New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
tomd37
Posts: 3029
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by tomd37 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:14 pm

Subaru is introducing a new engine for its 2020 Outback line. For model years 2019 and prior they have offered a 3.6 liter BOXER engine. For model year 2020 the 3.6 engine has been discontinued and in its place Subaru is offering a 2.4 liter turbocharged engine. The new engine was standard in the new and larger vehicle 2019 Subaru Ascent line.

I am thinking about purchasing a Subaru Outback (2019 or 2020) but am not sure which engine might be better. The 3.6 liter engine has been used in the Subaru line for many years now and is liked and accepted by many. The new 2.4 liter engine is new to the Subaru line, save for one year. I am wondering if the turbocharged engine might be more of a problem in the future than the old tried and true BOXER six.

There are a couple of new items on the 2020 "Touring" trim line that I would like, but are not necessarily needed. The new engine is my biggest concern. If anyone would like to share their comments I would consider them.
Tom D.

jayk238
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by jayk238 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm

I personally have nothing against it in concept. You will still get a lot of hp at 260. The idea of a smaller volume turbocharge is nothing new and has been done by porsche for a long time. Of course its a different beast entirely!

If there are any concerns its that this is a new platform. What mitigates it is that the global platform the 2020 out ack is based on is also used by the current 2019 forrester and ascent.

I like the new options for the 2020 including ventilation (overrated many will say but still nice) and the larger display screen which i think is a big deal and more color options for the higher trim along with dedicated vehicle wifi.

I researched this extensively because we wanted rhe 2020 but alas my dad wanted his old car back last year and we bought the 19 3.6 touring no issues so far fingers crossed 🤞

Topic Author
tomd37
Posts: 3029
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by tomd37 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:06 pm

I too was looking more colors, but the 2020 "Touring" only has one new color Magnetite Gray Metallic. :annoyed Ventilated seats would be nice here in the south, more so than the heated seats that go along with the ventilated seats.
Tom D.

Sconie
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:23 am
Location: Arizona

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by Sconie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:18 am

I have a 2019 Outback Touring, but with the 2.5i "standard" boxer engine.

While there certainly are turbocharged engines that are reliable, Subaru has a history of having both engine and CVT "issues" with a number of their vehicles----when added to that is the realization that turbo engines tend to have more problems and require more maintenance that "regular" engines----what results is a situation that I, for one, would prefer to avoid.

Here is an interesting and informative write-up on turbo engines. As a matter of course, YMMV....

https://www.samarins.com/check/turbo-car.html

That said, good luck with your choice!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

lazydavid
Posts: 2378
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:20 am

I would not be concerned about it. Though this specific engine was new ~2 years ago with the introduction of the Ascent, Subaru has been putting turbocharged mills in most of their lineup for almost two decades. They've had a 2.0L turbo in the WRX since forever, and also the Forester XT, Legacy GT, and a couple of other models. The WRX STi has a 2.5L turbo.

ponyboy
Posts: 741
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:39 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by ponyboy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am

One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.

User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 4796
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by Nate79 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:01 am

You can search a number of past threads on positive comments about this engine currently in the Ascent.

lazydavid
Posts: 2378
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:07 am

ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am
One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.
Except it has changed, almost a full decade ago. It got somewhat better after 2007, and the 2011 Impreza was the last 2.5L with widespread head gasket issues.

TheOscarGuy
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Where I wanna be.

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:18 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:07 am
ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am
One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.
Except it has changed, almost a full decade ago. It got somewhat better after 2007, and the 2011 Impreza was the last 2.5L with widespread head gasket issues.
I don't have personal experience with the vehicle. However, don't the gasket issues show up later in a Subaru's life? A 2011 maybe too young to see any problems, perhaps?
Apart from gasket issues, and oil burning, I haven't heard any issues with Subarus. They seem to be as reliable as Honda/Toyota.

onourway
Posts: 1999
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by onourway » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 am

Yeah, I’m not convinced the head gasket issues are fixed. I’ve been hearing the same story every revision for 20 years. Problems seem to be most widespread when an engine is 10 years/120k or more.

