(Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kjvmartin

(Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:47 pm

After thorough research and two test drives, I bought a 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid for my 90-120 minutes of daily commuting. My way of avoiding any potential oil dilution concerns and still getting a reputable Honda.

My automotive ownership history goes: '89 Dodge Ram, '90 Compact Isuzu, Impala, Mustang, Mazda6, Mazda6, Equinox, and now the Accord. I've never owned an uncomfortable vehicle till now.

I knew the Equinox to Accord would be an adjustment, but at 1500 miles I am torn between seeing an orthopedist and selling the vehicle at a loss. The car was just fine for the short test drives, but I have been in various forms of pain ever since the first day I commuted in it. It fades by Sunday night and starts up again Monday morning. At issue seems to be the following - I have a years old stress fracture in my foot that can flair up when I exercise really hard. I seem to get the same effect from driving in this car. The seat padding is very hard/thin. I get pain in that area. It's also difficult for me to find a knee rest during cruise control (which is excellent with stop and go capability). The seating position is very low, so my knees have an unusual angle.

Just a word of advice: If you're in the market for an Accord, spend 30 minutes in the drivers seat before signing on the line.

jebmke

Re: (Tall) Buyer Beware: Honda Accord.

Post by jebmke » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:54 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:47 pm
Just a word of advice: If you're in the market for an Accord, spend 30 minutes in the drivers seat before signing on the line.
I have posted this advice a couple of times. We test drove an Accord and Camry. For me, the Accord seats were extremely uncomfortable and I knew I wouldn't last 30 minutes. That isn't to say that the Accord is a bad car. Like shoes, cars can have different fits for different people.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 pm

I guess you should ask your orthopedist what car your buying him and get it as well ?

Between my kid and wife seeing ours 2 or 3 times a week he's driving a 2018 Cadillac CT6.

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:02 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:54 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
I have posted this advice a couple of times. We test drove an Accord and Camry. For me, the Accord seats were extremely uncomfortable and I knew I wouldn't last 30 minutes. That isn't to say that the Accord is a bad car. Like shoes, cars can have different fits for different people.
Of course, and to be fair the car is a marvel of engineering otherwise. Hybrid is seamless, torque, economy. It can be fun and good on gas at the same time or super good on gas if you drive it light. It’s just a miserable seat.

investor4life

Post by investor4life » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:09 pm

Perhaps an aftermarket seat cushion, designed for long drives, might help?

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:12 pm

investor4life wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:09 pm
I do not have much clearance to raise the seat. It’s fine at the lowest position, but going up an inch or two would put me on the ceiling. That’s typical for every car I’ve driven. Seat down and then back.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 pm

I am tall and had a similar problem in a new Camry. Only lost a few hundred dollars getting out of it which I chalked up to a failure on my part to really research the size of the car relative to someone like me

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:22 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 pm
I am tall and had a similar problem in a new Camry. Only lost a few hundred dollars getting out of it which I chalked up to a failure on my part to really research the size of the car relative to someone like me
My thinking was “if I had a mustang before...” but cars have really changed in the past few years. Seat ergonomics have regressed for various reasons.

nps

Post by nps » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm

I had a similar problem with the new Accord. Ceiling too low even on lowest seat setting. Anything but LX or Sport 1.5 takes a big chunk out of headroom with the non-optional sunroof.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:34 pm

This is a reason I'm seriously considering Carvana for my next car. You get a week to return it if you aren't liking it, so you have a better chance of identifying issues like this.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:34 pm

This is a reason I'm seriously considering Carvana for my next car. You get a week to return it if you aren't liking it, so you have a better chance of identifying issues like this.

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm

nps wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 pm
I had a similar problem with the new Accord. Ceiling too low even on lowest seat setting. Anything but LX or Sport 1.5 takes a big chunk out of headroom with the non-optional sunroof.
Indeed, the sunroof is not a plus for me.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:39 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Good advice, but it applies for any car - not just Accords.

