Retire or relocate to Portland, Maine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mtmingus

Retire or relocate to Portland, Maine

Post by mtmingus »

I am sure there are recent retirees to the Portland Maine area (especially from the Midwest).
Please share your experience /surprises.

Thanks!
Last edited by mtmingus on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Retire to Portland, Maine

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (where to live).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
tennisplyr

Re: Retire or relocate to Portland, Maine

Post by tennisplyr »

This site might have some helpful info.

www.city-data.com/forum
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Thanks for the link. I visited this area a few times but each time lasted a week of less, as a tourist.
I'd like to hear from some residents, retirees from this area.
I like a lot of things in the Portland area. I am not bothered by the long winter season.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

The drinking water is really good. Straight from the faucet. I don't have anything else to add since I was only there once, but I definitely would like to go back. Been to 30 of the 50 states and Maine is definitely top 5.. in the summer at least.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

health teacher wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:34 am The drinking water is really good. Straight from the faucet. I don't have anything else to add since I was only there once, but I definitely would like to go back. Been to 30 of the 50 states and Maine is definitely top 5.. in the summer at least.
Totally agree!
I visited Maine in the summer and fall only - the best seasons!
I know their winters are long. But I don't think they have polar vortexes we see every winters here in the Great Lake regions recently.
OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos »

Grew up and still have family in the greater-Portland area. College and career have taken me out of the state for the past 30 years, but I still look forward to visiting every year.

Portland is a great small city. Taxes and cost of living in general is higher than (some) other areas of the US, but on par for the Northeast. That, black fly season (read: summer) and avoiding routes to the beach on summer weekends and leaf-peepers in the fall are the biggest downsides. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

Being on the coast, it doesn't get as much snow as inland, but it gets its fair share.

Great restuarants, and if you're into craft beer, plan your move there now. :beer
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

OrderAndChaos wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:22 pm Grew up and still have family in the greater-Portland area. College and career have taken me out of the state for the past 30 years, but I still look forward to visiting every year.

Portland is a great small city. Taxes and cost of living in general is higher than (some) other areas of the US, but on par for the Northeast. That, black fly season (read: summer) and avoiding routes to the beach on summer weekends and leaf-peepers in the fall are the biggest downsides. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

Being on the coast, it doesn't get as much snow as inland, but it gets its fair share.

Great restuarants, and if you're into craft beer, plan your move there now. :beer
Thanks for your insider's views!
Yes their restaurants are great.
Like the small city settings. Maybe next time I will visit in the winter to first-hand experience it.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

mtmingus wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:08 am Thanks for the link. I visited this area a few times but each time lasted a week of less, as a tourist.
I like a lot of things in the Portland area. I am not bothered by the long winter season.
Obviously, it depends on what you like for a retirement living. I retired to Maine, south of Portland, and love it.

In Portland:
- You are close to lots of outdoor activities
- You will be in a nice small city, with lots going on
- Very nice beer scene if you are in to that

You might do well by making a list of what attributes you want in a retirement community, then seeing if they match up well with Portland or not. And if at all possible, rent for a while before buying.

Before we retired here, we bought our 2nd home here (after having vacationed here for almost 20 years). We spent pretty much every weekend and every vacation here for over seven years. Earlier this year, we sold our primary residence and moved here full time. It's been terrific.

I wouldn't want to live in a city, even a small one. Nice for visiting, but not my idea of a nice place to live. But I understand that many do enjoy that lifestyle.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:13 pm
mtmingus wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:08 am Thanks for the link. I visited this area a few times but each time lasted a week of less, as a tourist.
Obviously, it depends on what you like for a retirement living. I retired to Maine, south of Portland, and love it.

In Portland:
- You are close to lots of outdoor activities
- You will be in a nice small city, with lots going on
- Very nice beer scene if you are in to that

You might do well by making a list of what attributes you want in a retirement community, then seeing if they match up well with Portland or not. And if at all possible, rent for a while before buying.

Before we retired here, we bought our 2nd home here (after having vacationed here for almost 20 years). We spent pretty much every weekend and every vacation here for over seven years. Earlier this year, we sold our primary residence and moved here full time. It's been terrific.

I wouldn't want to live in a city, even a small one. Nice for visiting, but not my idea of a nice place to live. But I understand that many do enjoy that lifestyle.
Thanks Joe!

South burbs of Portland is actually what I meant!
I love the neighborhood feelings of houses surround by woods in three sides. Close to the city, hiking trails, and beaches. Away from but close to the urban amenities.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

mtmingus wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:22 pm South burbs of Portland is actually what I meant!
I love the neighborhood feelings of houses surround by woods in three sides. Close to the city, hiking trails, and beaches. Away from but close to the urban amenities.
We are actually closer to Portsmouth, NH than Portland, ME but we enjoy visiting both. Maine is nice - as the sign says: "The Way Life Should Be".

