Automatic Watches

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AAA

Automatic Watches

Post by AAA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:06 pm

I started looking into modestly priced (< $200) automatic (mechanical, self-winding) watches, just as a refuge from the digital, battery-powered world we live in. I was surprised, however, to read about their accuracy, that even a watch costing much more than I would consider spending could be off by several seconds a day. That may not sound like much, but even it loses/gains ~8 seconds a day it means the watch loses/gains about a minute each week, which would seem to require frequent adjustment. Those of you who have such watches: Is that a reasonable understanding of the situation with these watches and how often do you adjust your watch?

barnaclebob

Re: Automatic Watches

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Half the fun of having a mechanical watch is looking at it and playing with it. The amount of drift probably heavily depends on brand and your activity level. It shouldn't be too hard to resync it to your computer or phone clock every week or so.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:20 pm

If you want to go down the mechanical watch rabbit hole check out watchuseek. There is a subforum for affordable watches. You are correct on accuracy. A $9 casio is probably more accurate than a Rolex.

Coburn

Post by Coburn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:26 pm

Yes, the best accuracy you could expect of an automatic watch would be 0 to +-1 second per day. If you want or need better, stick to quartz or equivalent.

Watches are a rabbit-hole you don't want to go into if you value your finances. :twisted:

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:27 pm

If you don't wear the watch every day (like if you have more than one), you're going to be resetting it every time you put it on anyway, unless you also invest in an automatic watch winder. I have a Tag Heuer Connected smartwatch that I also have the mechanical module for. So I wear the smartwatch during the work week when having notifications and stuff on my wrist is useful, then switch to the mechanical for the weekend when I expressly don't want notifications. By Tuesday the mechanical watch has run out of reserve and stopped, so every Thursday or Friday I have to set it again and I'm good for the weekend. Takes less than a minute, and doesn't bother me at all.

samuck

Post by samuck » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:28 pm

I used to adjust mine every second day.. Take a look at Swatch Sistem51. Cheap automatic and very accurate.

TSR

Post by TSR » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:34 pm

I purchased a very nice automatic watch (bought it used -- a "cheap" luxury). It's an Omega made in this decade. I basically never adjust it. It's certified to within a few seconds per day, but it seems to be much more accurate than that. In all seriousness, the clock on my work computer is less accurate than my wristwatch, as measured by the clock on my cellphone (this is likely due to network reasons, but that's just my point). I wear the watch every day and basically never think about it. I agree that a battery powered quartz watch is likely much more accurate, but I'm always shocked by just how dead-on my watch is.

Please don't take this as any argument that one OUGHT to own a fancy watch. That's a whole different can of worms that none of us wants to open. But you might want to spend a bit more on a quality movement that is known for accuracy. Watch forums would be better for that, of course.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:41 pm

The old Bulova Accutrons with tuning forks rather than balance wheels were very accurate, I know because I owned one back in the day. It may still be in my nightstand drawer but I haven't worn it or any other watch since the day I retired over 15 years ago.

According to the following article an even more accurate and modern version is now marketed under the Bulova Precisionist name.

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/t ... 1412210005

Wikipedia says that these watches are accurate to +/-10 seconds per year.

Here's a great article that goes in depth on the Precisionist and it's innovative technology.

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/g ... ionist.htm
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Unless you wear it every day, you will be resetting it a lot anyway. My Seiko 5 doesn't lose very much time, but it's rarely running for two days straight.

Don't be surprised by accuracy that is less than a quartz watch. It's akin to saying you want to buy a car with a carburetor to get away from the fuel-injected world we live in and then being surprised about getting less fuel economy. It's part and parcel.

In any event, a minute a week isn't a big deal if you are really into automatic watches.

Good luck,

JT

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm

It takes merely 2 seconds to pull the stem and adjust a watch back or forward by a couple of minutes every couple of weeks. Not really a big deal.
If this is a big deal for you perhaps consider solar.
Have you looked at Solar powered watches? No need to change a battery or worry about drift. Citizens has some nice solar options (Eco-Drive lines) with Saphire Crystals which can be found for under $300 (I would never buy a watch without a Saphire Crytal - all my cheaper quartz crytal watches have been easily scratched).
Example:
https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/prod ... 1-51L.html?

If you don't want to set a watch - you can look into options that sync to the terrestrial transmission stations. I know Casio has some Solar powered watches with time-sync - I'm sure there must be others.
Last edited by DaftInvestor on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm

It doesn't really matter how accurate it is right? This is the only home-run jewelry piece that men can wear. So it's jewelry and everything else about the watch is ancillary.

