my best new travel tip only $2 per day more [airport parking]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lomarica01

my best new travel tip only $2 per day more [airport parking]

Post by lomarica01 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:54 am

I hate the economy long term parking at our big city airport, it is on gravel and you need a shuttle to get to the terminal. It can take easily half an hour or more to get to the terminal after parking. Once three shuttles passed us as they were all full, but eventually we made it. People were walking to the other shuttle stops so they could get on earlier.

So in looking for our trip tomorrow I noticed they have another long term parking lot that is paved and much closer to the terminal, might even be able to walk to it, all for a whopping $2 more per day. So here is the math, 9 days will be an extra $18. Not even a thought not to park at the better lot.

Wish I realized this years ago, I just always assumed the better parking would be too expensive.
Does anyone have any other great no brainer travel tips?

neilpilot

Re: my best new travel tip only $2 per day more

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 am

If we’ll be gone more than 4 days we don’t drive, we Lyft.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:07 am

1. For a long trip, my present big-city airport has hotels that offer some free parking with one night lodging, and good rates after that.

2. For another big-city airport, almost invariably I walked to the terminal. It was at most half a mile or so and I can cover that in 10 min, even with luggage. I have been known to turn down rides from the shuttle bus. I say that I am in a hurry.

3. Rarely, but very rarely, a taxi or limo has been a reasonable choice.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 am

I live about 30 miles from the airport. I have found that getting a one way rental car at a suburban location near my house, then dropping it off at the airport works well. (and the opposite when I return).

I can pick the car up the day ahead of time as long as I drop it off within 24 hours

I can usually find these for about $45 but I will need to check several companies since the price will vary a lot depending on where the rental car companies needs the cars.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:49 am

Our long-term is $6 daily, a five minute, covered walk. Standard is $24 daily. It is what happens after you schedule and get on the airplane, experience the delays and transfers that are our issues. Free parking would not account for that unless the ticket were upgraded.

Tim

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Where I am, the pay to park lots are completely full so people have resorted to parking in a nearby dirt field or up on the side of road coming in. We are talking hundreds of cars. They say it is costing the airport over 100k a month in lost parking revenue. I love it cause they don't ticket anybody for doing it since it is a total disaster right now, and I don't have to pay $7 a day (the rate in the cheapest lot) so I do it even if the normal lots are full. :D

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Consider https://www.airportparkingreservations.com/
I always get a $5-6 off coupon code that negates the "booking fee".
Often, you can get covered lots/hotel lots cheaper than on-site.
Beware of shuttle timings and frequency though.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:19 pm

Watty wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 am
I live about 30 miles from the airport. I have found that getting a one way rental car at a suburban location near my house, then dropping it off at the airport works well. (and the opposite when I return).

I can pick the car up the day ahead of time as long as I drop it off within 24 hours

I can usually find these for about $45 but I will need to check several companies since the price will vary a lot depending on where the rental car companies needs the cars.
Yes- good idea we do this as well. Often we can get deals of one day rentals at $29 - at least to the airports although not typically back away from the airports around here.

trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Lyft/Uber is nearly always cheaper (I live >30 minutes from the airport) than parking. Sometimes I park at work which is even closer to save a bit more.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:32 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 am
I can rent a limousine with a bottle of bub for less than some acquaintances spend on airport parking. Granted my home airport is on the pricey side.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:00 pm

I live relatively close to the airport so ask a neighbor for a rode to the airport and take a taxi home. (Gift for neighbor in hand).

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:55 pm

I always use 3rd party parking services where I can reserve ahead of time to have zero worry about having an available spot.

gclancer

Post by gclancer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:02 pm

neilpilot wrote:
+1

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:13 pm

I'll take public transportation to airport if traveling alone as I travel with one carry on bag only. If traveling with others I'll usually Taxi/Uber/Lyft.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 pm

I live about 30 miles from the airport. I have a friend who lives about 3 miles from the airport so I usually park in front of her house and Uber to/from airport.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:39 pm

I am acutely aware of parking costs at our airport because of filling out lots of expense reports that include not only the actual dollars paid to park, but also the mileage and tolls to drive to the airport which is 25 miles each way.

