Want a 2 in 1 laptop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Incendiary

Want a 2 in 1 laptop

Post by Incendiary »

What do BHers recommend? I was looking at the MS Surface Book 2, MS Surface Pro 6, and Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 4. Would like to use this in my lap on the couch.
lazydavid

Re: Want a 2 in 1 laptop

Post by lazydavid »

I have two surface pro 4s and love them, but depending on what you mean by using in your lap on the couch it may not be a good fit. You cannot effectively use the physical keyboard with the device resting in your lap. But if you want to hold it or rest it on your leg sans keyboard, and do primarily touch-based activities (web browsing, etc), it's awesome.

Between your other two, it depends on what you want. The X1 Yoga is going to be better as a laptop, but the screen folds back rather than coming off, so as a tablet it's heavier and thicker. The Surface book's screen undocks so it can be used as a standalone tablet, but that means the screen is heavy and it can sometimes have a tendency to tip back when your hands aren't on the keyboard.
Nosferatu

Post by Nosferatu »

Dell XPS. 13 and 15 inch versions.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

lazydavid wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:21 am I have two surface pro 4s and love them, but depending on what you mean by using in your lap on the couch it may not be a good fit. You cannot effectively use the physical keyboard with the device resting in your lap. But if you want to hold it or rest it on your leg sans keyboard, and do primarily touch-based activities (web browsing, etc), it's awesome.

Between your other two, it depends on what you want. The X1 Yoga is going to be better as a laptop, but the screen folds back rather than coming off, so as a tablet it's heavier and thicker. The Surface book's screen undocks so it can be used as a standalone tablet, but that means the screen is heavy and it can sometimes have a tendency to tip back when your hands aren't on the keyboard.
My son has a very nice Yoga 2 in 1, but agree that it is stronger as a laptop than a tablet. We bought it to use as a smaller form laptop as he also has an iPad.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Bot kids got HP Spectre X360s 13" For college, they have worked very well.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
cashmoney

Post by cashmoney »

Incendiary wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:01 am What do BHers recommend? I was looking at the MS Surface Book 2, MS Surface Pro 6, and Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 4. Would like to use this in my lap on the couch.

I have X1 Yoga Gen 2 14" and I use it on my lap sometimes.Even though it is very light for a laptop and keyboard is off in this position it starts getting heavy and a little hot using it this way for any prolonged period.Sometimes use it in the tent position when lying in bed.Only downside to mine is because I choose the highest resolution screen the battery wont last all day.This may be different with the newer ones with the high resolution screens.Overall a great versatile machine ,awesome back lit keyboard and nearly indestructible.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I have a MS Surface Book 1. It's a wonderful laptop computer, since it's base is solid and the screen is clamped (unlike the Surface Pro series). Just push a button to unlock the screen portion.

The Book 2 is a beefier machine (newer CPU and better dedicated graphics card). There are rumors of a Book 3 that might be announced at the end of the year (or not).

-B
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
meebers

Post by meebers »

I have an ASUS 10" 2 in 1 that when used on the couch, my legs go up, and I use a couch pillow on lap to put my computer on. It is just used for surfing, email etc. It is small enough to just store on end table.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

iPad Pro.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Incendiary wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:01 am What do BHers recommend? I was looking at the MS Surface Book 2, MS Surface Pro 6, and Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 4. Would like to use this in my lap on the couch.
I have a surface book 2, very nice computer, however you might like the surface notebook better, the book has a heavier screen since it detaches.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Barsoom wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:48 pm I have a MS Surface Book 1. It's a wonderful laptop computer, since it's base is solid and the screen is clamped (unlike the Surface Pro series). Just push a button to unlock the screen portion.

The Book 2 is a beefier machine (newer CPU and better dedicated graphics card). There are rumors of a Book 3 that might be announced at the end of the year (or not).

-B
Yeah I have the book 2, one of the nicest laptops I've ever had. They're on sale now, so I'm sure the 3 is around the corner.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I would make sure there is a good return policy for whatever you purchase. I was never happy with either 2 in 1 on my lap on the couch. As a tablet, they were to heavy and awkward after using an iPad. As a touchscreen laptop, one was impossible to use on lap and the other had too much give in the hinges for my liking.
bluquark

Post by bluquark »

Keep your current laptop, buy the 320$ iPad and use that one on your couch. With tablets being so cheap lately and with cloud sync services allowing you to share data between devices, I don't see the reason for two-in-ones.
70/30 portfolio | Equity: global market weight | Bonds: 20% long-term munis - 10% LEMB
bgf

Post by bgf »

ive been in love with my pixelbook since i got a couple years ago.

https://store.google.com/us/product/goo ... lsrc=aw.ds
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

squirm wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:47 pm
Barsoom wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:48 pm I have a MS Surface Book 1. It's a wonderful laptop computer, since it's base is solid and the screen is clamped (unlike the Surface Pro series). Just push a button to unlock the screen portion.

