Automatic Watches

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ClevrChico

Re: Automatic Watches

Post by ClevrChico » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:37 pm

I love the way automatic watches look, but I need accuracy. I chose a $10 Casio instead.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:59 pm

I have a TAG Heuer Aqua Racer. It’s built like a tank. Truly the toughest watch I’ve ever owned.

That said I received and Apple Watch from DW when I retired. It’s now all I wear...

dbforbes

Post by dbforbes » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Having managed to break myself off of a mechanical watch obsession, I feel sort of like an alcoholic must feel walking into a bar after years if sobriety. Hand shaking . . . . .

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:46 pm

I wear and love a Seiko SKX007. You can get it for around $200 and it’s an excellent watch. I also owned a Omega Seamaster I got for my 30ies birthday. Sold it 1 year after to my best friend because I don’t like running around with 6k on my arm and ding that thing up and worry about people robbing me.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:05 pm

Those of you not interested in making a statement, but at the same time celebrating their Star Wars themed electronic watch for being off one second per month: Your cellphone always shows the exact time, therefore you don't need a watch. And you are indeed making a statement, although you might be unaware of it.

For the rest of us who can appreciate a mechanical watch requiring excellent craftsmanship and materials: I believe rolexes are guaranteed around the ±2/3 seconds per day. They can perform better than that when fully maintained. With age they can be off as many as 10 s/day. I find sufficient to set mine once a week. Thank goodness they both are fast (no risk of missing trains, au contraire !) and it is not the close to ~$1,000 necessary for a complete restoration, but the many months required for it that put me off.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm

I have two automatic watches, a Seiko SKX and an Orient Cosmos.

Both have been sitting in a drawer ever since I switched to a Fitbit.

Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:31 pm

Thesaints wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:05 pm
Those of you not interested in making a statement, but at the same time celebrating their Star Wars themed electronic watch for being off one second per month: Your cellphone always shows the exact time, therefore you don't need a watch. And you are indeed making a statement, although you might be unaware of it.
Yes, but not necessarily a fashion statement.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 pm

I can't speak to the accuracy of exquisitely fine watches in, say, the 1950s. But, before the Bulova Accutron, it was just taken for granted that a good watch might gain or lose half a minute a day or so. That's the reason why there were so many public clocks everywhere. People expected to set their watches every couple of days, and were always looking for a convenient source of accurate time to set them by.

Most phone companies offered a telephone time service. In the New York area it was ME-7-1212. ME stood for "meridian." The system apparently only paid attention to the ME-7 part, because kids would dare each other to dial "MERMAID" and see what would happen. The voice on the phone would say "At the tone, the time, will be... nine.... twentyfive.... [unnaturally long pause] andtenseconds. [EEEEP]. At the tone, the time, will be... nine... thirty... [unnaturally long pause] andtwentyseconds. [EEEEP]."

So, that's just the way it was with watches. Whether or not you needed to wind them, you still needed to set them.

Darned alarm clocks (like the Westclox Big Ben) could gain or lose several minutes a day. They actually had a user-accessible fast-slow adjustment on them, but you could never get them right. In a way it's odd that alarm clocks, seemingly important, always were cheap, cheesy, and inaccurate. There must have been thousand-dollar alarm clocks with twenty-one-jeweled movements, but I never heard of anybody having one.

The Accutron was often described as having "minute a month" accuracy, which seemed really amazing--imagine only having to set your watch once a month--but, still, you needed to set it.

The thing that has always driven me bananas is the difficulty of getting the minute hand properly lined up so that when the second hand is at twelve, the minute hand is pointing exactly at the tick mark for the minute.

I don't know how many people will remember a rather good movie, David and Lisa. David was played by Keir Dullea who went on to fame as the wooden-acting astronaut in 2001. It was a story of friendship and platonic love between two people in a psychiatric hospital. David seems to be obsessive-compulsive and can't stand to be touched, Lisa is schizophrenic and insists that people speak to her in rhyme. Anyway. David is obsessed with time. He tells the psychiatrist that he would like to invent a system so that a radio transmitter could transmit time to everybody's watches so they would always know the correct time. The psychiatrist considers this a symptom of David's neurosis and tells him that nobody really would want a system like that.