Elyria
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by Elyria » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:24 am

The 3.6R is one of the smoothest, most reliable engines Subaru has ever made. I was disappointed that Subaru discontinued it, but the writing was on the wall--pressure is on automakers to reduce mpgs. I had a 2016 3.6 R and replaced it a month ago with a 2019 3.6R Touring. I paid less for the 2019 than I did for the 2016, which I had to order and wait for. If you like the 3.6R engine and don't mind the lower mpg, grab one quickly--and there are deals to be had with the outgoing model. I commute 60 miles per day on the highway and need the power to outrun the 18-wheelers barreling down I-75. It gets me up to speed comfortably. I average 25-27 mpg on the highway.

Odysseus
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:38 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by Odysseus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:25 am

We purchased a 2019 Outback Touring 3.6 about a month ago. Absolutely love the vehicle.

We researched and considered the 2020. They had some nice deals to start clearing the 2019s off the lot. In addition, my wife had a preference for the look of the 2019 over the 2020.

I'll bet your engine would be great either way, but I had a slight preference for the tried and true engine in the 2019.

You can't go wrong. Good luck!

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9742
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 am

ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am
One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.
Head gaskets were NA EJ engine issues primarily. There hasn't been an NA EJ engine in a Subaru since what? 5 years ago? Not sure exactly when the Forester went to the FB engine. What year is yours?

To the OP....I watch pricing of Subarus as we're going to replace our 10 year old Fusion next and plan on getting a Crosstrek manual. I see $6k discounts splashed on the front pages of lots of dealers for Outback H6's. I can't think of an issue beyond being harder to work on for the H6 going way back. They've had timing chains forever and have never had head gasket problems.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bondsr4me
Posts: 1174
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:08 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by bondsr4me » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:50 am

Odysseus wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:25 am
We purchased a 2019 Outback Touring 3.6 about a month ago. Absolutely love the vehicle.

We researched and considered the 2020. They had some nice deals to start clearing the 2019s off the lot. In addition, my wife had a preference for the look of the 2019 over the 2020.

I'll bet your engine would be great either way, but I had a slight preference for the tried and true engine in the 2019.

You can't go wrong. Good luck!
We just purchased our Outback Touring yesterday with the 3.6.
Only our second day with it; seems to have very nice pickup and runs smoothly.
Only time will tell if it is better than the Honda Accord we traded.
We'll find out for sure!

User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 4796
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by Nate79 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:18 am

It's amazing that every thread that mentions a Subaru has to bring up the headgasket issue, mostly by people who haven't got a clue about the issue but just heard about it or knew someone with the issue. The issue with the headgaskets is a well known problem with well known causes on the previous generation of engines. The fix was well known as well and with the correct fix the problem basically went away. The problem was basically with 2 generations of engines, with the 2nd generation having a much reduces problem rate as the early generation. But this problem never was a problem with the turbos so it doesn't really impact this thread which is asking about the new turbo engine.

jharkin
Posts: 2292
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 am
Location: Boston suburbs

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by jharkin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:25 am

Just as a point of semantics, the new 2.4 Turbo in the 2020 outback is still a "boxer" configuration. Its just smaller displacement and turbocharged.

Every automaker is going to smaller turbo engines due to fuel economy regs. This is nothing unusual.

TN_Boy
Posts: 954
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by TN_Boy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:24 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:07 am
ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am
One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.
Except it has changed, almost a full decade ago. It got somewhat better after 2007, and the 2011 Impreza was the last 2.5L with widespread head gasket issues.
But there were oil consumption issues after 2011 with that engine (piston ring issues).

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016 ... suit.shtml

The settlement covered some cars as new as 2015.

And that 2.5L motor is hardly a jewel .... lacking power .... sounds like a tractor ..... fuel economy only okay .... it's not a terrible engine, but it's not exactly cutting edge technology. Subaru's have some nice qualities, but upgrades to the engine technology wouldn't be a bad thing.

ohai
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by ohai » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:31 am

I don't know about any head gasket issue, but it's pretty incredible that Subaru has been selling cars with a 3.6l V6 until now. Buyers have had a choice between a weak 4 cylinder and an old 6 cylinder engine that has the same mpg as a Honda Pilot. I don't know why they haven't just licensed some other company's engine already. Anyway, it will be good for them to update their powertrain. Hopefully, they'll get more sales.

