring an alarm potentially waking up the house.

Needless to say, I love it. I use it daily for workouts and end the day with 50% or more battery remaining. It charges very quickly as well.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:16 am

Tried it once and I felt like a prisoner to Apple. Hard to describe but i just didn’t lie it. It’s another thing to charge and to worry about. And in 4 years you want a new one because Apple doesn’t support it anymore. Idk.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:23 am

I have a 3 and love it. I did get the cellular model, and while working have no problem paying the $15 monthly TMobile fee. I am not sure if I would continue cellular if I was looking at ways to cut costs. 98% of the time, I have either Bluetooth or Wifi connectivity, so cellular doesn't come into play. The 3 has plenty of health features, but I know the 4 is an upgrade. I might gift the 3 to my daughter at some point and upgrade to the next generation.

I wear at night, then put on the charging stand for an hour when I get up in the morning. That usually charges it to 90% or so. I'll put on and do some morning exersize or gardening, then back on the charger while I shower and get dressed. At that point, it's usually 100%. Most days after 24 hrs I'm still at 25-40% when I get up in the AM. The daily charging requirement was one of the reasons I put off the purchase as long as I did, but it hasn't been an issue. I do have an extra charger in my car, that gets very occasional use, and is the one I take on vacations.

Most of the pros have been mentioned by others. I listen to music, XM radio, and audio books a lot, and really like the stop, start, rewind, volume controls on the watch. Map and directions integration whole in the car is great. Love using it to find my iPhone. I see a lot more texts when they're sent than I would if I was just using the iPhone. I pay attention to the activity apps. There's a lot of features that I probably don't even know. I have taken some classes at the Apple Store, and they've been a help.

balesfam

Post by balesfam » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:58 am

I have series 4, I used the ekg function during a episode of a racing heart and sent a pdf of the results to my doctor and found out I had afib. I am on a beta blocker and feel much better, it may have saved my life.

framus

Post by framus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:38 pm

I've got the series 4 and am happy with it. Use it for workout tracking. Heart Rate function works good enough that I no longer need/use my dedicated HRM when riding bikes. The timer function is useful. I'm happy using Siri with the watch for recording reminders and my grocery list. Apple IOS updates means it will be useful for sometime to come before it is obsolete. For me it was worth the $$$

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:09 am

For me, the one feature that convinced me to buy my Apple watch was its ability to make phone calls.

My husband passed away last year so I'm now alone in my house. Shortly after he passed away, I was carrying a heavy, unwieldy chair up from the basement and I realized how stupid that was. It would have been easy for me to fall down the stairs with no way to call for help if I broke my leg. I ordered an Apple watch that same day. I don't carry my iPhone from room to room at home, but I always wear my Apple watch.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 am

NBKCF wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:01 am
OP,

Heed the advice of others. If you buy it with the intention of returning it you will keep it. I was hesitant to buy one and now I will likely not go without it.

I enjoy being able to see notifications as they come through and only responding to the urgent ones. Series 4 has “raise to talk” so while prepping meals I can raise my wrist and tell a timer to start. Or set a reminder. It was amazing for an alarm during our child’s nursing times in the night. It vibrates your wrist rather than blaring an alarm potentially waking up the house.

Needless to say, I love it. I use it daily for workouts and end the day with 50% or more battery remaining. It charges very quickly as well.
My wife actually won one in a raffle at her employee Christmas party last year. Played around with it for about a week before she put it up for sale on KSL.

afoolwithmoney

Post by afoolwithmoney » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:41 am

Yes, I have an Apple Watch 4 and I love it. Don't get any earlier version than the 4 - they really reduced the thickness and more importantly they decreased the bezel size and improved the curvature. Before the 4, you could visibly see the screen embedded in the black square of the watch face. Now, it blends seamlessly in - they found some cool way to bend the edges of the OLED so it looks so much better.

Also the new health features are really cool. Yes it has exercise tracking etc but it also detects heart arrhythmia and even has an ECG (if you're in the USA).

They typically release new models in the fall, I'm not sure if they will this year, but right now there are a lot of discounts on the 4, could be a good time to buy.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:38 pm

stickman731 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 am
Everyone pretty much mentioned all the tings I like about the watc from exercise monitoring, heart monitoring music control .... but the one feature that I unexpectedly found I like the most is text and message received when my phone is not readily available.

I can see whom instanstly and can decide to answer it if I deem it important. Since when I am driving it is on my wrist and I can see it as I hold the steering wheel no urge to reach for the phone.
This. My wife has a Series 1 and will buy a Series 5 when those come out. The primary value for her has been the ability to recognize that she has a incoming text or telcall while her phone is in her purse where she sometimes doesn't hear it. The fitness tracking features have been a welcome but entirely secondary bonus, since specialized fitness trackers could provide the same or even superior functionality at a lower cost. It's not at all necessary to upgrade to each new generation as it is released, so the cost of ownership over the device's useful lifetime is not all that high.

jdb

Post by jdb » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Two months ago I would have said yes. I had the series one from first day available and the series 3. Wore every day and enjoyed. But then watch stopped working right so took it off and planned to make appt at Apple store for repairs, two weeks went by and never got around to making appointment. And guess what? Not only did I not miss the watch, it felt kind of liberating not having to wear one. I had worn a watch for my entire adult life. Now I have cut the cord. I still have my iPhone which have with me all times and I have a better sense of the flow of time without the watch. I still keep the watch on charger if need to find iPhone. So my advice is that if you need or want a watch, yes. But there is a small subgroup of us who get along fine without wearing any watch. Good luck.

bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:09 pm

With my limited knowledge of what an Apple Watch does, I would say no. Don't need another gadget.

Someone, however, did tell me a story that an Apple Watch caught an irregular heart rhythm which prompted the wearer to check into the hospital for a heart attack. So in this case, the Apple Watch turned out to be a life saving apparatus.

Topic Author
RJC

Post by RJC » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:38 am

Thank you all for your insight. I may wait till Sept to make a decision since the series 5 is expected to come out. If only minor updates, I can take advantage of the reduced series 4 prices then.