There are numerous parking companies that compete for my business. The cheapest makes everyone drive in and park where the shuttle vans are all waiting, so there is really no delay waiting for a van. Flag people and signs make sure you park where the vans are waiting and there are always places to park where they direct you. This is so efficient, I just assumed that all airport parking systems do it this way. If there were no places at those locations, the flag people and directions are shifted to the new place and the shuttle buses are there as well. $6 a day.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:32 pm

trevorshhh wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:31 pm
Lyft/Uber is nearly always cheaper (I live >30 minutes from the airport) than parking. Sometimes I park at work which is even closer to save a bit more.
+1. I live 25 minutes from the airport and it's always cheaper than parking at the airport, for the length of trips we usually go on. The only thing that sucks about Uber/Lyft is installing car seats for the kids in the Uber when we get picked up, and uninstalling them at the airport.

HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:50 pm

When I lived in Boulder, I was a good 45 minutes from the Denver airport. Since the city of Boulder provides free unlimited bus passes for the entire Denver area to employees working in the downtown business district, I would almost always take the bus. The airport route used big coach buses and took the toll road, so traffic was never an issue and it was free!

The only downside is that the service was hourly, so depending on how long I had to wait for a bus on the return I'd sometimes end up taking Lyft back home ($75).

I would only drive for short trips. For business trips I'd park in the covered garage at $25/day since I was expensing it. For my own trips I'd usually use the terminal-adjacent lot which was $13.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:56 pm

One advantage of living out in rural America is that the farthest parking lot at the airport is maybe a five minute walk if I walk slowly. The disadvantage is that I almost never can find a direct flight anywhere other than to a national hub where I have to make a connection.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:23 pm

police have issued a warning...

if you use uber/lyft to get to the airport -- and the driver picks you up at your home with luggage in hand and takes you to the airport -- you've just told a stranger that you are going to be out of town. there have been several robberies that they have tied back to uber/lyft drivers using this info.

for what it's worth.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:35 pm

neilpilot wrote:
This. I never park at the airport, even if it's a one-day trip. Always take Uber/Lyft. Saves me time on both ends.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:47 pm

miles monroe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:23 pm

if you use uber/lyft to get to the airport -- and the driver picks you up at your home with luggage in hand and takes you to the airport -- you've just told a stranger that you are going to be out of town. there have been several robberies that they have tied back to uber/lyft drivers using this info.

for what it's worth.
I’m not concerned, since we live in a gated community and almost always have someone else staying in our home when we travel.

OTOH a theft ring in our area had been surveying car license #s at one local airport park to target home burglaries. Sometimes you just can’t win. 😎

JPH

Post by JPH » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm

I took the regular city bus once to and from the airport. A very long trip with transfers, but I managed. Senior fare for me now is $0.50 each way. I'm not planning to do it again.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:56 pm

miles monroe wrote:

for what it's worth.
This warning would also apply if someone was calling for a taxi. But if there is any concern, Uber/Lyft makes it much easier to use a street corner or a neighbor's/public location address as a meeting location in order not to disclose the exact location where one lives.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:11 pm

Seattle is home airport. NEVER will use offsight parking anymore. It takes essentially 45minutes to 1 hour to be picked up and driven to car lot after waiting for luggage. Frustrating to see bus after bus after bus drive by filled. Last time ended up taking cab to the lot. It’s too congested.

Will uber to airport if with family or take uber X to train station then to airport by commuter train which arrives every 6-10 minutes. ($8 uber and 2.75 train). Reliably reliable with regards to time on train. Return, if alone will take train to drop off and then uber home (uber costs an additional $8 for airport pickup). Again train comes every 6 - 10 minutes). Getting uber X at airport is a cluster and can take upwards of 20-30 minutes before arrival due to congestion and uber lot is off sight. When with family will take Uber black home which will pick up curbside ($55). Will call for uber black when picking up luggage so timing works well). Not going to subject family to train ride on the other side of parking lot with luggage in hand. When I travel alone no checked bags and an efficient stroll with single rollover bag and attached brief case).

