Sofa or couch ( an6 difference) for new homeowners

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jackson12

Sofa or couch ( an6 difference) for new homeowners

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Our son and spouse just purchased their first home and plan to there for years . Their jobs are fairly stable...in their fields. They paid for the home without help and we don’t help them financially.

But both took a pay cut to get jobs they love, ones with good promotion possibilities ( unlike their old jobs) They are on a very tight budget and need a sofa. We’d like to assist them in the purchase, a housewarming gift ..

It’s been awhile since we purchased one. They’ve been searching at Habitat for Humanity Restore and on Craig’s List. No luck. Any recommendations for a decent sofa which could be replaced as their finances improve, within a few years? ?

02nz

Re: Sofa or couch ( an6 difference) for new homeowners

Post by 02nz » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:37 pm

For something semi-disposable, IKEA. There's a wide price range there - some of the pricier stuff is actually very good. But if you have the financial means, maybe gift them a nice sofa that won't need to be replaced in a few years? I have an armchair and a sleeper sofa from Room and Board, both have held up very well. A lot of companies have popped up in the past several years offering sofas online, check https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-sofa/

honestreader

Post by honestreader » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:48 pm

What's your budget for this gift?

I second 02nz that it might be nice to get them a long term piece if you have the finances for it. MIL got us a Crate and Barrel Davis couch when we bought our home and it's been great having something in the sweet spot that is nice enough for us to want to keep a long time but cheap enough we don't mind having our future-kids beat it up a bit. Relatively inexpensive as far as sofas go (~$1200 during their annual sales in August-ish), comfortable, can also be made into a sectional. We've only had ours for four years, but has held up well so far.

Dmanse02

Post by Dmanse02 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:54 pm

With 2 kids, we had “disposable” in mind as well for our couches. We got a nice set from Basset furniture that fit our eye without breaking the bank. Would recommend a couch that allowed you to flip both backrest and seat cushions.

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:59 pm

We got our kids a sofa from Burrow as a housewarming gift https://burrow.com/. They picked out the color, arms, legs. Our only gripe is that it arrived too quickly -- they were out of town and we had requested delayed shipping. It's decent quality and won't break the bank. Burrow has fairly frequent sales (in fact, they have one now), suggest you sign up for alerts.

MJS

Post by MJS » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Difference
You sit on a couch in most of North America and Australia. Tends to be more casual/family room.
You sit on a sofa in the United Kingdom and upscale furniture showrooms. Tends to be more formal/living room.
Much the same:
"settee, chesterfield, divan, davenport, lounge, canapé." Some regions assign very specific meanings to some of these terms, but then the next region over assigns another meaning to it -- or uses that term to mean something else.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 pm

If you are just looking for a standard three seater couch, no sectional and no reclining bits, there is a huge selection of these for less than $500 at all but the “fancy” furniture stores in my area. I was surprised when I went looking. I have contemplated using Wayfair and have had friends who were happy with their Wayfair purchases. But I do not know that I am comfortable with my ability to pick a couch from a internet photo.

If they want to look second hand a bit more, FaceBook Marketplace seems to have the better condition near new stuff more so than Craigslist.

I think a lot of these furniture stores are regional. What part of the country are you buying for?

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 pm
If you are just looking for a standard three seater couch, no sectional and no reclining bits, there is a huge selection of these for less than $500 at all but the “fancy” furniture stores in my area. I was surprised when I went looking. I have contemplated using Wayfair and have had friends who were happy with their Wayfair purchases. But I do not know that I am comfortable with my ability to pick a couch from a internet photo.

I think a lot of these furniture stores are regional. What part of the country are you buying for?
02nz wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:37 pm
For something semi-disposable, IKEA. There's a wide price range there - some of the pricier stuff is actually very good. But if you have the financial means, maybe gift them a nice sofa that won't need to be replaced in a few years? I have an armchair and a sleeper sofa from Room and Board, both have held up very well. A lot of companies have popped up in the past several years offering sofas online, check https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-sofa/
We’ve had very good experiences with Wayfair . We gutted our bathroom after nearly 30 years and during the remodel we purchased our vanity from Wayfair. I was a bit nervous but the reviews were great . It has stone counters, ( not marble, thank goodness, because it etches, learned that the hard way) plenty of storage, and we made sure the counter was higher than usual, as we’re older and the extra height has become very desirable.

Free shipping ...but I digress.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 pm

If they want to look second hand a bit more, FaceBook Marketplace seems to have the better condition near new stuff more so than Craigslist.

Midwest

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Many times the structure of the couch lasts a good long time but the upholstery gets too dirty and worn. Re-upholstering usually costs more than buying a new sofa/couch.

