Wize Cam reviews

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tenesmus83

Wize Cam reviews

Post by Tenesmus83 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:10 pm

Just found out about these security cameras. Amazing features for only $25.
Anyone know why they are so inexpensive compared $200+ Arlo cameras

mancich

Re: Wize Cam reviews

Post by mancich » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:49 am

I don't know how they do it, but I've got 4 of them and they're great. Two-way sound (not super clear, but good enough), HD video, the ability to pan back and forth on the pan model, records 12 second motion clips (and you can add a cheap SD card for continuous recording), sends notifications to phone when it senses movement or a smoke alarm sound... not bad at all for the price.

student

Post by student » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:37 am

I am happy with the product. The price is very good.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 am

One reason at least initially that they were so cheap is they streamed all their video full-time to an unidentified server in China. The manufacturer "fixed the glitch" last year with a firmware update. I still wouldn't trust them though.

macheta

Post by macheta » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:13 am

I have been using there products for about three years and highly recommend there products. They purchase the cameras in bulk from a company in china which is the reason for the cheap prices. They work flawlessly and are reliable. The software is updated routinely. I'm amazed on how much better they make these each time a new update comes out.

I read there security policy a few months ago. All the data is encrypted and each camera has its own key and the data saved in the cloud for notification purposes is saved on the amazon cloud. You can turn this feature off. I recommend reading there privacy statement if you have concerns.

https://www.wyze.com/privacy-statement-wyze-products/

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:28 am

They are the best camera for the price for sure! We bought 4 and my most members of my family purchased them as well. You just have to find suitable places that they can be plugged in as compared to the other models which may offer rechargeable batteries and outdoor weather ratings.

student

Post by student » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:52 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 am
One reason at least initially that they were so cheap is they streamed all their video full-time to an unidentified server in China. The manufacturer "fixed the glitch" last year with a firmware update. I still wouldn't trust them though.
I have the same concerns so I only use the cameras to monitor areas outside of my house. I would not use it to monitor inside of my house.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 am

I'm planning to add 5 cameras outside to cover drive way and front doors. Must haves are:
- few days of backup that can be remote viewed
- ability to watch live from iPhone
- Send notification on motion

My neighbors swear by NEST and admittedly they are pretty sweet. They check all of the boxes except the device cost and monthly reoccurring cost. Cameras are around $150 each ($750 initial purchase) plus $170/year for the service.

Does anyone have any other recommendations that check those boxes like this? Thanks!

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:06 am

Tenesmus83 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:10 pm
Easy, they keep costs in check. They use commodity hardware, have little to no marketing for the company, and have a small staff of dedicated developers. They are by far the best value in home security cameras.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:20 am

When my Foscam died last month (after 8 years of service) I decided to try one of these. Wyze is a great little camera with a lot of features that are only found in the more expensive cameras. They are constantly updating and adding new features which get downloaded on to your existing camera. Yesterday they added person detection. Check out their website. They have big plans. Things like Wyze Sense provides you with sensors for almost everything in your home. I will be ordering more soon. My only slight issue is that they currently don't support viewing on a PC. You need a smart phone or tablet. There are some work arounds for PC viewing like loading a phone emulator on your PC or setting up a server on your phone for the PC to view from but so far no clean solution.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Possibly relevant - deliberate backdoor found in some Chinese made security cameras

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business ... -to-remove

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:36 pm

Wyzecams are indoor and wired.
Arlo can be used outdoor, and are battery powered.

davebo

Post by davebo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:09 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 am
I'm planning to add 5 cameras outside to cover drive way and front doors. Must haves are:

My neighbors swear by NEST and admittedly they are pretty sweet. They check all of the boxes except the device cost and monthly reoccurring cost. Cameras are around $150 each ($750 initial purchase) plus $170/year for the service.

