Friend's car caught in flood ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hudson

Re: Friend's car caught in flood ?

Post by hudson » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am
I think he will try to jumpstart the car this weekend.

We shall see!

If I were a betting person, I think I would bet on the car running again - not at even odds - but at the odds expressed here that the chances of the car returning to everyday use are very low.

What are the "odds" others would set?
It depends on the owner. If he's determined and he's good at scrounging and swapping parts, it'll go.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Probably will know within a week or so.

Just my "guess", but I think it will either be generally OK or a no go - nothing in between.

For him, this car is "his" car - and they (his wife and him) have another car as well.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:17 pm

dm200 wrote:

We shall see!

If I were a betting person, I think I would bet on the car running again - not at even odds - but at the odds expressed here that the chances of the car returning to everyday use are very low.

I'm going to say it will start.
However the possibility of electronic issues dash board etc will be a problem.
Remember that the muffler and catalytic converter will most likely still have a bunch of water in them, so starting may be harder due to the back pressure.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:52 am

dm200 wrote:

We shall see!

I would give it 80% odds of starting.

I hope they put a fan in the interior to speed drying it out. It shouldn't take too long. :happy

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:50 am

ClevrChico wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:52 am
dm200 wrote:
We shall see!

I would give it 80% odds of starting.
I hope they put a fan in the interior to speed drying it out. It shouldn't take too long. :happy
I guess getting it started would be the first step in possibly getting it back on the road. Then his repair shop could check it out.

I will post the results here. :)

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm

What ended up happening?

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am

Tuxedo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm
What ended up happening?
About a week ago, he tried jump starting the car. It did not turn over. I think he then planned to let it sit and dry out for a week or two more. I will see him this week.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:29 pm

He really wants to hang onto this late '90s Camry, huh? :confused

Let it go and move on, man.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:27 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am
Tuxedo wrote:
What ended up happening?
About a week ago, he tried jump starting the car. It did not turn over. I think he then planned to let it sit and dry out for a week or two more. I will see him this week.
If a month didn't fix it, 6 weeks probably won't either. First thing to check is whether the starter motor is getting power. If it is and the engine is locked up from water getting inside, he should just call the wrecking yard to get the thing gone.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Time to kiss it goodbye.

Just make sure your tetanus shot is up to date first.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Public safety notice:
A vehicle can be swept away by as little as six inches of moving water.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am

alfaspider wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:27 pm
dm200 wrote:
Tuxedo wrote:
What ended up happening?
If a month didn't fix it, 6 weeks probably won't either. First thing to check is whether the starter motor is getting power. If it is and the engine is locked up from water getting inside, he should just call the wrecking yard to get the thing gone.
Two weeks ago, he tried a jump from a good car/battery to the "dried out" one. The "dried out" one got power, such as lights, displays - but would not turn over. He plans on giving it one more try this week.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Public safety notice:
The car was not "swept away" - just "stuck in the middle of a flooded intersection. He said the water came up to the middle of the doors (outside), and was rising inside the car to the middle of the front seats. He chose to stay in the car - He said that if the water inside had risen much more, he would have gotten out of the car and waded to the curb.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 am

No mention of mileage or recent repairs, I personally would not want to travel down the highway at 50 MPH in this thing.

I could tell a story about a couple of dozen new Buick & Pontiac vehicles in a flood area, but it would damage a good dealers reputation. Yes, a good dealer, but did what the insurance company and the "OLD" GM told them to do.

I watched the repairs of these vehicles over a 5 year period, NEW vehicles.

My suggestion find someone who needs a new boat anchor, a big one about the size of a Camry, run the ad stating it has been pre-baptized by the waters.

