Ring video doorbell 2

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
raveon

Ring video doorbell 2

Post by raveon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:14 pm

If I don't sign up for the cloud storage service ($3/month, $30/year), does the ring video doorbell work well? Beside losing the ability to review non-live events do I miss anything else? I was planning to setup Arlo cameras in the future to get live feed with 7 day rolling cloud storage. Existing home security is Ring devices without professional monitoring.

The Amazon prime day deal looks decent.

mhalley

Re: Ring video doorbell 2

Post by mhalley » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:58 pm

I was somewhat disappointed in mine. The delay between someone pressing the doorbell and the notification on my phone is sometimes excessive. I think I read this is less of a problem if it hooked to power instead of battery. I also had problems adjusting the motion sensor to not go off at passing cars in the street. I love the concept, but feel it is lacking in execution. I am not totally unhappy with the purchase, the deal looks good so it is worth a try.

Post by alter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:31 pm

I will just say Im very happy with the ring2, it exceeds my expectations, and the neighborhood alerts is a bonus if you sign up for cloud. I prepaid the year in advance and then its cheaper...only like $20 if i recall. But i went ahead and ordered the whole house ring alarm system and am planning on combining with that.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:08 pm

For $30/yr I would recommend paying for it until you get the Arlo cameras.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:34 pm

I ended up just putting one of my $20. Wyze cameras at the front door. Full HD, night vision, free rolling 14 day cloud storage no subscription, alerts, alexa integration, motion detection, person recognition, 8x digital zoom and so on. It's got a lot for an inexpensive camera. So far I am still testing but plan on ordering more soon.

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:19 pm

I don't see the great advantage to these things unless one lives in a neighborhood where burglars enter through the front door. In my area they are partial to entering through windows, side doors, back doors, garage doors, pretty much anything other than a front door. This is how they have done "business" for decades. But I suppose one could always use it to yell at the delivery person for carelessly damaging their front door, should that situation arise. Or use the saved video to put out an all points bulletin on the guy who stole your weekly razor blade shipment.
Semper Augustus

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Just get a mean dog.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:54 pm

StandingRock wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm
Just get a mean dog.
Will eat more than $30/year.
Friar1610

rj342

Post by rj342 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:15 pm

Only negative I have to say about mine is that I have to lower the motion detection region enough to reduce false alerts from passing cars, that it can miss the persons initial approach if they walk up quickly. Not a problem for someone standing there waiting for you to answer doorbell. but sometimes you just see the delivery persons middle then back as they walk away.

It really should have a continuous 5 or 10 second internal video buffer so that recording could include more of the approach *before* the late/slow/close activation.