Does anyone have any other recommendations that check those boxes like this? Thanks!
I had heard that NEST cameras use a lot of data, so I asked my parents (that have like 5 of the outdoor ones) if they ever got charged by Comcast for going over. They told me that they hadn't and they loved the system. Later that week, my dad told me that he looked up his data usage and had gone over 1 month and was 1/3 of the way through their data after 9 or 10 days for the current month. Might not be a factor depending on how many cameras you have, but always a possibility.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Tenesmus83 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:10 pm
I love them, have three of them. I wish their internet setup was a bit easier, but otherwise everything else is perfect.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:34 pm

We have two of the cameras and love them. Spent around $70 total for two cameras and memory cards. Easy setup. Already feel like the money was saved the first time motion alerts made me look and I noticed the garage was still open. Motion was just headlights on the street but got me out of bed to go close the garage. Wifi garage opener closer will be next fun addition.

camper1

Post by camper1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:47 pm

mtmingus wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:36 pm
Wyzecams are indoor and wired.
Arlo can be used outdoor, and are battery powered.
Even though they are designed for indoors, you can purchase a weatherproof outdoor case on amazon for around $10.00. I have had one outside to monitor our front door for over a year with no issues. I get immediate notices with video when a delivery arrives or someone is at our front door. The new "person detection" is great as it eliminates false notifications from wind, birds, bugs, etc...

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:59 pm

I use them and like them a lot, especially for the price.

The development team is constantly improving the software and adding features, the most recently being AI person detection to discriminate between a person or pet, etc. Of course with added features comes some added complication since Wyze allows a lot of personalization.

Wyze will soon be introducing an outdoor version.

I am not completely comfortable with the privacy of any internet connected device no matter what the brand so some of our cameras are usually unplugged.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:03 pm

I have a few Wyze cameras. They are the best bang for the buck going, quite incredible. I don't quite understand the paranoia people have over the cloud storage in China. I highly doubt the Chinese corp thas people watching homeowners come & go and birds, bugs and shadows setting of an alert. If you want to be paranoid worry about google/amazon/facebook spying on you.

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:15 am

++1!!

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:46 am

rj342 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 pm
Possibly relevant - deliberate backdoor found in some Chinese made security cameras

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business ... -to-remove
I don't trust these cheap cameras. For anyone who is using them and similar products, I hope you're putting them on a segregated VLAN on your home network. You should do this for any IoT devices you have.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:28 am

davebo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:09 pm
ddurrett896 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 am

I had heard that NEST cameras use a lot of data, so I asked my parents (that have like 5 of the outdoor ones) if they ever got charged by Comcast for going over. They told me that they hadn't and they loved the system. Later that week, my dad told me that he looked up his data usage and had gone over 1 month and was 1/3 of the way through their data after 9 or 10 days for the current month. Might not be a factor depending on how many cameras you have, but always a possibility.
With three streaming cams, on top of other heavy household use (including son home from college), I exceeded the data on the 50 mb/s plan, larger data cap on 100mb plan never any issue.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:09 am

Op If I suggest please change your original title Wize to Wyze since there isn’t a Wize brand.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 am

I have two Wyze cams. I've only had them a week, so I'm still learning the ins and outs. I have memory cards in each one, to improve the functionality. They seem to work well, and the price seems very good for what you get.

I'm also not understanding the security worries. What exactly is the concern?
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:16 pm

deanbrew wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 am
I have two Wyze cams. I've only had them a week, so I'm still learning the ins and outs. I have memory cards in each one, to improve the functionality. They seem to work well, and the price seems very good for what you get.

I'm also not understanding the security worries. What exactly is the concern?
IoT devices in general are not always known to have the best security against hacking when companies don't keep the firmware updated etc. At my house, only my PCs/tablets and phones have full access to my network. All IoT devices (TVs, Roku, smart hub/lights/switches, cameras, etc) are on a separate SSID that is on an isolated VLAN. This means the devices on that VLAN cannot access anything else on the network.

With Wyze there was some worry when people saw that the cameras are making calls to servers in China. If I remember correctly there was some legitimate reason for this, but I don't remember the details. Either way I wouldn't want it to have full access to my network.