When I bought my condo six years ago, I bought a new sofa and chair and ottomans from Cost Plus World Market with removable, washable slipcovers using a 25% off coupon. By now, one of the cushions could probably be replaced with new foam on the inside, but the ability to wash the slipcover really helps a sofa to last longer. Someone spilled red wine on one of the ottomans; I just removed the cover, laundered it immediately, and it looked as good as new.
Last edited by LilyFleur on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arabesque

Post by Arabesque » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Fifteen years ago I bought a cheap Raymour and Flanagan loveseat. It shows no wear even after child abuse and three dogs. On the other hand my fancy Ethan Allen showed wear within two years. FWIW.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:45 pm

If MidWest is IN, IL , WI, MI check this out: https://www.mybobs.com/furniture/living ... as/c/sofas
Last edited by Katietsu on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:46 pm

estatesales.net and their zip code

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:45 pm
If MidWest is IN, IL , WI, MI check this out: https://www.mybobs.com/furniture/living ... as/c/sofas
That’s the general vicinity.

Topic Author
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Dmanse02 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:54 pm
With 2 kids, we had “disposable” in mind as well for our couches. We got a nice set from Basset furniture that fit our eye without breaking the bank. Would recommend a couch that allowed you to flip both backrest and seat cushions.
When our kids were small we purchased a sectional from Value City, assuming it would last till at least they were no longer toddlers. It lasted many more years. For the price it did far better than we expected. We couldn’t flip the cushions though. .

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:04 pm

What state are they in?

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:18 pm

We’ve had good luck with Macy’s furniture.

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:24 pm

Tell them to stay away from second hand stuff due to possible bed bugs (unless they personally know the household getting rid of the sofa).

We have Ikea sofas and love them because they use slip covers that can go in the wash. Kids spill a drink? No problem, throw the cover in the wash and it’s as good as new. Basement sectional sofa is about 10 years old an no issues. Upstairs living room sofa is about a year old and no issues.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Jackson12 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:28 pm
Our son and spouse just purchased their first home and plan to there for years . Their jobs are fairly stable...in their fields. They paid for the home without help and we don’t help them financially.

But both took a pay cut to get jobs they love, ones with good promotion possibilities ( unlike their old jobs) They are on a very tight budget and need a sofa. We’d like to assist them in the purchase, a housewarming gift ..

It’s been awhile since we purchased one. They’ve been searching at Habitat for Humanity Restore and on Craig’s List. No luck. Any recommendations for a decent sofa which could be replaced as their finances improve, within a few years? ?
How large is the room?
What budget?

Ikea has a higher end line of sectional leather sofas that give good value per dollar.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

leeks

Post by leeks » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:47 pm

6Pack wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:24 pm
We have Ikea sofas and love them because they use slip covers that can go in the wash. Kids spill a drink? No problem, throw the cover in the wash and it’s as good as new. Basement sectional sofa is about 10 years old an no issues. Upstairs living room sofa is about a year old and no issues.
+1 Ikea's slip cover feature makes so much sense for washability.

If you pick one out for them, I would get one that can be a guest bed (pullout or foldout, Ikea has a few styles including sectionals with sleeping components and of course other brands offer this). Except for huge homes with tons of bedrooms, I always think a couch that can't also be a bed is a wasted opportunity. It's nice to have enough sleeping options when large families come or multiple guests want to visit at the same time.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:52 pm

leeks wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:47 pm
6Pack wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:24 pm
+1 Ikea's slip cover feature makes so much sense for washability.

If you pick one out for them, I would get one that can be a guest bed (pullout or foldout, Ikea has a few styles including sectionals with sleeping components and of course other brands offer this). Except for huge homes with tons of bedrooms, I always think a couch that can't also be a bed is a wasted opportunity. It's nice to have enough sleeping options when large families come or multiple guests want to visit at the same time.
I owned a sleeper sofa. It was uncomfortable to sleep on (that horizontal bar) and extremely heavy to move. We got rid of it fairly quickly. However, I have slept quite comfortably on regular sofas and I do so rather regularly (watching my large TV in the living room, hahaha). We have overnight guests that find it quite comfortable as well.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:06 pm

See if your local Costco still has any in stock. We found it priced much lower than the quality level. Our couch has been superb.

It would be worth $100-$200 to have it delivered and assembled if there are any stairs involved. Otherwise, rent a U-Haul. It won't fit in a standard SUV.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:29 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:36 pm
Many times the structure of the couch lasts a good long time but the upholstery gets too dirty and worn. Re-upholstering usually costs more than buying a new sofa/couch.
Reupholstering costs about the same as a cheap couch. A good couch, though, looks better, and will last practically forever. There’s really no comparison. We’re using one my mother-in-law had custom made in the 40’s. It was in my wife’s house growing up, and ours when our kids were growing up. It’s been reupholstered 9 times. Maybe 10. Some say more than 10. There have been family arguments about this number. It’s still a very nice couch. It will last the rest of our lives, and then some.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:54 am

I bought a recliner sofa for our TV room last year. Was very surprised at the low(ish) cost. They had a lot of nice looking stock

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Flexsteel sofas are well made, not that expensive, and have a reputation for lasting a long time.

We bought ours for around $1000 on sale and it's much better than pricier couches I've owned previously,

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:11 pm

I don't care about brand, but think about functionality. Length and depth are key. Get something that is easy to lay down on and doesn't scrunch one person up. Also, we are going to get a deeper one in the near future. It's so much more comfortable for both people to be able to lay down when there is ample room.

An example would be: https://www.americansignaturefurniture. ... 13/2005854