Motion blur with new TV while watching sports

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Motion blur with new TV while watching sports

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:34 am

I have this TV - https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions- ... u7000fxza/ with a motion rate of 120. I stream Spectrum and notice blur during sports , especially on the soccer ball or football. I'm guessing it's because I'm streaming the tv via the Spectrum app but my download speed is 212 mbps so not that slow.

It's not a huge deal but would be nice if I could get ride of the motion blur on the ball. Anyone experience similar issues?

randomguy

Re: Motion blur with new TV while watching sports

Post by randomguy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:03 am

You have a 60 hz tv with a slow response screen so you are going to have some more noticeable motion blur than on the couple of hundred dollar more sets. What you can do is check to see if there is a sport mode or the like which is optimized for fast content (turns on things like black frame insertion) or tweak with the individual vidoe options and see if there is a mode that you like better.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:17 am

If you havent done so, play with the Picture Mode as well as Picture Settings. In settings go to, Picture- Expert, and disable or customize Auto Motion , or whatever it's called now. It takes some fiddling but a reasonable picture can be obtained. I was just watching the Womans Soccer Finals on my Samsung and was only seeing some blur on extreme close ups.
Last edited by bob60014 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:18 am

try a lower resolution, maybe 720p.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:34 am

Can also be an issue with the encoding pipeline from your streaming provider. Do you have a high-quality source -- e.g., a top-tier sports match delivered over cable or sat, or a DVD movie with a lot of action -- that you can compare it to?

S

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:50 am

nordsteve wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:34 am
Can also be an issue with the encoding pipeline from your streaming provider. Do you have a high-quality source -- e.g., a top-tier sports match delivered over cable or sat, or a DVD movie with a lot of action -- that you can compare it to?
I agree, I would check the source first. I can get motion blur even on my plasma TV, and it is always the source causing the problem.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:56 pm

Thanks all. I don't see an option for sports mode or reducing it to 720p. I also don't have a direct feed to a DVD player, cable or sat. YouTube also seems to have a decent amount of motion blur too. I am still guessing it is mostly due to the source.
bob60014 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:17 am
If you havent done so, play with the Picture Mode as well as Picture Settings. In settings go to, Picture- Expert, and disable or customize Auto Motion , or whatever it's called now. It takes some fiddling but a reasonable picture can be obtained. I was just watching the Womans Soccer Finals on my Samsung and was only seeing some blur on extreme close ups.
I tried this and didn't notice a big difference. I tried putting judder reduction to 10 and turning on LED clear motion on and that may have helped a bit. The soccer match is now over but I'll play around with it more the next time I'm watching sports and am not happy with the picture.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:43 pm

I tried putting judder reduction to 10 and turning on LED clear motion on and that may have helped a bit.
Judder reduction shouldn’t have any effect. It applies, usually, to a choppiness caused by converting 24fps film to 60Hz video. Since 60 is not an even multiple of 24, 1 frame is shown twice, then next frame is shown three times, then next frame twice, and so on. So, every other frame is visible for longer, which is perceived as judder. If your TV is 120, that’s an even multiple of 24, so no judder.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Problem with 120 tvs. 240 rate recommended for high speed sports viewing,

student

Post by student » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:00 pm
Interesting article here that says rates above 120 are fake numbers - https://www.cnet.com/news/beware-fake-1 ... on-4k-tvs/

I wonder if my 120 is a fake number too and the actual rate is 60
In sum:

There are only 60Hz and 120Hz TVs.
There are no 240Hz TVs anymore.
Anything higher than 120 is a fake number.
Since it takes more expensive hardware to increase a TV's true refresh rate, it's rare a budget TV will actually be 120Hz.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:21 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:59 pm
Housedoc wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:00 pm
Interesting article here that says rates above 120 are fake numbers - https://www.cnet.com/news/beware-fake-1 ... on-4k-tvs/

I wonder if my 120 is a fake number too and the actual rate is 60
In sum:

There are only 60Hz and 120Hz TVs.
There are no 240Hz TVs anymore.
Anything higher than 120 is a fake number.
Since it takes more expensive hardware to increase a TV's true refresh rate, it's rare a budget TV will actually be 120Hz.
You have a 60hz tv. If you had 120 one, the motion rate would be 240. See https://www.cnet.com/news/beware-fake-1 ... on-4k-tvs/

Post by 123 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:29 pm

You can test if it's Spectrum's doing (compression or whatever) by watching similar sports with an over-the-air signal from a major network. If you've got a reasonable over-the-air signal available (with an inexpensive indoor antenna) it can be a good test.