02nz
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by 02nz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:36 am

jayk238 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm
If there are any concerns its that this is a new platform. What mitigates it is that the global platform the 2020 out ack is based on is also used by the current 2019 forrester and ascent.
And the Crosstrek and Impreza. The Impreza has been on the new platform since model year 2017 (so about 3 years now). The new platform is a big improvement in driving dynamics.

pyld76
Posts: 191
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by pyld76 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:05 am

In my (close, but not all nuclear) family are 3 of the 2.5L subaru boxers (non-turbo) in late model outbacks and legacy and forrester and a 3.6L outback.

Everything is an opinion: the CVT defeats the purpose of a "fast" engine in every platform I've driven as a part of the subaru lineup.

It defeats the purpose to buy the "big" engine in a subaru today where there's a choice, because the transmission ruins it.

badger42
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:01 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by badger42 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 am

Not only is the 2.4 Turbo the same as the motor in the Ascent, it's a close relative to the 2.0 NA motor in the Crosstrek / Impreza, and the 2.0 Turbo in the WRX, which have done pretty well so far.

One thing that's missing - where is the OP driving? A turbo maintains power with altitude, a NA motor (2.5 or 3.6) does not.

This means that the performance gap is a lot wider (say) in the Rocky Mountains than in Florida or Vermont. If you're climbing 10k foot peaks on a regular basis, you will really appreciate the turbo (since at 10,000 feet the NA motor will lose close to 1/3 of its power). If you're driving in the flatlands the 2.5 is probably fine.

Having said that, if I were buying a new Outback, I'd probably spring for the turbo motor for the fun factor. It also has a really wide, flat torque curve and should "feel" faster than the 3.6 did.

ohai
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by ohai » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:48 am

I think more power eliminates the undesirable driving feel of a CVT. With a weak engine, you feel the powertrain struggle and drone under acceleration. If you have excessive power, it feels like your engine is always in the sweet spot. If you like a transmission with a broad torque curve in each gear, then you should like a powerful CVT car. No shift lag, all the power all the time.

I think a lot of people shut down CVT without giving it fair consideration. It tends to get paired with budget or fuel conscious cars. So, of course it is not fun overall. Otherwise, people are stuck in their old thinking and cannot change like a religion.

One great example of a CVT car that is great to drive in Nissan Maxima. It's really a good, fun, effortless, underrated car. I haven't driven the high engine Subarus, but I don't like the low engine ones... they have CVTs, but the problem in general is that they are underpowered. With 300hp, I bet they would be great, maybe hilariously so like the old Forester Turbo.

scout80
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:20 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by scout80 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 am

We bought a 2019 Legacy with the 3.6 about 3 months ago. It is an awesome engine and is super smooth and all the power one would need - 0-60 in a little over 6 seconds is a great feeling. There were only a handful available in our state at the time so I'm glad we got one when we did. I have no concerns about the new engine though and would have bought one if they were available when we needed the new car.

lazydavid
Posts: 2378
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by lazydavid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 am

ohai wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:31 am
I don't know about any head gasket issue, but it's pretty incredible that Subaru has been selling cars with a 3.6l V6 until now. Buyers have had a choice between a weak 4 cylinder and an old 6 cylinder engine that has the same mpg as a Honda Pilot. I don't know why they haven't just licensed some other company's engine already. Anyway, it will be good for them to update their powertrain. Hopefully, they'll get more sales.
To be clear, the Outback has never been offered with a V6. I'd have to do some digging, but off the cuff I'm pretty sure Subaru has never had a V6 in the stable, period. The outback H6 uses a flat 6, also called a boxer or horizontally-opposed engine. And there is your reason why they don't use someone else's engine. A V6 won't fit properly (too tall), and the only other company that makes a flat 6 in volume is Porsche. I suspect their 3.6L six costs more than an entire Outback, all by itself.

surfstar
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by surfstar » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:02 am

If we buy an Outback it would definitely be with the turbo engine. They're great at elevation, provide low-end torque, yet are efficient on the freeway when cruising. It will now also be rated to tow 3500 lbs vs 2700 lbs with the 3.6R.

Our VW 1.8T routinely exceeds the EPA hwy estimate and has for over the lifetime of the car, thus far. Rated 25/35 city/hwy, and my average over 55k miles -- 38.x mpg (spreadsheet tracked, not "car computer" numbers).