So, me, being in my late teens at the time, figured I must be nuts, too, because I thought it would be very cool to have a watch like that.

The immediate popularity of Accutrons, quartz crystal watches, and--at least for a while briefly--"atomic" clocks and watches that do just what David wanted, synchronize to WWVB, heartened me by showing that, no, it was not just David and me, lots of people wanted accurate watches, even if they didn't need them.
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:47 am

AAA wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm
meowcat wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm
Then an automatic watch is not for you. I dealt with Quartz for many, many years. I got tired of replacing the battery every couple of years. (yes, it gets tiring).
And people are questioning my reluctance to adjust a watch once a week! :wink: But I know what you mean.
meowcat wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm
But, I didn't like the accuracy of a mechanical watch. Enter Citizen Eco-Drive. I have a limited edition Promaster Titanium. It has a sapphire crystal and this thing is pretty bulletproof, and accurate. I beat up watches pretty badly and this thing just keeps on ticking. The best part; no need to ever replace a battery.
I think my next watch will be an Eco-Drive. Won't the rechargeable battery eventually need to be replaced if the watch is kept long enough? Is that like replacing any other quartz watch battery or is some special procedure required?
I believe the watch would have to go back to Citizen for replacement. I believe they would replace the battery and solar cell at the same time. It's probably something that Fast-Fix couldn't do. Laboratory tests showed that after 20 years the secondary battery retains a power storage capacity of 80% of its initial capacity.
More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went. | -Roger Babson

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:22 am

B&O Magazine, August, 1929, p. 33:
How Accurate Should Your Watch Be?
By Carl Mccandless, Head Watchmaker,, Youngstown, Ohio (Pugh Bros. Jewelry Co., Official Watch Inspectors, Baltimore and Ohio Railroad)

.... a man's pocket watch is ordinarily held for long periods at a time in one position in the pocket, on the desk or dressing table. It is not submitted to the continued and incessant change of position of a wrist watch, which, on the arm, is subjected to every movement of the hand.

Therefore, pocket watch accuracy should not be expected or demanded of a wrist watch. Consider that one minute's variation a day means only one beat's variation out of 1,440. At this rate, therefore, the following table may be accepted as accurately defining the timekeeping rating of a wrist or strap watch:

One-half minute a day is very good time.

One minute a day is good time.

Two minutes a day is standard government time required of a large strap watch.

The pocket watch and the strap or wrist watch have two different advantages: The pocket watch for accuracy. The wrist watch for convenience.
So there you have it. Two minutes a day is literally "close enough for government work."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:33 am

meowcat wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:47 am
AAA wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm
...I think my next watch will be an Eco-Drive. Won't the rechargeable battery eventually need to be replaced if the watch is kept long enough? Is that like replacing any other quartz watch battery or is some special procedure required?
I believe the watch would have to go back to Citizen for replacement. I believe they would replace the battery and solar cell at the same time. It's probably something that Fast-Fix couldn't do. Laboratory tests showed that after 20 years the secondary battery retains a power storage capacity of 80% of its initial capacity.
My wife had an Eco-Drive. Cost in the mid three figures if I recall correctly. Laboratory tests or no, the battery failed after something like five years. Of course it was a slow, gradual thing, and for quite some time she was in the miserable state of having a watch that sort of worked a lot of the time, and then she'd look at her wrist and say "darn, out of charge, again." For a while she was a little obsessive about taking it off her wrist and leaving it under table lamps or in patches of sunlight. Her watch, her life: I didn't micromanage what she was doing. She concluded that a) it was out of warranty, and b) replacing the rechargeable battery was going take weeks and cost in the low three digits. The jeweler she bought it at said they'd have to "send it back to Citizen."