The last time I was in the market for a sedan, I spent more than 30 minutes in both an Accord and a Camry. For me, for that model year, the Accord was far more comfortable.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:39 pm

My SO owns an Accord, and had the seats modified to something less than torture chamber levels of discomfort. Have a seat full blown custom made would probably be less money than the beating you'll take on a sell and a buy of a nearly new car. Plus that way you can have a purple velvet seat or whatever would match your hat.

Alan S.

Post by Alan S. » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:47 pm

If you are compressed vertically by your vehicle, traveling by air occasionally might offset your problems because plane seating will compress you horizontally. These effects may offset each other.

Yes, am joking. :twisted:

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:51 pm

It is tough to be tall, I guess.

My problem is usually the opposite. Both Accord and Camry are too big for me even though I have driven both and currently own a Camry.

My solution is to add a cushion to the bottom and the back. Not the most comfortable solution but it does the job without having to incur medical expenses.

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:54 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm
nps wrote:
You're looking at this all wrong. You need to raise the seat to the highest position and then stick your head out of the sunroof. Sorry, I have no advice for when it rains. :P

The good thing about an accord is, if you do want to get out of it, you won't be as bad off as selling a car that depreciates more rapidly. If you can't fix the seat to your liking, I would recommend you sell it and try a different car. The few hundred dollars (maybe a few thousand?) loss is worth the pain relief. Also, I'll save you a little time and recommend you skip the civic.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:54 pm

How tall are you?

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:54 pm
How tall are you?
6'4 or 1.93m for our non-USA Bogleheads.

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:38 pm

CppCoder wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:36 pm
nps wrote:
You're looking at this all wrong. You need to raise the seat to the highest position and then stick your head out of the sunroof. Sorry, I have no advice for when it rains. :P

The good thing about an accord is, if you do want to get out of it, you won't be as bad off as selling a car that depreciates more rapidly. If you can't fix the seat to your liking, I would recommend you sell it and try a different car. The few hundred dollars (maybe a few thousand?) loss is worth the pain relief. Also, I'll save you a little time and recommend you skip the civic.
That's the saving grace. I pressed hard on the deal and my loss isn't nearly as bad as I expected.

I'm going back to a Crossover. Probably a Tucson or used CR-V.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:37 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
How tall are you?
6'4 or 1.93m for our non-USA Bogleheads.
It’s certainly nice to be an average 5’10” as everything is built for me. Good luck finding a more suitable car!

lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:58 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:39 pm
kjvmartin wrote:
Good advice, but it applies for any car - not just Accords.

The last time I was in the market for a sedan, I spent more than 30 minutes in both an Accord and a Camry. For me, for that model year, the Accord was far more comfortable.
I have the opposite problem as the OP. I am short and I found that many car seats (especially on the passenger side) hurt my back after 20 minutes (and I don't have back problems). When DH and I test drove cars, he'd drive for at least 20 minutes while I sat in the passenger seat. We ruled out a lot of cars doing that. We ended up with a compact, luxury crossover with the passenger seat configured exactly the same as the driver's seat; it never bothers my back.

I second the idea of test driving for a longer period of time. When you think you've found your car, ask to take it home for a weekend. Dealerships are more than willing to do that to make a sale.

CppCoder

Post by CppCoder » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:00 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:38 pm
That's the saving grace. I pressed hard on the deal and my loss isn't nearly as bad as I expected.

I'm going back to a Crossover. Probably a Tucson or used CR-V.
We've owned a civic, accord, CR-V, and Odyssey. If the accord is too small, I wouldn't recommend the CR-V. The pilot would probably work for you. Also, Honda reintroduced the passport this year, and that might be an option if you want something big enough for you but not as big as the pilot. That said, it might not only be the size, it might just be the seats, themselves. Honda seats are kind of hard, and they tend to reuse a lot across their different cars. It might be that the pilot gives you more room but has the same uncomfortable seat.

As much as I like Hondas, I'd recommend you look at a different brand. Maybe the Hyundai will suit you better. If you want to stay in a sedan, you could try a Chrysler 300. I once had a high end one as a rental, and it literally felt like driving a barcalounger down the road. I don't think I'd want to own a Chrysler, but that thing was surprisingly comfortable for that one week.