I only wish that they would offer a smaller turbo engine option, purely for efficiency. A 2.0L turbo would outperform the NA 2.5L base engine and get better mileage.

bottom line
Don't fear a turbo - there are many other things that are just as likely to go wrong on modern cars ;)
Last edited by surfstar on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohai
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by ohai » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 am
ohai wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:31 am
I don't know about any head gasket issue, but it's pretty incredible that Subaru has been selling cars with a 3.6l V6 until now. Buyers have had a choice between a weak 4 cylinder and an old 6 cylinder engine that has the same mpg as a Honda Pilot. I don't know why they haven't just licensed some other company's engine already. Anyway, it will be good for them to update their powertrain. Hopefully, they'll get more sales.
To be clear, the Outback has never been offered with a V6. I'd have to do some digging, but off the cuff I'm pretty sure Subaru has never had a V6 in the stable, period. The outback H6 uses a flat 6, also called a boxer or horizontally-opposed engine. And there is your reason why they don't use someone else's engine. A V6 won't fit properly (too tall), and the only other company that makes a flat 6 in volume is Porsche. I suspect their 3.6L six costs more than an entire Outback, all by itself.
Sorry buddy, I stated the wrong engine configuration, but I maintain my point about the engine being old.

Regarding fitting in the engine bay - they could have planned to build a car with a bit more engine space if they wanted to. Similar size cars from other brands have V6 engines. They just didn't configure their model lineup to accept more engine choices. This might have contributed to the the old engine problem and isn't an excuse.

Maybe Subaru buyers don't care about having an up to date engine. Maybe Subaru didn't want to spend money to offer it. Who knows. Either way, it is about time they updated their powertrain.
Last edited by ohai on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.BB
Posts: 990
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by Mr.BB » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:15 am

Go take a couple of test drives now with the current engine and that will let you compare to the other engine later on.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 20981
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:20 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 am
ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am
One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.
Head gaskets were NA EJ engine issues primarily. There hasn't been an NA EJ engine in a Subaru since what? 5 years ago? Not sure exactly when the Forester went to the FB engine. What year is yours?
My understanding is from 2010 on, the head gasket issue went away on the Subaru Outback. I'll let you know in 25-30K miles if that's truly the case. The car will burn a little bit of oil, but I don't find that to be the case for the first 3-5K on it, after each oil change.
I drive a 2010 model and apart from basic required maintenance, this has been a good car to drive and own.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

dbr
Posts: 29798
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by dbr » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:23 am

A person who is not happy with the powertrain engineering used by Subaru has plenty of alternatives. Maybe a CRV is a choice.

However, it is easy to skate where the puck was and difficult to anticipate the actual problems that will develop five years from now with any choice.

User avatar
tcassette
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:20 pm
Location: Southeast Tennessee

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by tcassette » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 pm

ohai wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am
lazydavid wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 am
ohai wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:31 am
I don't know about any head gasket issue, but it's pretty incredible that Subaru has been selling cars with a 3.6l V6 until now. Buyers have had a choice between a weak 4 cylinder and an old 6 cylinder engine that has the same mpg as a Honda Pilot. I don't know why they haven't just licensed some other company's engine already. Anyway, it will be good for them to update their powertrain. Hopefully, they'll get more sales.
To be clear, the Outback has never been offered with a V6. I'd have to do some digging, but off the cuff I'm pretty sure Subaru has never had a V6 in the stable, period. The outback H6 uses a flat 6, also called a boxer or horizontally-opposed engine. And there is your reason why they don't use someone else's engine. A V6 won't fit properly (too tall), and the only other company that makes a flat 6 in volume is Porsche. I suspect their 3.6L six costs more than an entire Outback, all by itself.
Sorry buddy, I stated the wrong engine configuration, but I maintain my point about the engine being old.

Regarding fitting in the engine bay - they could have planned to build a car with a bit more engine space if they wanted to. Similar size cars from other brands have V6 engines. They just didn't configure their model lineup to accept more engine choices. This might have contributed to the the old engine problem and isn't an excuse.

Maybe Subaru buyers don't care about having an up to date engine. Maybe Subaru didn't want to spend money to offer it. Who knows. Either way, it is about time they updated their powertrain.
Subaru buyers (like me) appreciate the boxer engine placed longitudinally, which facilitates the superior Subaru AWD system and lowers the center of gravity. A tried and true older design is not necessarily a bad thing, especially when properly executed. The MPG on a 3.6 AWD Outback is consistent with that of a Toyota Highlander V6.

shiftleft
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:24 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by shiftleft » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 pm

You can get significant discounts for the 2019 version. My local Subaru is offering $7200 off the MSRP for the 3.6 Touring. Other variations are getting in the $6K range off MSRP.

dziuniek
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: Corrupticut

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by dziuniek » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:12 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 am
ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am
One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.
Head gaskets were NA EJ engine issues primarily. There hasn't been an NA EJ engine in a Subaru since what? 5 years ago? Not sure exactly when the Forester went to the FB engine. What year is yours?