-B
Yeah I have the book 2, one of the nicest laptops I've ever had. They're on sale now, so I'm sure the 3 is around the corner.
Not long after I bought the Book, MS came out with the Book 2 which had a beefier graphics card. I really wanted that but couldn't justify spending another $2,500 when the Book was otherwise just fine (even that graphics card was sufficient. but couldn't handle the newer VR).

So, I decided to forego the Book 2 and wait for the Book 3. I figured that by that time, the original Book would be old enough to upgrade. It's still a nice machine and I'm sure I could still find another use for it.

-B
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I love my Lenovo Yoga 900. Great all-around device. Fully-loaded yet extremely light. I use it as my main computer.

Also have the latest Asus 2-in-1 that I use for travel because I don't want to disconnect all of the devices that I've got hanging off my Yoga 900.

Have an HP Chromebook that I use a lot, too. Nice to have options.

I always thought the Surface line was way overpriced.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
squirm

Post by squirm »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:11 am I love my Lenovo Yoga 900. Great all-around device. Fully-loaded yet extremely light. I use it as my main computer.

Also have the latest Asus 2-in-1 that I use for travel because I don't want to disconnect all of the devices that I've got hanging off my Yoga 900.

Have an HP Chromebook that I use a lot, too. Nice to have options.

I always thought the Surface line was way overpriced.
I love the 3:2 screen on the Surface. I hope other makers start the switch to 3:2.
Topic Author
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

Thanks, all. Appreciate the advice.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Can’t wait for the day the iPad can replace a Mac or our MacBook Pro. Would like to hook up to monitor with keyboard and mouse and go to one device.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
02nz

Post by 02nz »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 pm Can’t wait for the day the iPad can replace a Mac or our MacBook Pro. Would like to hook up to monitor with keyboard and mouse and go to one device.
It’s getting closer. A keyboard is no problem, but Apple is hung up on mouse support. iOS 13 (now called iPadOS, I’m typing this on an iPad running the public beta) has mouse support as an accessibility feature, but it’s not usable in the same way that it is on Mac or PC. iPadOS 13 does make some pretty significant advances in multitasking and file management, though.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

02nz wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:18 pm Can’t wait for the day the iPad can replace a Mac or our MacBook Pro. Would like to hook up to monitor with keyboard and mouse and go to one device.
It’s getting closer. A keyboard is no problem, but Apple is hung up on mouse support. iOS 13 (now called iPadOS, I’m typing this on an iPad running the public beta) has mouse support as an accessibility feature, but it’s not usable in the same way that it is on Mac or PC. iPadOS 13 does make some pretty significant advances in multitasking and file management, though.
Read that Mac OS and iOS would converge within next year or two. Rumor mill of course.
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

I used to have an HP Spectre X2, but the battery died in only about a year... now I use a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 and love it.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 pm Read that Mac OS and iOS would converge within next year or two. Rumor mill of course.
That's been the rumor for the past 5 years. I no longer put any credence in it.
student

Post by student »

Prime day sale that may interest you. https://slickdeals.net/f/13219159-lenov ... =frontpage
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

lazydavid wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:48 am
abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:39 pm Read that Mac OS and iOS would converge within next year or two. Rumor mill of course.
That's been the rumor for the past 5 years. I no longer put any credence in it.
We could only hope!
PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE »

student wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:23 am Prime day sale that may interest you. https://slickdeals.net/f/13219159-lenov ... =frontpage
I picked up that exact deal yesterday. Also bought a 16 gb SODIMM RAM module, as recommended in the comments on Slickdeals.

:beer
-PoF
kacang

Post by kacang »

Timely question. I just bought a Samsung Note 9 Pro. It has very good reviews, DS has one and he appreciates its impressive battery life, display and speed. It's on sale at Best Buy currently, and I received an additional student discount as I'm enrolled in a class at the community college.

Link: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-no ... Id=6332955