Cable and streaming services provide a lot of variety in sports and other programming but it's hard to beat the bandwidth provided by an uncompressed broadcast HDTV signal, it's like a fire hose.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:01 pm

123 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:29 pm
You can test if it's Spectrum's doing (compression or whatever) by watching similar sports with an over-the-air signal from a major network. If you've got a reasonable over-the-air signal available (with an inexpensive indoor antenna) it can be a good test.

Cable and streaming services provide a lot of variety in sports and other programming but it's hard to beat the bandwidth provided by an uncompressed broadcast HDTV signal, it's like a fire hose.
This! Spend 30 or 40 bucks on watch a sports event on broadcast TV.

As others have said, it is most likely the source, not the television.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

zanian

Post by zanian » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:18 pm

and whatever you do, turn off MOTION SMOOTHING (Clear Motion)or whatever it is called on your brand of TV. It is on by default. It makes movies look like soap operas. It is evil!

For sports you might also want to fiddle with these settings.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm

zanian wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:18 pm
and whatever you do, turn off MOTION SMOOTHING (Clear Motion)or whatever it is called on your brand of TV. It is on by default. It makes movies look like soap operas. It is evil!

For sports you might also want to fiddle with these settings.
Good to know! It only seems that way for some movies but it does look horrible.

wintermute

Post by wintermute » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Info on motion problems: https://www.blurbusters.com/

rj342

Post by rj342 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:28 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:03 am
You have a 60 hz tv with a slow response screen so you are going to have some more noticeable motion blur than on the couple of hundred dollar more sets. What you can do is check to see if there is a sport mode or the like which is optimized for fast content (turns on things like black frame insertion) or tweak with the individual vidoe options and see if there is a mode that you like better.
Or it may be called Gaming mode. Same thing, makes different quality tradeoffs in the image processing.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 pm

123 wrote:

This -- the local over the air network broadcast should almost always have less compression than over cable.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:36 pm

rj342 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 pm
123 wrote:

This -- the local over the air network broadcast should almost always have less compression than over cable.
I've tried this but unfortunately I don't get good reception with an antenna.

I'm still guessing the blur is due to the Spectrum App - https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/S ... d-p/153281

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/S ... d-p/156389

I don't watch a lot of tv but if it continues to be an annoyance, I may try YouTube TV for a month or so to compare when football season starts up.

pyld76

Post by pyld76 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:59 pm

I have Youtube TV and a Panasonic plasma TV (which don't suffer the same type of motion problems as slow refresh LED/OLED/LCD TVs do, although the 3;2 pulldown thing remains a thing). I get motion artifacts during certain live-action sports and scroll bars. I have Ubiquiti gear in my house, decent internet, and the devices in question are hardwired.

I would bet good money it's the source in your case.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:54 pm

pyld76 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:59 pm
I have Youtube TV and a Panasonic plasma TV (which don't suffer the same type of motion problems as slow refresh LED/OLED/LCD TVs do, although the 3;2 pulldown thing remains a thing). I get motion artifacts during certain live-action sports and scroll bars. I have Ubiquiti gear in my house, decent internet, and the devices in question are hardwired.

Good to know, thanks. I had a Panasonic plasma that I do miss at times. Great TV.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:54 pm
pyld76 wrote:

Good to know, thanks. I had a Panasonic plasma that I do miss at times. Great TV.
You should make ALL the settings changes recommended at this site, https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsu ... 0/settings.

I have an older Samsung UHD 4K tv, and made the similar settings adjustments on my model. You will see a vastly improved picture after making these adjustments.

-B

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Barsoom wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
pyld76 wrote:

You should make ALL the settings changes recommended at this site, https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsu ... 0/settings.

I have an older Samsung UHD 4K tv, and made the similar settings adjustments on my model. You will see a vastly improved picture after making these adjustments.

-B
Awesome, thanks! I made the adjustments. I tweaked the color settings to be more like natural (which I prefer) but it already seems a bit better

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:09 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 pm
Barsoom wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
pyld76 wrote:

-B
Awesome, thanks! I made the adjustments. I tweaked the color settings to be more like natural (which I prefer) but it already seems a bit better
Glad to hear it. Some of those settings are buried deep in the menus. I don't know what they do, but detailed white balance adjustments at the 10% increment level in the 20 point settings are the kind of thing I was looking for to calibrate my TV.

-B