If you need the time, pull out your iphone that you know is in your pocket.

calculon11

Post by calculon11 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:03 pm

My Seiko loses 4 min per month. At the begining of the month, when I set the date, I set the watch to be 2 minutes fast. By the end of the month it is two minutes slow.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm

I bought my wife a Seiko solar watch about 4 years ago. It is pretty fancy but was not too expensive. It has not been adjusted or changed in all that time and still shows the correct time. I know she will eventually need to change a battery but they say it will last 10-20 years.

So some of them are correct.

Good Luck.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:20 pm

The most prolific automatic watches below $200 are those made with Seiko 5 movements. This is a reliable, robust movement that is admired even among purveyors of high end watches. These watches have strong followings and some people religiously collect different versions of each model.

Second is anything made by Orient, which is actually a pretty large Japanese watch company but is just dwarfed by Seiko and Citizen. They are known for making high quality watches at bargain - seemingly implausible - prices.

A quartz watch will obviously be functionally superior to any of these. However, mechanical watches are interesting, and for $200, you won't really lose a lot of money by collecting them.

If you want something more exotic, consider a Vostok, and in particular the Vostok Amphibia. This is a Russian watch that has a cult following for its functional, industrial design.

Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 pm

azanon wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm
It doesn't really matter how accurate it is right? This is the only home-run jewelry piece that men can wear. So it's jewelry and everything else about the watch is ancillary.

I wasn't really after jewelry. As I like having the correct time, I'm thinking that the need to adjust the watch, whether weekly or bi-weekly, is taking away some of the charm of a fully mechanical movement. And having to use my phone to correct the watch time is in a sense negating the reason for having the mechanical watch in the first place. Oh well, I learned some things about watches. Thanks all for the information.

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:27 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
It takes merely 2 seconds to pull the stem and adjust a watch back or forward by a couple of minutes every couple of weeks. Not really a big deal.
If this is a big deal for you perhaps consider solar.
Have you looked at Solar powered watches? No need to change a battery or worry about drift. Citizens has some nice solar options (Eco-Drive lines) with Saphire Crystals which can be found for under $300 (I would never buy a watch without a Saphire Crytal - all my cheaper quartz crytal watches have been easily scratched).
Example:
https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/prod ... 1-51L.html?

If you don't want to set a watch - you can look into options that sync to the terrestrial transmission stations. I know Casio has some Solar powered watches with time-sync - I'm sure there must be others.
I’ll second the Citizen eco-drives. Love mine. Bought when they first came out.
“A man with one clock knows what time it is.......a man with more than one is never quite sure.”
Oldlongbeard

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Mechanical automatic watches will be off by as much as a second a day and that is when they are new, or right after being freshly adjusted, cleaned and oiled. Anytime after that the watch is even less precise. This periodic maintenance is an expensive and time consuming procedure usually required every 4-5 years.

The fresh oil in the watch dries out and turns to varnish. Continuing to run a mechanical watch that has not been regularly cleaned and oiled will wear it out and make it even less precise very fast.
Last edited by jabberwockOG on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 pm

What exactly do you do that requires accuracy to within 1 minute per week?

And this is coming from a person who buys a $15 watch at Walmart every 6-7 years.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 pm

AAA wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 pm
azanon wrote:

I wasn't really after jewelry. As I like having the correct time, I'm thinking that the need to adjust the watch, whether weekly or bi-weekly, is taking away some of the charm of a fully mechanical movement. And having to use my phone to correct the watch time is in a sense negating the reason for having the mechanical watch in the first place. Oh well, I learned some things about watches. Thanks all for the information.
In a sense, maybe that was a poor attempt at humor by me. Stating more seriously, I was just giving an opinion that if someone is buying a mechanical watch today, it’s presumably going to be a nice timepiece and so my view is that a nice timepiece more than anything makes a nice accessory to an overall look. So to me, if I bought something like that, it’d be primarily for that but I always have my iPhone on me for the time.

So sorry if I came off brash.

Bud

Post by Bud » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 pm

I received a Citizen Ecodrive Atomic Watch as a gift. Found out it was bought on sale for $220. Once it is set, it will always keep the correct time. It stopped once because it was in a dark drawer out of sunlight but I put it in the sun for about 3 hours and it reset itself to the correct time.

