Office 365 Home - Mobile Apps

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gufomel

Office 365 Home - Mobile Apps

Post by Gufomel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:47 pm

Even without an Office 365 account, I am able to use the iPhone Excel app to access/edit my spreadsheets saved in OneDrive.

I know that with an Office 365 subscription you get access to the Premium versions of the office apps (including PC) but are there actually any additional premium features for the mobile app vs what you can get for free? If so, what are the premium features on the mobile app that you like best? I’m referring primarily to Excel, but feel free to chime in regarding the other products if something particularly stands out.

bloom2708

Re: Office 365 Home - Mobile Apps

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am

An Office 365 subscription gets you 5 6 Microsoft accounts that can access Office 365.

5 separate emails/laptops/people. Kids? Parents? We use 5 of 6 currently. Share and the other user gets an email to install Office 365.

Each account gets 1 TB of OneDrive space. Install the OneDrive app on your Android or iPhone and automatically back up all photos to your OneDrive. Plus have access to all the files saved on your Windows PCs/Laptops.

You always have the latest version and updates.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:25 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:21 am
An Office 365 subscription gets you 5 Microsoft accounts that can access Office 365.

5 separate emails/laptops/people. Kids? Parents? We use all 5. Share and the other user gets an email to install Office 365.

Each account gets 1 TB of OneDrive space. Install the OneDrive app on your Android or iPhone and automatically back up all photos to your OneDrive. Plus have access to all the files saved on your Windows PCs/Laptops.

Thanks for the overview. What about the mobile apps specifically? Are there any major features you get that aren’t in the free version? For example in the free version of the Excel app on the iPhone, the interaction with pivot tables seems very limited (e.g. slicers don’t work). Are the features the same on the mobile app between the free version vs. an Office 365 subscription?

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:39 pm

Gufomel wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:25 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
An Office 365 subscription gets you 5 Microsoft accounts that can access Office 365.

5 separate emails/laptops/people. Kids? Parents? We use all 5. Share and the other user gets an email to install Office 365.

Thanks for the overview. What about the mobile apps specifically? Are there any major features you get that aren’t in the free version? For example in the free version of the Excel app on the iPhone, the interaction with pivot tables seems very limited (e.g. slicers don’t work). Are the features the same on the mobile app between the free version vs. an Office 365 subscription?
According to the NY Times, "Once you convert to a paid plan, you can do things like track and review changes made to documents, insert page and section breaks, use more colors, make maps out of Excel data, and take advantage of all the tools included in the Office Mobile suite." Somewhere online there's probably a more detailed description of the free version's limitations. My own experience with 365 Home is that I've been able to do everything on the paid mobile version I've ever needed to do; the small screen (and sometimes touch interface) is the bigger limitation.

Note also that Office 365 Home now allows 6 users, up from the previous 5. Look out for frequent discounts on subscriptions on Amazon (can use your Prime slow shipping credits toward the downloadable version), or at Costco, which sells a 15-month subscription. A few years ago I bought several 365 Home subscriptions, entered the codes, covering my use until 2021.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

student

Post by student » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:41 pm

Gufomel wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:25 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

The free versions do have some limitations. This article talks about this briefly. https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosap ... e-3452845/ Do you intend to do a lot of editing on your phone?