Grill Mat

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
elainet7

Grill Mat

Post by elainet7 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:20 am

This is a mat you place on top of the grill to cook on; be it electric or propane
The food cooks great and its easy to clean
You can buy it at most retailers; mine is by Yoshi
Obviously lots of grill clean ups are avoided
The price is minimal
You will not be disappointed

bottlecap

Re: Grill Mat

Post by bottlecap » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:52 am

I use them for shrimp, so they don’t fall through the grates.

I don’t think the are particularly easy to clean, however.

They also can't be safely used for anything more than medium heat. Mostly good for shrimp and vegetables.

JT

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:45 am

I have a set as well, great for vegis and other stuff that falls through the grill grates. Not so good for leaving grill marks on food.

Their use is actually more cleanup not less. Without grill mats cleanup is letting the grill burn off any food and using a grill brush. With the mats you must allow them to cool, then take them inside and clean both side by hand with the scrubbie sponge, then dry and store....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:44 am

SimonJester wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:45 am
Their use is actually more cleanup not less.
Agree, they are a greasy mess when done.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:46 am

Why is this better than aluminum foil?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:33 pm

FYI - This thread was temporarily removed for moderator review. The discussion is on-topic as a consumer issue. See: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:49 pm

LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:46 am
Aluminum foil rips when you try to flip a burger, fish, veggies, etc. The grill mats do not. I get them from Costco and wash them in the dishwasher. Use them 1-2x a week. Makes grilling super easy when clean up is quick.

Topic Author
elainet7

Post by elainet7 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:08 pm

exactly no clean up of grates nor inside of grill

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:18 am

mervinj7 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:49 pm
LawyersGunsAndMoney wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:46 am
Aluminum foil rips when you try to flip a burger, fish, veggies, etc. The grill mats do not. I get them from Costco and wash them in the dishwasher. Use them 1-2x a week. Makes grilling super easy when clean up is quick.
Also the grill mats have little holes to allow grease and liquids to flow through, plus they are re usable. If you are going to grill asparagus its a must to keep them buggers from falling through the grates...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 am

I only clean my grill once a year. It seems if I buy these I am only adding another item to clean. Do they somehow add flavor to the food? I don't get it.
I understand the point about keeping smaller vegetables/etc. from falling through though, but other than this - don't see the piont.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:38 am

I give the grates a quick scrub with a brush after it gets hot and that is all I do to clean my grill. For veggies and seafood, I rip off a sheet of heavy duty tinfoil which doesn't rip and can be disposed of as I walk inside with my plateful of grilled things. It eliminates having to come back out and spend time cleaning up things after having eaten a great meal.

meercatter

Post by meercatter » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:06 am

This looks useful but I noticed it’s made of plastic. My wife is very much against cooking with plastic materials (even nonstick pans), so this would be a no-go for me :) have you looked at the stainless steel grill baskets?

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 am

I have been looking at grill mats and was glad to see someone started this discussion. Problem for me is the bulk of my grilling starts out with a pre-heat to 550 so it looks like grill mats are out for me. Even if I am doing some lower temp cooking like veggies I think heavy duty foil might be a better option. If you need drainage poke a hole in it.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:05 am

I like using my cast iron pan or griddle for these applications. What's the benefit of a mat over a big chunk of solid iron?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:09 pm

I use my flat top grill (basically a giant direct-fired griddle) for anything that isn't going on the grates of my charcoal grill. Does a fantastic job, has a ridiculous amount of space (600+ square inches), and cleans up in <10 seconds with just a basic scraper.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:14 pm

You can get stainless steel grilling trays for the small stuff if you want. I just let the raccoons clean the grill and then burn it off with the next fire.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:00 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:52 am
I use them for shrimp, so they don’t fall through the grates.

I don’t think the are particularly easy to clean, however.

They also can't be safely used for anything more than medium heat. Mostly good for shrimp and vegetables.

JT
I only use my grill matt for cooking fish that has been skinned. Meat is usually directly on the grill; with shrimp I use skewers; and with veg, I have a veggie basket. For skinned fish, it helps to keep things from falling apart, or at least containing things if things do fall apart. I haven't figured out a way today to clean it in the dishwasher. So, it's still handwash and air dry. At least it's slippery enough that nothing much sticks to it, but it's still a bit unwieldy in the sink.

shans2000

Post by shans2000 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Check the temperature ratings of these grill mats. They deteriorate if you go over the temperature and its not healthy as they leach plastic at high temp. I have stopped using them because of this reason.

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:35 pm

open_circuit wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:05 am
I like using my cast iron pan or griddle for these applications. What's the benefit of a mat over a big chunk of solid iron?
Agreed. Get a La Plancha cast iron pan which fits your grill. Will almost never use regular grill again. Makes great steak and burgers without drying out, same for salmon and other fish. Good luck.

psy1

Post by psy1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:14 am

Grill mats are mostly useless for grilling. They are fine for roasting but they prevent the fire from touching the food which is kind of the point of grilling. Yes, they save a mess but that is why you grill outside in the first place. There are $1 stainless steel mesh sheets that will keep veggies and shrimp from falling through the grate while still allowing the food to grill. Grill mats basically steam or boil what is on top of them like a pan would. Cast iron is better because it can get hotter but most of the time is unnecessary for something like shrimp or veggies on the grill.

One time that I do like grill mats is when traveling. Sometimes grills at airbnb's or cabins are completely trashed and flare ups are impossible to manage. For that, a grill mat can save the day and at least allow for some edible food.

wilked

Post by wilked » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:12 am

Agreed, these are not useful. Besides their limitations noted above they are mostly trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 am

psy1 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:14 am
They are fine for roasting but they prevent the fire from touching the food which is kind of the point of grilling.
Fire should not really be touching your food. Momentary flare ups are one thing, but not desirable.

Heat cooks your food, not fire. Fire blackens and burns, which is not healthy and doesn't taste good. Be safe!

JT

psy1

Post by psy1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 am

Yes, I understand that and did not state my point well. Setting fire to food will burn it, not grill it. But to grill, the heat must reach the food directly and that will lead to some charring. The grill mats are a barrier to grilling.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:55 am

i use a metal veggie basket.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 am

Grill Mat
Been using them several years.
Fantastic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KU ... UTF8&psc=1

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:41 pm

Interesting as I have never used one.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Get yourself a griddle. Blackstone or Camp Chef. You will love either.

donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:57 pm

Have used them for years. I think 5 ran like 10-15$.

I credit them with saving me a lot of time and a lot of money in extending the life of my grill. Some people are mentioning the cleaning of them but I've had good luck. I use dish soap and a sponge in the sink and it takes about 1 minute to clean. The ones I have are dishwasher safe as well but I don't even waste the space in the dishwasher.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:57 pm

^^ ditto. ^^

Switched this year from a grill to a Camp Chef flat top griddle. Much more versatile and fun to cook on.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Dontwasteit wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:51 pm
Get yourself a griddle. Blackstone or Camp Chef. You will love either.
Yep. Bought myself a 36” Camp Chef Flat Top Grill last year, and within a week went back to buy a 17” Blackstone griddle and a carrying bag so we can take it on vacation.