Dash Cams [want recommendations]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
marko

Dash Cams [want recommendations]

Post by marko »

Our Lawyer recommended getting a Dash Cam ….. Looking for suggestions on brands etc.
Thank You in Advance
whodidntante

Re: Dash Cams [want recommendations]

Post by whodidntante »

I use an aukey dr01. The most important features are the capacitor instead of a battery (battery fails due to summer interior heat) and passable low light performance. Resolution is not a critical feature.

Spring for a high endurance flash card that is over provisioned.

Watch the video periodically to make sure the camera and flash card still work.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

I have just replaced my Rexin with A119. I hated the Rexin. A119 seems way better.
I also found this guide here very helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/wiki/i ... sh_cams.3A
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

Can you explain the circumstances that you have inquired with a lawyer about a dash cam and they recommended purchasing one?

Usually, the fault of a car accident isn't difficult to ascertain without one.
Topic Author
marko

Post by marko »

We're neighbors and he suggested in casual conversation that he has one , and they may be useful as evidence.
Topic Author
marko

Post by marko »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:29 pm I use an aukey dr01. The most important features are the capacitor instead of a battery (battery fails due to summer interior heat) and passable low light performance. Resolution is not a critical feature.

Spring for a high endurance flash card that is over provisioned.

Watch the video periodically to make sure the camera and flash card still work.
Thanks
Topic Author
marko

Post by marko »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:34 pm I have just replaced my Rexin with A119. I hated the Rexin. A119 seems way better.
I also found this guide here very helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/wiki/i ... sh_cams.3A
Thanks
graeme

Post by graeme »

Dashcamtalk forums have good comparisons and recommendations. Popular choices are Viofo and Street Guardian.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

This is a decent dual dashcam on sale today for $100: https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Wide-Angle ... way&sr=8-4

Wiring is actually surprisingly easy. You just tuck it under the trim, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHGzEgxIwqo&t=73s
It can be done without any tools, but a nylon pry bar makes it much easier (< $8): https://www.amazon.com/Konpard-Removal- ... 7MQ5RZMX//

If your 12v outlet turns off when the key turns off, then you just need to route the wire over to the 12v outlet. Get one of these ~$9 outlet expanders w/ USB outlets, and you don't even lose your outlet:
https://smile.amazon.com/BESTEK-2-Socke ... B071HSZ14M

Also, add on an "endurance" microsd. Recommend at least 64GB for single cam, 128GB for dual cam. Here's a 128GB for ~$25:
https://smile.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endura ... way&sr=8-3

I liked my aukey dr02 (non-dual) dashcam so much, that I bought a aukey dr03 dual dashcam. The only reason I didn't buy a dual dashcam before was fear about installing it, but then I learned that hiding the wiring under the trim is really easy. On youtube, there're probably even videos demonstrating it on your specific car model.

Reiterating whodidntante, get one with a capacitor rather than a battery. Important for longevity, and critical if you live where it's hot
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Make sure the State you travel in allows blockage of a portion size of the front window.
I know Alabama has a law against blockage of the window.
There are some go arounds for Alabama, on dash install, perhaps mirror attachment, perhaps.
Some states will vary of course, best to check.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

marko wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:16 pm Our Lawyer recommended getting a Dash Cam ….. Looking for suggestions on brands etc.
Thank You in Advance
Do realize that dash cams work both ways. They also record your driving and your behavior. And do realize that once the record is created, you are stuck with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM4JuH9EV8k
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

jlawrence01 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 pm
marko wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:16 pm Our Lawyer recommended getting a Dash Cam ….. Looking for suggestions on brands etc.
Thank You in Advance
Do realize that dash cams work both ways. They also record your driving and your behavior. And do realize that once the record is created, you are stuck with it.

Maybe the OP prefers the legal advice of their attorney, but prefers the dash cam advice of the bogleheads.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I don't want one on my car.
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

> Do realize that dash cams work both ways. They also record your driving and your behavior.

There's a hack for this =) You drive responsibly/normally showing that although there was an accident, there was no foreseeable negligence by you (texting etc)

More reviews https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/commen ... _dash_cam/
Last edited by boglerdude on Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Your old phone + phone holder
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I am in CA and the restrictions on windshield mounting made it impossible for me to mount a dashcam in a location acceptable to me. Instead I chose to mount one on the left dash and one on the rear window using GRIPEZ pads. These are extremely sticky on both sides and can be re-used. Ten for ten bucks. Suction cups don’t work well on my dash but these pads do.

The front cam is a refurbished Cobra CDR840 and contains GPS. The Cobra viewer shows your position on a map as well as the video if you playback on a PC.

The rear cam is a refurbished Cobra CDR820 and lacks GPS but has a small footprint.

Each camera cost $30 and they have been in use on my vehicle for about 3 yrs with no battery problems.