That said, many of my neighbors head south in the winter. Someday I may do the same.

Good luck!
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 »

We live a few hours north of Portland but have family down that way.
Recently a relative just moved up where we are because of job opps and traffic in Scarborough area.
Sister lives in back bay area. They like it, but again the traffic is the big complaint ; and the taxes.
Plenty to do and see in that area but its not really the "woods" any more. It has become a sprawling city without roads being properly planned for the amount of vehicles that keep coming.
Portland Jetport and Boston and even Manchester airports being close by make travel very convenient.
Crime and some violence seems to be on the upswing lately it seems to me. Still safer than most areas but there has been a change in the last few years that you should definitely be aware of your surroundings especially at night.
Favorite time of year for us is the Fall and Winter. Tourists mostly gone. Weather is cooler. Traffic is a little better.
Winter is long. Bugs can be fierce. Mud season is a real season here.
Can supply more details if needed.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Lemonaid56 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:10 am We live a few hours north of Portland but have family down that way.
Recently a relative just moved up where we are because of job opps and traffic in Scarborough area.
Sister lives in back bay area. They like it, but again the traffic is the big complaint ; and the taxes.
Plenty to do and see in that area but its not really the "woods" any more. It has become a sprawling city without roads being properly planned for the amount of vehicles that keep coming.
Portland Jetport and Boston and even Manchester airports being close by make travel very convenient.
Crime and some violence seems to be on the upswing lately it seems to me. Still safer than most areas but there has been a change in the last few years that you should definitely be aware of your surroundings especially at night.
Favorite time of year for us is the Fall and Winter. Tourists mostly gone. Weather is cooler. Traffic is a little better.
Winter is long. Bugs can be fierce. Mud season is a real season here.
Can supply more details if needed.
Thanks for your insightful views!

"Bugs can be fierce" - I just experienced that early this month. I thought walking in the woods would be a breeze.
"Mud season is a real season here" - could you elaborate more? Not flooding I hope.
"traffic in Scarborough area" - is traffic in this neighborhood particularly bad in the Portland area?
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

You won't need to worry about mud season in the Portland area! It's a big deal in more rural parts of New England though. It happens late winter/early spring when everything starts to thaw out and the dirt roads get wicked muddy.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

alpenglow wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm You won't need to worry about mud season in the Portland area! It's a big deal in more rural parts of New England though. It happens late winter/early spring when everything starts to thaw out and the dirt roads get wicked muddy.
Got it!
Thanks!
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I've only been there briefly, but I have a friend who moved there about five years ago. He's still working, but planned to retire there in a few years.

But he and his wife are having second thoughts. And it mostly has to do with the long winters. They originally lived in Portland, OR, so they were prepared for the long periods of darkness. But the length of the cold and snowy season (essentially November through April) is getting old for them.

That being said, they do love it there. But now they are considering downsizing their Portland home and buying a second home somewhere warmer for the winter months.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
A440

Post by A440 »

Portland Maine has Allagash Brewing Company! :beer
That and Acadia and Sugarbush both <3 hours away are another plus.
Tons of lakes to visit during the summer.
Might need to VRBO somewhere else during some of the winter?
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

A440 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 am Portland Maine has Allagash Brewing Company! :beer
That and Acadia and Sugarbush both <3 hours away are another plus.
Tons of lakes to visit during the summer.
Might need to VRBO somewhere else during some of the winter?
There are quite a lot of good Brewers: Shipyard, Peaks, Allagash etc.
Arizona winter home sounds nice!
Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley »

I lived in Yarmouth (north of Portland) for 17 years - that's where my husband is from. We moved to Colorado 4 years ago.

The winters didn't bother me initially, but as we got older (I'm 59 now), it started to get tiresome. It's not just the snow and snowbanks and cold - the days are very short.

I don't miss the mosquitos and other biting bugs, humidity, and tourists.

I do miss small towns, fall, bean suppers, local festivals and fairs, and the ocean.

Note that you will always be considered "from away" - it doesn't matter how long you live there. :-)
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Yiewsley wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:05 am I lived in Yarmouth (north of Portland) for 17 years - that's where my husband is from. We moved to Colorado 4 years ago.

The winters didn't bother me initially, but as we got older (I'm 59 now), it started to get tiresome. It's not just the snow and snowbanks and cold - the days are very short.

I don't miss the mosquitos and other biting bugs, humidity, and tourists.

I do miss small towns, fall, bean suppers, local festivals and fairs, and the ocean.

