Bathtub Mat Recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
daytona084

Bathtub Mat Recommendation

Post by daytona084 »

Sorry if this seems trivial.... We recently purchased a bathtub mat that specifically states on the label "Treated with an Agent to Resist Mildew". The brand is "Maytex". However, based on our results, this "agent" does not resist mildew, it seems to actually promote mold and mildew. There is an incredible amount of mold and mildew growing on both sides of the mat. It's pretty gross. We always hang up the mat vertically in between uses. There are several bath mats with reviews on line, but I am concerned that the reviews are based on a short term impression and not longer term, when the mold/mildew would become evident. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bath mat that remains free of mold and mildew?
mhalley

Re: Bathtub Mat Recommendation

Post by mhalley »

I bought some washable cloth ones that I throw into the washing machine weekly. To keep it from slipping I put those anti-slip mats beneath.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Not trivial. I broke a rib falling in a fiberglass shower and my wife gashed her skull slipping in a tub - both while traveling (separate incidents).

"Shower sandals" are far better than a mat. Portable too. We share a pair of light-weight Crocs and use them religiously.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

Bath mats need to be washed weekly to remain mildew free. We wash weekly with Clorox sanitizing detergent with success.
gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

Bleach
We take them to Hotels and usually forget them
My dad fell in shower at hotel
So I’m sensitive
mb2016

Post by mb2016 »

I have found a couple of teak shower mats work great in my shower...not a tub, but you could check Amazon to see if you can find correct size that fits your needs.
Topic Author
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

mb2016 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 am I have found a couple of teak shower mats work great in my shower...not a tub, but you could check Amazon to see if you can find correct size that fits your needs.
Hmm... It appears on Amazon (also searching google images) that the wood "shower mats" (teak and bamboo) are made to be used next to the shower, not in the shower. (or bathtub).
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

Where is the line between, the mat being mildew/mold resistant and the mildew/mold growing on soapy body residue? I don't know.

Mold spores float in the air and look for moist places to land. Through in a bit of soap residue and microscopic pieces of body dander for a food source and you have all that is needed for mold growth. May not be growing on the mat, but growing on the residue on the mat.

Your post said "resist". Resist does not mean prevent.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Now that I think about it, not sure if op is talking about a mat that goes in the bathtub or one that is next to the bathtub for when you step out. I fixed my slippery bathtub by “painting” it with a non stick material. I think this is the one I used and it worked fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X ... UTF8&psc=1
Topic Author
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

Definitely talking about the mat that goes in the bathtub or shower.
Topic Author
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

Yooper16 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:14 pm Where is the line between, the mat being mildew/mold resistant and the mildew/mold growing on soapy body residue? I don't know.

Mold spores float in the air and look for moist places to land. Through in a bit of soap residue and microscopic pieces of body dander for a food source and you have all that is needed for mold growth. May not be growing on the mat, but growing on the residue on the mat.

Your post said "resist". Resist does not mean prevent.

Yes, "resist" is not the same as "prevent"... However, in my opinion, if the product says "resists", one should expect something better than this:

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Good topic. I'm not happy with the ones I've found though I am using one I found at BB&B
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I have some kind of slip resistant material applied to the tub. The tub came that way.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

I am no chemist but I know this - from years of dealing with these type problems

The degree of success you get with any bath or kitchen product that claims to be mildew and mold resistant has a lot to do with your water. Hard or soft, well water or municipal, just exactly what type minerals/chemicals/other content is added to it.

Add to that the actual bathroom conditions - window or no window, overhead fan or not.

Determine all of these variables, then go ask a scientist (or the 9th grade kid at your local STEM high school) to recommend the best brand of bathtub mat.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

drawpoker wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:57 pm I am no chemist but I know this - from years of dealing with these type problems

The degree of success you get with any bath or kitchen product that claims to be mildew and mold resistant has a lot to do with your water. Hard or soft, well water or municipal, just exactly what type minerals/chemicals/other content is added to it.

Add to that the actual bathroom conditions - window or no window, overhead fan or not.

Determine all of these variables, then go ask a scientist (or the 9th grade kid at your local STEM high school) to recommend the best brand of bathtub mat.
There could be a higher allowable organic material level in the water than was used by their testing standards.

Leave the exhaust fan on for 20 minutes after a bath or shower------ or so the experts say. Humidity levels need to get below 35- 40% to reduce the potential for mold spores.

Molds and fungi were here well before we got here and will be here longer after we are in the ground. And actually mold and fungi are needed to get rid of our presence once we are in the ground.

Good Luck---- mother nature will always win
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

Yooper16 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:44 pm .
drawpoker wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:57 pm I am no chemist but I know this .....degree of success you get with any bath or kitchen product .....has a lot to do with your water. Hard or soft, well water or municipal, just exactly what type minerals/chemicals/other content is added to it.

There could be a higher allowable organic material level in the water than was used by their testing standards.......
Absolutely correct you are, sir, that's why when we conduct these tests we insist the STEM kid rigidly follows the strictest empirical rules, to the point of incurring cost for double -blind studies, anything it takes to uncover the truth.....

Ah, um, well, not really. Was being totally tongue-in-cheek here :P

Bathtub Mat Recommendation? Easy, just pick the color, size and weight of the material you prefer. :)

After all, no matter how religiously you hang them up to dry after each use, you are going to have to generously dunk them in Clorox mixture on a regular basis anyway. :( :annoyed :x
mb2016

Post by mb2016 »

daytona084 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm
mb2016 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 am I have found a couple of teak shower mats work great in my shower...not a tub, but you could check Amazon to see if you can find correct size that fits your needs.
Hmm... It appears on Amazon (also searching google images) that the wood "shower mats" (teak and bamboo) are made to be used next to the shower, not in the shower. (or bathtub).
Perhaps bamboo or some other wood is not suitable inside the shower but real teak does very well. I have had two of these in my shower for over two years now...no issues at all if you stand them up on their side to dry after every use. I did have to Gorilla glue some rubber feet onto them so the wood doesn’t touch the tile floor. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O ... UTF8&psc=1
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

I have thought more about finding something to reduce how slippery our tub/shower (fiberglass) is. One thing that I do think has promoted our safety is the suction cup grab bars that we have installed. I always felt that the greatest falling hazard is getting in and out of the tub/shower and the grab bars have certainly helped AND they are easily installed. You may want to take a look at this option.