Also, before you give up on the accord, if you have a leather trim level, try the seat warmer. Those are good not only for warming you, but also for loosening the muscles in your back. I find that it helps a lot on long drives in the Odyssey (anything over an hour) and will use the warmer on a long drive even in the Texas summer.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Sounds like no matter what your next car is you should do an extended test drive or find it in a car rental for a few days to make sure it is comfortable.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 pm

I have an 2017 Accord, curious how tall are you talking about? I’m above average height though not a giant by any means (slightly taller than 6’1”). The main problem I found was the headrest. It angles forward in a way I find very uncomfortable, so I actually turned the headrest backwards and find it much better. I could certainly see if I was like 6’4” or 6’5” it could be a problem, but I don’t seem to have a problem with head clearance or seat height , not like my previous car (Lexus IS 350).

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:59 pm

decapod10 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 pm
I have an 2017 Accord, curious how tall are you talking about? I’m above average height though not a giant by any means (slightly taller than 6’1”). The main problem I found was the headrest. It angles forward in a way I find very uncomfortable, so I actually turned the headrest backwards and find it much better. I could certainly see if I was like 6’4” or 6’5” it could be a problem, but I don’t seem to have a problem with head clearance or seat height , not like my previous car (Lexus IS 350).
I'm 6'4. The headrest does not bother, for whatever reason. It's the actual seat of the seat. There was a redesign in 2018. They really went for the low seating design and used a more rigid cushion. My neighbor parks right next to me in a prior generation accord and the car is visibly lower and the seat inside the car is lower as well. I gave it a sat and it felt like an entirely different car.

Compound

Post by Compound » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:40 pm

kjvmartin wrote:

My automotive ownership history goes: '89 Dodge Ram, '90 Compact Isuzu, Impala, Mustang, Mazda6, Mazda6, Equinox, and now the Accord. I've never owned an uncomfortable vehicle till now.
Similar stature here. Sorry to hear your Accord isn’t working out. Amazing how different the fit can be for different people! I have a 2018 Accord Sport and love the fit! Trims without sunroof (hence the sport trim) are a must for me.

I’m amazed you fit into the Mazda 6 and Mustang. Both were terrible fits for me when I went to dealers for test drives/sits (for those not as vertically challenged/gifted, what I mean by test sit is exactly what it sounds like. I’ve gone to dealerships with the goal of sitting in every model they have, simply to see if I can fit comfortably. Unfortunately the answer is usually no. :( )

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:44 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:59 pm
decapod10 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:53 pm
I'm 6'4. The headrest does not bother, for whatever reason. It's the actual seat of the seat. There was a redesign in 2018. They really went for the low seating design and used a more rigid cushion. My neighbor parks right next to me in a prior generation accord and the car is visibly lower and the seat inside the car is lower as well. I gave it a sat and it felt like an entirely different car.
Apologize for the duplicate question, I saw you answered the question farther up the post. Also sorry it didn't work out, but I think you're making the right decision to sell it. It's not worth the health problems for sure, and you shouldn't take too much of a hit. Got to imagine people will pay good money for an Accord with 1500 miles on it.

Topic Author
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:06 pm

Compound wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:40 pm
kjvmartin wrote:

Similar stature here. Sorry to hear your Accord isn’t working out. Amazing how different the fit can be for different people! I have a 2018 Accord Sport and love the fit! Trims without sunroof (hence the sport trim) are a must for me.

I’m amazed you fit into the Mazda 6 and Mustang. Both were terrible fits for me when I went to dealers for test drives/sits (for those not as vertically challenged/gifted, what I mean by test sit is exactly what it sounds like. I’ve gone to dealerships with the goal of sitting in every model they have, simply to see if I can fit comfortably. Unfortunately the answer is usually no. :( )
We are talking 2005-2011 or so model years. Cars were different and I think seats were too. My frame was also a bit more flexible in my youth. Not sure, but they were fine for me for years.

