Which area to stay in Bangkok?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Which area to stay in Bangkok?

Post by Caduceus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:11 pm

I'm going to Bangkok in August. I'm trying to book accommodations now and would appreciate advice for which area to stay in. I want to be in an area where there are food places open 24 hours (or at least open very late into the night/early morning) because I am mostly a night owl when I travel. Apart from that, I am primarily going to be visiting markets (hunting for antiques/collectibles) and visiting historical sites/museums.

Thanks

HawkeyePierce

Re: Which area to stay in Bangkok?

Post by HawkeyePierce » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Here's a good overview of the different areas of Bangkok:

https://www.travelfish.org/location/tha ... k#coverage

I've stayed in Silom before and it was fine. My only notes would be to avoid Khao San Road unless you just love drunk backpackers and that I found the Siam Square area rather sterile.

Travelfish is hands-down the best guide to Southeast Asia I've ever found (I've traveled to the region a half-dozen times). I'd lean heavily on their recommendations.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Both times in BKK, I stayed at the Citadines Sukhumvit 16, on a relatively quiet lane with 24-hour supermarket and 24-hour restaurant close nearby, as well as numerous street food kiosks. Not sure about the kiosk hours. It's also around the corner from the BTS transit station. (I got to the airport late at night via friendly taxi from the airport.)

sfnerd

Post by sfnerd » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:12 pm

The Thong Lo area is pretty cool, and lots of stuff is open fairly late there. Close to BTS (public transit is great in Bangkok).

Silom is cool too, and closer by cab to the typical tourist places.

psy1

Post by psy1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:05 am

We stayed in Sukhumvit at the Hilton. Bangkok is huge - there is no perfect location so you might stay in a couple different places depending on the length of your stay.

seppatown

Post by seppatown » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:56 am

Unless you're from NYC, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to get food late at night. YMMV based on location: the closer you are to nightlife hubs, the higher the chance you'll find street food and restaurants open in the early AM. Otherwise, 7-11 will have you covered on literally every block wherever you end up staying.

Although travel guides all recommend a basic handful of areas, Bangkok is extremely decentralized. There's phenomenal night market in places you'll never hear of because they cater to local factory workers, for example. Food options are evenly spread across the entire city and even rolling past you throughout the day. I can guarantee you won't go hungry no matter where you choose to stay. Thai people live to eat.

On accommodations: map out all the places you want to visit and stay as close as possible to them, ideally near a BTS line. Don't take tuk tuks, avoid taxis if you can, and have a fun time!

If you are traveling solo and this is your first time in Thailand, I highly recommend you hire a tour guide for the day. Your experience will be so much better. You'll learn a ton and understand the context behind the things you see. Bangkok is not a walkable city.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 am

I disagree that Bangkok isn't walkable. No, it's not a walkers' paradise but you'll get a far better sense of life in the city on your own two feet than you will in the back of a car.

I mostly walked when I was in Bangkok and I didn't find it too bad.

seppatown

Post by seppatown » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:58 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 am
I disagree that Bangkok isn't walkable. No, it's not a walkers' paradise but you'll get a far better sense of life in the city on your own two feet than you will in the back of a car.

Bangkok, like most other SE Asian capital cities, is not point A-to-point B friendly. San Francisco and Philly are walkable. Los Angeles and Houston are not. It doesn't mean you avoid walking altogether, but any sort of trip like OP's (which sounds like it's <1mo) should be pre-planned and logistical.

You can exclusively walk around your little section of Bangkok, but you would viewing a tiny microcosm of the greater metropolis. Bangkok is heavily toured but 99.9% of it is not designed for tourists. A guide is extremely helpful if OP is interested in cultural/historical elements and wants to 'tap in'. Heck, a local contact would be helpful just to understand how and what food to order at street markets and in restaurants.

Source: Backpacked/biked/motorbiked SE Asia for years, wife is Thai :).

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:55 pm

seppatown wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:58 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:27 am

Bangkok, like most other SE Asian capital cities, is not point A-to-point B friendly. San Francisco and Philly are walkable. Los Angeles and Houston are not. It doesn't mean you avoid walking altogether, but any sort of trip like OP's (which sounds like it's <1mo) should be pre-planned and logistical.

You can exclusively walk around your little section of Bangkok, but you would viewing a tiny microcosm of the greater metropolis. Bangkok is heavily toured but 99.9% of it is not designed for tourists. A guide is extremely helpful if OP is interested in cultural/historical elements and wants to 'tap in'. Heck, a local contact would be helpful just to understand how and what food to order at street markets and in restaurants.

Source: Backpacked/biked/motorbiked SE Asia for years, wife is Thai :).
Yes, I agree that walking to get somewhere not nearby is going to be frustrating unless you just have all day to get there!

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:38 am

I would love to walk more in Bangkok, but I was dripping in sweat about 5 minutes after leaving my hotel. Take some wheels, and spread the cash.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 am

Get a hotel close to one of the BTS stations and you will be OK. Popular areas include Siam, Sukhumvit, and Saphan Taksin. For the first time visitors, I would suggest to find a hotel along the BTS from Ratchathewi to Asok stations (download a BTS and metro map from the internet). Within 10 minutes of walking to a BTS station, you will be able to go anywhere in Bangkok very easily.
Street foods are everywhere. Short distance walking in Bangkok is not a problem is you are physically fit.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:54 am

+1 flyingaway

Stay at a place by the BTS stations. As been said download a BTS map and work backwards, not the other way around.

Drink plenty of water.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:07 pm

HawkeyePierce wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm
Here's a good overview of the different areas of Bangkok:

https://www.travelfish.org/location/tha ... k#coverage

I've stayed in Silom before and it was fine. My only notes would be to avoid Khao San Road unless you just love drunk backpackers and that I found the Siam Square area rather sterile.

Travelfish is hands-down the best guide to Southeast Asia I've ever found (I've traveled to the region a half-dozen times). I'd lean heavily on their recommendations.
Thanks for the tip! Viet Nam in my future.