Train ride to my stop takes 27 minutes and will call for uber at minute 23. Once had a set of golf clubs and suitcase traveling alone. Didn’t feel like sitting on train for 27 minutes. Had uber pick me up at first train stop 3 minutes away and saved $8 Airport fee. I had planned on using uber X directly on airport but it was so congested uber drivers were in traffic for 30 minutes. Actually walked the extra 500 steps to train and called for uber once train arrived and was on an Uber 20 minutes faster than standard airport pick.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:12 pm

Noise cancelling headphones are a great addition for airplane travel. Makes the whole experience a lot more tolerable.

Also, this should not be news to anyone here but just in case: the CSR card - free Global Entry/Pre-Check, Priority Pass lounges. Primary rental car insurance.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:30 pm

JPH wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm
I took the regular city bus once to and from the airport. A very long trip with transfers, but I managed. Senior fare for me now is $0.50 each way. I'm not planning to do it again.
NYC has the M60 (SBS) from LaGuardia for $2.75 to anywhere in the city served by the MTA. It is actually faster than a private car to some locations. It's the way I roll going to/from Manhattan.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Some friends of mine travel extensively and use the Lexus car dealer near the airport to store and park their car when they travel. Many times they also get free rides from the dealer to the airport and vice versa. So a real bargain. And yes they own two Lexus SUVs and get them serviced at that dealer.

Good Luck.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:57 pm

lomarica01 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:54 am
So here is the math, 9 days will be an extra $18. Not even a thought not to park at the better lot.
I haven't parked at the airport in years. Uber or Lyft is more economical almost every time and I'm a good 20-30 minutes away.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 pm

btenny wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:46 pm
Some friends of mine travel extensively and use the Lexus car dealer near the airport to store and park their car when they travel. Many times they also get free rides from the dealer to the airport and vice versa. So a real bargain. And yes they own two Lexus SUVs and get them serviced at that dealer.

Good Luck.
Curious about this one. Do they schedule to have some type of service done while they are traveling (such as oil change), or does the dealer offer free parking to any Lexus customer?

I have read that the cheapest way to park the car in NYC for the day is to actually get the oil changed. Pay only for an oil change and park for the whole day. Worth it in NYC.
https://jalopnik.com/the-secret-to-chea ... 1657972990

JonnyDVM

Re: my best new travel tip only $2 per day more [airport parking]

Post by JonnyDVM » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Costco has 5 days of ATL airport parking for $30. Sweet deal. It’s off site but a short shuttle ride away.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 pm

btenny wrote:
This might be the most expensive parking ever. :happy

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm

I'm going to the airport this week and my father-in-law is dropping me off.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:12 pm

I've converted to ride share services for airport parking for more than a week or so. It's about $45-50 round trip, 38mi or so combined. Covered parking is similarly priced for one week, but not truly covered (hail can still damage your car, unless maybe it's a very small one) and of course any parking is more expensive for longer periods. Garage parking is too expensive. Hotel parking costs less than on-airport and the shuttle service has been good (although you have to allow another 30min or so for the shuttle), but my car window was shot out at the hotel parking once. For a short trip when storms aren't likely I'd do outside airport parking at $6-7/day.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:49 pm

lomarica01 wrote:
I hate the economy long term parking at our big city airport, it is on gravel and you need a shuttle to get to the terminal. It can take easily half an hour or more to get to the terminal after parking. Once three shuttles passed us as they were all full, but eventually we made it. People were walking to the other shuttle stops so they could get on earlier.