Diligent Hands

Post by Diligent Hands » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:06 am

I am 6'4" and the most comfortable car I have ever owned is my 2006 Corvette. I have taken multiple 1000 mile trips, 15+ hours at a time only stopping for gas and coffee. A Corvette is probably not on your radar screen, but they can be fun and comfortable commuting cars. I commuted 85 miles round trip for years in Corvettes. 24 mpg in the city and 29 - 30mpg on trips at 75 mph.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:40 am

Trade it in for a comfy car. Just make sure you test drive the next one. Carmax has a multi-day return policy. Dealers should too I would think.

Try: Acura, Lexus, Genesis, Ford. Can find good deals on used luxury cars.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:06 am

We're thinking about buying a Honda CRV - any tall people have similar issues?

smectym

Post by smectym » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:25 am

nps wrote:
Even I did notice the low ceiling though I’m not tall at 5’11”. It doesn’t actually affect me and I like the car but if I were a couple of inches taller I wander. If you’re 5’8” I wouldn’t worry about it, if you’re 6’3” or taller look elsewhere

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:10 am

kjvmartin wrote:
I agree. A friend mentioned something similar with Subarus. I am always for a longer term test drive, either through dealership or borrowing the car from a friend or co worker for a weekend. I am sorry you have to go through this with a new car.

HeadHunter

Post by HeadHunter » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:51 am

6'3" and find my wife's 2019 Accord Touring to be extremely comfortable!!!! GREAT car, love the 2.0T engine, ride and handling and pretty much everything about the car. I drive a Mercedes that cost triple what the Accord cost and honestly prefer driving the Honda. And my kids can sit behind me in the back seat with loads of legroom despite me having the seat all the way back.

I would also describe the seat as thickly padded, not thin at all!!!!!!

staustin

Post by staustin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:14 am

Wife and I previously owned a jetta TDI that was requred to be repurchased. I still miss that car very much. Unbelievable combination of performance, gas mileage and comfort. In any case, moved from that vehicle to a 2014 honda accord. And, I immediately noticed the difference. The VW seat and driving position was much much more comfortable. Honda's are great vehicles obviously but the seats overall are a miss. I like suggestion of an aftermarket seat cushion..

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:30 am

I'm just a hair under 6'2" and got a Civic as a commuter for my long daily drives. The seats stink! There's about a 1 hour limit where that's the max I can be comfortable in the driver's seat. After that, it's just suck it up until the drive is over.

Space wise, the car is fine. I don't feel cramped and with the back seat folded forward the Civic is a surprisingly good bike hauler. But, Honda really seems to have cheaped out on the seats in recent years.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:33 am

I have a 2016 Honda Accord (previously had another Accord for 11 years).
In both cars, the seats are just "OK" when the car is new.
Now, after a few years, the seat is not comfortable at all...my wife is also unhappy with the lack of comfort of the seat.

We are looking around for another more comfortable vehicle....may change from Honda.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 am

I'm 6'5" - currently drive an old 2002 Lexus RX300 that has plenty of room.

Prior to that I had a 1996 4-Runner which, despite having ample legroom, had the most uncomfortable seat that I've ever experienced anywhere (including cars, budget airlines, wooden benches, and amusement park rides).

That said, I did love that car because the retractable rear window was the single most useful thing ever.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:47 am

Honda driver here since 1988 until 2017. 6'1" tall.
In 2017 I test drove an Accord, a Camry, and a Hyundai Elantra Limited (and others), and wound up buying the Hyundai, partly because I found the seat more comfortable.
It's not great- I couldn't find a car in that class that had seats nearly as comfy as I remember my 1988 Accord being, but then again, I had a 31 year younger body in 1988 than I do now. None of them are very comfortable. But, test-driving, IMHO, it was at least a small improvement over the Accord and Camry seats.
I don't know how much of the decline in auto seat comfort for me is a function of engineering, and how much is a function of aging.
"Leg room" used to be the big issue for me. These days most cars I have driven seem to have ample leg room- much more than I recall in the "olden days". Now the limiting factor seems to be back comfort.
I do find a higher seat position to be more comfortable than a lower one,
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funktor