It uses radio frequency to self adjust - highly recommended.

sambb

Post by sambb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Lange and sohne are nice, but pricey

Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 pm

My Omega Seamaster automatic loses about 1-2 MINUTES per day. I sent it in to the factory for a tune up/cleaning a few years ago at a cost of $700. It kept better time for a year or two. I now reset it every few days rather than spend the cost of a very nice new watch every few years for a tune up/cleaning.

Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 am

azanon wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 pm
So sorry if I came off brash.
Thanks but not necessary as I didn't take it as brash.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:19 am

Another vote for a Seiko 5 if you want an inexpensive automatic with a good movement to get started. I have had one for many years and quite like it.

Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am

bhsince87 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 pm
Should I forget to adjust the watch periodically, I could find myself rushing to the station to catch the 10:05 train only to find out that it left 2-3 minutes ago. I'm not interested in the watch as jewelry or to make a statement, just to tell time. And if it requires weekly adjustment it's just not appealing to me. However, I can see where others might be interested in such devices just from the point of view of admiring their complexity.

Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 am

open_circuit wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:19 am
Another vote for a Seiko 5 if you want an inexpensive automatic with a good movement to get started. I have had one for many years and quite like it.
How often do you adjust the time?

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 am

AAA wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 am
open_circuit wrote:
Every few (3-4) days. It also tends to run down if I don't wear it for a few days (such as on weekends). It seems to lose time worse when the spring (reserve power) is nearly fully unwound, and does better as I wear it more. I also like watching the movement sometimes, and mine has a display back with a clear case, so you can observe the movement. A $10 digital quartz would be more practical and accurate, but this watch is a lot more interesting to me and still inexpensive (~$70).

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am

I also have the Citizen Ecodrive with atomic clock sync. Every night it will receive the radio signal from the atomic clock in Colorado and adjust itself if necessary. It is always dead on to the second with my cell phone. It is nice for travel as it has 30 or so time zones that can be selected by pointing the second hand to the city (NYC, London, Paris, etc.). That did mess me up one time as it picked up the UK atomic clock while I was in Ireland and moved my manually adjusted time by an hour - think it had to do with the US changing the start/end dates of daylight savings time several years ago. The other advantage is that it automatically adjusts the calendar for 28-30 day months.

sjt

Post by sjt » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:35 am

I bought a Seiko SNK805 several years back because I like the size, and spartan design. It's a self winding based on motion of my arm. I only wear it during the work week and it doesn't have enough juice to make it through the weekend. I'll take it off at 5 or 6 pm Friday, and Monday morning it will be stopped - usually sometime on Sunday morning / afternoon. Each Monday morning I'll pull the little knob out and spin the hands around until it matches the microwave time and I'm good for the week - takes about 15 seconds.

Regarding accuracy, I can't say I've ever noticed a problem - of course I'm not on a schedule where I need to catch a train - if I need to be somewhere I'll usually plan to be there 10-15 minutes ahead of time anyway (20-30 minutes if wife and kids are coming)
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:41 am

open_circuit wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 am
AAA wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 am
open_circuit wrote:
Every few (3-4) days. It also tends to run down if I don't wear it for a few days (such as on weekends). It seems to lose time worse when the spring (reserve power) is nearly fully unwound, and does better as I wear it more. I also like watching the movement sometimes, and mine has a display back with a clear case, so you can observe the movement. A $10 digital quartz would be more practical and accurate, but this watch is a lot more interesting to me and still inexpensive (~$70).
You can get a watch-winder if you want to keep it going when you don't wear it for a few days. The watch winder also serves as a nice display case. Lots of options on Amazon starting at $35.

Coburn

Post by Coburn » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 am

AAA wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am
bhsince87 wrote:
Should I forget to adjust the watch periodically, I could find myself rushing to the station to catch the 10:05 train only to find out that it left 2-3 minutes ago. I'm not interested in the watch as jewelry or to make a statement, just to tell time. And if it requires weekly adjustment it's just not appealing to me.
Then you should probably skip the automatic/manual wind (mechanical) watches and stick to quartz/solar.

The Citizen Eco-drives are about as fuss-free a watch as you can find (Seiko and other brands have similar.)