I also tried out a Yi with some nice features and a 160 degree FOV. The wide FOV is a tradeoff for I guess what you’d say is depth-of-field. I liked the Cobra display better for my main dashcams so I mounted the Yi behind the driver’s headrest. The wide FOV allows fairly good coverage out both rear side windows. Overkill perhaps but the alternative would be to put that device in my junk box so why not?
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

jlawrence01 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 pm
Thank You in Advance

Well, true, but this isn't a strike against. It may make you yourself pay more attention and drive better (at least for a while until you forget it's there). Also, you don't necessarily have to reveal you have it. I have read where people specifically do not buy a GPS module for their devices because that will keep a record in the video that will allow computing of the speed of the driver. If somebody did something stupid which you capture on video, you wouldn't want the argument made that you were going 40 in 35 zone, so it's your fault, not theirs.

Not more than a week ago, I took a left turn on a green arrow, and a kid riding a bike at about 20 mph didn't even think of stopping for the red light. He came right at my car like an arrow as I was making the turn, never braked (might not have had brakes), and ended up slamming his hands on my trunk in anger as I slowed to stop. At least my forward cam would have shown the green arrow, possibly him failing to stop (or pause) for the light. This was a weird intersection where the left turn had me driving toward the corner in a forward way, so I was pointing right at him versus broadside to him. Anybody can sue you for anything, make up a story, and the cam is there for your own protection.

I went cheap on mine, not knowing what to order. Works fine.
Camera
Filter Lens
Memory

I do not record the sound inside the vehicle.
tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate »

miamivice wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:34 pm Can you explain the circumstances that you have inquired with a lawyer about a dash cam and they recommended purchasing one?

Usually, the fault of a car accident isn't difficult to ascertain without one.
Said the guy who's never been in an accident and had the other party lie about it.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

spitty

Post by spitty »

Just installed a Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO dual (SGR291 rear) in May and am very happy with it. SG is very active on DashCamTalk and will send you a discount code to order direct through them. Rear cam is 1080p which I thought important having 35% tint. No wifi connectivity with this model if that's a concern. This is my first dashcam and did the install myself (2018 Accord). First time I'd ever used fuse taps and even employed a multimeter to check polarity; hardest part was getting under the dash to do this part since I'm no longer young and limber. Running wires was the easy part though I was fretting it! There's a "parking mode" to record any car contacts while you're away; you can set various time periods and a car battery cut off voltage. Lots of choices out there, some very expensive; total to my door was $289 including $30 for a hardwire kit that included fuses and taps.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

I had an Owl Cam for a few months but did not like the mounting style which was very bulky. I also did not think the resolution was very good even though it was 1440. I then tried the Nextbase 612GW which was 4k but it kept dying in the heat.

Just last week I switched to Blackvue DR9200 and love it so far. It is a 4k camera on the front and a 1080 camera on the back. It's small and was easy to install. It plugs into my ODB port so it still gets power while parked and doesn't have an ugly wire going to my cigarette lighter.

https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/
NCPE

Post by NCPE »

I installed low end Transcend Drive-Pro models in all our vehicles a couple of years ago after one of the daughter was run off the road by another motorist. Long story short the other driver initially admitted fault but as soon as the police department arrived she changed her story. Police Officer refused to file any charges and let the insurance companies fight it out. If we had a Dash Cam in the vehicle it would have been a much easier fight with the insurance company.

I hope we never need the Dash Cam video but I think the expenditure will be justified if we are ever in another accident.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

I have a Blackvue 750 and a Viofo A129. Both are the 2 camera versions. I had them both installed at a stereo car shop for ~$170 each. If it was only the front cam I could DIY but I didn't feel like running wire all the way to the back window. Price also included hardwiring the cameras to the car battery through the interior fuse box to provide power when the car is off.

The Viofo is $180 on Amazon. Video quality is fine at 1080p for both front and rear. It has a LCD screen which I rarely use. It's bigger than the Blackvue and the UI is mediocre. It takes a lot of button pushes to adjust settings and it is not intuitive. The Viofo hardwire kit is primitive as it switches into parking mode when you turn the car off. If you access the recordings it takes it out of parking mode and you have to turn the car on/off to reset it. It does have voltage settings to turn off the camera so it doesn't drain the car battery. If you don't care about using the dashcam in park mode you can plug it into a cigarette lighter. You can access it through WiFi and the app is ok.

The Blackvue is twice as much. Front cam is 1080p while the rear cam is 720p. It does not have a LCD screen which gives it a smaller form factor. It's very easy to change the settings either through WiFi or on your PC. The Powermagic pro hardwire kit lets you adjust by voltage and/or time. It goes into parking mode when it detects the car has not moved after 3 min (a lot better than Viofo's solution). It has a few voice notifications like "starting recording" and"parking mode" which is really helpful letting you know the camera is working. The Viofo just beeps.

Both use capacitors for short-term power (enough to turn the cam off when power is disconnected without corrupting video). Cheaper dashcams use Li batteries which is a bad choice when car interiors routinely get well over a 100 degrees. They quickly degrade in that environment.

Both are popular brands. Depends how much you want to spend.