Post by funktor » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:48 am

Just as a counterpoint, I'm also 6'4 and my 2012 Honda Accord is spacious and comfortable for me. I have the leather seats, not sure if there is a difference in comfort there.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:57 am

Had to read this as I’m 6’7. I clearly recall that the world changed as I grew past 6’4. Even though it was 46 years ago. I know instantly if a car will be comfortable, let alone safe to drive. But I sympathize with you since you have more options.
Last edited by Murgatroyd on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ohai

Post by ohai » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:58 am

I've always found Honda seats to be unsupportive in the upper butt/lower back and thigh areas. Toyota is ok. Nissan is probably the best in class actually. I'm normal height, not like OP. So maybe, it is the seats themselves and not the person.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 am

Tough problem
I know
6 foot 4 inches here
Pricey and bad mileage but if $$ not a strong consideration I love the Lexus GX 460 SUV. (The large one).

Benefit of being retired I suppose for us .... Drove Honda and Infinity sedans up to 130k miles each back in the day. Wasn’t going to spend more for a SUV than I did on our first house… Until I did 😃

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 am

I agree. Also tall and find the Accord to be incredibly uncomfortable. Actually called our Accord the “torture chamber”. If you are tall the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima are the most roomy with comfortable seats and seating positions.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:43 am

The infamous CSUV has a hidden advantage as we grow older, which is a better upright seating position and ease of entry and exit than sedans that cause us to be stretched out horizontally. I found out a long time ago that I do better raising the seat as much as possible and sitting closer to the pedals. I am not a race or sports car driver and most of us aren't either. I resisted SUVs for a long time but at my last purchase the case became compelling.

vshun

Post by vshun » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:58 am

investor4life wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:09 pm
Precisely what I do. Any drive longer than 2 hours I would use a cushion. If I forget it gets somewhat uncomfortable on long drives.
Disagree on beware - think its way better car as alternatives. When I was buying it, Hybrid did not exist so I went with 1.5T and after 20K miles I average more than 37 mpg in mixed suburban DC driving, so not much regret for hybrid. Handling is superb and engine way better than Outback I had prior.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:03 am

Murgatroyd wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:57 am
Had to read this as I’m 6’7. I clearly recall that the world changed as I grew past 6’4. Even though it was 46 years ago. I know instantly if a car will be comfortable, let alone safe to drive. But I sympathize with you since you have more options.
I’m 6’6” and have a greater percentage of my height in my torso than legs. There are VERY FEW modern cars that I fit in comfortably. I recently sat in one of the new Lexus LS sedans and, while the low roofline might look fashionable, it kills headroom. Another item is that a sunroof, along with its’ mechanism, steals about 1” to 1.5” headroom from the inside of a car. It’s sad that you can’t get a car without a sunroof, unless you want to base level model. I recently sat in a new Honda Accord and could not get comfortable, no matter what I did - there is just no headroom. Believe it or not, the Porsche 911 has great headroom and legroom for 2 occupants - the rear seats are unusable.

just1question

Post by just1question » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:27 am

Try 2019 Nissan Altima for more room and comfort, if you want to stay with a sedan. I don't know much about luxury class, e.g., acura, lexus, infiniti, benz, etc. The Murano is a crossover, but has the most comfortable seats I've sat in. I didn't like the new Accord. Besides uncomfortable and tight, too low to the ground.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:15 pm

I had the same problems when I first bought my Accord. (Likely won't buy another, although there is a lot to like about the car)

My mods:
- Raised the seat to the highest position and applied some backward tilt. This gets it to feel about the same as the seat in my truck, a more upright posture. My thighs now have support!
- Removed about 90% of the foam padding under the left foot rest. I swear, that thing must have been 10 inches thick and prevented me from stretching my left leg! (I have the stick shift version) I left the rubber pad attached to the carpeting but the foam block is mostly gone. Had to pull up the carpeting to see it.
- Bend the headrest back. Clamped it in a vice with some wood blocks and used a long pipe bend the metal posts. Otherwise the headrest pokes 'forward' and doesn't allow my neck to be in a natural positions. (German cars seem to have this figured out, my wife's Volvo is very comfortable as was a rental BMW. )