So in looking for our trip tomorrow I noticed they have another long term parking lot that is paved and much closer to the terminal, might even be able to walk to it, all for a whopping $2 more per day. So here is the math, 9 days will be an extra $18. Not even a thought not to park at the better lot.

Wish I realized this years ago, I just always assumed the better parking would be too expensive.
I just take a train to the airport terminal and pay $4-6 each way. Sounds reasonable enough, and price doesn’t increase if trip is long.

Carson

Post by Carson » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:55 pm

miles monroe wrote:

for what it's worth.
Great point. I live in a SFH in the city and come out the end of my alley to a dummy address (eg, 2200 N xxxx) which I think helps a little at least.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 am

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 pm
btenny wrote:
This might be the most expensive parking ever. :happy
Our departure flight is often 6-7am. We usually return in the evening after any Lexus dealer would be closed. That’s assuming the return flight is on time. Maybe Btenny’s friends have a key to that dealer’s lot?

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 am

I'm 35 miles from the airport and now Uber/Lyft are both now cheaper than even the economy lot at the airport.
I also find them more convenient - if I'm tired after long flights or decide to have a few drinks on the flight home its no worries since I'm not driving.
The suburbs I live in have limited Lyft/Uber drivers but prescheduling a ride (using Lyft) seems to work well most of the time.

My other travel trips would revolve more about "experience" than trying to be overly frugal so not sure they would be what you are looking for in this thread. Life is too short and if I'm flying halfway around the world to experience a new place and culture I don't mind paying a little more for a better experience.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 am
I'm 35 miles from the airport and now Uber/Lyft are both now cheaper than even the economy lot at the airport.

Ha. I live 7 miles from the airport, and it is cheaper to drive and park than use Uber, for any trip under 2 weeks.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 am

StandingRock wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am
DaftInvestor wrote:

Ha. I live 7 miles from the airport, and it is cheaper to drive and park than use Uber, for any trip under 2 weeks.
I'm guessing your airport doesn't charge $38 per day for parking :)

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:38 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:36 am
StandingRock wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am
DaftInvestor wrote:

I'm guessing your airport doesn't charge $38 per day for parking :)
Nope, I wouldn't live anywhere like that, most likely ever.

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 am

We have one of our kids drop us at the airport, it is not like they haven't been given rides over the years right? We Uber home for $19.00. $110.00 savings on our last trip.
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.

brianH

Post by brianH » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:14 am

The Philadelphia airport, surprisingly considering how many things it sucks at, gets this right. The long-term lot is only $11/day (all taxes included), and the bus to take you there comes frequently, 24/7, and isn't typically filled. I've done the off-site economy lots, and they don't usually work out to being any cheaper due to all the hidden taxes+fees. Plus, you end up waiting for the specific shuttle and have to call them to arrange the pickup. The Philly PD also patrols the LTP lot with regularity, where you're taking your chances at Bob's Discount Parking.

Uber/Lyft is about $30-$50 one way from my place to the airport, so it rarely works out cheaper to do that unless you're gone for weeks.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 am

Covered Economy parking at Memphis airport is only $6 a day and an easy, covered walk from the terminal. Off site parking is at best only $1-2 a day less. But we often leave for 1-3 weeks, and Lyft is still cheaper and more relaxing.
Last edited by neilpilot on Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:04 am

Nate79 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:55 pm
I always use 3rd party parking services where I can reserve ahead of time to have zero worry about having an available spot.
+1
I recently started using an offsite parking lot. With a coupon (so far always available in Val-Pak), an uncovered space is $2/day cheaper than than the airports long-term parking. (Covered spaces are approx. the same price as the airport LT lot).