For her, the appeal was the "eco" idea--no batteries worry about recycling ever. She decided that replacing a rechargeable battery every five years wasn't any greener than replacing a $5 button cell every five years, bought a decent cheap watch, and was happy.

I can't bridge the gap between our real-world experience and claims of 80% capacity after 20 years. I notice that they don't guarantee it for 20 years, though.

Also, with anything with rechargeable batteries, it's a devil of a problem getting replacement under warranty when the battery is obviously failing but hasn't yet failed completely.

P.S. I see that nowadays third-party Amazon sellers offer what they say are genuine Citizen Eco-drive batteries for twenty bucks. Right. I once replaced the battery in an iPod Mini with a third-party battery replacement kit--came with a tool to open the case and everything. I succeeded. It took about an hour, tweezers, high-intensity lamp, magnifying glass. I had to do it twice because the first time I didn't have something just exactly right and the works slid halfway into the case and then jammed. 1) I succeeded and got a couple of years more out of it. 2) Never again.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 am

azanon wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 pm
AAA wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 pm
azanon wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm
It doesn't really matter how accurate it is right? This is the only home-run jewelry piece that men can wear. So it's jewelry and everything else about the watch is ancillary.

If you need the time, pull out your iphone that you know is in your pocket.
I wasn't really after jewelry. As I like having the correct time, I'm thinking that the need to adjust the watch, whether weekly or bi-weekly, is taking away some of the charm of a fully mechanical movement. And having to use my phone to correct the watch time is in a sense negating the reason for having the mechanical watch in the first place. Oh well, I learned some things about watches. Thanks all for the information.
In a sense, maybe that was a poor attempt at humor by me. Stating more seriously, I was just giving an opinion that if someone is buying a mechanical watch today, it’s presumably going to be a nice timepiece and so my view is that a nice timepiece more than anything makes a nice accessory to an overall look. So to me, if I bought something like that, it’d be primarily for that but I always have my iPhone on me for the time.

So sorry if I came off brash.
Funny you should say that. I have ~20 watches and don't like using the watch winders, so I just leave the watches at inaccurate times and use my phone for time keeping...

I also don't service my watches. There's debate in the watch community about the value of both winders and routine servicing. I took the side of the cheapskates... :wink:

fulltilt

Post by fulltilt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:09 am

sjt wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:35 am
I bought a Seiko SNK805 several years back because I like the size, and spartan design. It's a self winding based on motion of my arm. I only wear it during the work week and it doesn't have enough juice to make it through the weekend. I'll take it off at 5 or 6 pm Friday, and Monday morning it will be stopped - usually sometime on Sunday morning / afternoon. Each Monday morning I'll pull the little knob out and spin the hands around until it matches the microwave time and I'm good for the week - takes about 15 seconds.

Regarding accuracy, I can't say I've ever noticed a problem - of course I'm not on a schedule where I need to catch a train - if I need to be somewhere I'll usually plan to be there 10-15 minutes ahead of time anyway (20-30 minutes if wife and kids are coming)
I have a similar Seiko (the blue one) and this mirrors my experience exactly.

It is a great entry level watch which i would recommend without reservation. My only minor complaint is that i wish it had a rotating bezel, but for the price point, it is great.

dhuser

Post by dhuser » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:39 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:41 am
open_circuit wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 am
AAA wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 am
open_circuit wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:19 am
Another vote for a Seiko 5 if you want an inexpensive automatic with a good movement to get started. I have had one for many years and quite like it.
How often do you adjust the time?
Every few (3-4) days. It also tends to run down if I don't wear it for a few days (such as on weekends). It seems to lose time worse when the spring (reserve power) is nearly fully unwound, and does better as I wear it more. I also like watching the movement sometimes, and mine has a display back with a clear case, so you can observe the movement. A $10 digital quartz would be more practical and accurate, but this watch is a lot more interesting to me and still inexpensive (~$70).
You can get a watch-winder if you want to keep it going when you don't wear it for a few days. The watch winder also serves as a nice display case. Lots of options on Amazon starting at $35.
I have a Seiko 5 as well and wear my Casio on the weekends for the most part. It started to irritate me that I’d have to reset it every Monday morning and update the day, date, and time. So I started just giving it a shake for a little bit when I walk past it to wind it up on the weekends when I’m not wearing it, and it’s been going for a couple months now continuously. Mine’s still within a minute of my phone, which is more than accurate enough for what I do.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 am

