French patio door recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mookie

French patio door recommendations

Post by mookie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 am

I am replacing an Andersen French patio door with sliding screen doors, because the wood is cracked and the door expands in humid air. I see three ways to do it:
1. contractor and door from Lowe's or Home Depot (preliminary estimate was $600 for install and ~$1500 for the doors not including the sliding screen)
2. contractor who buys and installs the door from their own supplier
3. local door/window store with their own installer. These stores seem to be brand-specific (Marvin, Pella).

Any recommendations on which option is best, and which brand to buy, or even a specific door model? I'm steering clear of Renewal by Andersen based on their sales tactics. I live in Pennsylvania. Thanks!

lthenderson

Re: French patio door recommendations

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:35 pm

I would start with option 3 and go backwards up the list to 1 in order of preference. I always feel that someone with a reputation to uphold, i.e. the window/door store will do a better job than some random contractor subcontracted out by a big box store when it comes to installation.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 pm

My wood clad Andersen door/screens have held up well. Still operate smoothly.

I have 3 sets of wood clad Jeld Wen doors/screens - love the doors but their screen system is not ideal as there is a ridge mid-door that causes the screens to hang up or jump track. I hear they changed the design due to customer complaints. The Jeld Wen rep will be out to check the doors and it is annoying enough that I may replace the fixed door in each set.

ETA - last year my parents replaced a patio door with an Andersen door from Home Depot installed by their contractor. A similar door/install quoted by Andersen Renewal was 40% higher.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:10 pm

used a local independent contractor and installed 3 Andersen doors 20 years ago and they still look like great.