To the OP....I watch pricing of Subarus as we're going to replace our 10 year old Fusion next and plan on getting a Crosstrek manual. I see $6k discounts splashed on the front pages of lots of dealers for Outback H6's. I can't think of an issue beyond being harder to work on for the H6 going way back. They've had timing chains forever and have never had head gasket problems.
Obviously anecdotal, but here's our experience:

- bought a new 2013 Outback 2.5 liter engine 4 cyl.
- drinks oil like a pirate
- CVT transmission went KAPUT at 41 or 42k miles.

Can't say either about our other vehicles (current or past: scion tc, mr2 spyder, camry)

Even if current Subbies have gotten better, you won't find me being the one to find o

That being said, we do like the 2013 Outback for what it is. If not for all the issues we have had it with it, we'd buy another. If I had way more cash than I do, with extended warranty - it's a maybe.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 5887
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:31 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am
One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.
I'm not a Scooby fanperson, but didn't they resolve the too frequent head gasket failures in the latest models? A small turbo engine doing the work of larger NA engine means more stress on the little engine that could, but it's possible they designed it to withstand the stress for a long time.

User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 4796
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by Nate79 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:03 am

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:31 pm
ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am
One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.
I'm not a Scooby fanperson, but didn't they resolve the too frequent head gasket failures in the latest models? A small turbo engine doing the work of larger NA engine means more stress on the little engine that could, but it's possible they designed it to withstand the stress for a long time.
Yes they fixed the headgasket problem though the design of the boxer engine makes them more susceptible to it than other designs. But the turbos never had the problem and Subaru has made turbos for a long long time.

02nz
Posts: 2140
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by 02nz » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 am

Pricing has just been released for the '20 model: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/16/202 ... announced/

Basically it will cost more to get the turbo, compared to the six-cylinder before (holding trim levels comparable).

surfstar
Posts: 1684
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by surfstar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:57 am

02nz wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:42 am
Pricing has just been released for the '20 model: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/16/202 ... announced/

Basically it will cost more to get the turbo, compared to the six-cylinder before (holding trim levels comparable).
...aaaaand we're out.

$36k for a turbo - no thanks. Our car shopping starts closer to $25k. We'll see if that is still viable in a few years when we actually need a new(er) car though...! Maybe a CPO Outback at that point would work ;)

btenny
Posts: 5103
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by btenny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:12 am

I suggest you dig around and find out what transmissions they are planning for the 2019 and 2020 Outback models. That will effect how the car performs (and the reliability) as much as the new engine. The CVT is a fairly new design for better MPG but has lower performance. TBD how it will mate and work with the newer Turbo engine.

I know way back when I bought a 2013 model to get a true 5 speed transmission and the proven 3.6R engine. It drives great and has good acceleration up to 100 MPH. Much better than the newer models with the CVT. So a good road car. And it is great in the snow. Oh and mine gets a solid 28 MPG on the highway and 25 overall. With great reliability. In 51K miles I have bought a set of tires and a battery and a few oil changes.

Good Luck.

Topic Author
tomd37
Posts: 3029
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by tomd37 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:13 pm

@Shiftleft - You mention dealers in your area offering $7200 off MSRP. Is that off the base MRSP plus delivery or is it $7200 off the MSRP that might include Subaru Packages and added dealer items? I will be talking with my dealer on Saturday morning.
Tom D.

User avatar
RootSki
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:52 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by RootSki » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:10 am

I would not buy any car without a turbo or supercharger. I will never buy another naturally aspirated car again. Turbocharging have been in use almost 100 years and computer controlled boosting, oil cooling and fuel inputs all make for a great and consistent driving experience. Don’t fear the boost!

vshun
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by vshun » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 pm

Voting for Turbo option. I went from Outback 2010 170hp to Afford 1.5 turbo 192 up/torque and what a difference in fuel economy, acceleration, quietness. I would love to go again Outback but feel they keep dropping a ball on engine design. And 2.5 is too fuel thirsty for me, as I get in Accord 37mpg mixed driving DC suburbs I would need Outback to deliver 33 mog to be equivalent to Accord given difference in size and weight. Outback 1.8 turbo with 210 torque/hp would be a sweat spot. They should really get rid of that base engine with smaller turbo, or offer hybrid but the latter would probably eat into usable space.