When I scanned the QR code from my reservation, the attendant pointed me to a particular section of the lot. I pulled in a space and before I could get out of my car the shuttle bus had pulled behind my car and the driver was off the bus to help me with my luggage. When I returned home (at 10 pm due to flight delays :annoyed) it was really nice to be driven directly to my car.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:19 pm

My friends use the Reno airport and live in Tahoe. So it is a 40 mile drive to the airport. They take long trips so parking is expensive. They could take a community shuttle van but that has issues and is not cheap and only runs until 6 PM or so. So not a good option. The Lexus dealer is close to the airport and has a giant dirt lot next door. So parking there is easy. I do know they really brag about the dealer and the good prices and good service. I do know Reno airport parking is only $10 or so per day and is walking distance so still a good deal. I suspect they use that method for short trips.

Good Luck

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:53 pm

ON a side note about a long true story. Has anyone else lost their car in remote parking when traveling?

My wife and I went to England and Europe 2 years ago for 4 weeks. We left Tahoe by car and drove to the Oakland airport for low cost over seas travel. We reserved and paid in advance for off airport parking and shuttle to the airport.

When we departed we parked and shuttled to the airport with no issues. We got a receipt for the parking and a small map for where it was located. We left.

We had a blast overseas and visited our kids and saw lots of stuff. Traveling home was hard. It was a 20 hour adventure with car to train to subway to airport to off airport parking. Well the last leg was crazy. WE LOST the parking papers to tell us where we parked and the name of the parking garage. So there we stood at Oakland baggage claim with no idea where to go. We were totally tired and could not find the parking company name or any paperwork. We searched our luggage but found nothing. We were screwed. We talked to the Skycaps and they told us names of some of the parking places. Nothing rang a bell after 45 minutes. We were getting desperate.

So we decided to get on a shuttle and let them take us to their lots and see if we recognized anything. Lucky for us we thought the RED and WHITE buses were familiar. That bus took us right to a lot that was also familiar. And then our car was right near the front. So we unloaded and got into our car totally relieved. BUT trouble was not finished with us. We had no parking receipt to prove how long we were parked or that we paid a low price in advance. So we set at the checkout booth. The lady was nice but wanted $100 as the fee for no receipt cars. So we had to get her to call headquarters were they do the internet pay in advance stuff. That took about 20 minutes and some phone calls and lots of discussion before they agreed we did not owe for parking. But they let us go.

But now we had to drive 5 hours to home. So we drove about 10 miles and got a motel for the night. But we were home.

SO BEWARE and keep track of those off airport parking papers........

Good Luck.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:50 pm

fourwaystreet wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 am
We have one of our kids drop us at the airport, it is not like they haven't been given rides over the years right? We Uber home for $19.00. $110.00 savings on our last trip.
Did it save you $19 or $110? It's odd that it costs you 5.5x as much to uber to the airport as to uber home from the airport.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:04 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:49 pm
lomarica01 wrote:

I just take a train to the airport terminal and pay $4-6 each way. Sounds reasonable enough, and price doesn’t increase if trip is long.
We do this virtually every single time. I can't remember the last time we drove to or from the airport, and we both travel for work quite a bit.

Annoying story of the day: my wife's 94yr old grandfather sent my in-laws money to buy the family (in-laws, my wife and her 3 siblings) tickets to come visit him in Minnesota. In order to pocket some of the money his dad sent him, my FIL purchased tickets for a flight next Thursday...at 4:30am. Obviously the train doesn't run that early. We share a car, so I have to wake up at 2:30am and get the kids in the car to take my wife to the airport, on a work day. We even asked if my wife could just sleep the night at their (in-laws house) and they could take her, but somehow there isn't room for a 3rd person in their Nissan Altima.

brianH

Post by brianH » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:08 pm

btenny wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:53 pm
ON a side note about a long true story. Has anyone else lost their car in remote parking when traveling?
I usually try to park right near one of the lightpoles with the lot letter/number code sign on it, and snap a picture of the sign with my phone before I hop on the bus. The photo gets synced to Google Photos automatically, so I could always pull it up on anything with a internet connection if I lost my phone. I always leave the lot gate ticket in the glovebox, because I'm not going to need it during the trip.

I mostly have my favorite section at the lot that I park at anyway, but this is a good procedure if you're using a new lot.