A good movie to recall now,, "A River Runs Through It " :happy

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am
willthrill81 wrote:
Public safety notice:
The car was not "swept away" - just "stuck in the middle of a flooded intersection. He said the water came up to the middle of the doors (outside), and was rising inside the car to the middle of the front seats. He chose to stay in the car - He said that if the water inside had risen much more, he would have gotten out of the car and waded to the curb.
I know. It was just an FYI.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:17 am
dm200 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Public safety notice:
I know. It was just an FYI.
Years ago, some folks we know had a college age son that was killed when his car was swept away in a flash flood in a rural area. Very sad, indeed.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:23 pm

dm200 wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
Public safety notice:
The more you post about this guy.... yikes! :oops:

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:35 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am
alfaspider wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:27 pm
dm200 wrote:
Tuxedo wrote:
What ended up happening?
Two weeks ago, he tried a jump from a good car/battery to the "dried out" one. The "dried out" one got power, such as lights, displays - but would not turn over. He plans on giving it one more try this week.
But the question is whether the starter motor is getting power. There are inexpensive probes you can buy to check this. The question is: is the starter motor attempting to turn the crank or not? If it is attempting and it can't budge the crank, then water may have gotten into the crankcase, caused rust, and locked up the motor. In that case, the car is most likely toast. Alternatively, it could be a fuse or relay that is preventing the starter for getting power, or the starter itself was damaged by the water.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Buy a “new” 1999 Camry for $1k. That’s what I sold mine for and it ran great.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Tuxedo

Post by Tuxedo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:57 am

dm200 wrote:
What was the outcome?

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 am

I have some experience with a car that was flooded at about window height level. Insurance company made it clear it was almost a certainty that many electronic components are completely destroyed. Due to the significant time and potential high expense to look into it there are no practical ways to go about it. Even if fixed different things could break again later. In summary they would be reimburse me for the appropriate value.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 am

Won't turn over?

Google "hydrolock".

The car is toast. Likely bent rods from trying to compress water. Steel is down. Now about 3 cents a pound.

It's possible that some parts would sell via craigslist. It's worth throwing an ad in. Also, if he has a place to dismantle the car, it can be sold as scrap steel so long as its cut up and the plastic and non steel stuff is removed. There's wiring, which is worth more, although the price is very low right now and aluminum if he wants to get into that but even aluminum prices are down. The Chinese are buying close to nothing right now, so everything scrap is in the toilet for value.
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:48 am

The car is likely toast - not dry more like French with lots of syrup. If if the engine is not hydro-locked, the car will never be reliable again. And certainly not safe, I'd especially be concerned about SRS sensors and airbags/wiring being wet and corroded.

sjt

Post by sjt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:29 am

I had this happen to me as a poor college kid on an internship circa 2006. The car was a 1978 Oldsmobile station wagon (Custom Cruiser - baby blue with baby blue interior) with a 403ci V8. It had a round air filter on the top of the engine, which was fed from an air pickup tube above the drivers wheel. I was doing OK driving back into the apartment complex when there was a dip in the road - enough to submerge that pickup tube and suck a bunch of water into the engine. My buddy pulled it up and we parked it for a few days until we had time to check it out.

Of course it wouldn't turn over since water is not compressible. We took the wet air filter and spark plugs out, cranked the key, and water shot out of the spark plug holes. Sprayed some ether into the cylinders, replaced the spark plugs, and that thing started right up. A couple of oil changes later and she was good as new (well, good as a 28 year old car could be).

Didn't seem to have any problems with the engine / rods, but I bet they were pretty stout in that engine. Not much else to add except there may be life after hydrolock.
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:44 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:11 am
During the recent downpour and flash flood warnings, a friend of ours was caught in rapidly rising water at an intersection. His car (late 90's Camry) stalled and the water rose up to mid door level. When the water drained, the car would not start and the security system locked things up. His repair shop (car towed there) says that the floorboard area, etc, is very wet and that because of the wetness/water, there is current running through this wetness/water.

They told him that it might be possible that if the car dries out over the next week or so, it might be ok. Then again, it is possible that this older electrical system in the car is permanently messed up. The repair shop did not have an opinion, or even a guess, what the probabilities are. He can get along for a while without this car - but any thoughts or ideas about what to do, or not do? because of the age and value of the car, he does not have collision or comprehensive insurance.