I love my mechanicals, but I wear my Casio 90% of the time. I, too, like to know the correct time and do not have my phone on me 24/7. And mechanicals can be a disease. I went through a phase a while ago and bought a lot of them. My collection now is much smaller.

Current:

My diseased years:

Don't do something, just stand there!

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Isn't that Casio W-217H the "terrorist watch?"

NewbieBogle007

Post by NewbieBogle007 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:26 pm

I tried going automatic (bought an Orient diver), but I could not deal with the inaccuracy and having to re-set it if unworn for a few days. I returned it and bought my 3rd Citizen Eco-drive solar watch. My oldest one is from 2004 and it still works great. I adore all 3 of them.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:32 pm

ncbill wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:08 pm
Casio F91 was the watch worn by Bin Laden

corn18

Post by corn18 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm

robertmcd wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:32 pm
ncbill wrote:
I had an F-91 for a while but it was too small. The W-217H is a larger version of the F-91 and my weekend watch.

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm

corn18 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm
robertmcd wrote:
ncbill wrote:
I had an F-91 for a while but it was too small. The W-217H is a larger version of the F-91 and my weekend watch.
You have a lot of great watches, but you need to up your seiko game :sharebeer

corn18

Post by corn18 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:17 pm

robertmcd wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm
corn18 wrote:
robertmcd wrote:
ncbill wrote:
I have looked at them. Citizen and Seiko are the best value out there for mechanicals. Just haven't fallen in love with any of them. I'm waiting for Timex Q re-issue to come back in stock. Timex is really rockin' the mechanical watches these days.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Darn you...now I went and looked at all those old Casios and am lusting after a calculator watch.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Tagged for later reading

Rwsawbones

Post by Rwsawbones » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Clearly quartz watches and cell phones give better time than mechanical watches. Quartz was what I wore until my 25 th anniversary in 2003. DW had saved $25 a week for 25 years and bought me a gold Rolex (they cost much less 16 years ago than now). Clearly I did not have 25 years to save up for her’s. We both love our watches. Interesting question for two 78 year olds who have 2 children plus spouses and 7 grandchildren is who will wear them after us. None of them wear watches of any sort

corn18

Post by corn18 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Rwsawbones wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:32 pm
Clearly quartz watches and cell phones give better time than mechanical watches. Quartz was what I wore until my 25 th anniversary in 2003. DW had saved $25 a week for 25 years and bought me a gold Rolex (they cost much less 16 years ago than now). Clearly I did not have 25 years to save up for her’s. We both love our watches. Interesting question for two 78 year olds who have 2 children plus spouses and 7 grandchildren is who will wear them after us. None of them wear watches of any sort
The market for vintage Rolexes is out of control right now. Same for certain Omegas (Speedmasters). A basic no date sub from 50 years ago in decent shape might go for $20k. If it's a GMT, the sky is the limit. Vintage Omegas from the 50's are going for $100k+.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Rwsawbones wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:32 pm
That is a very sweet story!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:04 pm

corn18 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:17 pm
robertmcd wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 pm
corn18 wrote:
robertmcd wrote:
ncbill wrote:
I have looked at them. Citizen and Seiko are the best value out there for mechanicals. Just haven't fallen in love with any of them. I'm waiting for Timex Q re-issue to come back in stock. Timex is really rockin' the mechanical watches these days.
Your watch thread was a fascinating read.

Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:45 pm

My daily driver is a ~$350 Hamilton automatic that runs a varying +/- 5s per day which is pretty good for the price. I just have a recurring phone reminder for every few days to set it to my phone's time as by that time it's off by 10-20 seconds. Which is no big deal, I just like fiddling with it so I like to have it set right on the money.

I also have a Citizen eco drive that I never reset the time. I'm sure it's close enough bc it's quartz. And I can wear it every two weeks and not have to worry about it dying since the solar charge lasts for a long time.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:57 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Timex-TW5M10400- ... 44&sr=1-27

$35 delivered - waterproof and dead on accurate. Replace $3 battery once a year takes about 5 minutes. Makes an entirely different kind of statement (for anyone that notices/actually cares). Done. Be the organ grinder instead of the monkey.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Just got this one today for $22. Way cool retro vibe.

c.coyle

Post by c.coyle » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:12 pm

AAA wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:06 pm
I started looking into modestly priced (< $200) automatic (mechanical, self-winding) watches, just as a refuge from the digital, battery-powered world we live in. I was surprised, however, to read about their accuracy, that even a watch costing much more than I would consider spending could be off by several seconds a day. That may not sound like much, but even it loses/gains ~8 seconds a day it means the watch loses/gains about a minute each week, which would seem to require frequent adjustment. Those of you who have such watches: Is that a reasonable understanding of the situation with these watches and how often do you adjust your watch?
Yes. The cheapest quartz watch will keep time more accurately than a $100,000 Patek Philippe.

If you want a reasonably priced mechanical watch, Seiko and Orient are good quality.

If you want precise timekeeping without battery dependence, look at Citizen Eco Drive, quartz movements powered by light.

Expensive mechanical watches (I own 3 Omegas) are jewelry. I adjust them whenever I notice they are off. I don't need precision timekeeping, so it's every now and then.
VTSAX - 40%, VTIAX - 10%, VBTLX - 50%

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:11 pm

If super accuracy is important to you, mechanical watches are not going to be what you want. Even my Rolex submariner purchased this year loses about a minute every month or so. I believe their tolerance is +/- 2 seconds per day.

If you can get over this, I think the best value mechanical under $500 is a Seiko SK007. If you don't mind spending a bit more, check out the Seiko Prospex Blue Lagoon (nickname Samurai), I think it's the best mechanical under 1 K.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:37 pm

mechanical watches are more art than accurate timepieces.
Look at the line of Langes, pateks, etc.
Some watches are just in demand stylistically - right now rolex steel models, patek steel models.
Like most expensive things, there are always arguments not to get one (similar to toyota vs porsche arguments also). They are a luxury. Maybe they wont exist in 50 years, maybe they will.

Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:04 pm

After further consideration, I decided to get a Seiko 5 automatic. If my current quartz ever stops working, it will probably be replaced with an Eco-Drive.

I appreciate all the input.

funktor

Post by funktor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:23 pm

AAA wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:04 pm
After further consideration, I decided to get a Seiko 5 automatic. If my current quartz ever stops working, it will probably be replaced with an Eco-Drive.
Nice choice! I rotate between a Seiko 5 automatic and an Eco-Drive. I enjoy both.
It's easy to believe in something when you win all the time. The losses are what define a man's faith

rj342

Post by rj342 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:42 pm

corn18 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 am
I love my mechanicals, but I wear my Casio 90% of the time. I, too, like to know the correct time and do not have my phone on me 24/7. And mechanicals can be a disease. I went through a phase a while ago and bought a lot of them. My collection now is much smaller.

Current:
photo omitted

My diseased years:
photo omitted
I'm not sure what tickles me more, that you went that watch crazy... or that you kept that precise an inventory all these years :beer

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:49 pm

AAA wrote:
After further consideration, I decided to get a Seiko 5 automatic
Hope you enjoy it. This thread has caused me to wear my Seiko 5 again after a short break trying an inexpensive smartwatch. :sharebeer

rj342

Post by rj342 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:06 pm

AAA wrote:

I appreciate all the input.
Big fan of the EcoDrive. Rolex, Omega etc way above my paygrade

I had a Bulova automatic given to me from one grandfathers things after he passed over 30 years ago. It failed at one point, but not worth fixing -- I enjoyed it but it wasn't particularly elegant nor did it have that much sentimental value.