Accuracy for an entire year should be within +- 6-10 seconds and many offer additional features such as auto time-sync, etc so you don't even have to adjust for DST changes.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 am

AAA wrote:
bhsince87 wrote:
Should I forget to adjust the watch periodically, I could find myself rushing to the station to catch the 10:05 train only to find out that it left 2-3 minutes ago. I'm not interested in the watch as jewelry or to make a statement, just to tell time. And if it requires weekly adjustment it's just not appealing to me. However, I can see where others might be interested in such devices just from the point of view of admiring their complexity.
The bolded statement doesn't jive with this thread. Doesn't sound like you are wanting to blow $100k on a Patek Phillippe, but at the same time you could spend $15 at Walmart for something more accurate and that you literally never have to adjust.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:02 am

AAA wrote:
bhsince87 wrote:
Then yes, any analog watch (quartz or automatic) is not for you because you cant quickly glance at them and get the time to within a minute.

acanthurus

Post by acanthurus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

AAA wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:06 pm
Those of you who have such watches: Is that a reasonable understanding of the situation with these watches and how often do you adjust your watch?
My daily beater is an Orient Bambino that runs about +7 seconds per day fast. I wear it Monday-Friday and not on the weekends. By Monday morning the main spring will have wound down and the watch will have stopped. I put it on, go to work, and the first thing I do in the office is set it to the correct time when I sit down at my desk. Orient Bambinos can be had for $100-$150 USD.

My next watch will probably be something like a Casio Oceanus or a titanium Citizen Eco-Drive. The Bambino's leather strap vintage dress watch look doesn't play nice with my local weather (humid!) and the domed mineral crystal gets scratched up a bit with daily wear. I will miss the smooth sweeping seconds hand though.

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:48 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
... If you don't want to set a watch - you can look into options that sync to the terrestrial transmission stations. I know Casio has some Solar powered watches with time-sync...
I've been using a Casio Wave Ceptor Atomic Solar watch for over 10 years. Keeps perfect time, and battery continuously self charges (even with fluorescent lights). It synchronizes nightly with the North American atomic clock (Denver), but must be placed in an appropriate window to receive the signal. Their current lineup is here... https://www.casio.com/products/watches/wave-ceptor
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:21 pm

I am currently wearing a G Shock with solar power and satellite link. However, I also have automatic watches that cost thousands of dollars. The mechanical watches are jewelry - no point in denying that. People like all sorts of weird stuff.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:31 pm

AAA wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 pm
I'm thinking that the need to adjust the watch, whether weekly or bi-weekly, is taking away some of the charm of a fully mechanical movement.
But, that is the charm of a mechanical watch.

I wear mechanical watches because I like having something that isn't battery powered or electronic. But, I'm a mechanical guy in a digital world. Occasionally winding up my watch and resetting the time if I haven't worn in a while is part of the charm... and it only takes about 10 seconds.

If you're fretting about a few seconds here and there, it is very clearly not for you. The good news is that you'll save a lot of money by buying digital!

corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Pick which one you think is the better watch:

This $19 Timex is not mechanical and is accurate to 10s / year:

This $46,000 A. Lange Sohne is mechanical and is accurate to 3 sec/day:

Don't do something, just stand there!

bgf

Post by bgf » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 pm

i wear an automatic omega during the week and a timex ironman on weekends. i have to reset the omega every sunday night.

i dont wear the omega for timing accuracy. in fact, if that were ever critical I'd choose my ironman and/or phone for that job.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Depends on budget and your reasons for desiring such a gadget.

$200
- You can get a nice looking and very functional Seiko.
- Not much accuracy out of the box, but good enough for most people.
- Excellent value

$3-4k
- Tudor, TAG etc with a Swiss movement
- Expect 'Chronometer' performance, certified to COSC standards (-4s/+6s per day) That's considered very good.
- Well known brands, good value

$7k
- Grand Seiko with Spring Drive
- Among the best! +/- 1s per day, possibly even half a second per day. Uses a quartz/digital hybrid, this is excellent and the second hand has a very smooth sweep
- Relatively unknown but very well regarded among watch geeks

$10k+
- Rolex guarantees -2s/+2s per day
- Many are better than that, mine is about 0.75s/day fast. I set it monthly when the date rolls over.
- Possibly the strongest brand on the planet
- Investment grade value at the moment! :P

Also bear in mind that even if you get a budget model you can still have it regulated (adjusted.) My Tudor with ETA movement was off by 10s/day, after regulating it is about 2s/day.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 pm

azanon wrote:

+1 here. The least important thing a watch does is tell the time.
You could use a watch to tell the time. I do that every day. But the value of that thing on my wrist is far closer to jewelry than utility. My Oris probably loses a minute every other week. And if I take it off on Friday and come back on Monday, I will definitely need to reset it. But I like the look of it, and I would hazard that it has gotten some admiring looks, so I keep wearing it. Start wearing a Seiko every day and find out if watches are for you.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Ready3Retire wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 pm
My Omega Seamaster automatic loses about 1-2 MINUTES per day. I sent it in to the factory for a tune up/cleaning a few years ago at a cost of $700. It kept better time for a year or two. I now reset it every few days rather than spend the cost of a very nice new watch every few years for a tune up/cleaning.
Surprised to hear this. I've had an Omega Seamaster Professional for a few years and mine doesn't have any issues like that, however mine is a fairly new (bought it used) chronometer with the co-axial escape movement.

scottgekko

Post by scottgekko » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I have a Rolex Submariner and as a certified chronometer, it keeps great time to within <2 seconds a day. You don't buy an automatic watch for the most accurate time - your iphone will do that for you.

If you're looking for a great reasonably priced watch (<$350), look at a Seiko SRP777 or 779. Otherwise known as the 'turtle'. It's also the same watch Martin Sheen wore in Apocalypse Now, so that adds a little coolness to it as well.

meowcat

Post by meowcat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm

AAA wrote:
bhsince87 wrote:
Then an automatic watch is not for you. I dealt with Quartz for many, many years. I got tired of replacing the battery every couple of years. (yes, it gets tiring). But, I didn't like the accuracy of a mechanical watch. Enter Citizen Eco-Drive. I have a limited edition Promaster Titanium. It has a sapphire crystal and this thing is pretty bulletproof, and accurate. I beat up watches pretty badly and this thing just keeps on ticking. The best part; no need to ever replace a battery.
More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went. | -Roger Babson

Topic Author
AAA

Post by AAA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm

meowcat wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm
Then an automatic watch is not for you. I dealt with Quartz for many, many years. I got tired of replacing the battery every couple of years. (yes, it gets tiring).
And people are questioning my reluctance to adjust a watch once a week! :wink: But I know what you mean.
meowcat wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 pm
But, I didn't like the accuracy of a mechanical watch. Enter Citizen Eco-Drive. I have a limited edition Promaster Titanium. It has a sapphire crystal and this thing is pretty bulletproof, and accurate. I beat up watches pretty badly and this thing just keeps on ticking. The best part; no need to ever replace a battery.
I think my next watch will be an Eco-Drive. Won't the rechargeable battery eventually need to be replaced if the watch is kept long enough? Is that like replacing any other quartz watch battery or is some special procedure required?

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 pm

I dislike digital watches and couldn't find a battery operated one I liked when the battery cover rusted onto my old watch. So I ended up with a Seiko automatic winding watch. I wish I had read the reviews before hand. It looses probably around 2 to 3 minutes a week and occasionally I figure out I wasn't moving my arm enough and it stops. That is happened around three times in the year I've owned it.

The time being off doesn't bother me as much as the fact that sometimes it stops and it takes me awhile to realize it. I've almost missed things because of that. I'm training myself to be in the habit to give it a twist or two to wind it up after I take it off for bed. This has helped alleviate that problem I hope.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Another convert to a Citizen Eco-Drive, charged by the sun (or any light), sets itself every night at 2 AM, and has a second array with a different time zone. The battery is not supposed to need changing, who knows??

Also shows the day of the week and date
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:28 pm

I feel like it's important to say based on some people's comments about watches stopping on the weekend that this is entirely dependent on the reserve power for the watch. Mine has a 60-hour reserve, which is enough to get you through the weekend. I wear mine on the weekend though (I have a sporty dive watch that dresses up or down nicely), so that's not an issue. My watch never stops and I basically never adjust it. I'm sure that time will affect that, but that's where I am now.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:34 pm

bhsince87 wrote:

And this is coming from a person who buys a $15 watch at Walmart every 6-7 years.
Many people have jobs where accurate time is important to them. Driving a school bus is one of many that comes to mind. I have a Casio digital solar that I bought about 10 years ago. Accurate to the second. Updates every morning around 3 AM using radio waves. Solar keeps the battery charged. Never needed a battery yet. I also have a nicer Fossil and a Rolex for those occasions where my wife won't let me wear the Casio. Thinking about selling the Rolex. Gets very little use any more. Cost about 2K new many years ago. Same model is going for almost 12K today.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 pm

I've got my 32 36 yr old cuckoo clock accurate to withing 1 min per day.
I don't wear a watch since I retired and don't pay much attention to time anymore.
The cuckoo is a hobby now :D
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.