Ideas?
Interesting that collision is not a requirement. In our state all drivers must have collision.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:45 am

He can only wait and see how everything unfolds. Will probably end up needing a new car. Most importantly he was ok with the situation and not hurt.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Been a month since the last OP update, sorta curious myself.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 pm
Been a month since the last OP update, sorta curious myself.
Let me check with him again this weekend.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:44 am

Just checked with him over the weekend. Car still sitting in front of his house. This week, he plans to give it one more shot - get it towed to a nearby repair place and see if the repair place can get it up and running.

He knows this is a long shot - but giving it one more try will not cost him very much if it does not work.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:16 pm

WOW.... just WOW :shock:

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:17 pm

If he donates the vehicle to charity, sells it to an individual or to a salvage yard he needs to check with his state's titling authority to see if the title needs to be branded and given a flood title. (Note that in many states titling is done at the DMV, on others its done at other agencies.) In some states, donating it to charity doesn't require rebranding but selling it, even as an individual, might; a salvage yard may be able to handle the titling for him or know the law. If he fails to follow his state's requirement, he could be charged with title washing and that is fraud. Doing it across state lines could involve the feds. Buyers in flood prone areas should be aware of what to look for when buying a used vehicle, but surprisingly most aren't.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:59 pm

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 am
No mention of mileage or recent repairs, I personally would not want to travel down the highway at 50 MPH in this thing.

I could tell a story about a couple of dozen new Buick & Pontiac vehicles in a flood area, but it would damage a good dealers reputation. Yes, a good dealer, but did what the insurance company and the "OLD" GM told them to do.

I watched the repairs of these vehicles over a 5 year period, NEW vehicles.

My suggestion find someone who needs a new boat anchor, a big one about the size of a Camry, run the ad stating it has been pre-baptized by the waters.

A good movie to recall now,, "A River Runs Through It " :happy
Also a song: "Time to Say Goodbye" 8-)

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Mr. Rumples wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:17 pm
If he donates the vehicle to charity, sells it to an individual or to a salvage yard he needs to check with his state's titling authority to see if the title needs to be branded and given a flood title. (Note that in many states titling is done at the DMV, on others its done at other agencies.) In some states, donating it to charity doesn't require rebranding but selling it, even as an individual, might; a salvage yard may be able to handle the titling for him or know the law. If he fails to follow his state's requirement, he could be charged with title washing and that is fraud. Doing it across state lines could involve the feds. Buyers in flood prone areas should be aware of what to look for when buying a used vehicle, but surprisingly most aren't.
Thanks for the information - I will pass it along.

No, I doubt anyone would want to be accused (or guilty of) "title washing".

Years ago, a friend of mine - who drove older cars - somehow ended up buying a car where (it later turned out) the title had been somehow "washed". My friend had nothing to do with washing the title, but when he sold it - something set off an alarm - and he was accused of fraud, etc. He had to pay to get a lawyer to deal with this mess.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Carfax has an article about title washing:

https://www.carfax.com/press/resources/ ... le-washing

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm

He just had the car towed to his repair place to give it one more try! He admits it is a long shot - but you almost never know with these older Camrys.

He should know in a few days.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:19 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm
He just had the car towed to his repair place to give it one more try! He admits it is a long shot - but you almost never know with these older Camrys.
He should know in a few days.
The car dried out so that there is no short circuit. HOWEVER, engine will not turn over -

His alternatives - junk the car OR put another engine in the car - and see what happens. He is choosing the latter - as long as the car repair place can find an engine that they feel is reasonable. I suspect that there are a lot of such 4 cyl engines for Camrys of that era. I think that 4 cyl engine was used if five or more model years. He hopes that the car will be back on the road within the next week or so.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:24 am

I would not spend another dime on a flooded out vehicle. But that's just me I guess.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:26 am

mrc wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:24 am
I would not spend another dime on a flooded out vehicle. But that's just me I guess.
Yes - I see the point. We shall see how this works out (or does not work out) for him!