I have an Omega Seamaster Deville plain dress watch that probably dates back to the 60s, given to me by grandmother who was in jewelry business a long time. Hands have dulled (the luminescent paint) and crystal has a crack near bezel so hardly wear it, but it still works. Nice but too costly for my taste to have tuned up. SImilar to this one...

Current watch watch for daily wear is a titanium Citizen EcoDrive I have had about 15 years. The power cell is the original. My first 'adult' watch purchase nicer than a Casio or Timex. Nice compromise between sporty and dressy.

Just ordered a more casual looking one on Prime Day for $56 on sale
Figure it would nice to be able to change out the strap. The nylon one piece straps that slide behind the watch make it easy.

I have thought about the sub $100 Seiko automatics for a change of pace, so I may follow you there.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:02 pm

I'm not even a watch guy, but this thread got me interested.

I ended up ordering a Casio ProTrek PRG600-1 for $200

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:41 pm

TxAg wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:25 pm
Tagged for later reading
Instead of bumping the thread, try bookmarking it.

The bottom of every page has a "wrench" icon. Click on the icon to expand a drop-down list and select "Bookmark this topic". Then, go to your User Control Panel --> Overview --> Manage bookmarks.

You'll be able to view your bookmarked threads from there.

(Or, just add a bookmark in your browser.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
AAA

Re: Automatic Watches - Update

Post by AAA » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:20 pm

In case anyone is still following this thread, I just wanted to update my experience with the Seiko 5 as the reason for starting this thread was concern about its accuracy.

Upon receiving the watch one week ago, I set the hour and minute hands by the display on my phone as the second hand does not stop when the crown is pulled out to set the time (yes, there may be ways around this but I didn't bother). I noticed that the second hand happened to be 22 seconds past the hour. Now one week later the hour and minute hands are still correct and the second hand is 11 seconds past the hour. So in one week it only lost about 10 seconds. Most of that seemed to happen right away, and checking daily the amount by which it was behind varied by a few seconds either way, maybe due to how the spring was wound at the time.

Based on my reading it appears that this kind of consistency is unusual. Maybe it's due to the way I am wearing the watch, the luck of the draw, the phase of the moon etc. but I've been pleasantly surprised.

cheezit

Post by cheezit » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:08 pm

Glad to hear your Seiko 5 is treating you well so far.

A typical automatic movement like the 7S26 in your Seiko will gain or lose different amounts of time overnight depending on the position you leave it in (face up, crown up, crown down, etc). If you're lucky, you will have at least one position where it gains time overnight and at least one position where it loses time, allowing you to keep it pretty close to bang-on with close to no effort. Google "nightstand regulation" for a more thorough description.

Also nb. that automatics will get faster or slower with time (usually slower, as lubrication moves around the mechanism and gunk accumulates); my Seiko 5 (and SNK803) ran about +12s/day out of the box and runs about -20s/day seven years later. There is a regulation screw that you can adjust yourself if you're willing to put in the effort and take the risk. For inexpensive automatics like this, it generally doesn't make economic sense to take it to a shop to get cleaned/lubed/regulated because the cost of the service is substantially greater than the cost of the watch. Depending on exactly how your watch runs, you may be able to largely counteract this with nightstand regulation.

bottlecap

Re: Automatic Watches - Update

Post by bottlecap » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:56 pm

AAA wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:20 pm
In case anyone is still following this thread, I just wanted to update my experience with the Seiko 5 as the reason for starting this thread was concern about its accuracy.
Thanks for updating. Automatic watches are a slight amount of work, but they are a bit of fun, too. Seiko 5 is a solid product.

JT