Topic Author
tomd37
Posts: 3029
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by tomd37 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:15 am

OP here and back again - Purchased a 2019 Subaru Outback Touring trim with 3.6R engine on Saturday. Poster 'Shiftleft' hit the price offering right on the head with a $7,200 discount off MSRP. Even got them to totally take off the $$$ for the dealer "add-on" items (e.g. pin stripes, nitrogen in tires, door edge and door handle guards, and tinting on front passenger and driver's windows). They had not yet put the pin stripes on but the other three had already been added (probably changed the tire stem caps to green ones!) How the heck do they "change" the air in a tire to nitrogen? Got a fair value for my nine-year old trade-in. This dealer was swamped with business on Saturday and is part of the Hendrick Automotive Group.
Tom D.

money_bunny
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by money_bunny » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:57 am

tomd37 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:15 am
How the heck do they "change" the air in a tire to nitrogen?
Probably put it on a lift, take the valve stems out.
Then put them back in and fill with nitrogen.

dbr
Posts: 29798
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by dbr » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 am

money_bunny wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:57 am
tomd37 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:15 am
How the heck do they "change" the air in a tire to nitrogen?
Probably put it on a lift, take the valve stems out.
Then put them back in and fill with nitrogen.
Exactly, except they flush it once with some N2 before filling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8zzuXbsgRo The video also shows how you can test for N2 concentration with a target of 96%.

oldlongbeard
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:07 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by oldlongbeard » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:22 am

TN_Boy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:24 am
lazydavid wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:07 am
ponyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 am
One thing that will never change with a subaru...an engine that leaks and head gaskets that need replaced. We're trying to squeeze another year or two out of our forester before we get rid of it.
Except it has changed, almost a full decade ago. It got somewhat better after 2007, and the 2011 Impreza was the last 2.5L with widespread head gasket issues.
But there were oil consumption issues after 2011 with that engine (piston ring issues).

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2016 ... suit.shtml

The settlement covered some cars as new as 2015.

And that 2.5L motor is hardly a jewel .... lacking power .... sounds like a tractor ..... fuel economy only okay .... it's not a terrible engine, but it's not exactly cutting edge technology. Subaru's have some nice qualities, but upgrades to the engine technology wouldn't be a bad thing.
Huh. Mine has plenty of power, and while not smooth, far from tractor-like, gets 31+ MPG in everyday driving, and thus far, in 65k miles uses no oil. Rather be lucky than good. 😁

rai
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:11 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by rai » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:30 am

We have the smaller 2.5L version and to be honest it’s quite nice. I never feel like should have got the larger engine. The turbo is newer design and likely better in some regards to the outgoing 3.6L

I love Subaru’s and have 3 in the family 2018 Outback and BRZ and 2009 Legacy wagon.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

mpnret
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 9:16 am

Re: New Subaru Outback Engine Offering for 2020

Post by mpnret » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:17 pm

rai wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:30 am
We have the smaller 2.5L version and to be honest it’s quite nice. I never feel like should have got the larger engine. The turbo is newer design and likely better in some regards to the outgoing 3.6L

I love Subaru’s and have 3 in the family 2018 Outback and BRZ and 2009 Legacy wagon.
In 2010 we purchased an Outback for my wife and a Legacy for myself (both the 2.5L engine). Previous car was Lexus RX300 6 cyl. We both find the 2.5L has all the power we need, great gas mileage plus it's smooth especially when coupled with the CVT. The CVT gives somewhat of a electric car feel. Smooth power transition no annoying shifting. In 2013 we traded my wife's OB for another OB (still 2.5L) mainly to get EyeSight. In 2016 my wife decided she would like a smaller SUV like the jeep renegade (junk). I talked her into a Forester (2.5L). In a few months the redesigned 2020 Legacy will be out. I most likely will trade my 2010 Legacy for one. I will take the turbo for a test ride but really don't see the need. I do like the idea that Subaru (and Mazda) came out with a turbo without the premium fuel requirement most others have.

Post Reply