Note that you will always be considered "from away" - it doesn't matter how long you live there. :-)
Thanks for the advice!
OrderAndChaos

Post by OrderAndChaos »

Yiewsley wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:05 am Note that you will always be considered "from away" - it doesn't matter how long you live there. :-)
Very true. I was born in Massachusetts and moved to Maine at age 3. I was never a native.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

OrderAndChaos wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:46 pm
Yiewsley wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:05 am Note that you will always be considered "from away" - it doesn't matter how long you live there. :-)
Very true. I was born in Massachusetts and moved to Maine at age 3. I was never a native.
Maybe you were from West Mass :-)
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

An interesting observation in my trip to Portland early this month:

There is a classic radio station in Portland Maine! Such a small market but enough public support (from retirees?). Amazing!

https://www.mainepublic.org/post/maine- ... how-listen
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

A440 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 am Portland Maine has Allagash Brewing Company! :beer
If you like good beers, take the tour of their brewery. You can thank me later.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:37 am
Tried Lone Pine and Urban Farm 3 weeks ago. :beer
Great selections but very crowed in Lone Pine.
HANK1964

Post by HANK1964 »

My son was born in Burlington, VT but we moved from there when he was only 6 months. Through several relocations we moved steadily South to RI, NJ and finally VA. When he was a senior in high school he selected the University of New Hampshire for college. His first job after UNH was in Portland, ME where he has been for the past 28 years with the same employer. He complains about the taxes, both local and state, bottle deposits on virtually everything, and the cost for trash disposal. He emails pictures of the latest snowfall. All of that said I don't think he would ever relocate. He and his family absolutely love Portland.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

HANK1964 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:02 pm My son was born in Burlington, VT but we moved from there when he was only 6 months. Through several relocations we moved steadily South to RI, NJ and finally VA. When he was a senior in high school he selected the University of New Hampshire for college. His first job after UNH was in Portland, ME where he has been for the past 28 years with the same employer. He complains about the taxes, both local and state, bottle deposits on virtually everything, and the cost for trash disposal. He emails pictures of the latest snowfall. All of that said I don't think he would ever relocate. He and his family absolutely love Portland.
Complains taxes in Portland, ME?
Move to Chicago, Illinois...
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

mtmingus wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:08 am
JoeRetire wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:37 am
Tried Lone Pine and Urban Farm 3 weeks ago. :beer
Great selections but very crowed in Lone Pine.
Upstairs from Lone Pine is Goodfire, which I think is even better. Definitive and Bissell Brothers are solid too. As mentioned above, Allagash is a classic. Overall a great brewery town. Some tasty food there too. :beer
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

[/quote]

Upstairs from Lone Pine is Goodfire, which I think is even better. Definitive and Bissell Brothers are solid too. As mentioned above, Allagash is a classic. Overall a great brewery town. Some tasty food there too. :beer
[/quote]

Good to know!
Definitely will try Goodfire, Definitive , Bissell Brothers next time.
Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 »

OrderAndChaos wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:46 pm
So far behind on this topic I didn't realize.
When I moved to York , Me. in my 20's (40 years ago?!?) and even though my family had been visiting here for decades my co -workers and the fishermen at that restaurant used to tell me- "Just because a cat has kittens in the oven doesn't mean you call them biscuits!" . That is a real Mainer thought process. Though that has and will continue to change as have more immigrants and and implants. Sadly.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

Anywhere in New England, make sure you understand energy costs. Electricity is costly. Much of Northern New England has no natural gas. Elsewhere in New England, natural gas is the most expensive in the lower 48. The housing stock is old and not very energy efficient.
Topic Author
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Thanks Lemonaid56 and GeoffD.
That's going to be tough feeling foreign even after years of residency. I knew that when we lived in AZ for a few years even though I liked the Southwest. Always felt the boring Midwest is home.
ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName »

mtmingus wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:03 pm
[/quote]

Good to know!
Definitely will try Goodfire, Definitive , Bissell Brothers next time.
[/quote]

Be sure to sample the New England Hazy IPAs from all these breweries. Lots of action and excitement for that style nowadays and lots of great beers, of that kind, coming out of Portland ME now.
GeoffD

Post by GeoffD »

How do you envision spending your time? It’s hard to say much constructive without having some kind of profile. I can tell you about sailing on Casco Bay or Indian/Sushi in Portland or the beaches around Kennebunkport.
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

All breweries mentioned are great but check out Bunker Brewing near Bissell if lagers and pilsners are your thing. They do other styles well but they’re great at those. Also Slab for great Sicilian pizza and Maine Beer Company in Freeport for awesome beer and great pizza.