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:26 am

This is been going on for months. Too bad I did not notice it earlier.

Step One. Make sure the engine is not hydro-locked. It should turn over with starter, or a wrench.

Step two. If the engine still turns over. Remove seats and carpet. Put them in the sun.

Step three. If you get this far you have a chance of keeping this as a usable vehicle. But it will never be the same.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:53 am

Replacing an engine in a late nineties Camry, hmm, how much would a shop charge for that, and how much is the car worth?

Being that it flooded, probably wasted money.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Kagord wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:53 am
Replacing an engine in a late nineties Camry, hmm, how much would a shop charge for that, and how much is the car worth?
Being that it flooded, probably wasted money.
When I see him next, I will check on the status of the car.

This car is their second car - now only driven locally - and low yearly mileage.

We shall see..

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:33 am

Saw him and the car yesterday - engine replaced for about $2,100.

The check engine light is on, but the repair place said there was water inside some component - and it should go away after he drives the car - and that dries out.

Car seems to be running fine, according to him. He and his wife have lived with one car for the past several months -- and now back to two cars. This car is the one he drives most of the time.

They also had to replace the battery. The repair place told him that the engine they put in had about 120,000 miles.

Time will tell, I suppose, whether this was a good decision.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:03 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:33 am
Saw him and the car yesterday - engine replaced for about $2,100.

The check engine light is on, but the repair place said there was water inside some component - and it should go away after he drives the car - and that dries out.

Car seems to be running fine, according to him. He and his wife have lived with one car for the past several months -- and now back to two cars. This car is the one he drives most of the time.

They also had to replace the battery. The repair place told him that the engine they put in had about 120,000 miles.

Time will tell, I suppose, whether this was a good decision.
I'm afraid I can say up front it was a poor one, as you can buy a similar car that was not caught in a flood- running and driving for that sort of money. Now he's working with a junkyard engine of unknown history and potential electrical issues down the road.

keaton

Post by keaton » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:15 am

Wow, that was not the wisest move. No way on this planet I would put over $2K into an old flooded Camry and ive been a mechanic for many years.

Where he lost the engine was letting it run in the flooded water, if he just shut it down, no problem! hydro locked is the biggest killer of floods.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 am

I love it, go Camry go! Not a great use of money but it will be a fun story to tell about the car.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:43 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 am
I love it, go Camry go! Not a great use of money but it will be a fun story to tell about the car.
Yes - ;)

He told me that the repair place got one engine first, but after examining it, they rejected it - and sent it back. The repair place then got a second engine - which they judged to be OK. DW and I also use that same repair place for our older Camrys. This repair place does stand behind their work.

My wife and I also have two older Camrys of that era (late 1990s and early 2000s.

Time will tell.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:40 pm

Saw him earlier today -

Car is running fine now - although two (no charge) trips back to the repair place.

The only thing not working is that the horn does not sound.

Repair place told him to drive for a while - and see if it returns to functionality. They told him that the horn worked intermittently when they worked on it. He says the car now drives just fine - and he will drive to and from work every day - and generally around the area - doing errands, etc.

chevca

Post by chevca » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:46 pm

As I said earlier in this one, WOW! Not a wise choice, IMO. But,...

I'll give him credit for his loyalty and devotion to that flooded out old car... just wasn't going to let her go. There's something to be said for that, I guess. I hope he gets plenty more years out of the car.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:02 pm

He is driving the car every day, and his wife has driven it once or twice - but the check engine light is on. He needs to get an emissions inspection before the end of the month to renew his registration - so it remains to be seen how that will be handled by the repair shop where the work was done and which is an inspection station.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:32 pm

chevca wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:46 pm
As I said earlier in this one, WOW! Not a wise choice, IMO. But,...

I'll give him credit for his loyalty and devotion to that flooded out old car... just wasn't going to let her go. There's something to be said for that, I guess. I hope he gets plenty more years out of the car.
"As I said earlier in this one, WOW! Not a wise choice"
Yes - agreed.